Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Ok, can someone who beat Inqusition spoil what the hell Morrigan is talking about?
My best guess is that since the DA writing team did plan ahead, they were trying to foreshadow something like Tresspasser-Solas. But it's was obviously deliberately written to be so cryptic and vague it could be interpreted anyway you'd like.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

You also could have had Logain or Alistair die to kill the Archdemon, in which case there WOULD be no child, which muddies what on earth Morrigan is up to even more if the child isn't an integral part.
:shrug: Inquisition solves that by there being a child anyway.
Bioware must have really regretted the whole persistent world-state idea. It barely worked for the Mass Effect trilogy that had a single main character. Them trying to do that for a whole setting where each sequel would focus on new chracters and have a different plot focus was always way to ambitious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Ok, can someone who beat Inqusition spoil what the hell Morrigan is talking about?

It is never directly shown or stated that Morrigan knows of a specific thing that Flemeth is planning to do, but given what she at this point either knows for certain about Flemeth, or at least suspects (ancient god-king that can gently caress the world up) is enough information to be extremely terrified of Flemeth's plans and start stockpiling power and looking for ways out.

Lore spoilers about World History of Thedas to give context:
1. The world as it is right now is literally the ruins of the ancient elven civilization - before they hosed poo poo up massively, there was no Veil and no division between Fade and waking world.
2. Ancient elves were slaves to a small cohort of immensely powerful godlike mage-kings (see list of gods currently worshiped by the Dalish).
3. One of the god-kings was a rebel, uprising happened, didn't go very well, god-king hosed the world up by creating the Veil and locking the rest of god-kings away. We know him as the Dread Wolf
(and also, Solas).
4. Another one of the god-kings was maybe not as much of a dick as others, and was killed for it (which is what precipitated Dread Wolf's uprising tendencies). We know her as Mythal.
5. Since what use is god-kingness if you can just be killed willy-nilly, some part of Mythal survived in the Fade. Flemeth is a Mythal abomination.
6. As dicks are wont to do, ancient elven god-kings were the ones who brought the source of the Blight to Thedas.
7. Whatever else the remnants of Mythal that fused with Flemeth care about, they very much care about fixing that poo poo.
8. Since the world is running out of Elder Dragons for controlled Blights, and no new solutions seem to emerge, it is quite likely that Flemeth decided to go fo unspecified drastic measures that might be hard to survive for anybody, and would most definitely completely change the world as we know it.

Oh and also Morrigan left the Warden some breadcrumb source pointing to potential solutions to their personal Taint problem.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Raygereio posted:

:shrug: Inquisition solves that by there being a child anyway.

Actually, there isn't always a child. The non-god child is what happens if the Warden romances Morrigan, but the ritual is not performed. If the ritual is not performed and Morrigan wasn't romanced, there is no child at all. At least, to my understanding.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

IIRC Gaider once went off and indirectly said "This isn't Mass Effect, there's going to be a canon storyline and we decide who lived and died in which game etc.". I think it was specifically about defiling the ashes and killing Leliana.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The End

No Moral

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nah, there's a moral. It's that dragon age mages suck and make everything go wrong.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Thanks for showing all that off, and adding your own magic touch, Inferior.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Lokapala, I don't think point six is correct but otherwise it's pretty accurate other than some very minor nitpicks.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Kavak posted:

IIRC Gaider once went off and indirectly said "This isn't Mass Effect, there's going to be a canon storyline and we decide who lived and died in which game etc.". I think it was specifically about defiling the ashes and killing Leliana.

Is Liliana just alive anyway in Inquisition if you killed her in Origins? I can't imagine they remade THAT much.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, there's a moral. It's that dragon age mages suck and make everything go wrong.
Actually, if you take Inquisition into account, it's the elves that suck and make everything go wrong.

So I guess the moral of Dragon Age is that oppressed minorities are terrible and the monarchy is great. Huh. Hm.

That's a good summary of the lore bombs Inquisition drops.

I never made the connection between Morrigan's "gift" here and the Warden going AWOL during Inquisition though, but it actually makes a lot of sense.

Tylana posted:

Thanks for showing all that off, and adding your own magic touch, Inferior.
Thanks man, it's been a blast!

Screaming Idiot posted:

THE REAL FOOOOOOOLK BLUUUUUUUUES...
:sax:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Is Liliana just alive anyway in Inquisition if you killed her in Origins? I can't imagine they remade THAT much.

If I remember right, it's both yes and no. Yes she is there, but at the end she turns out to be Andraste or her avatar or some poo poo. Even if she becomes notPope.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Inferior posted:

So I guess the moral of Dragon Age is that oppressed minorities are terrible and the monarchy is great. Huh. Hm.

The real moral is never do the X-Men thing where your minority stand-in has fearsome and uncontrollable superpowers, giving the oppressors practical reasons for their bigotry. LGBT people cannot randomly be possessed by demons and explode. Stop doing this in stories, writers.

Also Inquisition never fails to make me laugh with "Those tattoos you get, the pride of your culture and the symbol of your independence and freedom from humans? They used to be slave brands for the elf gods. Come on, it's okay, they still have their previous meaning even though everything you believed about them and your past is a total lie!"

Where's the "Monarchy is great" part come in?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Eluvians are a much bigger deal in Trespasser DLC than the main game of Inquisition. Morrigan will drag one to Skyhold and it's a minor plot element, moreso if babby was formed. In Trespasser though, they're like fuckin' 7-11's, one on every corner and everyone and their dog stops in for coffee.

Also amazing job, Inferior :woop:

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I think if anything Inquisition tries to make the case that all institutions in Thedas suck.
- Ancient elves? check
- Dalish elves? check
- Tevinter Imperium? check
- Chantry? check
- Templars? check
- Orlais? check
- Qunari? check
- Grey Wardens? check

- Demons? actually, not so bad (retroactively), they only suck because people are evil and influence spirits around them.

And yes, congrats on a fantastic LP!

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Really have to add in my two cents to the crowd of people congratulating you for your writing here, Inferior. I've played DAO dozens of times over the course of a decade or so now, but never finished Origins & Awakening in a run, let alone all the other DLC. I don't know how you managed this herculean feat, but I'm really glad that you did, and the snippets of dialogue that you did for the characters as well as some of the other jokes like the ones in the 'last time on...' segments made the entire thing that much more enjoyable.

As much as you deserve a year-long vacation, I hope to see your next project as soon as possible for purely selfish reasons.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Kavak posted:

Where's the "Monarchy is great" part come in?
Bianca is a princess! Also, the working class usurper is ineffectual as a ruler, and Ferelden can only be saved by restoring the one true king to the throne. :hist101:

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Inferior posted:

Bianca is a princess! Also, the working class usurper is ineffectual as a ruler, and Ferelden can only be saved by restoring the one true king to the throne. :hist101:

To be fair, that's be an ultranationalist usurped from the lesser landowner class.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

They actually managed to come up with a semi-decent explanation for that. If Leliana get killed in Origins then the Leliana running around after that is actually a Faith Spirit that had been hanging around the ashes and was impressed enough by her fanaticism/belief in the maker that it decided to go be her for a while and see what it's like

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Great job, Inferior! More like Superior! Because of the great job! That you did!

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

Rutkowski posted:

Lokapala, I don't think point six is correct but otherwise it's pretty accurate other than some very minor nitpicks.

Andruil dug deep hunted too far and too avidly, went crazy to the tune of becoming unrecognisable in her personality, and brought something home, as a result of which "plague ate her lands". That's the best we've got so far, but all the connections check out, including Mythal's personal interest in stopping that bullshit.

And thank you for the amazing LP, Inferior, I still can't believe it's been over 4 years. I'm in equal awe of your ability to write in complement with the game and the superhuman regularity of updates!

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Lokapala posted:

That's the best we've got so far,
Except for the part where everyone, including the darkspawn, say it came from that time the Tevinter Magisters invaded the Golden City.

And that doesn't even get into the implication that it's actually a disease contracted by the Titan that supports Thedas.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Stroth posted:

They actually managed to come up with a semi-decent explanation for that. If Leliana get killed in Origins then the Leliana running around after that is actually a Faith Spirit that had been hanging around the ashes and was impressed enough by her fanaticism/belief in the maker that it decided to go be her for a while and see what it's like

Having not actually played Inquisition, but not caring too much about spoilers, this is actually surprising to me. I had assumed the explanation was merely a handwave-y "She survived her injuries somehow", but Leliana being replaced with a Faith spirit after she died? Very interesting.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Promethium posted:

I think if anything Inquisition tries to make the case that all institutions in Thedas suck.
- Ancient elves? check
- Dalish elves? check
- Tevinter Imperium? check
- Chantry? check
- Templars? check
- Orlais? check
- Qunari? check
- Grey Wardens? check

- Demons? actually, not so bad (retroactively), they only suck because people are evil and influence spirits around them.

And yes, congrats on a fantastic LP!

I've always thought that the biggest theme in the series is more "institutions that have lost their way."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Inferior posted:

Yeah I think it's coincidental to Loghain's blind nationalism, but forget it, congratulations on a marathon loving Let's Play!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Moon Slayer posted:

I've always thought that the biggest theme in the series is more "institutions that have lost their way."
Inquisition is fairly explicit about this. Lots of the characters (including the PC) talk about how "sure, the Inquisition is a good thing now and is necessary, but once we solve this problem how do we make sure we don't turn into a bunch of assholes later on?"

DA is also big on "things we thought were gone are coming back" like dragons and ancient Tevinter magisters. I never read any of the tie-in books but apparently they also found some griffin eggs so those might be coming back too, assuming Bioware doesn't totally poo poo the bed with DA4 (and going by their past few games that is a huge assumption).

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

BlazetheInferno posted:

Having not actually played Inquisition, but not caring too much about spoilers, this is actually surprising to me. I had assumed the explanation was merely a handwave-y "She survived her injuries somehow", but Leliana being replaced with a Faith spirit after she died? Very interesting.

I mean the real reason is just that there’s no way Gaider wasn’t going to keep the nineteen year old bisexual red headed French assassin-nun around of course. But at least someone recognized the oncoming poo poo storm and decided to get ahead of it.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 2, 2019

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

Stroth posted:

Except for the part where everyone, including the darkspawn, say it came from that time the Tevinter Magisters invaded the Golden City.

And that doesn't even get into the implication that it's actually a disease contracted by the Titan that supports Thedas.

I'm pretty sure that invading a remnant of ancient elven god-kings holdings is an excellent way to get infected with leftover bullshit they had stashed there.

And yes, ancient god-kings also infected one or more titans, because they were dicks and were hunting poor titans for those sweet, sweet cores they turned into their foci.

The DA2 lyrium idol explicitly predates Magisters assaulting the Golden City.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thanks Inferior! I loved DA:O back in the day and I've read along with this LP from start to end. Great job!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thanks for all the updates, Inferior. I still remember the updates about Wraith and Bear's Big Days Out with amusement.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The city in the fade was already messed up by the time the magisters made it there, because Elves Are The Worst.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Ibblebibble posted:

Thanks for all the updates, Inferior. I still remember the updates about Wraith and Bear's Big Days Out with amusement.

Ash wraith's day out was the best.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
What a spectacular ride this has been. Inferior, ya done good.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
This has been a great, long, exhaustive ride and I'm really grateful you made it.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Holy poo poo you did it, you absolute madgoon. I remember reading the first two updates fresh, starting my own playthrough, trying out all the origins before settling in and beating the story twice at opposite ends of the morality spectrum. Moved on because of fatigue to DA2 without doing any of the add-on campaigns - only beat it once because ehhh, before trying DAI and quitting like 10 hours in because of all the busywork.

Your enjoyable dialogue additions and swift forays through monotonous dungeons and fights kept my attention and made me learn a lot of things I missed. You deserve a rest and quite possibly a medal.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’m so impressed you finished this! What a journey it was too, I only started reading it a few months back but it has been consistently awesome. Huge congratulations due to you.

So, what’s next? DA2?

I jest, but if anyone could break the curse, you could!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I think someone here did pull off a complete vlp of 2. Dunno if it got archived.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

I think someone here did pull off a complete vlp of 2. Dunno if it got archived.

Yep.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Helith posted:

I’m so impressed you finished this! What a journey it was too, I only started reading it a few months back but it has been consistently awesome. Huge congratulations due to you.

So, what’s next? DA2?

I jest, but if anyone could break the curse, you could!

I'm still mildly annoyed that Shadow Isaac's DA2 Lp was locked and I think he was banned over it. It was the most searing pile of viciousness I've ever seen and the entire thread was glorious.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Good work on the thread, Inferior! This has been a great ride ^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Good lord 4 years. And I was there back at the beginning too. Not even sure I can say I accomplished as much as this novel length LP in that time either.