Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
World of Warcraft offers a unique title for completing an agonizingly boring and grindy set of tasks. Naturally, people go out of their way to earn it because ooh, shiny rare title. What do you need to do? You need to maximize several reputations that were introduced in the base game that have no real purpose and that were half-implemented at best. This also requires having good standing with two factions that oppose each other, which makes it even more complicated. Here's some of the numbers needed...

Kill 4400 Syndicate members and turn in 1405 lockboxes of a certain type. Only one class can pickpocket, and you don't get a lockbox each time you steal from an appropriate level creature. One guide describes a good rate being 120-180 lockboxes per hour...

Kill 2500 Booty Bay NPCs.

Kill 26330 Southsea pirates.

Do daily quests and item turnins for a faction active only one week out of every month. (It used to be worse, accepting item turnins only.)

There was one more step that was later removed: the Shen'dralar, a faction so minor they were eventually axed. The only way to earn reputation with them was hunting down rare drop books (which were unique, meaning only one could be kept in your inventory at a time) to make a special armor enchantment. Making this enchantment also needed annoyingly rare items that could not be sold or traded.

When this was first implemented, it was a jaw-droppingly agonizing grind. What did you get from it?

An achievement called Insane in the Membrane and "the Insane" title. :bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
The MMO Guild Wars 2 invented a wonderfully trolly item sink. For context, there's a kind of crafting item called Globs of Ectoplasm. They're used to make all sorts of useful and desirable goods, and they're one of the most commonly traded items between players. They tend to be earned slowly: I'm estimating that the average player has less than 50 of them. The developers watch the prices of globs of ectoplasm and deliberately guide the player-decided prices close to a certain number to ensure that they're both valuable, but not too expensive either.

Enter a mechanism designed to suck up excess ones. A trader was patched in who will let you gamble your money and globs of ectoplasm away for the possibility of more valuable returns. Of course, the odds are not in the player's favor. The biggest sum he'll take at once is 250. There's also an achievement tied to this most expensive option too: do this 100 times, and you'll get a special item! What does it do?

It summons this very same merchant for more gambling.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I'm watching a friend play through Final Fantasy 10, and I just remembered dick move that game pulls on players. A good ways into the game, your party gets to a city named Home. It's in the middle of being attacked, with shrill music, alarms blaring, and corpses littering the ground. You're encouraged to hurry, hurry, hurry through it ASAP by the characters, and there's plenty of cutscenes to herd you forward.

Thing is, there's some irreplaceable treasures hidden there: Al Bhed Primers, books that help you translate the peculiar language cipher of the Al Bhed people. Some of them are in side rooms that are easy to miss entirely, including one you have to backtrack for. If you do backtrack, your party member Rikku starts reprimanding you for checking out the optional rooms.

So what happens if you don't pick up the primers? Home gets leveled to the ground and they're lost forever. Unless you upload the missing chapters from a different save file, you'll have gaps in the translation every time someone speaks Al Bhed. Sure, you can usually fill in the blanks yourself, but it's kinda annoying. :argh:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

im pooping! posted:

if you're salty about them talking poo poo because you're the guild master, just murder them. its not like you didnt do everything they had to offer

The game doesn't allow you to kill them, ever. A huge amount of Skyrim's NPCs are unkillable under any circumstances.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
This one is a famous troll, but I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread. Final Fantasy 12's Zodiac Spear.

The Zodiac Spear in that game is the single most powerful weapon available. How do you obtain it? Well... There's an easy way to get one and a hard way to get one, but the easy way involves a convoluted method you would never guess if you didn't read a guide. There's four arbitrary treasure chests in the game that must not be opened, and there's no indication of them being special. You can bump into the first one in less than an hour into the game. 3/4 are all encountered very early, but the 4th is hiding in an area 10+ hours after them. If you successfully avoid all 4 chests, the spear will appear in an optional dungeon halfway through the game.

So, what happens if you bungle that but still want to obtain it? It can be found in a randomly spawning treasure chest in a much, much later optional dungeon. The odds of the chest spawning and containing the Zodiac Spear? 1 in 1000.

Keep in mind that Final Fantasy 12 is a very long, very dense game packed with nasty optional dungeons and boss fights. Anything that gives an edge is a big help, but most players will throw away their chance at getting the best weapon in the first hour of the game without even knowing it. This looks too complicated to be done by accident, so I'm betting it was either a "social experiment" or an attempt to push players to look at guides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
The Witcher 3 has always had problems with one of its features; the horse the main character rides. She's infamously fussy, hard to control, and susceptible to strange bugs.

The game just recently got its final DLC. There's an obscure quest hidden in the new land that finally lets you confront Roach's oddities in an unexpected way. After you finish the quest, she is finally added to the Character listing, despite being there from the start of the game.

If you want to see what happens, Youtube has you covered. (No idea why Geralt looks like an rear end there, though :v:)

• Locked thread