Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

Zybourne Clock is still the best thing this forum has or will ever produce.

Croccers posted:

Wasn't 2 Girls 1 Cup funded on Goon money?

You're all wrong, the best thing to come from SA was when Glenn Beck accused goonfleet of being a CIA front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pastry of the Year posted:

Yeah, when I want to know how to pass one particular troublesome spot in a game from pretty much the beginning of console history, gently caress FAQs: what I want is a 13-minute video in whose thumbnail is a gape-mouthed, headphoned, goateed millennial screaming MILON'S SECRET CASTLE PT. 14??? I BARFED poo poo AND BLOOD?!?!?! in a font stolen from Comicraft.

Having a text-only repository for explanations of pretty much every game ever is a net good. GameFAQs as a resource is great, and I'm glad dum-dums get fired up on a regular basis so that the GameFAQs ad machine gets fed and I can be assured access to stuff I might want to know.

Who said anything about that? IGN has pretty much supplanted gamefaqs these days. They have a wiki system set up and it's organized a whole lot better than traditional walkthroughs.

e: IGN also has pictures too, those help a lot

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Crossposting from a GBS thread:

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

in the inventory of a random NPC that has no other connection to anything or anyone in the world and never gives you any indication at all that they have the item and doesn't offer any possible means of getting it from them except murder

actually, do this several times, because it's such a cool thing to do

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Shotherra
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Erundil
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Gluronk_gra-Shula
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Dro%27Zaymar

strictly speaking that last guy is connected to a fighter's guild quest but I don't think the fighter's guild questline is usually concurrent with the morag tong for most people

For the quest these are attached to, you have to find and collect 26 relatively innocuous enchanted items. 22 are found while you're doing other quests, and 4 of them have no hints to there locations whatsoever. None of the enchantments are that great, so unless you know about the quest you're probably just going to pass up or sell the item instead of holding onto it. This is a Morag Tong quest, which not many players even bothered with because they're the assassins of the game. Joining up with them will lock you out of a bunch of other questlines, since they have you killing everybody. But, the reward for doing it?

quote:

Once you turn in all 27 Sanguine items to Eno Hlaalu, you are rewarded with Mephala's Skill, a cheap spell that grants Chameleon 50 pts and Fortify Attack 10 pts for 60 seconds for 30 magicka and never fails. This is the only way of acquiring the Fortify Attack effect for creating custom spells.

In gameplay terms, what fortify attack means is that it increases your chance to hit. Morrowind doesn't work like the later Elder Scrolls games where all you have to do is connect an attack with the monster, because that would be too easy. Instead, after you attack, the game rolls a d20 in the background to determine if you hit. At the higher levels it isn't so bad, even though you still have a 5% chance of missing no matter what, but at the lower levels it's atrocious. When you just start the game out you'll find yourself wailing at monsters over and over, with maybe every one in ten hits actually connecting. Now, there are a few other places where you can find something to give you the fortify attack effect, but this is the only place where you can learn how to cast it yourself. As they said, this means you can create custom spells with it -- which is the only way to give yourself fortify attack 100 points. Since it's a flat percentage increase, this means that at its max level you can't miss. As far as I know this is the only way in the entire game to get a guaranteed hit chance for your weapons.

They fixed the garbage combat system in the game, but they hid it behind a quest that few players will ever find and practically nobody will ever complete. :allears:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure you just answered your own question

e: it has a 72 on metacritic from the professional reviewers, and a 3.4 from the fans. I think the last game I saw with a disparity that big was Total War: Rome 2

Wanamingo has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Dec 20, 2015

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sleeveless posted:

Cactus is the guy who made Hotline Miami, he's very much all about being experimental and weird as gently caress.

Everybody always says that Cactus is the guy who did Hotline Miami, but nobody ever mentions his best game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2wpu8gS_18

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

It's the game heavily filled with olden days style Mexican culture (dio de los muertes, luchadores, etc etc) whether or not that's racist is up to you. It's a metroidvania brawler.

Really, the worst thing about the game was that it was loaded down with memes. I tried to play it when I got it in a humble bundle, but I couldn't stand it because of them. Apparently they re-released it with all the internet references scrubbed out, but I'm not paying for another copy of a game I already own.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gestalt Intellect posted:

:laffo: if things like a billboard in the background that references minecraft made you completely stop playing the game

I just have a low tolerance for crap like that. :shrug:

It's the same reason I couldn't get into Dust, that game was way too aggressively anime for me.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AlphaKretin posted:

Someone said they didn't want to pay again for the same game, but isn't it free if you had the original? I'm fairly sure it popped up on my Steam library.

The Gold edition is free, but the Super Turbo edition is the one with all the memes removed. It looks like there used to be an 80% discount for people who own the original, but they stopped doing that.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Somfin posted:

Fair call, I'll back off. Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread.

Oh wow, that avatar. Looks like Non Serviam got sour as gently caress over you calling him out. :allears:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Non Serviam posted:

So, yes, it is pathetic. Enjoy and keep it up.

He's right, though. Call of Juarez was racist as gently caress.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Somfin posted:

That is fantastic. Do the candy canes blink from phase to phase or do they smoothly animate to an eaten state?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZKxEhcstYA

The least common achievement in that game is one that only 1.3% of players have gotten. If we assume that every single one of those people used an achievement unlocker to get it, then it still means that a minimum of 2.4% of the people who played Saints Row 4 actually bothered to go through the entire eight minutes of listening to that one noise.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AlphaKretin posted:

There's also one for "click on door 304 5 times." If you do, the narrator chides you for thinking that's all it takes to get an achievement and asks you to click on the door several more time, then another door, and sends you around the office clicking on random objects, getting more and more excited about how close you to the achievement. This naturally culminates in clicking on door 304 five more times, to massive celebration and the achievement, which fills in from the greyscale you see above to rainbow. :haw:

Can you cut out the middle part and just go straight to the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

There's a new movie coming out next week that's a 100% first person action movie that looks pretty crazy, it's called Hardcore Henry.

That looks really dumb. It wasn't good when the Doom movie did it, it's not going to be good now.

• Locked thread