Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I think the best part of the Chroma Squad title screen deal is how the scan lines and old fashioned TV screen curve go away after a few moments everywhere in the game except the title screen. I had to go back and double check because I just assumed "Oh well it would be legible in a few seconds anyway because the scan lines go awa-oh, ooooh."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

Sabrina was the trollest fight in that entire game. Level 50 Alakazam with Recover, and unlimited PP because that's how AI opponents worked in Gen 1? Why not!

Is there any Pokemon game where a Psychic and/or Ghost loving gym leader isn't bullshit? I've only ever played and beaten the old Red/Blue, with and a dust collecting copy of Platinum I never got around to beating (guess what Gym I left off in :downs:)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dr_Amazing posted:

How about the death of shadow in FF6? They tell you to hurry hurry hurry off the island and put a ticking clock in the car be. But do it too fast and the most badass character dies.

Yeah. Even though I knew about that ahead of time, I waited for a long time then decided I probably screwed up some flag somewhere and left. After the fact I looked up it was down to what, single digit seconds?

Memento posted:

Another troll from a video game back in the day: if you finished Ultima Underworld with any of your skills over 30, a thing that was possible to do legitimately within the mechanics of the game, it assumed you edited your save file and instead of giving you the proper ending, it said something like "You finished Ultima Underworld in 7 hours, 52 minutes, and cheated on your character!"

I am imagining the game telling you this in the most neckbeard of voices, like a GM convinced there was no way you could have managed without fudging your sheet in their clearly perfectly balanced campaign.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I have no idea how true or not Steam changing their EA policies in response to the Space Base situation I heard in passing from someone is or not. It would be funny if it was, but I doubt it.

I'm just in the "Well, that's disappointing" camp but then I only got Steam EA and I didn't throw more money into a kickstarter like other people. Watching DF be poo poo at PR about the whole thing was at least entertaining.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Grandmother of Five posted:

On this topic; see Toonstuck 2. Christopher Lloyd in a FMV point & click adventure game did at least happen once, and no, I don't know where that might be available anywhere either :/ I remember Toonstuck 2 having full-page ads and people would swear by the game being real and having played it at some friend or cousin's house

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toonstruck#Re-release_and_Sequel

GOG has the first toonstruck at least these days.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lord Lambeth posted:

I never liked the vanguard all that much, I played a sentinel in ME2 and a Engineer in ME3. :shrug: The sentinel's armor in ME2 basically made you impossible to kill.

I was an engineer my first straight playthrough and my only dislike for the class was due to them adding thermal clips therefore not being able to go hog wild with the biggest loving handgun possible just due to ammo constraints. I just loved having every single tech mine power in the game.

I never liked sentinel for various petty reasons starting in ME1 and stayed that way.

ME1: Wait, I don't even have a loving pistol skill? Kaiden, you are a Sentinel? This is a mercy killing. Your suffering is over.
ME2: I hear they get fancy tech armor, maybe I should give them a cha-Where the gently caress is Lift/Pull? That was my favorite power :argh:
ME3: Oh hey they have lift again-limited use grenades? :what: :fuckoff:

Lift making a comeback but being turned into a limited use grenade was a little personal gently caress you for me, even if Pull was functionally the same.

I really should try Vanguard sometime. Because not only do they have the Biotic charge everybody does on about, but they have Lift/Pull through the entire series which is my personal favorite biotic power :neckbeard:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Spek posted:

I agree. Especially the weapon mods system which was the most fun weapon system I've seen in a shooter. Being able to turn my sniper rifle into a long range rapid fire machine gun or make it so it fires huge exploding bullets but overheats every shot and everything in between was awesome. It's like having all the cool weapon modifiers of a gear treadmill game like Borderlands only without the bullshit RNG determining if I can find a weapon I actually want to use or not.

By the end, even without a Specter Gun, the mods system made having "Only" a pistol feel like you were running around with the Golden Gun from Goldeneye 64.

In the sequels, even if you land nothing but headshots and carry as many ammo capacity things as possible, heavy pistols in the sequels just don't last... Also I missed the big ol SMG upgrade like an idiot in ME2 and had to load an earlier save to get it because gently caress PERMANENTLY MISSABLE WEAPONS IN ME2.

"Oh wait there was a one time only accessible assault rifle if I look at something on Morinth's apartment wall instead of progressing the plot" So bringing it back to something that at least feels in theme with the thread.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

pentyne posted:

That's one of those unintended problems that turns out to be hilariously perfect even when it doesn't work as intended. My favorite was the one reviewer who deliberately avoided the romance aspect of the game so when they got to that point the "beloved" was captured it was the blacksmith that the player kept buying stuff from the most.

This is loving amazing :allears:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

many johnnys posted:

Peanuts were the best because when you use them in SOTN they get tossed in front of you, and you have to catch them to get mediocre healing. If they fall on the floor then they do nothing.

Beaten to it but yes this was loving amazing.

Both because I loved the silly little animation for eating peanuts, and also because clearly this food you found on the floor and were going to eat is no good to you now that YOU dropped it :downs:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

1stGear posted:

I really enjoy how Bethesda didn't remotely consider the possibility of someone killing Dagon so instead of a death animation or even just flopping over in a lovely but coherent way, the model completely breaks down. ~*award winning game developer*~

I kinda like it. Because why should 'Whoops, the God died... Wait what' have a normal death animation?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

Oh, another fun troll for Dark Souls are the Vagabond monsters.

Did someone say Vagabonds?

Fun Fact: They fire homing missiles.

Bonus: If you recognize where that is. It was my first time there. It spawned all four attempts.

My first mostly blind play through of DS1 was a few months after DS2 came out. But despite the crazy bullshit happening to me like that, I just felt that DS1 let me make more mistakes to stumble my idiot newbie way through than DS2 does, if that makes any sense?

Like, I'd even make it through areas and bosses on the first shot and feel like it was more of a slog because of how careful I had to be to not take more than one hit in a row between heals from the majority of enemies. Like, I'd kill the scorpion lady/snake lady/giant spider on the first try after not dying in their respective areas (and then wiki up items I missed). But I took a million years slowly plodding my way through like the saddest terminator because if I didn't my bad at game self would have died constantly instead.

So many cool things and legit improvements over DS1. Just something about it didn't quite click with me I guess, so I figure that's an issue on my end.

Section Z has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Oct 23, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Alabaster White posted:

:can:

Dark Souls 2 had noticably worse enemy, level, and encounter design. It also pulls a LOT of unfair dick moves on you. For instance, in the enhanced re-release version, there's a chest in one zone that has a latch on it (in DS2 you tell the difference between regular chests and mimics because regular chests do not have latches), and it's conveniently sitting in an oil pit. So you shoot a fire arrow at it or give it a big smack, and... the chest crumbles, permanently destroying the fairly rare item inside it. For some reason this one chest is the only chest in the series that looks like a mimic and isn't.

Yeah, I know it's a touchy subject. But I figure since I'm able to actually filter it through "But I'm not what you would call :airquote: 'good' at Dark Souls" it lets me help pick out what felt a bit off, and what felt like "Well that was me being a complete fuckup, AGAIN.". Without just blanket stating "Ugh this game is so bad because I don't like it as much amiright?"

Oh lordy lord I am so glad I googled up how I frames work in DS2. I picked Warrior Start like before, and in DS2 the way Dodge frames work, Warrior start has less I Frames than a Fat roll from DS1 :doh: Things got a lot more forgiving after I upped my Agility to not have I frames literally worse than is possible in DS1 even when naked flipping.

Gotcha dick moves are gimmicks you can learn from and not fall for again just through natural gameplay, even if still a bitch when it's your first run through and you loose out on a cool chest item. (I am amazed I survived falling into the pit of basilisks in the woods in DS2).

Stuff like the above "you basically have to google your core game mechanics" on the other hand, I get much more butthurt over.

EDIT: That old durability bug can get hosed though. I literally bashed every wall and swung multiple times through corpses no problem with smaller weapons, like when I went on a rampage through earthen keep with a the same mace the whole time (was pretty low durability by the time I beat the boss though).

But the second I picked up big fun weapons like large clubs, they may as well have been made of balsa wood. First try against skeleton lords my large club exploded while there were some bonewheels left to clear. Second try, I barely lost any durability form my Mace, which had less max durability anyways. "Well just be more careful with your swings!" Bitch, I'm literally killing multiple enemies with a single swing, I'd have to kill them without swinging at all to be more efficient :argh:

This brings the post on topic because when they didn't fix the durability bug when they released sins of the scholar, the devs tried to pass it off as "Oh, that's a Feature".

Section Z has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Oct 23, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't God Hand one of those games that gets harder if you play well?

Yeah, but getting hit lowers it again so I never really saw Level DIE all that often as I stumbled my way through it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Len posted:

God Hand was a brilliant game and it disappoints me that cloverPlatinum hasn't made another game using that style combat system.

Well, since we are past the PS2 era I think even Platinum Knows a Tank Controls beatem-up game would be too niche audience even for them to get away with.

Brigador, a (admittedly Isometric view) game where you literally drive Tanks (and Mechs, and hover cars with guns strapped to them, and-) has tank controls for everything but Hovers and the devs keep getting posters and reviews moaning about the tank controls, again, in a game where you drive literal Tanks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm still early in the plot because I can't help but zigzag around doing everything but go to my quest markers, so maybe his repeating dialogue gets better the later in you are.

But my assumption, is that people are wanting real bad for the guy to remind them of Lazlo from GTA. Who would actually get funny lines at times because he talked about more than just the songs he played (which he had more of) or people calling in, or whatever like ranting about how an Eagle is taking his DJ job.

Sad Radio Man just... doesn't have anything to play off of, really.

ChogsEnhour posted:

Maybe watching too much "On Cinema" has spoilt me, but that "awkward" style the DJ has just seems so forced and bad.

See also, On Cinema. Where the awkward guy has someone else to play off of instead of just quietly rambling to himself occasionally.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm not sure if it counts as a troll, or just a bug, but in FO:4, fast-traveling to Vault 75 resulted in being transported right on top of a frag mine. :suicide:

There's another fast travel location that's literally five feet from that one (so still easy to suicide by mine if you don't pay enough attention,) so I think it's a bug, because that Vault entrance is inside a building that is still like 50 feet from that frag mine. I think the fast travel spot is bugged and should be in the building that has the actual elevator to the vault, maybe?

It's not just you, the exact same thing happened to me. I walked there normally initially, then when I fast traveled? BOOM. Fast traveling to the building next door put me just outside the trigger range of the THREE frag mines that were not there before.

It also shut the gate door inside the school leading to the vault entry, and put a tesla trap on the ceiling behind said gate that wasn't there before.

As far as I can figure, it just hosed up loading the traps the first time and then when face with an actual loading screen, remembered "Oh poo poo, there were supposed to be traps there wasn't there?"

Bethseda games :v: (And then inside vault 75 are shirtless men who could tank both upgraded sawed off shotgun blasts to the eyeballs, laser muskets, and legendary explosive ammo pipe rifles because they have the word "gunner" over their head, instead of "Raiders" in metal armor who you can basically one shot).

I get level differences as a concept, but it's much more easy to click when you revisit an area at level 11 instead of 5 and it's replaced all the ghouls with Super Mutants, instead of "Okay, so THIS human in metal armor is easy to kill, and THIS human wearing nothing but a leather shinguard and suspenders has laser resistant nipples"

If not for the fact every power armor raider I've seen had a Fatman, half naked "Gunners" would be 100% more dangerous. Because they've actually survived me unloading a 4 crank laser musket critical to the face (But power armor? Pfft, that's not gonna save a Raider from being one shot by a head crit).

Section Z has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Nov 16, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Honestly I wish there was some deliberate choice of if a Settlement counted as "yours" or not, and not literally every place you have wandered through at some point, previously populated or not, that is allowed to use the workshop build mode.

"Abernathy farms is under attack? Where the gently caress is-wait I haven't been there since the first half hour of the game when I did a newbie sidequest."

Like, I can understand the growing collection of locations that Peston specifically said "Hey, check these places out because they would make a sweet settlement/have people there who could join us!" being counted as stuff I need to look after. Not like they didn't tell me that was the whole point.

But all these other places I pass through and then never gave a second thought again until I'm told they are my responsibility and under attack hours later, not so much. "Oh two whole people decided to live there when I wasn't looking? Sucks to be them!"

I also got messages that settlements were under attack as magical pop ups (such as the mentioned farm attacks), before I did the castle and activated Minuteman Radio. So if anything, that's the troll because actually going out of your way to improve the minute men means either those handy pop ups no longer happen, or I've literally blinked and missed the last few.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"I'll start building rebuilding Sanctuary as soon as I find more than 4 units of food added to the workshop after 20 return trips and 10 levels, when I have four of you assigned to farm about 20 assorted plants...

Also, while I'm making impossible demands? As soon as I can pick up a preexisting chunk of fallen picket fence and put it back where it logically goes, instead of the snap-to system telling me to basically go gently caress myself"

Nuebot posted:

You can earn caps and you can set up trade routes so you can just dump your stuff in to any supply bin and use them all over. But honestly I don't think there is any incentive what so ever to do the settlement thing which is weird, aside from the random quests that pop out every so often.

I'd be all over multiple settlements if the Supplier talent actually gave you Resident Evil Item chest access. Instead of only letting you use off site junk and components from a build or crafting menu.

If your concern is building up multiple good settlements then it's a GREAT perk, and a huge QoL improvement.

But if you really just wanted an easier time customizing weapons, armor, and power armor, even with supplier perk you will just be fast traveling to the same location you keep your weapons and armor stockpile over and over. Because you need the weapons and armor in question on hand to do so.

Particularly power armor, as even when the parts are in a workbench 2 feet away from you? You can only swap out armor parts and fusion cores from your personal inventory. Want to replace those T-45 armor parts with those new T-60 parts you found? They gotta be in your pockets,.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

If you spend the time replacing/rearming them, the guns will shoot you. More importantly, they will drop a bunch of ammo casings that you need to clean up.

You are truly dedicated to your job and deserve space employee of the month.

I hear they fixed this now (haven't played since I bought it on a whim ages ago), but does the contents of your trash bin still shotgun out like a volcano of entrails and bullet casings painting the ceiling and landing on air ducts, if it tips over, and you have the nerve to use the upright alignment button? That would always create an even bigger and more impossible to clean up mess than I had started with whenever it happened :shepface:

I remember the playerbase wildly defending that as not the game's fault, but yours for not slowly trying to nudge it back upright by mashing an object into it. Just like they would defend body parts clipping through the bottom of the bin onto the floor with "don't put too much into the bucket, idiot" when all you had in there was a severed head and a leg.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Wait, people get into irrationally angry flamewars over a joke game about space janitors? :ughh:

It's the internet. People will defend literally anything with every fiber of their being from any constructive criticism.

Choco1980 posted:

To be fair, that sounds more like them RPing the fuckhead boss you'd deal with irl if you were a janitor, complaining that any messed caused while on duty is your own fault.

This would actually be cool if I could believe it was the case. But that would require more "Clearly you have violated the safe load rating of your container", and less "Shut up physics engines are hard"

Section Z has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Dec 8, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

I'm kind of baffled why gamefaqs still exists. Do people even write FAQs anymore? Every time I google a game to find out what to do when I get stuck or how to beat a boss it's always like IGN now or something that pops up. I don't think gamefaqs has been relevant since the early days of the PS3 and 360.

It's still often your best source of info for older "Games nobody gave a poo poo about but you like". most of the time that won't have a wiki or if they do, it's a poo poo wiki.

The best map I've found for a certain sidescrolling shooter on the NES, for example.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Of Cows and Wine in Just Cause 3. In a game is about zipping around and blowing poo poo up, this is a mission where you have to drive a janky-rear end truck downhill, dodging obstacles and praying you don't drop more than a couple of wine barrels or it's game loving over.

Making it with all the barrels is a hell of a lot easier when you remember you can tether things to other things, so at minimum you can leash two barrels to the truck so you can't lose em without flipping the truck over.

However, As far as I can tell, you get nothing for making it with every single barrel :downs:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

Most of the obtuse and byzantine secrets in JRPGs existed to sell strategy guides.

The best strategy guide for a video game was the from Space Quest 4. As in, the one literally inside the game. You travel to the future of Space Quest 10, and buy the Space Quest 4 Strategy guide in a bargain bin.

It's 90% useless hints unrelated to anything in the game, and one single relevant clue. Half the time travel code, and when only half of it shows up the narrator goes "Whoops! Looks like the hint module was faulty!"

Sure, you were meant to combine the code with the half you already found, but still.

Found by checking the body of a dead man in a birds nest, finding a gum wrapper, and examining the gum wrapper only to find half of the code ruined by the gum. Because of course time cop robots would in fact, chew gum, and use their time travel codes as gum wrappers :shepface:

I wish I knew offhand how many other games pulled the "Hint guide to the game you are playing, that you can find and read inside the game you are playing."

Trolling myself with "I did not grasp the concept of copy protection", SQ5 was my first Sierra game. I beat the first 1/20th of it at least a dozen times only to be stonewalled having no idea how to launch my ship, because I didn't know any of the space coordinates. Eventually, I finally realized the Galactic Enquirer it came with had star codes on the astrology pages... Baby's first case of "What the gently caress, Devs?"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LawfulWaffle posted:

I feel like there's a game or two that either give you the strategy guide for the game you are playing but don't let you look into it because "that wouldn't be fair," or "that would be too easy." I also think there's an example of a game's sequel having the previous game's strategy guide as an item, with the quip "This would have been handy last time/last year."

Or maybe I made them both up! :downs:

Veotax posted:

I think you could find the Fallout 2 guide in Fallout 2 in the weird post-game section after you finish the main quest. Reading it says something like "This would have been useful earlier" and bumps all your SPECIAL stats up to 10.

Yeah, them laying around as a joke is common enough. Like the above already mentioned for Sam and Max.

But one where the actual solution to an in game puzzle requires you to read the thing in the first place? That's much harder to think of.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of Space Quest and strategy guides, I ended up buying a really fancy one that had the first five games and was actually written like a novel. So instead of just giving the answers straight out they would describe it as part of a story.

I had no idea there was a Space Quest one of those. I got the Quest For Glory one, (with extra bits for class specific stuff). It was also nice enough to have a quick reference "Okay, here is the fast bulletpoints of gameplay for this area" if you got tired of reading the pretend story and just wanted to know what loving specific words the text prompt wanted in the second game.

"Exact loving words the text prompter wants" was more of A Thing in the early space quest games, even if you already worked out you needed to use a jockstrap as a sling to kill somebody with a stone :shepface:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dabir posted:

I swear a good half of DS2's mechanics were "Hey remember Dark Souls 1? Well gently caress you specifically!"

"Didn't google how this new Agility thing works? Have fun with your 5 Invincibility frames during a fast roll on your Warrior start! Yes we know the lowest possible I frames in DS1 is 9, what's your point?"

Meanwhile , you readily kill the gargoyles with a +0 mace or something, because enemies take hits like a bitch just as much as you do now half the time. I swear it feels like they missplaced a decimal point on damage dished out by both enemies and yourself. "Oh, a giant spider? I better be fancy bring a +3 weapon I guess."

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Alaois posted:

i think this is the first time i've ever seen someone complain that enemies weren't damage spongey enough

Eh, I'm not exactly what you would call "Good" and I never got around to beating it. But coming off a fresh first time playthrough of DS1 and into DS2, what stuff I did go through felt like rocket tag was the primary change in difficulty.

I know farther down the line enemies are even more spongey, especially if you go after the DLC or optional dragon. But the fact remains even my mediocre rear end could crush a good amount of early bosses without bothering to upgrade my weapons, and I went into giant spider with all of a +3 weapon because I had heard they were a complete bitch. Thank you, NPC summons keeping most of the small spiders off my back long enough to get through it the first try.

"Okay, even after investing in more health and armor, if I get hit more than once, MAYBE twice in a row between heals, I'm basically hosed. However, I have a +0 Mace, so this Flexile Sentry/Snake Lady/Scorpion Lady/Gargoyles/Giant Spider are hosed as well."

Speaking of spiders! Remember the super scope? Well, "Metal Combat: Falcon's revenge" was actually pretty sweet. One of the gimmicks of the short lived series was blowing bits off your enemy. Either to watch them try to fight you as nothing but a torso laying on the ground, or hoping for that sweet weakspot fast kill.

There was a spider robot boss that fired a big ol charge shot from a hatch that opened on it's back. So you shoot the obvious glowing weakspot right? Well if you do, they flip the gently caress out over losing their "weak spot" and start spinning wildly shooting nonstop, instead of the usual pattern of slower shots to snipe down. Not a bad bit of expectations fuckery, for a super scope game.

Section Z has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Feb 2, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Speaking of. Probably not as bad as the Barrens, but definitely the same kind of troll: The Hollows.

For people who don't know, The Hollows was the first optional zone in CoH, set in an area where a huge sinkhole opened up and unearthed a cave system and rock monsters. The lower level parts of the zone were the remains of the city itself, the sinkhole (and the parkland to the south) was for higher-level stuff.

The problem: the Hollows' level range was 6-15. The game's travel powers were unlocked at 14. So travelling around that sinkhole was both very hard, and necessary. The people angling for Flight could get Hover, allowing them to glide veeeery slowly over everything, but that wasn't very good either.

And the people who wanted Super Speed were double-hosed, since wven when they did get their travel power they had no verticality, making zones like the Hollows really painful even if you outlevelled the enemies.

I can't imagine doing Hollows stuff as super speed (or taking super speed at all) without also having Combat Jumping. Which turned super speed into "Bullshit run up anything that isn't a flat straight 90 degree wall" and got me out of those drat holes if I fell in while visiting for the Faultline Arc.

So, that probably wasn't possible back when the Hollows were new and relevant then :v:

God, the game opened up so much later on when anybody could get a jetpack for pocket change as soon as they made a character. Other MMOs not having cheap and plentiful jetpacks is such a cruelty.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I know it's not exactly a "Horror" game except for the fact you flee in terror from a muscle man with no pants as he casually walks through explosives that would instant kill you.

But "Breakdown" on original Xbox had some serious First Person View going. Doing spinning high kicks, backflips and side rolls? Guess what happens to your camera!

So I'm sure that it would cause a lot of people to puke just as much as the first person barfing scene.

Does anybody know offhand how many "first person melee" games have your camera anchored to your face to that degree?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wild T posted:

IIRC F.E.A.R. did this with your melee attacks as well, or I think it did if you jumped straight up and hit melee, which made you do a spinning roundhouse jumpkick. But compared to the other moves it was pretty much useless anyway since your fists and feet were one-hit kills and the jump added nothing to the attack. The running sweep-kick on the other hand probably ended more Replica Soldiers than my rifle.

The best thing about the slide kick was sending corpses flying at 900 miles per hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CaptainViolence posted:

The SAW movies will become obsolete as soon as Bethesda gets into VR and makes all prior works of body horror meaningless

The constant glimpses of your own eyes and teeth flickering into view. They turn back, you watch yourself scream.

• Locked thread