Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

The ending of Mass Effect 3. It's the loving Lost of the video game world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've only ever played Vanguard. I tried to play infiltrator a couple times and I just couldn't get past not being able to biotic slam the Christ out of everything.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Doc Morbid posted:

On my most recent New Vegas playthrough, I used a mod that increased the power armor's damage resistance to what it was in the old isometric games. As in, nothing except energy weapons, hefty explosives or a hit from a large deathclaw even makes a dent and you can just stomp through almost everything while drinking whiskey and singing "Iron Man". :unsmigghh:

The power armors in vanilla New Vegas already offer a ton of protection so you don't exactly need the mod, but it was fun to run around as a walking tank. That whole playthrough was more or less my "loving around with mods" run anyway.

The goddamned Sword of a Thousand Truths. I know at that point of game nerfing you may as well not bother, but you repaired it with beer and I ran around the wasteland like, "Stan?! Staaaaaaaaaan."

Fallout has had pretty solid balancing even back in the PC only days. Not perfect but still doable.

I like that they make the kids in the game act like the biggest shitheads (you can't kill them...I mean, obviously, child killer is a little far for a post-apocalyptic romp through DC/the desert).

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Len posted:

Is it a troll that Bethesda made the main character in FO4 straight and married? Because that seems to be irking people because it puts too much plot in their sandbox rpg.

bhlaab posted:

The back story of Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas are incredibly general and based on circumstance. In the tradition of pen & paper rpgs you are a clean slate of a person thrown into a situation by an inciting incident and free to make up your mind about the specifics of your past and personality.

In Fallout 1 you are from a vault. You might have friends and family, you might not. You might be very young or very old. There are no details about what your life was like before being sent to find a water chip. You can pretend you were a maintenance man or a nurse or anything in between if that sort of roleplaying floats your boat. You might enjoy being a vault dweller, or you might wish to be free. Maybe you volunteered to go find a water chip, maybe you were forced to, maybe you're too unintelligent to even understand the mission. You can immediately decide you don't care about the vault or the super mutants and just piss about. You won't get an ending that way, but the game never contradicts this possibility. You can even sell out your vault and join the mutants.

In Fallout 2 you are a tribal. You are the descendant of the main character from Fallout 1, and you are called "The Chosen One" and sent to find a geck. Again, the details of your personal life and feelings are completely up to you, and you can ignore your quest. Just because other people tell you that you are the chosen one doesn't mean your character necessarily believes it.

In New Vegas they went to even greater lengths to maintain vagueness. You're just some courier who took a job. You could be anybody or from anywhere-- your pick. At many points in the game NPCs will ask you why you are looking for Benny and the game pointedly offers a list of motivations and allows you to choose between things like revenge, information, getting the chip back to finish your delivery... or you can just not care about Benny or the chip. There is one DLC that adds something specific to your character's backstory: that you had a previous job to deliver something. Even that doesn't sit right with me, but it's one minor mark against it in a DLC.

Fallout 3 is a little more specific but still somewhat acceptable. Like Fallout 1 you are a vault dweller, but this time you are very specifically eighteen years old. The circumstances of your birth and family life are set in stone: You definitely have a father and you definitely don't have a mother. That being said, it is up to you whether or not you hate your Dad, even if it isn't reflected by the game perfectly. For example, on your 10th birthday you can shoot him in the head with a BB gun until he passes out and he doesn't seem to care. He will scold you for detonating a nuclear bomb in the middle of a town, but he still trusts you with saving the wasteland with a water purification scheme that doesn't make any sense. The game is clearly built around the idea that you love the Dad character, but it does acquiesce to you in small doses if you really push the idea that you do not. And you can just refuse to care about him and never bother to save him from Vault 112, like in the previous games, although it's sometimes difficult within dialogue choices to avoid the fact that the game intends you play along with its story (instead of the other way around).

Fallout 4 tosses all of the above out the window within the first 20 minutes. The game literally opens with the male character personally filling you in on what he's all about. Specific information inside the game states the following: You are either a married man or woman within the right age to have a relatively newborn baby. You are definitely not homosexual. You are definitely upper-middle class and come from a nice suburb. If you are the husband you've served in the military. If you are a woman you have a degree in law. You have a baby. The baby is definitely named Shaun. You definitely love this baby. You definitely love your spouse. You definitely mourn your spouse once he or she is dead. You very specifically state "I'm going to find my son". You definitely care about finding your son. Whether you hate newspapers or support news, however.... that much is up to you~

It's a reasonable complaint.

(edit)

vvv Lol dude the FO4 thread is like a thousand pages long and it's been out less than a week.

13Pandora13 has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Nov 15, 2015

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I've been saying this stuff since before the game came out, but this guy's put it way better than I have. Probably because he's actually played the game instead of not buying it because of this exact problem.

I'm already back to New Vegas. Maybe if, in a couple of years, there's modding that basically overhauls the dialog from the ground up I'll go back but whelp.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

gently caress mighty mighty man and butcher pete. Ugh.

The classical station is a nice addition but I don't like that it has things like ride of the valkyries which are tonally different from almost everything else on the station. It will be good when the mod tools come out and people can make their own stations again.

That, and Ride plays when you launch the ghouls into space in NV so it's just kind of...silly.

The violin station in 3 owned and I'd have liked for it to be more like that, but meh. I'll take what I can get.

TopHatGenius posted:

I like Butcher Pete. :shobon:

I can't hate on it. I burned a CD of FO3 music for my grandparents and my grandpa loves that song. :3:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Lord Chumley posted:

Are you on console? Not being a dick, New Vegas became unplayable after a while because the engine doesn't play well with with consoles. 4 probably does the same.

Even with NVAC installed on PC it crashes for me to the point of needing to hard shutdown my computer nearly every time I play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Alaois posted:

poo poo the prodigy did that back in the 90s with Smack My Bitch Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRITZjEb-2k

• Locked thread