Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Man people mention Monster Rancher 2 and don't mention the biggest troll which is that your Kato can never learn Oil Fire. There's this cat monster that drinks and smokes, but that's not appropriate for kiddies in the west, so Tecmo was told to remove alcohol references. Apparently though, Katos would request Rice Wine or something in the Japanese version which would lead to it unlocking an attack that lets it drink booze and spit it out on fire. They didn't program in a work-around so you're just left with a monster that can't learn one of it's only early high-power moves, the use of which was central to unlocking 2 of its later high-power moves. Basically Tecmo neutered the cat because we wouldn't let it drink and get high. The kicker though is that multiple Katos show up through the game, and most of them know Oil Fire so you're left wondering how you can unlock it, only to find it impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Pokemon Shuffle is a FTP puzzle game themed around the Pokemon Trozei series in which you pick a team of 4 Pokemon and match them in a puzzle area to try to catch other Pokemon to use to catch future Pokemon later on and etc etc etc. There are regular timed events held to allow you to catch new Pokemon, but some are competition stages where you compete with other players over the chance to get Mega Stones you can't get anywhere else. For context, Mega Stones will allow one of your puzzle piece Pokemon to get dramatic power ups that generally clear large portions of your puzzle area, allowing pieces to combo together easily and thus winning much faster, but you can only have one stone user on your team at a time.

There are Safari Zone events as well, where you will randomly fight one of a set number of Pokemon. Right now, there's an unlisted Pokemon, Phione, that has a 1% chance of showing up in the Safari. There's also a competition right now over a Mega Stone that spawns Phione pieces in the puzzle area, meaning that if you don't catch the one Pokemon that has a 1% chance to spawn, you have to deal with 5 puzzle pieces on the playing field, but if you DO catch it, you basically have 4 puzzle pieces with one that spawns twice as often.

Phione also has a very rare ability that, if activated as the first move in the combo, causes it to do more damage based on how many puzzle pieces of it in total are on the playing field.

Keep in mind this follows Candy Crush rules and you can only have 5 Hearts (basically currency to attempt stages) stored at a time, which regenerate One every 30 minutes.

tl;dr a limited time competition is skewed in favor of people who get lucky enough to run into something with a 1% chance to appear in a limited time stage you get limited attempts at playing per day.

And yes I understand the contrivances of the Free-To-Play format, doesn't make this any less frustrating since I've never run into the thing loving once.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Nuebot posted:

I immediately thought of another boss and I can't remember what game it's from but it's like that. A centipede made out of other enemies and whenever you beat one the others behind it would fall off and start roaming the stage making it a pain in the rear end to kill the boss because you'd either have to stop and kill the others while the boss did its thing, or try to ignore them while killing the boss. So it should be like that.

I think there was a Kingdom Hearts boss like that if you're not talking about the game Centipede.

• Locked thread