Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Seamonster posted:

Diablo 3 is its own can of worms but Whimsyshire therein is a "gently caress YOU" to the people who complained that the first screenshots of the game were "too bright" or "too colorful" or "not dark and gloomy enough"

There is this accelerating feedback cycle between game companies and consumers where constantly-iterating franchises become part of the conversation about themselves. I think I don't like it. I'm thinking of like Warcraft commercials or the meta stuff in Assassin's Creed The Pirate One or especially Dragon Age 2 where the characters are vaguely aware of being in a big sloppy erotic fanfic of themselves.

Does someone want this? It seems like the only reason to like Whimsyshire Therein and be all triumphally "gently caress YOU" about it is because of an internet argument-- an argument that people only cared enough to have because, at some point in history, there was this non-franchise whole new game called Diablo that had the confidence and vision to be itself, instead of some sort of loving catty riposte to youtube comments about its own trailers. Maybe that's easier to do when it's 1995 and youtube doesn't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Sleeveless posted:

Looking at Pokemon and Final Fantasy 6 makes you really appreciate modern RPGs. Like, yeah, Skyrim had some glitches that made some quests freak out but at least it didn't have entire stats and status effects that were completely worthless thanks to a mistake by the programmers.

I kind of feel the opposite. Some of the opaque under-the-hood stuff in those old games didn't work right but I had no way of knowing or caring about that at the time. Elder Scrolls has completely visible, narrative, cause-and-effect stuff failing to work which is way more noticeable and frustrating.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

No you just didn't notice the problems because you were a dumb kid like the rest of us. Gen 1 of Pokemon was a complete mess.

I'm not following you dude. With most of those things, it would be impossible to tell whether they were working as intended or not, and the reason they're Bad or whatever is that when you get down to the mechanics & raw numbers they don't make sense for competitive play, which is absolutely not something 12-year-old me cared about while playin pokemans.

On the other hand, I never got to do the "real" main quest in Morrowind, because the guy you talk to in Vivec (?) City would never give me the next bit of the quest. "Oh yeah that happens sometimes," advises GameFAQs, "you should probably just start over." :shrug:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

haveblue posted:

Yeah, that sounds more like a fuckup than a troll.

Chromehounds, also by FROM, had a bug where your account's money could get corrupted and set to minus a hundred million dollars. The officially endorsed solution to this was to schedule an in-game meeting with a CS rep who would sell you a specially crafted item whose price was also minus a hundred million dollars, bringing you back up to zero.

FROM are masters of gameplay design but holy hell are they bad at online.

I find their amateurishness at that stuff to be kind of charming. Like when Dark Souls came out on PC it was locked to 30 FPS and when people asked why the official response was like "we do not know how to make computer games :("

• Locked thread