Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I think the best Pokemon troll was FireRed/LeafGreen where they not only put in the infamous truck from the original games they actually put an (mediocre) item under it :allears:

Followed closely by one of the fourth generation games where someone in-game trades you a Pokemon that evolves by trading... holding an item that prevents evolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Otana posted:

See this is why I love Jak X. In the tutorial, Keira's telling you the basic controls and says something like "and when you die blah blah". I got all offended at her assumption, then I realized the point is you will explode multiple times per race in increasingly creative ways as you progress through the game. But if you get good enough at the controls and are smart at which pickups to use and when, you can leave the NPCs in the dust. I've won with more than a 30 second lead before. The best part is if you can manage to drop a slick of burning oil across the finish line and get to watch every NPC explode as they try to finish. It's just a never-ending rain of car parts. :allears:
The troll of Jak X was that it didn't loving work on a lot of PS2s :argh:

Also the first part of the final boss in Jak 3 where you have to shoot a bunch of glowing spots on the boss but they force you to use a lovely car with a fixed gun instead of the awesome one with the rotating turrets and also put some of the spots in positions where you have to drive head-on at the boss to shoot them.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Palisader posted:

Persona 4 does this, of course (Persona 3 does as well, but I think 4 is more noticeable). I'm still really weirded out when the chick I'm romancing keeps just calling me senpai.
To be honest, the canonical name of the Persona 4 protagonist is "Yu". so that would be pretty strange in its own right.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Nuebot posted:

You can also go through a really complex set of evolutions to turn into a human.

Humans suck compared to pretty much anything else you can be by the end of the game.
Humans aren't bad per se, statwise they're very good. It's just that they're really expensive to heal by evolving and they're the only creatures who have to eat seperately from attacking

There's also the "arms and legs" section which is used all of once in the entire game I think.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

My favorite troll from a game developer is now the fact that Cloud made into Super Smash Bros. but wasn't able to get in to Playstation All Stars
Mine is that they used Cloud instead of a character from one of the games that was actually on a Nintendo system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Gate of Firmament deliberately hides tree monsters among regular trees in the scenery (this isn't a coincidence, pretty much all of the ones I encountered were like this. They're a lot harder to see when you're going the other direction, I specifically sought this one out for screenshot purposes).

• Locked thread