Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Super Paper Mario was so loving awful.

I want to get into TTYD but for some reason I always lose interest around the first "dungeon" with the dragon boss. I don't know why :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

more than one thing can be bad

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Roro posted:

Super Paper Mario wasn't even that bad though?

That's true... in opposite land!!!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

The Paper Mario and Mario&Luigi games are all way better than SMRPG anyways.

Yeah, I dunno if it’s just nostalgia, but I played Paper Mario first and SMRPG second, and SMRPG seemed really bland by comparison. I think I gave up at some waterfall town or something, I really didn’t enjoy it much.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I love SMRPG more than paper mario but it's barely a mario game. Half the enemies aren't even mario-ey creatures. You could basically just replace what little in it is mario with anything and it'd be just as good.

Personally I also think the first paper mario is way better than the second. It had less of that "tee-hee now run to this place, then run back and go back to that place again!" sort of stuff and the game just felt like a neater overall package even if it had way less content in general. I also like that the whole paper thing was just, well, a thing. No one ever commented on it. I didn't like all the nudge-nudge wink-wink "get it he's made of paper" jokes and commentary the second one was filled with.
Yeah, that's a big part of what disappointed me going to it from Paper Mario. PM was a huge love letter to the series (before, well, every Mario game was that) and SMRPG just felt like a - well-done! - generic "cute" RPG. I probably wouldn't have noticed if I'd played them the other way around.

Definitely agree with your second point, I think that's why I never end up getting through TTYD. I keep meaning to give it a proper shot though :(

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Not Operator posted:

I got probated on the WoW boards for mentioning a quest called "Shizzle's Flier" or something, because some mod decided shizzle meant poo poo. Then I got banned for calling them idiot babies while contesting it. They also had some weirdly specific rules about how you were supposed to censor yourself, like f*** was okay, but f**k wasn't.

It might be off topic, but GameFAQS swear policy was a amazingly dumb.

when I was like 13 I got banned for saying I had a shih tzu because a mod decided I was trying to get around the swear filter with creative spelling

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

NotAnArtist posted:

I was really curious about The Secret World but never bothered getting into it, probably still won't. Honestly I'm impressed it's still going. That christmas update sounds pretty rad though, was trying to place Macready's name before it was explained.
I'm the same, it sounds like a really interesting game bogged down by poo poo MMO trappings and combat, which is a huge shame

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I think it was also by him

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The memes are bad but the game is loving win even tho I'd prefer more wrestling and less platforming. I should get the ultra edition thing I guess?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

It seems you believe in evil skeletons.
Very Good

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

the actual best troll is pretending that SJWs don't exist

There's a skeleton inside us all

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

social vegan posted:

in elder scrolls skyrim you can play as a male or a female the team at bethesda have trolled alll the mens righta ctivists
some people get earnestly mad when RPGs let you play as a woman and don't even give her a strength penalty.

also Morrowind gives black people high strength and low intelligence. lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Where it's really noticeable is when they deliberately try to draw parallels to real-world racism. Like, you're supposed to think this guy is an arsehole because he says dwarfs are naturally bad at magic and that's just stupid prejudice... except that it says right in character creation that dwarfs get a 20% penalty to magic
Shadowrun Returns has a weird blurb in the race description for Trolls (I think Trolls?) saying that the idea that they’re stupid and have low intelligence is racism with no basis in fact, right below the stats showing that they have low starting and max Intelligence.

On another note, black people in TES get a bonus to their Blunt skill, which amuses me because I am a child.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Quest Items say they have weight but I don’t think they actually add to your total, I remember checking when I was stuck with a 20-pound Elder Scroll in my backpack for half the game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

indeed, it's extremely illegal to use a patch to prevent save-game corruption and those who do deserve no mercy

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Is it even an issue? I played the hell out of Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Scholar without any DSFix or whatever and never had anyone corrupt my save or crash it with a hacked name. Maybe installing third party mods out of sheer paranoid is slightly crazy, especially when backing up your save is as easy as copy and paste.

I will because I think it's hilarious. I'm pretty sure I managed to get one of my characters softbanned, I don't know. Though the way I heard it explained was that softbanning was on a per-character basis not a per-account.
you were lucky, it’s pretty common :shrug: It was bad at release so I can only imagine what it’s like now. Personally I still can’t be arsed doing anything about it and just play the game as it is, but I’m perfectly aware that in doing so I’m risking some rear end in a top hat ruining my character/account just by existing, and that I can’t protect myself without getting banned. It’s a stupid situation that’s 100% From’s fault.

And nope, it's per-account.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Should new PC players skip to DS 2?
No. Just use DSFix it fixes literally every problem with the port and 1 is generally considered to be the better game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Digirat posted:

I liked scholar of the first sin for the most part, but it definitely felt like a ROMhack a lot of the time. Enemies placed in areas where they make no sense, statues you have to unpetrify everywhere, a whole bunch of NPC invaders, etc.
I think SotFS improves on the game a lot but sometimes the enemy layout and gank squads made me burst out laughing because it’s just so very… not Souls-like. I’ve heard the enemy placement described as “doomwadian” and I think that’s a good description

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Earthern Peak is under a terrible curse that renders those who travel through it extremely tiny. Iron Keep is actually an extremely tiny castle situated on top of the windmill, where a very confused tiny king created the tiniest kingdom. While drilling into the tiny mountain that was in reality the windmill, his men accidentally set fire to a common squirrel, and driven mad by pain and the curse, that squirrel became the Smelter Demon.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BlueKingBar posted:

Yeah that, thanks.

l was really disappointed in DA:B because it sounded like exactly what I was after and it was kind of poo poo. Felt like a beta for something that would never be finished, and the animations and everything were way too janky to create the cool John Woo aesthetic they were trying to go for.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I'd never heard of that game before and I can imagine why
ADOM is really good and just got an updated graphics-having release on Steam, it's worth a play but has definitely been rendered obsolete by newer, better roguelikes like Stone Soup and ToME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really enjoyed IVAN purely because of how ridiculously unfair it was. I'm really bad at roguelikes so it was refreshing to have one where I'm just not even expected to make it out of the first dungeon and see what stupid ways I can die within ten minutes this time.

• Locked thread