Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Internet Kraken posted:

Raiden is a really whiny baby in MGS4 though.

"It even rained on the day I was born :qq:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Cleretic posted:

It's especially bad because Square actually does a lot of pretty solid re-releases of Final Fantasy games. Upgraded graphics, content, translation of the really old stuff, sometimes just a whole new engine... the GBA remakes of the sprite Final Fantasy games, the base of which they've continued to use for all other releases of those games, is pretty much the gold standard for how to outright remake a game, while FFX HD is a pretty solid HD re-release of a game that didn't altogether need much updating.

The FFVII rerelease is neither of them. It is just a straight port of the game that, across the entire series, needs more than that the most. For being the most famous installment, that game is janky as poo poo, and not often in very endearing ways. If you bought every Final Fantasy game in their most readily-available form right now, and then played them, FFVII would come off the worst because of how desperately in need of updating it is. IX and XII would be the only ones that might get a worse ranking in that listing because they haven't been ported or re-released at all, so you'd be stuck playing them on an original PS1 or PS2; they're still solid otherwise.

But you know that if they remastered them, or whatev, they'd have to insert ham handed references to all the compilation games.

Nobody in Sector 6: Some people say there is a team of super-SOLDIERS being worked on underground. Crazy, huh?

Cloud: I heard there was only one SOLDIER more powerful than Sephiroth.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Arbite posted:

FFVII is being ported to the PS4 from the Steam PC version.

The Steam version is a recently patched up version of the original PC release which now has the proper soundtrack and may have eliminated that cutscene bug.

They finally got rid of the MIDI soundtrack? I might actually get it, if it goes for 90% off or something.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

If we're going to bring up early access games then I'd love to bring up Godus. I wasn't involved in the Kickstarter but saw it on Steam and invested early on after the Kickstarter ended. Which was just after things went to poo poo and they spent months in silence when they tried re-vamping the game. Then after the re-vamp and updating the game, they leave it alone and decide to concentrate their time on a free mobile application with a pay to win aspect, then afterwards have used their time in making the PC version in the same format. So what I bought two years ago has been turned into a glorified mobile application game that doesn't actually advance but only changes what they've already implemented. "We've updated, so delete your save and start again." "We've changed that update, delete the saves again and restart." "Our mobile app has just started, delete the saves again so you can be part of it. Even though it makes us restrict your game even further." "We've got nothing new to offer you a year later, it's still a restricted and incomplete mess and eighteen months on you still have to 'Ctrl+Alt+Del' to even quit the game. But thanks for the money."

It's not stopped me from investing in early access games, but so far this has been the worst experience. All others have been a joy in seeing things as they develop. But Godus, it's been a train wreck since I even touched it.

Your problem is calling buying an early access game 'investing'. It's just buying a game earlier than usual, in an unfinished state.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

HellCopter posted:

No, you're getting at something here. Early access is like handing your cousin-by-marriage 20 bucks and telling him to go buy a pizza. But instead he returns with 3 slices and says "It's all they had." But he still spent the $20 somehow.

I mean, technically you had no reason to trust him. But he's still an rear end in a top hat.

Jesus Christ would you just let it go already? It was 2 years ago!

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

The best item in Symphony of the Night are the Secret Boots. Their description is "Discreetly Increases Height!". True to it's word, all it does is increase Alucard's height by one pixel.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

The White Dragon posted:

Blizzard's customer service in general degraded after a certain point. My personal PYF Trolls From Blizzard was when they started running a hardware check on your computer when Starcraft 2 started up. I was using a hackintosh by that point, so it was non-standard hardware and some custom firmware. Their check would fail but infinitely loop itself.

I asked their tech support if it would be possible to opt out of the check, or to skip it. The rear end in a top hat called me a criminal without a second thought and told me not to contact their customer service regarding this issue again. So I didn't, and stopped buying their products :)

Sounds like you got owned.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Uhh, I did. :colbert: I found a way to infinitely repeat The Chest, which meant I got every item in one run, to the point that it ran out of items to give me and started giving me the same one over and over.

Edit: I should note, the last 2 were just after one another. When you let go of the fire button, the knives shot everywhere.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 03:03 on Nov 6, 2015

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

JokerOfSouls posted:

You'd miss out on seeing all the crazy Roulette Attacks though.

(Also that poo poo is tough and I don't need to go playing that game with a handicap.)

You mean another handicap.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

BioEnchanted posted:

I kinda like the Wii U. Has some fun games.

The Wii U isn't that bad, really. I'm not sure I would find much use for a PS4 or XBone, since I have a decent PC, but WiiU actually has enough going for it to mix things up. Helps that it is still backwards compatible, too.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Lady Naga posted:

Please stop talking about how the plot to games trolls the players, in the PYF Trolls From Game Developers thread.

In all fairness, I don't think Bethesda was deliberately messing with players by making the protag straight. If this was the stuff dragging games down thread, I'd say have at it, but this is for games designed to piss you off.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

haveblue posted:

Zybourne Clock is still the best thing this forum has or will ever produce.

Malatora.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there a single death that can actually be avoided by listening to his warnings?

He does warn you about the poooooiiiisonous snake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Cleretic posted:

Mine is FTL, if that counts. A lot of fun little random fiddly bits to offer the cleverness and uniqueness that you want from roguelikes, but enough structure and consistency that you never feel screwed.

DoomRL is my fave. A full game is, like, an hour, so you never feel too bad for dying.

And adorable midi doom music. :3:

• Locked thread