Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rrussom posted:

Starbound

Could someone explain this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

The Metroid Prime games do have a few missable scans, though. Most make a fair amount of sense (computers on a spaceship that's going to crash, bosses only fought once) so you don't really have anybody to blame but yourself, but others... two from the original stand out in my mind.

1. Missile doors. Locks that break when you shoot at them; they don't respawn, and stop appearing fairly quickly since missiles are the first item you get. By the time you realize that might have been what you missed, and why it might be nice to get 100% scan data, you've long destroyed all the missile locks.

2. I'm a bit hazy on this one, but I believe it's the Ice Shriekbats. An enemy that only appears in a single room until you get a certain item... that you're on your way to getting when you first go into the room. They look identical to an extremely common enemy, too, so you can easily not even notice that they're basically a one-off scan.

Prime 2 and 3 thankfully removed log book entries for stuff like missile doors, but I definitely remember Prime 2 pulling that second one as well.

There was also...I think one type of parasite that showed up in exactly one room for one puzzle and a type of wasp that showed up for one single bossfight and wasn't really any different from the regular ones, visually. Two had even more missable enemies largely because every form and part of several bosses were scannable and three had a ton.

See, three did this thing where you fought a lot of space pirates. So you'd wind up with like troopers. Then shielded troopers. then armored troopers, then armored shielded troopers. So on and so forth. Several of these variants showed up in only limited numbers or even in only one segment of the game. It was also very hard to tell them apart if you were in hyper mode, which made the whole game black and white. Of course space pirates could throw bombs at you, sending you into hyper mode. You couldn't scan in hyper mode either. So did you accidentally shoot all those dudes during that one annoying timed segment of the game? Or forget to scan that boss while its weakpoint was exposed because that counted as a separate scan for some reason? Well have fun. No 100% scan log complete for you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

haveblue posted:

Even more than having a scan for every part of the boss and every phase of the boss, there are separate scans for when the boss is hostile and stunned.

In echoes most bosses also had their Light and Dark scans. The light versions of which you usually only had a split second to scan since the second you entered the room they would become possessed by dark poo poo. Furthermore there were several bosses you had to fight in morph ball form, and you could only scan from outside the boss rooms, before the boss fight. So these ones basically relied on you knowing a boss fight was about to happen, where it was about to happen and what rooms gave you a view of the boss.

Breaking away from metroid prime and its scanning for a moment, I'm going to throw in Oblivion's poisoned apples. They were weird items you could use to kill NPCs all stealthy-like. What it did was, upon being eaten, they'd give the character a super strong and permanent poison effect. There was nothing to stop you from eating this, and you could find them pretty early on in the game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Esroc posted:

Which now that MGSV exists it shows just how little devs give a poo poo about PC performance. MGSV is huge and just as pretty as Witcher 3, and it runs like a dream on my lovely three yeard old toshiba laptop with a mixture of high/medium/extra high settings. Even massive firefights with dozens of enemies barely put a dent into the FPS. While Witcher 3 even at the lowest runs like a slideshow, which doesn't matter because on lowest it looks like wet rear end so you're not missing anything anyways.

So that's the troll, it's certainly possible to get current AAA games to run just fine on crappy PC hardware but devs choose not to bother.

Its the beard physics. Know what other game had Amazing Real Beard Growth? Deadly Premonition. Know what other game ran like rear end? Deadly Premonition.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

NonzeroCircle posted:

If it was fully functional in Kojima terms it would have breast and rear end sliders.

Lets face it, the guys would at least have the rear end slider too so you, too, could make the perfect sneaking suit snake rear end.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Elblanco posted:

My "favorite" gaming troll is from the obscure Pokemon rip off, robopon 2.
Jesus that game was awful.

I love that game and to this day I'm not sure if the translation was bad, a gimmick or if the game was just like that.

For the record, Gear was only in one version. In the other version you got a lightbulb.

The start of the game has you playing as the main character, and champion of the previous tournament, conveniently forgetting all your awesome robots just because you're dumb. You later on kill a dude by collapsing a pyramid on him. Straight up murder him. Later still you run into a villain getting his freak on in his secret bdsm dungeon and knock out his manslave, then just leave him tied up. :allears:

It's not a good game, but it was memorable considering the first one was a very blatent pokemon knockoff.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Also a trading card game. It seems to have had a brief rush of popularity then died off every bit as fast, in Japan at least. I don't think it ever really took off in America. Which is a shame because I had fun with them, but I'm just a sucker for monster raising sims in general.

So one of my favorite trollish games is Monster Rancher 2. Unlocking all of the monsters in that game is some gamefaqs internet rumor tier of what the gently caress. To unlock the monster Ghost you have to let a monster die, something you typically don't do since monsters can be fused together to make better monsters, and take care of its grave until a ghost pops out. This isn't trollish, just weird. The most obscure poo poo comes from the Undine. To get it, you need to raise a specific type of monster called a Hopper, which are basically just lovely lemurs that no one ever uses, and raise it until it's a high rank and old as gently caress. Randomly during the winter it might dig a hotsprings and out pops a new monster. The game is full of poo poo like this, I go back and play it every few years and I've still never unlocked everything.

That's not even getting into the rare monsters that get printed on to specific disks, one of which was mistakenly placed onto a limited edition printing of Mellow Gold instead of the regular edition.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Attacks in MR2 fall into four ranges, and the distance from your enemy determines which attack your guy uses. It varies wildly between monsters.

The Hopper has 13 attacks. 4 in the farthest range, two physical high-hit low-damage moves and its token magical moves, 2 similar high-hit low-damage techs in the 3rd closest, a basic high-hit low-damage tech all by itself in 2, and six techs in the closest range including all its heavy damage and critical hit moves.

Switching moves in the same range is kinda cumbersome, especially when there's so many in one slot since you have to cycle them one at a time.

Basically, they have 3/4 of their slots filled with high-hit low-damage moves and everything else is piled in the close range slot.

Bajarls are awkward about the 2nd range in the same way. Other monsters can get huge tech lists but nothing so centered in one slot like that.

Please never stop knowing literally everything about video games. It's fascinating and those LPs you did of the FFTactics games taught me brand new ways to play them.

More fun Monster Rancher poo poo:
In the first game there was a monster called Doodle to get it you had to raise a Monol, a living wall, to max fame, deliberately enter a low ranking tournament to tank its fame and then someone would graffiti your wall. Fusing it with another monster would cause the drawing to come to life and you got a doodle. How you were expected to ever figure that out, I have no clue.

Anyway, since that's incredibly similar to the last thing I mentioned here's one that always felt to me like a troll but you might disagree; in Jade Cocoon your main character starts every battle, you can even equip him with armor and weapons. The problem is that aside from maybe the first area you'll probably never do more than single digit damage with him, and even chump random encounters will wreck your poo poo. The entire purpose of the game is to use your horrible crimes against nature to beat up other monsters. But when you're a dumb kid playing it for the first time, it's easy to fall into the trap of "Oh man I got a cool new weapon! I bet I can kill monsters now!" and never progress until you learn how dumb you are.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Shwqa posted:

All the best robots take way longer to level than their lovely counter parts. Do you want to restart boss fight until you get lucky or grind?

By the end I had a team of gundams, and my starter. My starter was almost max level and I'm pretty sure it single handedly cleared the last boss's dudes in a hit each or so. The game was really unbalanced.

More fun GBA games though; Medabots! I loving loved the medabots RPG and I am still, to this day, disappointed they didn't keep bringing the games over to the states because they are all hella fun and Nintendo's region locking means I can't play the newest ones. I digress, in the GBA one that came to america it's literally impossible to get 100% without resorting to a lot of BS. A fair amount of parts can only be won from bosses you only fight once or twice, so presumably to get everything legit you would have to have friends willing to give up their only copies of parts forever. Assuming they even got the ones you were missing. It was entirely possible to beat a boss and just get nothing for it. But the biggest troll was the "romance sidequest" there were two NPCs you could pick to be your date and it was a game long sidequest you had to do perfectly, from the second you encountered each NPC. If you messed up even once you would be locked out of the reward. Each one offered a unique reward. So again, if you wanted 100% you'd have to know someone who would give you theirs.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Elblanco posted:

I just found out that the robopon 2 website still exists. Under version differences it says that cross version is for more "battle savvy" players and actually says you need to battle more to advance. It also says ring version needs fewer battle to level up. So there are straight up xp differences between the two versions.

Are you sure? I mean I wouldn't put it past them. But I think it might have just meant that cross had more non-evolving type of dudes who would go from one to one hundred in one long slog but gained more stats per level up, while ring had a lot of evolving dudes who would gain levels faster and evolve, but wouldn't gain much stats until they evolved where they'd gain one huge boost. So the non-evolving types usually had higher potential but it took forever to reach it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Steak Eater posted:

Man people mention Monster Rancher 2 and don't mention the biggest troll which is that your Kato can never learn Oil Fire. There's this cat monster that drinks and smokes, but that's not appropriate for kiddies in the west, so Tecmo was told to remove alcohol references. Apparently though, Katos would request Rice Wine or something in the Japanese version which would lead to it unlocking an attack that lets it drink booze and spit it out on fire. They didn't program in a work-around so you're just left with a monster that can't learn one of it's only early high-power moves, the use of which was central to unlocking 2 of its later high-power moves. Basically Tecmo neutered the cat because we wouldn't let it drink and get high. The kicker though is that multiple Katos show up through the game, and most of them know Oil Fire so you're left wondering how you can unlock it, only to find it impossible.

Monster Rancher has a bad history with translation/localization like that. Across the series more than a few monsters have been straight up removed from games and 2 there were several items and /??? sub-breeds you couldn't get in the English version because they were tied to the pocket station and in the last one to come out in English, Monster Rancher DS they used a neat system where you could draw pictures or write words to generate monsters. The problem is that some of the "legendary" monsters in the game required you to draw Japanese characters to create them, and whether it was an issue with translation or just a bug in coding those specific images would cause the English copy of the game to freeze every time you tried.

Also in Monster Rancher 3, I think it was 3 at least, they introduce the whole aspect of adventuring and fighting bosses to the series. The second boss you fight is a giant mud monster with a hook hand, it's a Gaboo from Monster Rancher 2! Except he's the only one and you can't unlock them in any way! The game's plot also focuses around bad NPCs "enhancing" monsters with machines and stuff but at no point in the game can you ever do it yourself. :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

When it comes to enemies and levelling, I kind of hate it when stats are just arbitrary. Like a level 4 enemy in one area can be oneshot while you're level ten but if you take a specific quest the level 4 enemies there will kick your rear end at level ten. WoW, MMOs in general really, is really bad about poo poo like that without even factoring in the elite enemy stuff. But single player games have started to do the whole Elite and Legendary enemy thing too, and it drives me nuts. Oh here's a level ten enemy. Here's an elite level ten enemy, he's got the stats of a level twenty but we'll say he's level ten and put him in a level ten zone because gently caress you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Replaying Metroid Prime and I thought of a brilliant troll. Not the one the first game does; I'm thinking of one from the second.

There's a complicated apparatus in the first area you go to, the Agon Wastes. Scanning around reveals there's a puzzle to solve! But it's sound-based. (The denizens of the planet are giant moths, you see, and use echolocation-based technology). You have no device that can interface with sound, so you make a mental note and move on.

Hours and hours and two main areas later, you get the Echo Visor, which lets you interface with sound devices! Hot drat, you think, now I can solve that puzzle from waaaaaay back in the beginning of the game! So you eagerly hop back, to see what kind of nifty prize you get from solving the puzzle. It's trivially easy to solve with your new visor, and the "you solved a puzzle!" jingle plays and a door above the entrance opens to reveal your prize: sweet! An Energy Tank! Always a nice prize.

Then it hits you. It's too high up for you to reach. You need yet another power up to actually reach it. So, yeah you solved the puzzle, you earned your prize, only to be denied actually collecting it. That sinking feeling, the betrayal. The Energy Tank hanging there, taunting you.

The Metroid Prime devs are mean, mean people. :(

That's not even the end of it because I'm pretty sure I know exactly what one you're talking about and it's one of my most hated in that game.

It's in a tiny hole on a high up wall. You have to screw attack to get it. You see, unlike in other Metroid games, the screw attack in Prime and Prime 3 is pretty much uncontrollable. You triple jump and the camera goes third person and you just move forward and have to time the jumps to get as much distance as you can. If your timing is off slightly, you'll hit the edges of the hole and fall down. If you aren't aimed perfect you'll hit the side of the wall and fall down. :argh: Echoes 2 was great at annoying you over really petty things. Like the ammo system. There was almost never any point where you would seriously be in danger of running out of ammo because enemies and crates would just spew it at a moments notice thanks to the game's wonderful design of giving you anything you were low on, but the sheer paranoia of having limited beam ammo in a metroid game made a lot of first time players use nothing but the power beam.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Yes, that is exactly the one I meant! I forgot about the wonky aiming issues.

The limited ammo was the only thing I really didn't like about Prime 2. Otherwise it's my favorite of the Prime games. I love the atmosphere, I love the light/dark world mechanic, and I love the unique visor mechanics. The limited ammo can gently caress right off, though. It did nothing to improve the game; in fact the game would be very much improved if the beams behaved like they do in every other Metroid game.

I tried to use the light/dark beams. I really made an effort to. I was pretty good about remember to swap to them when I was fighting something tough, but mostly yeah I just used the Power Beam. And Missiles. I love missiles.

I didn't like Echoes until the wii version fixed up a lot of the god awful hitbox issues the best it could, some of them are still hilariously bad though, and the controls just work a lot better. Echoes has a lot of really fast mobile enemies in it and when you used the clunky Gamecube aiming the combat got really frustrating. With the better controls echoes wound up feeling a lot better on a replay. The weirdest thing about the beam system though, isn't the ammo. It's that the whole Dark kills Light enemies and Light kills Dark enemies doesn't even hold true because the dark beam is the ice beam. So a charged shot or two will just freeze most of the dark enemies even then you can just shatter them with a missile. Meanwhile you can shoot the same enemies all day long with light beam because they have a ton of HP and are hard to kill. Though I think the first game is definitely the best Prime game overall, I think Echoes probably had the best puzzles.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

haveblue posted:

All 3 of the prime games are amazing and calling one worse than the others is still saying it's better than most games of that generation (or ever).

The screw attack is slightly steerable in Prime 3, although the timing problem is still there.

People give corruption a lot of flak and while it's not the best, I had a lot of fun with it. Though the big bosses of each world, barring the last one, I felt were really lame. I do wish it had more Dark Samus fights.

The best troll in Corruption are the pirates with the Phazon bombs. You see, the game is centered around Hyper Mode where in you become invincible and taking damage just fills up your little gauge and if you stick in it too long you get "corrupted" and it starts filling automatically for a bit. There are some enemies that have grenades that can forcibly trigger your hypermode, and if you're already in hypermode just instantly pile up your corruption. It's entirely possible for one of them to pop up and nail you with it while you're corruption is rising and just instantly kill you if you're not paying attention.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

I thought the hub area was dull, the desert was dull, the swamp was dull, and the Dark World was dull, but the design of the Sanctuary Fortress was awesome.

The swamp is dull but it is genuinely the best swamp area in any video game imo because it is very swampy and I like it a lot. Swamps are dull. The music also owns. The desert is balls though. They really nailed the dead, decaying corrupted world look with Torvus Bog. Then they filled it with those loving grenchlers and the grapple guardian.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I always feel like, at least for an Elder Scrolls game, the ideal way to do enemy level scaling is to just never level out of an enemy's range, you should always be leveling up into it. As you level up enemies can still get harder, and sometimes you'll find some rad-as-hell bandit that's decked out in daedric gear (because you're not the only rad-as-hell adventurer, with the exception of Skyrim you're nobody special). But you'll always find some bandits to chump in half a hit, and you'll never be screwed out of Scamp Skin because you've stopped fighting Scamps.

Maybe Skyrim worked like that, I don't really remember. I'm pretty sure I stopped playing very quickly after becoming borderline-invincible in that game.

See I dunno I disagree because I feel like it defeats the entire purpose if you never feel like you're progressing because enemies are always just as strong, if not stronger than you. When I'm wandering around in full daedric armor with a gigantic sword made out of some demon's soul that can explode a dude into electric ice, I kind of want to be the top rear end in a top hat of the world. I don't want to still have to smack a bandit chief thirteen times despite my maxed stats just because he's the same level as me. I wind up feeling like I might as well just stay level one and sit there stabbing other level one bandits because at least it takes less time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

many johnnys posted:

Helpfully, you're basically invulnerable when you're in Hyper Mode, so one neat trick is to pop in and out of it whenever a big attack is coming. Even if you fail to dodge, you'll just soak the attack no problem.

(it's still like the hardest boss of the game)

Mostly because the later bosses are literally just "wait for the glowing weakpoint and shoot it" whereas that first boss is "okay shoot these five glowing weakpoints, now blow up his feet while he stomps on you. What do you mean you can't dodge shockwaves in ball form you pussy?"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

many johnnys posted:

So if you duck into hypermode real quick, don't shoot him, dodge/soak whatever hit, and then change back, it costs you nothing. All you need is the single tank of energy to go hyper in the first place.

Tank it, that's what triggers the the corruption phase of hypermode IIRC, taking too much damage. So while the venting will inevitably clear out your energy tank you can sustain it for like two minutes or something before the automatic shut down hits. Abusing the hypermode invincibility is basically the only way to survive the hypermode difficulty.

Speaking of, here's a great contribution from metroid prime!
The trilogy added in a new difficulty for the first two games, "Hypermode" based on the third difficulty of Corruption. Except all it really did was inflate the HP and damage of enemies while halving your pickups and ammo. The problem with this is that some bosses get ridiculous. Like the last phase of the titular Metroid Prime fight. You see normally you just have to dodge its attacks, wait for it to cough up some magical goo and then jump in and shoot it with a super laser. On any normal difficulty it only takes a few shots and you win the game. On Hypermode he has so much HP that, no joke, the fight takes over half an hour even if you don't miss any of your openings to hit him.

That might not be trollish, just really poor game design.
How about the door in Echoes? Echoes had a lot of one time scans, most of them were bosses or minibosses. During one mini boss fight, the door behind you becomes a new object to scan. It's required for 100% completion and it's the only time a door is ever required to be scanned and the only time this particular door ever shows up. :argh: It's incredibly easy to just not notice it, too.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

sitchelin posted:

Lots of racing games do this poo poo. The trick is to trail behind in 2nd or 3rd the entire time and then take 1st at the last possible second. Unless you're playing F-ZERO GX, because then if they get ahead, they loving stay ahead so you just hammer your boost button and hope for the best.

Sleeping Dogs was an rear end in a top hat with its AI races and the courses themselves. Especially motorbikes. You slightly clip something and you're dead, take a turn too sharp and you're dead. Enemy racer hits you, you're dead. Oncoming traffic? You're dead. Doing really well and winning the race? Well the AI will get a bullshit speed boost and catch up, pass you and flawlessly finish the course.

On the plus side there was one car that had built in guns. You could use this in some car races and in just by blowing up the rest of the competition.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Online multiplayer is garbage, and the bigger it is the more horrible it becomes.

But it's the future of gaming! Personally I can't wait until every game is the online equivalent of mario party.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

But then again I don't mind games like Destiny that are essentially one player games with options to team up, but I'm sure that's 100% because I never wear a headset

Problem with this stuff is that you either wind up with a game where co-op makes it mind blowingly easy, because it's designed to be solo'd, or a game with arbitrary points that are stupidly hard because they're meant to be played co-op.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the best and worst cases of when a new instalment of a series is made by a different company?
Metroid Prime is a very good game and a good addition to the series, people were upset about the idea of a first person metroid from the second it was announced but when it came out a lot of people wound up agreeing that it was actually pretty good.

Then Nintendo decided they would make the next Metroid game after the Prime series and we got Other M. I'm pretty sure literally no one liked it except the guy responsible for making it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

I didn't mind the basic gameplay (basic meaning gently caress the restrictions, the pixel hunts, details like how long until you could use the power bomb, etc.), but I hadn't played much Prime at the time and always wind up realising when hearing online about games I've played that I have an astoundingly high tolerance for poo poo.

So do I, which is why I was able to beat it and several other really awful games. The main sticking point for me though, was that you couldn't explore. You couldn't even backtrack for the bulk of the game. Even in Fusion, which was made by the same guy, you could at least backtrack and get lost in a limited fashion! But no, in Other M most of the doors lock right behind you. Exploration is a post-game thing!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Electrical Fire posted:

It's been awhile, but I think you just have to sneak past without alerting them. I hated that DLC, it felt like it took everything fun out of the game and forced you to play a certain way. I had to force myself to finish it.

As much fun as New Vegas was, obsidian had a hard-on for doing that in the DLC. There's an interview someone linked to in the fallout 4 topic where one of the developers talked about designing the Old World Blues expansion specifically to gently caress with people who liked to play as snipers. If I had to guess I'd say it was less about "forcing you to play a certain way" and more trying to get people who rigidly play one way to expand their playstyle, but it wound up coming across as the former because that's kind of what happens when you impose your will on the people playing an otherwise open game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ArtIsResistance posted:

This game is unplayable because the control scheme is "sideways wiimote"

this is a good thread to post that sentence in

Don't forget that you had to flip the wiimote vertical to shoot the missiles though. So using them in actual combat was entirely unwieldy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Otana posted:

I have heard so much about Other M, particularly with regards to Samus' characterization and how much they screwed it up.
It really comes across as one guy trying to take a character people like and turn her into his stereotypical wet dream. Samus never had much personality and development before but pretty much everything in Other M goes against what little was previously revealed about it. But then again it was the dream project of a guy who has in interviews said that Samus has a mole somewhere on her body and that he was the only one who knew where it was. I'll stop 'sperging about Metroid for now.

Otana posted:

I hate water chase levels so goddamn much I never went back to play it more than once.
Pikmin 2 and the Waterwraith. This one dungeon is the stain on what is otherwise one of my favorite parts of the game. It's full of water so you have to bring a lot of blue pikmin, if you spend too much time on a floor this big fuckoff steamroller man comes and murders everything.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

MGSV has about 4 hours of cutscenes and 100 hours of fultoning screaming soldiers and farm animals.

I like to think that the tapes and poo poo in V are a direct response to all the people complaining that 4 has too many expositional cutscenes. "You don't like sitting there while everyone's talking? Now you can listen to them while you-"Are you going to extract him?""

Also I like your username/avatar. Pluto is a very good series. :)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Apparently a lot of Other M's more painful details of Samus' backstory are reminiscent of a Super Metroid manga adaptation that Sakamoto had a major part in, right down to her having a PTSD flashback when Ridley busts in. Mix in those details from the manga with the structure and some of the plot from Fusion (which he was, of course, making as a direct sequel to Super while Prime was being developed) and you have a lot of Other M right there.
The manga was a companion piece released as a lead in to Zero Mission. What's really, really dumb about that is that even in the comic despite making GBS threads herself over Ridley, she winds up getting over her fear and kicking his rear end. He was also sentient and could talk, as could the space pirates. Which Other M also contradicted. Which really disappointed me, of all the things in the Prime series the one thing I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk poo poo about was the space pirates.

Incidentally, the plot of Other M was almost copy and paste of Fusion's. Right down to the government science space station with various environments for study and super secret metroid cloning.

Radio Help posted:

but he'd probably turn Samus into some sort of hyperbolic, huge-titted femme fatale figure that exists solely to slo-mo die in some hilariously self-aware and dramatic situation that is clearly a metaphor for imperialism or [insert your favorite "big picture" acid conversation here]

Nintendo's already halfway there! On one hand I actually get the premise behind the zero suit because it makes more sense to wear something like that under armor than the bikini from the older games. But it's kind of disappointing that pretty much every time she winds up in it for whatever reason it becomes a T&A show.

Cleretic posted:

He's also responsible for some of the weirder bits of the design of Prime 3. Retro wanted to include some open world elements, including some stuff like in-ship combat sequences (hence the borderline-useless ship upgrades), capitalizing on the fact that Samus is a bounty hunter that this time isn't stuck on a planet uprooting some space pirates or whatever. All of that was vetoed by Sakamoto, because it turns out he has no idea what a 'bounty hunter' actually does.

He also forced them to convert from the semi-realistic look of Prime to the anime styled samus in Echoes and Corruption. I might be remembering wrong, but I remember I reading that the memo that samus had to look consistent with fusion and zero mission from now on came in fairly late in the echoes development too. Which is why she looks kind of terrifying.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Listen, changing the game from an exploration-based 2-D platforming shooter built around finding and using power-ups to an exploration-based 3-D platforming shooter built around finding and using power-ups that has near-identical pacing and atmosphere renders it unrecognizable. Furthermore, I love extremely accurate depictions of trains and elevators.

I don't get it either. Other M was the one that turned metroid into an action game where mashing the D-Pad made samus flip around with literal invincibility, and the only powerups you got for the most part were the ones you were railroaded into.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

bewilderment posted:

The GMs that were messaged were spectacularly unhelpful.

Can the GMs of WoW count as a troll? When Burning Crusade first came out my guild ran into a bug where the boss of Kara would not drop loot. No matter what we did, no loot. Some times he wouldn't even engage in combat. GMs would just tell us that they couldn't do anything for us since they had no proof. When someone finally recorded a video of it happening we just got "working as intended" back. Eventually it stopped happening after a patch somewhere down the line.

A year or two later, the Timelost Proto-drake was a thing. For anyone not familiar with it, it was a rare spawn monster that showed up like once a day and dropped a rare pet. It was camped by everyone and on PVP servers it was a huge clusterfuck to get it since people would kill you out of spite and make sure you couldn't loot the corpse. I tagged it, it died. It was mine finally after camping this thing for days like a complete loser, which really was mostly just logging in with my character set at its spawn point every day because I had nothing else to do in the game and logging out if I didn't get it. Then I watched its body fall through the ground. GMs just told me "working as intended" and I logged out. Never logged back in. Sold my account for $200.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

I always found the GMs in WoW to be helpful on things they could actually fix back in vanilla. Although as the game moved on their customer service started to degrade in quality.

It's probably cliche to say this, but I feel WoW generally did. Not that 40 man raids were great or anything. It's a bit of a paradox or something, the game its self got better for the most part, but the bigger and better it got, the more routine and by the books it felt. The early BC raids were pretty much just slightly harder step ups from the regular instances, while Black Temple and Tempest Keep were cool but in a recurring problem, not as many people got to see them because they tend to drop out due to the boring repetitive nature of the earlier raids and if you can't find a guild good enough to reach those raids early on, or you were playing before they were introduced, it was very easy to get bored of redoing Kara, Gruul and Coilfang for an eternity and drop out of the game or just switch over to PVP, where you didn't have to count on the dumbest person in the group to not screw it up for everyone.

"gently caress it, I'm just going to do arena poo poo until BT" was said by most of the people I played WoW with during BC after we got geared up, and very few of them came back for BT because they didn't want to have to find a new guild.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Agent355 posted:

I thought there was a failsafe where any missable al bhed primers eventually ended up in that big rear end desert randomly spread about? Maybe I remember incorrectly.

I think those ones might, but the other ones you can miss certainly don't. It's definitely possible to miss some Primers in that game forever until you start a new game.

The infamous Blitzball match is a pretty good one though. You're taught this fictional sport in a manner of minutes and given a really awkward tutorial on it that does very little to explain the actual game and then thrown into a fixed match where you have almost zero chance of winning if you play fair because the odds are so ridiculously skewed in the opponents favor. The bulk of the blitzball hatred comes from this, because otherwise it's entirely optional and rather unobtrusive and the actual game isn't that bad when you fight against teams that aren't near impossible to compete with.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Duke of Flies posted:

Also, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Another SMT game, Digital Devil Saga, is focused all around your characters turning into demons and eating other people-turned-demon to gain power. During the introduction of the game one of your team members is so disgusted by the idea she refuses to eat other people. As a result she actually gains no EXP in game. Same game has the protagonist of Nocturne as a bonus boss and when you fight him instead of the boss music from either game, it plays Nocturne's random encounter music.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The reasoning for that is that the Nocturne protag is being played by a player on autopilot, and if he notices youre immune to everything: he just nukes you with 9999 damage.
Also an interesting thing from the fight: that boss is immune/resists all elements in DDS except one, because it didnt exist in nocturne.

And almighty, because you can't resist almighty.

Also it's worth mentioning the healthcap for DDS is 999 and every attack he does hits for 1000 or more. Usually 9999.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Now see, I think you're one of the ones on the other side of that secret troll wall. Like I said, every time this topic comes up someone pipes in with reasonable advice and says it's unfair, but totally possible to win, which is where my :tinfoil: idea comes from. Cause then there's people like ME where they become Blitzball pros through lots of hard work and go back and nope, good luck even making a single pass that's not intercepted and the stats seem way boosted over what they say they are for the Goers. Like I said, especially if you manage to score on them they seem to increase farther.

Of course making the tutorial match the hardest one in the game is the biggest troll here, as it actively discourages you from trying to play the minigame the rest of your playtime. The double troll comes in in X-2 if you've been a devoted Blitzball player, as they completely change the engine into being a management simulation. :confuoot:

The issue is mostly just lasting long enough for Tidus to score once before Wakka gets subbed in, really. Then you just hide behind your goal and wait out the time. :shepface:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

One of Dark Souls best little trolls is the fact that one of the rarest weapons in the game that is only dropped by one type of enemy of which there are only two in the whole game and you need to jump through hoops to even hurt, loving sucks.

The loving ghost blade or whatever it is. It's big thing is that you can kill ghosts with it without having to use magic/an item/whatever, however ghosts only appear in one area of the game and to get the stupid weapon you'll have to kill a billion ghosts anyway.

And the weapon sucks. Luckily I never gave a poo poo about completionism but this game loving hurts you if you want it.

Is it that rare? I wind up with a bunch of them after most of my playthroughs because I am bad at new londo. I always thought the dark wraith stuff was a rarer drop. For more Dark Souls, in Dark Souls 2 there are NPC invaders who show up once per-playthrough, unless you use a specific item that resets an area. Some of these phantoms have very rare chances to drop unique items, some have very rare chances to drop unique sets. Most of the ones that drop unique items only show up on a New Game Plus. So if you really want a set of armor that looks slightly different to a set you got for free earlier in the game, be prepared to reset that zone several times, four of five times at the minimum. By the way, each time you use that item it upgrades the area to the next stage of NewGamePlus so things get harder.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

contrapants posted:

I just read through this whole thread.

It's almost exclusively about Final Fantasy until page 23 when Mass Effect is mentioned. Then, the Final Fantasy chat drops down to at least one or two posts per page as MMO/Dark Souls chat started taking over.

It's interesting that most trolling games are RPGs based on this thread.

JRPGs kind of hate your very existence.

More SMT! Digital Devil Saga again, to be specific.

Lets say you've been playing a while, you've gotten nice and strong and think you're king badass of fucktown because you can kill anything you run into at this point. New dungeon is a giant boat in the desert, the savepoint is in the bottom of it and now you're on the top of it wandering around trying to figure out where to go. Suddenly! "Ambushed!" the enemies get to go first. There are these two skull looking fuckers who usually go down in one hit like bitches. But what's this? "Mamudoon" and now your whole party is dead. All that progress is gone in one turn entirely due to RNG deciding that gently caress you, they get to go first.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

Dark Souls has shown that in the internet age this isn't a flaw, it's a feature.

I love Dark Souls. Not just because it's fun, but because the clusterfuck of people who hate and defend it crack me up. People will get so mad when someone accuses it of having bad design, that they'll swear even the genuinely awful parts of it are really good game design, guys.

My single favorite troll in Dark Souls is probably the Chaos Servant covenant. After you beat one boss, there's a bell and a little hidden area. In this area is a monster that looks just like monsters you killed outside, except you can talk to it and there's no real indication you can. So the paranoid player might instinctively kill him and ruin everything. Once you go inside behind him is a monster that looks like the boss you just killed, and you can't communicate with it. Killing it grants you a pretty useful item, too.

However if you have one ring you can only get either by picking it as a starting item, which is entirely useless up until this point, or by trading another item to a semi-hidden NPC for it, you can understand what she says and join a covenant. Giving her enough Humanity, a stat/item that's beneficial to you, unlocks a shortcut to a later area and lets you save an NPC who would die otherwise. So if you never get this one arbitrary item or kill some gross bug monsters, you're forced to kill a useful NPC. There is zero indication of any of this, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gestalt Intellect posted:

You don't need to be able to talk to her to join the covenant and get the rewards. No need for the ring.

Yeah but unless you're following a guide you wouldn't ever know. Or know that the ring did anything. I liked to leave messages implying great treasure within or whatever hoping they'd murder her.

• Locked thread