Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't get why people get so angry about early access games but on the few early access games I have bought I haven't really gotten burned. I'll be over here with my prison architect and kerbal space program, thank you.

It mainly comes down to a couple of issues, when devs start selling the game when its completely busted/has no content (like Godus) and when they announce that they're basically not finishing the game because not enough people bought it (like Godus.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

Speaking of Driver and trolls from the devs, Driv3r ignored the adage about glass houses and throwing stones and mocked Rockstar by hiding an NPC named Timmy Vermicelli on their maps as a dig at Vice City: He's way more low-poly than all the other NPCs, has the hosed-up block hands of the GTA character models, and wears water wings to make fun of the fact that at the time falling into the water was an instant-death in GTA games.

Rockstar returned fire by having it so that in the San Andreas mission where you sneak into Madd Dogg's mansion to steal his rhyme book you can hide behind a couch and listen to a player character trash about "Refractions" (the developers of Driver are Reflections Interactive) and namedrop Tanner, the protagonist of the Driver games.

I remember there was a minor scandal on the release of Driv3r where someone involved with the game (either publisher or devs) told print reviewers that the review copies they were playing had some bugs but they were fixed in the final version. They weren't. So the print reviews that came out around the release didn't mention a bunch of problems that were in the game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brain In A Jar posted:

I got all of the FEAR 1 games in a bundle recently, and I'm pretty sure the first expansion, Extraction Point, was created 100% as a joke.

The very first cutscene is a villain you killed in the first game coming back to life, and their opening line is basically "don't think too hard about this". Everything after that is like some sort of deliberate pastiche on the original game. You go walkabouts with team members who ditch you at the first opportunity and they turn up dead. The levels have all the theoretical hallmarks of things you wish Monolith had expanded on in the original, but twisted into some sort of genie wish trap that makes them insufferably boring to actually play.

In the first game, plot was delivered through answerphone messages you can listen into. In this game they're all 100% useless and give you nothing of use at all. A character who absolutely died in the first one also comes back, mocks you, then disappears never to be seen again. The two biggest pointless bulletsponge enemies now have new versions, which are just bigger, spongier versions of the originals.

The plot is so terrible and the voice acting so shoddy (especially the replacement VAs) that I thought they were going to deliberately pull a "you were dead all along and this is a dream" thing, but they didn't. They expected you to take this seriously.

I was so, so convinced that the game was a deliberate $30 USD joke, until I looked up the developers Monolith outsourced it to, and realised that the last game they made before they declared for Chapter 11 bankruptcy was Aliens: Colonial Marines.

The funny thing about the expansions is that Monolith decided that none of them were canon and completely ignored them when they made the sequel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Section Z posted:

The best strategy guide for a video game was the from Space Quest 4. As in, the one literally inside the game. You travel to the future of Space Quest 10, and buy the Space Quest 4 Strategy guide in a bargain bin.

It's 90% useless hints unrelated to anything in the game, and one single relevant clue. Half the time travel code, and when only half of it shows up the narrator goes "Whoops! Looks like the hint module was faulty!"

Sure, you were meant to combine the code with the half you already found, but still.

Found by checking the body of a dead man in a birds nest, finding a gum wrapper, and examining the gum wrapper only to find half of the code ruined by the gum. Because of course time cop robots would in fact, chew gum, and use their time travel codes as gum wrappers :shepface:

I wish I knew offhand how many other games pulled the "Hint guide to the game you are playing, that you can find and read inside the game you are playing."

Trolling myself with "I did not grasp the concept of copy protection", SQ5 was my first Sierra game. I beat the first 1/20th of it at least a dozen times only to be stonewalled having no idea how to launch my ship, because I didn't know any of the space coordinates. Eventually, I finally realized the Galactic Enquirer it came with had star codes on the astrology pages... Baby's first case of "What the gently caress, Devs?"

Speaking of Space Quest and strategy guides, I ended up buying a really fancy one that had the first five games and was actually written like a novel. So instead of just giving the answers straight out they would describe it as part of a story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a new movie coming out next week that's a 100% first person action movie that looks pretty crazy, it's called Hardcore Henry.

• Locked thread