Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i worked in geography for 14 years, but now i work in healthcare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Jonad posted:

commandeering this thread as the new yospos geographic information systems thread

how about that arcpython? plangs lol

that's partly how I got my current awesome job

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

we didn't upgrade to arc 10 until mid 2013

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

also we had pentium 4s and core2duos until late 2012. lmao

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Jonad posted:

lol

running $4,000 worth of software on $500 dollar desktops

p much

when we upgraded, they got us dells with i3s. they were about $700 each iirc.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

this was in the newest nat geo wasn't it. i think that's where i recognize it from.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i tried qgis a few months ago and uh wow it was bad. but then i'm really used to esri because i used that for 14 years. idk.

right after i quit my gis job i was thinking of paying the $100/yr for the personal license but ehhhhhh

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

most of my last gis job (i was there for 7 years) was creating configuration files for our internal tools, building ETL jobs in FME, writing documentation, and dealing with india. people who looked at my resume were all "hmm i don't see much gis experience here". it was v. frustrating and as much as i like maps and it being the family business going back 3 generations and all, i'm glad i'm in a different field now.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

of the ones I've used, arcgis is by far the least terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

I had to use GE SmallWorld for one project and every day I hoped I would die in a car accident on my 25 mile commute.

• Locked thread