Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
maps are super duper cool

gis tools are decidedly not super duper cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Elder Postsman posted:

most of my last gis job (i was there for 7 years) was creating configuration files for our internal tools, building ETL jobs in FME, writing documentation, and dealing with india. people who looked at my resume were all "hmm i don't see much gis experience here". it was v. frustrating and as much as i like maps and it being the family business going back 3 generations and all, i'm glad i'm in a different field now.

I ran into pretty much the exact same problem. worked for years building in house gis tech, including a pretty darn good in-house web map client (before the current open source stuff was worth a drat), building custom map servers, lots of raster/vector/postgis janitoring, and so on but my resume didn't say "ArcGIS" so nobody gave a drat.

• Locked thread