Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

hc svnt dracones hurr durr

Elder Postsman posted:

this was in the newest nat geo wasn't it. i think that's where i recognize it from.

i can't recall which ancient map blog i pulled it from. if i remember i'll post it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

classic

california is computers, rightfully being reclaimed by the ocean

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

gis tools are -ok-, i'm not sure what the alternative could be. a less hostile ui would devalue gis techs as mentioned already lol. depends what you need it for, idk most of my time is wasted kludging data for preparation. in the "i'm not paying 15 thousand dollars for loving software" open sores arena, Mapbox/tilemill (+mapnik) and Leaflet.js are alright for dicking around if the underlying technologies aren't triggering to you. openlayers is ok if you're willing to wade through poo poo. qgis is painful but serviceable.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

hmm. i'll have to trial it and virtualize winders, only a few of esris products work on *nix/mac. my comfort with bad tools must be stockholm syndrome.

• Locked thread