Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Sodium is a metal that explodes on contact with water, and Chlorine is a gas that melts your loving face if it gets anywhere near you. There's no way people would have been able to mix those two things together to make regular salt on their own, they would have been exploded or melted if they even tried. So where did all the salt come from, hmm atheists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

DeusExMachinima posted:

He said God not Satan.
Well he never said a fair and just and also benevolent God.

God is a sock, is what i'm saying.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
This is actually an interesting thought experiment. What would undeniable proof of the existence of God look like? If you don't already believe, what wouldn't just make you think you were going insane? What would be strong enough to convince everyone but gentle enough not to make people lose touch with reality?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Skeesix posted:

This is actually an interesting thought experiment. What would undeniable proof of the existence of God look like? If you don't already believe, what wouldn't just make you think you were going insane? What would be strong enough to convince everyone but gentle enough not to make people lose touch with reality?

There's basically not really a way to convince everyone. Significant portions of the population would think it's something like aliens even if a booming voice and random miracles started happening.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Skeesix posted:

Nope. If I can experience it, that isn't god... that's alien.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_V:_The_Final_Frontier#Plot

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
God is the most perfect being that we can imagine, and existence is certainly more perfect than nonexistence. Therefore, god must exist.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing exists without an observer, the universe existed before humans could observe it. We only perceive time in a single direction, when in reality time and space are a single thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Where's Kyrie when you need him?

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Behoooolldd the Atheist's Nightmare !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of90cKxSeuw

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The existence of the banana proves there is an indestructible element of my personality that will continue after death.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Svaha posted:

Behoooolldd the Atheist's Nightmare !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of90cKxSeuw

Someone as stupid as Kirk Cameron truly must be someones nightmare.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyyowgK5gCk

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Where's Kyrie when you need him?

Hell. May god rest his soul.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Strudel Man posted:

God is the most perfect being that we can imagine, and existence is certainly more perfect than nonexistence. Therefore, god must exist.

David Benatar posted:

It is uncontroversial to say that
1)The presence of pain is bad
and that
2)The presence of pleasure is good

However, such symmetrical evaluation does not seem to apply to the absence of pain and pleasure, for it strikes me as true that
3)The absence of pain is good even if that good is not enjoyed by anyone,
whereas
4)The absence of pleasure is not bad unless there is somebody for whom that absence is a deprivation.
Nonexistence is more perfect than existence.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

SedanChair posted:

Actually both logic and mathematics rest on just a few foundational assumptions that we can never really seem to prove as true, we just look at each other nervously and say "that makes sense." And that's where God lives, inside a little stone house with a chimney puffing away.

Didn't Bertrand Russell set out to prove the fundamentals of mathematics? I seem to remember he published work that proved that 1 + 1 = 2, which seems kind of silly but it's the sort of thing that is quite important, otherwise everything is hosed.

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

A = A therefore God is real.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

MOLLUSC posted:

A = A therefore God is real.

I can see you have met Matt Slick before.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Skeesix posted:

I don't know what would make me believe. But if God does exist and it knows everything about us, it must know what it would take to make all of us believe and it's chosen not to reveal itself. Maybe it has a good reason not to reveal itself, or maybe it just doesn't mind one way or the other if people don't believe in it. If it really did create us, then it deliberately made us without the ability to clearly perceive it. If it does turn out to be real I hope it doesn't punish us for that.

CommieGIR posted:

Someone as stupid as Kirk Cameron truly must be someones nightmare.

I keep getting him mixed up with the Goatman, Kirk Johnson.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I refuse to believe a species as awful as humanity could arise out of natural processes.

There has to be somebody to blame!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skeesix posted:

Consistent, functional experience with obvious divine intervention, intelligence in every facet of human design, and the existence of life after death would probably convince me that, if not god, then something at least functionally similar to god exists.

Even if god did exist, he's so elusive and so much of the stuff about him is obviously made up by people that there is no way a thing that exists and has consistently existed for thousands of years would meet everyone's ideal expectations of what god is.

A practical skeptic's point of view should probably be that anything functionally similar to god is enough cause for adjusting your life priorities. If it's going to send you to hell for annoying it, it doesn't greatly matter whether it's god or not, it may be practical to do as it tells you.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zenithe posted:

I can see you have met Matt Slick before.

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A dead child's smile

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Skeesix posted:

What would be strong enough to convince everyone but gentle enough not to make people lose touch with reality?

Sounds like quite the Secret.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

:gizz: jizzin' :gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
One time I beat up God and he cried like a little bitch.

• Locked thread