Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

I had no idea a WWF beat-'em-up that looks like River City Ransom was one of WayForward's first games. Is it always the same basic plot with your character as the hero, and the other wrestlers as the bosses? That would be kinda neat.

Edit: Also someone please LP Guardians of the Hood. I've never played it, but I loved Pit-Fighter as a kid, for reasons I can't fathom.

I'll do it once I've worked out how to actually play it without looking absolutely terrible at it, although I could claim it's the game that looks terrible and not my abilities.

Also, I'm all in favour of a beat em ups megathread. Question is, would it be simply links to other threads or would it actually be multiple games in the same thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Well when I have come across megathreads here, they're usually all one thread, with many contributors posting their own. Like look at the 2007 style thread, or the old hard games or disney games threads for examples. I'd participate, but I'm really not very good at these games despite liking them. Hell, I think Double Dragon II and River City Ransom are the only "real" beat em ups I actually owned.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Can I be super lazy and post my no-death run of Maximum Carnage back in the Hard Games thread? Since god knows I'm not doing *that* again.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

DeathChicken posted:

Can I be super lazy and post my no-death run of Maximum Carnage back in the Hard Games thread? Since god knows I'm not doing *that* again.

Yes, that sounds like an excellent idea.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Bazoom

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

I dare you to do Separation Anxiety.

Also, after spending far more time than I'm willing to admit to in the training mode in Guardians of the Hood, I think I've worked out the movesets. Well, at least Chief's one (still need to work out what the backbreaker is). At least they learned their lesson with the piledriver after the stupidity of the Pit Fighter one.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Will be watching today.

Hoss Corncave posted:

I dare you to do Separation Anxiety.

Also, after spending far more time than I'm willing to admit to in the training mode in Guardians of the Hood, I think I've worked out the movesets. Well, at least Chief's one (still need to work out what the backbreaker is). At least they learned their lesson with the piledriver after the stupidity of the Pit Fighter one.

I don't suppose there are any FAQs, are there?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I don't suppose there are any FAQs, are there?

Not that I can find. I worked out the backbreaker today though. It's LP+LK on a kneeling opponent.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Not that I can find. I worked out the backbreaker today though. It's LP+LK on a kneeling opponent.

You are a brave man.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

You are a brave man.

Brave or stupid. Maybe a mix of both.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Brave or stupid. Maybe a mix of both.

Just think of yourself as an anthropologist.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In this next video, we punch more bad guys.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Just think of yourself as an anthropologist.

I don't think that's going to work.

Also, did Hwa not join the group after that? I'm guessing Raiden probably won't either.

Although, an interesting idea for Raiden would be if after he was beaten, he renounced working for Geese and then became playable, but using his Big Bear character and sprites from FF2, since that's what happens in the FF storyline. That said, Hwa become's Joe's sparring partner after the original, so it could be believable that he'd join the group now.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

I don't think that's going to work.

Also, did Hwa not join the group after that? I'm guessing Raiden probably won't either.

Although, an interesting idea for Raiden would be if after he was beaten, he renounced working for Geese and then became playable, but using his Big Bear character and sprites from FF2, since that's what happens in the FF storyline. That said, Hwa become's Joe's sparring partner after the original, so it could be believable that he'd join the group now.

The story is based only on the original game, so we won't be seeing Big Bear, unfortunately.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In this next bit of side content, we dive into the world of doujin. Just a little.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In this next video, we beated Raiden.

Bout Five: Raiden

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
drat, Tung's super form is really strong. Why would you pick anyone else if it just stays forever, and are there any drawbacks to it?

Also, I was kinda disappointed that the doujin game you did wasn't a full parody of Final Fight complete with a doujin Haggar.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

drat, Tung's super form is really strong. Why would you pick anyone else if it just stays forever, and are there any drawbacks to it?

Also, I was kinda disappointed that the doujin game you did wasn't a full parody of Final Fight complete with a doujin Haggar.

The only drawback to his super form is that it uses half your energy meter to transform. But you get that back so quickly it doesn't really matter.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In this video, we play my favorite beat em up of all time.

Goits of Rage

april fools

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

In this video, we play my favorite beat em up of all time.

Goits of Rage

april fools

I did think this was less a loose playthrough of a troll mod and more you releasing some sort of new hip music track with random voice and Streets of Rage music samples that you had seemingly managed to sync gameplay perfectly with.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

I did think this was less a loose playthrough of a troll mod and more you releasing some sort of new hip music track with random voice and Streets of Rage music samples that you had seemingly managed to sync gameplay perfectly with.

I honestly wish that's what this was. That would've been great.

I can't tell if Goits of Rage is a parody/spoof of the original Beats of Rage that came with the engine, someone's really strange dadaist art project, or a guy dicking around with people.

Oh, and that six mintues of gameplay in the video was actually 60 minutes of realtime gameplay.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

In this next video, we beated Raiden.

Bout Five: Raiden

Mother loving Tung Fu Ru illustrates why he's the best SNK character.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In this video, we take a look at SNK's answer to Final Fight.

Side Bout: Burning Fight

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

I honestly wish that's what this was. That would've been great.

I can't tell if Goits of Rage is a parody/spoof of the original Beats of Rage that came with the engine, someone's really strange dadaist art project, or a guy dicking around with people.

Oh, and that six mintues of gameplay in the video was actually 60 minutes of realtime gameplay.

Yeah, it looked like you had cut out a lot of footage. I like to think you were constantly saying "We can... play..." all the way through it as well. Also, I don't think we're supposed to know what Goits of Rage is. In fact, I'm sure our minds can't comprehend it and would explode from the sheer amount of the unbelievable fantastic.

In this video, we take a look at SNK's answer to Final Fight.

Side Bout: Burning Fight

Ahhh, so it was Burning Fight where the coins came from. I remember playing it and thinking "Cool, another game like Streets of Rage!" and then being thoroughly bored by it. I was young and foolish.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The guns kind of reminded me of The Punisher, and then I was sad since that game was actually good.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Yeah, it looked like you had cut out a lot of footage. I like to think you were constantly saying "We can... play..." all the way through it as well. Also, I don't think we're supposed to know what Goits of Rage is. In fact, I'm sure our minds can't comprehend it and would explode from the sheer amount of the unbelievable fantastic.

Ahhh, so it was Burning Fight where the coins came from. I remember playing it and thinking "Cool, another game like Streets of Rage!" and then being thoroughly bored by it. I was young and foolish.

DeathChicken posted:

The guns kind of reminded me of The Punisher, and then I was sad since that game was actually good.

A lot of people consider Burning Fight to be a "kusoge". I wouldn't say it's that bad, but it was literally just Final Fight with a kick mechanic and less interesting bosses.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

A lot of people consider Burning Fight to be a "kusoge". I wouldn't say it's that bad, but it was literally just Final Fight with a kick mechanic and less interesting bosses.

I'll try playing through it again at some point this week (yes, I know I should be practicing on Guardians of the Hood, but, y'know, it's Guardians of the Hood and all that) and see if my opinion has changed in... about 15 years.

I think I only discovered the game because Duke was an extra striker in KOF2000 and I decided to see where he came from, and then decided to play it when I found out it was a scrolling beatemup.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

I'll try playing through it again at some point this week (yes, I know I should be practicing on Guardians of the Hood, but, y'know, it's Guardians of the Hood and all that) and see if my opinion has changed in... about 15 years.

I think I only discovered the game because Duke was an extra striker in KOF2000 and I decided to see where he came from, and then decided to play it when I found out it was a scrolling beatemup.

Duke made a cameo in KOF?

Either way, don't put your expectations too high. The bosses are mildly enjoyable and there's some decent level design, but it builds to an unimpressive and abrupt climax. I recommend playing 64th Street instead.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Duke made a cameo in KOF?

Either way, don't put your expectations too high. The bosses are mildly enjoyable and there's some decent level design, but it builds to an unimpressive and abrupt climax. I recommend playing 64th Street instead.

Yeah, a bunch of characters from other games showed up as striker only characters. All characters in the game had alternate striker characters that could be selected. Off the top of my head, the ones not from KOF/FF/AOF that I can remember are:

Duke (Burning Fight)
Nakoruru (Samurai Shodown)
Gai Tendou (Buriki One)
Kaede (Last Blade)
Rocky (Robo Army)
G-Mantle (SNK mascot)
Fio (Metal Slug)
King Lion and Kim Sue Il (Savage Reign/Kizuna Encounter)
Neo and Geo (Quiz *something* - I forget the name of it)

Thing is, pretty much all of them are pointless. G-Mantle has some decent combo potential, but he's not Joe or Seth or Another Iori or Syo.

And I'm trying to remember 64th Street. I know I've played it before but I can't remember much of it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Yeah, a bunch of characters from other games showed up as striker only characters. All characters in the game had alternate striker characters that could be selected. Off the top of my head, the ones not from KOF/FF/AOF that I can remember are:

Duke (Burning Fight)
Nakoruru (Samurai Shodown)
Gai Tendou (Buriki One)
Kaede (Last Blade)
Rocky (Robo Army)
G-Mantle (SNK mascot)
Fio (Metal Slug)
King Lion and Kim Sue Il (Savage Reign/Kizuna Encounter)
Neo and Geo (Quiz *something* - I forget the name of it)

Thing is, pretty much all of them are pointless. G-Mantle has some decent combo potential, but he's not Joe or Seth or Another Iori or Syo.

And I'm trying to remember 64th Street. I know I've played it before but I can't remember much of it.

64th Street's main unique feature is that you hurl enemies into the background, instead of to your sides, which allows for slightly more interaction with the environment than other beat em ups.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I'm watching the longplay of it and all I can think of is "What was on the letter and the adverts in the paper?"

Also, I quite audibly said "WHY DID YOU DROP THE PIPE WHEN YOU'RE ONLY GOING AROUND THE CORNER ONTO THE NEXT STREET?" which got some funny looks from my coworkers. Then I realised why he did it: "because beatemups".

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

I'm watching the longplay of it and all I can think of is "What was on the letter and the adverts in the paper?"

Also, I quite audibly said "WHY DID YOU DROP THE PIPE WHEN YOU'RE ONLY GOING AROUND THE CORNER ONTO THE NEXT STREET?" which got some funny looks from my coworkers. Then I realised why he did it: "because beatemups".

Is there a traditional 2D beat em up in which there is not a pipe?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Is there a traditional 2D beat em up in which there is not a pipe?

Yes, ironically, Burning Fight doesn't have one. I just played through the game and didn't see one at all. Knife, bottle, gun, dynamite, and stick are all in, but no pipe.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Yes, ironically, Burning Fight doesn't have one. I just played through the game and didn't see one at all. Knife, bottle, gun, dynamite, and stick are all in, but no pipe.

Did you complete it? Maybe stick is the new pipe. Just a lot less durable.

How'd you feel about that abrupt final boss and ending?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Did you complete it? Maybe stick is the new pipe. Just a lot less durable.

How'd you feel about that abrupt final boss and ending?

Yes I did. There was some cheap stuff from the fat sumo guys if you get surrounded since they'll knock you down and do a jumping attack that you can't avoid as you get up. Billy can't even special because he's not invincible until the shoulder charge starts, so he is taking damage from them whether he likes it or not.

And the final boss seemed like a bad Belger rip off, and Belger was a bad boss in the first place.

Also, pipe > stick. No doubt about it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Yes I did. There was some cheap stuff from the fat sumo guys if you get surrounded since they'll knock you down and do a jumping attack that you can't avoid as you get up. Billy can't even special because he's not invincible until the shoulder charge starts, so he is taking damage from them whether he likes it or not.

And the final boss seemed like a bad Belger rip off, and Belger was a bad boss in the first place.

Also, pipe > stick. No doubt about it.

It's a game where getting knocked over is a death sentence, yeah.

At least Belger had character.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

It's a game where getting knocked over is a death sentence, yeah.

At least Belger had character.

It's just the fact that your special attack should be an emergency escape or a "Get the hell off me!" move where you're invincible throughout and it takes some life off you or uses some other mechanic (like SOR3's power bars). However, the Burning Fight ones aren't (or at least Billy's isn't). They are at least the single most damaging moves in the game from the player side, and at least don't take life off you if you don't hit anyone.

Eh, he was alright. He had a wheelchair and a crossbow, fell out of a high building and then went on to become a zombie. He never took over the town or anything, he just kidnapped the mayor's daughter. At least Mr. X did what he set out to do before he got defeated. Well, except in Streets of Rage 3, but that plot was way too dumb.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

It's just the fact that your special attack should be an emergency escape or a "Get the hell off me!" move where you're invincible throughout and it takes some life off you or uses some other mechanic (like SOR3's power bars). However, the Burning Fight ones aren't (or at least Billy's isn't). They are at least the single most damaging moves in the game from the player side, and at least don't take life off you if you don't hit anyone.

Eh, he was alright. He had a wheelchair and a crossbow, fell out of a high building and then went on to become a zombie. He never took over the town or anything, he just kidnapped the mayor's daughter. At least Mr. X did what he set out to do before he got defeated. Well, except in Streets of Rage 3, but that plot was way too dumb.

I just liked the implication that he was so lovely he hid in a wheelchair to avoid being fought.

And Mr. X is by far my favorite beat em up villain, but I'm heavily biased toward Streets of Rage.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

I just liked the implication that he was so lovely he hid in a wheelchair to avoid being fought.

And Mr. X is by far my favorite beat em up villain, but I'm heavily biased toward Streets of Rage.

I'm heavily biased towards Streets of Rage too. It's one of the series that made me a lifelong Sega fan to this day, and SoR2 is one of my all time favourite games. The gameplay is spot on to where it can be challenging but never feels unfair, and all the characters are vastly different and have the ideal amount of moves (no attacks in the game feel like they're redundant, nor does it feel like there aren't enough moves like the first one kinda did). Appearance wise, it looks bright and vibrant, and the soundtrack, despite being pretty much taken from 90's dance music is still amazing to this day. Finally, it doesn't feel like it goes on too long or too short, and with the stage transitions, none of them feel like they drag on at all. It really is that good a game to me.

Also, Mr. X works because of both who he is, and the plot behind him is simple (until SoR3, like I said earlier). He's not really an impressive fighter - he can hit pretty hard and has to use a Tommy gun, but he's wealthy and charismatic and as such controls a massive crime syndicate that has taken over a city. That's all you know about him, and yet it's reason enough for you to want to go out and kick his rear end in. Then you want to do it even more so in the sequel when he comes back, kidnaps Adam, and you have to do the whole thing over again (albeit with a more diverse group of enemies). There was no need for massive story cutscenes. Just "This guy's done this. That ain't good. Stop them." was enough in those days, and playing the game along with your imagination filled in the blanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In this video, we take on the infamous Billy Kane

Bout Six: Billy Kane

• Locked thread