Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
do you like institutional racism in the US?
no it seems bad
i dunno, maybe the cops have a point
hmm...not sure op
View Results

• Locked thread
baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
The US has always had, and continues to have, a problem with race.

quote:

Ferguson’s law enforcement practices are shaped by the City’s focus on revenue rather than by public safety needs. This emphasis on revenue has compromised the institutional character of Ferguson’s police department, contributing to a pattern of unconstitutional policing, and has also shaped its municipal court, leading to procedures that raise due process concerns and inflict unnecessary harm on members of the Ferguson community. Further, Ferguson’s police and municipal court practices both reflect and exacerbate existing racial bias, including racial stereotypes. Ferguson’s own data establish clear racial disparities that adversely impact African Americans.

quote:

Officers expect and demand compliance even when they lack legal authority. They are inclined to interpret the exercise of free-speech rights as unlawful disobedience, innocent movements as physical threats, indications of mental or physical illness as belligerence. Police supervisors and leadership do too little to ensure that officers act in accordance with law and policy, and rarely respond meaningfully to civilian complaints of officer misconduct. The result is a pattern of stops without reasonable suspicion and arrests without probable cause in violation of the Fourth Amendment; infringement on free expression, as well as retaliation for protected expression, in violation of the First Amendment; and excessive force in violation of the Fourth Amendment.

quote:

African Americans are more than twice as likely as white drivers to be searched during vehicle stops even after controlling for non-race based variables ... but are found in possession of contraband 26% less often than white drivers, suggesting officers are impermissibly considering race as a factor when determining whether to search. African Americans are more likely to be cited and arrested following a stop regardless of why the stop was initiated ... FPD appears to bring certain offenses almost exclusively against African Americans. For example, from 2011 to 2013, African Americans accounted for 95% of Manner of Walking in Roadway charges, and 94% of all Failure to Comply charges.

quote:

Nearly 90% of documented force used by FPD officers was used against African Americans. In every canine bite incident for which racial information is available, the person bitten was African American.

I've heard people justify the excessive use of force used by PD because they feel like their lives are in danger when dealing with black people. Not only is this an idiotic excuse (because cops are professionals and their job isn't particularly dangerous anyway) but also because a cop is more likely to be killed by a white person than a black one. However, the chance of being killed on the job for a cop is so vanishingly small (it isn't even the top ten most dangerous jobs in the US) that there is no excuse for this disparity.

quote:

The discriminatory effects of Ferguson’s conduct are driven at least in part by discriminatory intent in violation of the Fourteenth Amendment.

Sadly, the recent Ferguson report is merely part of a growing body of evidence that racial discrimination in the US exists in both law enforcement and in the judiciary system. In response to the recent protests in Madison, the mayor said this:

quote:

At the gathering, Madison’s mayor, Paul Soglin, told the Guardian that since the killing was being investigated by the Wisconsin Department of Justice, he had no information on why officer Kenny had used his firearm rather than a taser when reportedly struggling with Robinson. He also acknowledged racial disparities in the city’s policing.

Soglin noted that white youths who are arrested are diverted out of the system early in the process and generally end up avoiding further involvement. For African Americans, he said, there was no diversion.

“The mathematics are real simple,” Soglin said. “You’re going to get arrested again and again and again, and you’re not going to have that divergence that the white youth has.”

Soglin said the city’s efforts to change the early stages of this process would lead to a dramatic reduction in all arrests.

Both the mayor and the police chief in Madison are interested in addressing the grievances that the protestors have, and the protests have been mostly peaceful. This is how things will hopefully go in the future.

This thread is not for discussing the details of the shootings. If you want to obsess over the minute-by-minute reconstructions of the incidents as they work their way through the judicial system this isn't the place for it. The shootings themselves are just catalysts, the important part of these protests is that they are being used to highlight systematic racism in the US law enforcement and legal systems.

I want this to be about institutional racism in the US (I'm also interested in any comparative information that people have, such as the plight of the Romani in Europe.) I'm not sure if the US is uniquely bad with regards to race in the first world (it certainly is when it comes to incarceration rates), but we might be just because of how many racial minorities we have in the US and the centuries of discrimination against them for our entire history. It also doesn't help that one of two major parties in the US has been courting racist votes for over 50 years. There have been efforts by GOP-led legislatures to pass Voter ID laws which, while ostensibly about combatting non-existent voter fraud, make voting more difficult for two demographics that tend to vote against the GOP: poors and minorities. The Supreme Court opened the door to this when they struck down the preclearance requirement for such legislation in Shelby County v Holder. Anyone who supports the GOP is enabling these policies.

The Ferguson report is hopefully just one of many, because at this point we can only guess just how widespread these biases are. When the mayor of liberal hippy town Madison admits that there is a problem, it shows that the US is not the racially harmonious society that we pretend to be.

Obama's speech on the 50th Anniversary of the Selma marches is a good one, and this is coming from someone who is pretty cynical about political speeches. With these revelations coming to light and with the media finally focusing on it I'm confident that we are at least on our way to being able to have a national dialogue about racism in the US (even if half of the dialogue is Fox calling Obama a reverse racist.) Racism has always been part of US history, and it still is. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. The biggest thing to remember is that these issues don't away just because people don't talk about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
i think its pretty cool the state supreme court had to step in and take over the municipality. i hope its not the last time either.

lets burn this mother fucker down.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
tldr kill whitey

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

RideTheSpiral posted:

tldr kill whitey

as long as the irish don't count

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

stop spraying communist propaganda op

baw
Nov 5, 2008

ArmZ posted:

you joke, but

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

ArmZ posted:

Back when I worked in a Nordstrom, I'd add a little bit of communism to the cologne and perfume samples. I did for three months before someone finally caught me doing it and called in the capitalist gestapo. I killed three of them with a broken bottle of Poison before a police sniper brought me down.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Back when I worked in a Nordstrom, I'd add a little bit of communism to the cologne and perfume samples. I did for three months before someone finally caught me doing it and called in the capitalist gestapo. I killed three of them with a broken bottle of Poison before a police sniper brought me down.

More like cummunism

And the gaystapo

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Matey posted:

More like cummunism

No man if your cum is red you should go to a doctor.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
so youre telling me a town that is 67% black that black people did most of the crime

:eyepop:

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
hi my names eric holder and i believe a solution to black crime is instituting racial punishment quotas starting in schools!

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Daedra posted:

so youre telling me a town that is 67% black that black people did most of the crime

:wow:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Daedra posted:

also it's more likely that a white person will kill a police officer than a black person - truly shocking when there are 6x more white people in the us than black

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
whaatt

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Neurosis posted:

also it's more likely that a white person will kill a police officer than a black person - truly shocking when there are 6x more white people in the us than black

their work isn't even dangerous so they can stop whining anyway. they need to do their goddamn jobs like the rest of us and people shouldn't make excuses for them

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

probably by accident and only after hitting like a dozen bystanders and a stray dog.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Daedra posted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
faaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
black people

baw
Nov 5, 2008

no one actually think that this refutes the findings in the report or anything right

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

OP do you have the stats of crime in Ferguson that is black-on-black, too?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Count Freebasie posted:

OP do you have the stats of crime in Ferguson that is black-on-black, too?

black on black crime is a major problem

what is your point

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

baw posted:

black on black crime is a major problem

what is your point

I think what he's trying to say is that you're the real racist.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I know white people suck; you don't have to tell me.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Hobohemian posted:

I know white people suck; you don't have to tell me.

it's good to have data to back it up tho

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

baw posted:

it's good to have data to back it up tho

agreed.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

does this excuse institutionalized racism against blacks?

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

baw posted:

does this excuse institutionalized racism against blacks?

Uh, no. I'm agreeing with you!

baw
Nov 5, 2008

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Uh, no. I'm agreeing with you, duh!

that's good because i'm right

the sovereign citizen thing made me skeptical but ok glad to see we agree

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
i believe that humans are smart enough to figure out how to end racism.

lol

Foolhorn
Dec 5, 2003

Remember kids, be like Billy. Behave yourself.
I'm glad they have pinpointed the center of all racial problems in the United States and will strike significantly to alleviate it.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

i believe that humans are smart enough to figure out how to end racism.

lol

i think that the only real end to institutional racism in the US will be when demographic changes make it more and more difficult to implement

i'm pessimistic about the US having some moment where they're like "ok ok OK we get it, institutionalized racism is bad, sorry folks"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
im not racist, but im also not black, so i really dont give a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU