Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I have a different question about Animal Therapy, actually. If you have two Rovers, and both have the skill, do their collective ranks stack? And if so, is there increased benefit from having a hound and falcon out at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Rangpur posted:

I have a different question about Animal Therapy, actually. If you have two Rovers, and both have the skill, do their collective ranks stack? And if so, is there increased benefit from having a hound and falcon out at the same time?

No. If you have two Rovers that know the skill, the game just uses whatever the highest level between them is.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Final boss down, party level 60. Fought it completely blind, won on the second try. Some endgame thoughts:

The whole fifth stratum kinda comes out of nowhere and then all of a sudden you're fighting the ultimate darkness blah blah blah, hell there's literally no explanation for the final boss save what Arken tells you in the room. Fight itself got very dicey a few times, I had a lot of trouble recovering when one or two people got killed. I attribute much of my success to the first and only time Altar ever landed its petrify component (though I only started using it around the 5th stratum and only in FOE fights) buying me a few badly needed rounds of damage and healing. Helm Splitter pairs obscenely well with Petrify. :fuckoff:

e: also real mad about the miasma doing flat damage which instakilled my turrets :argh:

Stuck my head into the 6th stratum for a bit, but I dunno if I'm going to push through it or if I will begin the DESCENT INTO MADNESS and try a loving Harbinger SCC or something :unsmigghh:

theshim fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 1, 2017

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

A Magical Lamp posted:

I found that too, 4th stratum has a weirdly high encounter rate.

It feels like it. I'm stuck in this little area where I gotta break four boulders and this worm+dog combo keep trapping me. It's butts.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The Hex union skill + party-wide elemental attacks from a shaman + chain killer from my fencer results in a turn of serious rear end whooping.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

edit: deleted cos I can't make the spoiler bar work for whatever reason

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Aerofallosov posted:

It feels like it. I'm stuck in this little area where I gotta break four boulders and this worm+dog combo keep trapping me. It's butts.

Lure the dog away in another room. Then enter the worm room from another door. It has two entrances.

I don't actually remember how I solved it, but the dog wasn't in the same room at least.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Handgun Phonics posted:

Does Healing Up apply to the passive heals the Hound does every turn, or the party-wide effect on Animal Therapy? Or is it only for Aid Command / Guard Command?

The latter. Animal Therapy for whatever reason actually comes from the Rover and is affected by their WIS.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Lmao the Primordiphant fight

A second Buster Cannon user? When I have Tombstone Vice? Aw game, you shouldn't have.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

edit: Nevermind I figured it out immediatly after posting.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 1, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Lmao the Primordiphant fight

A second Buster Cannon user? When I have Tombstone Vice? Aw game, you shouldn't have.

A couple of the postgame fights are hilarious because they're like gifts for specific party comps. Got a disable-heavy party where you can deal a ton of damage to disabled enemies (Chain Killer, Leading Blow, Frigid Reap, etc.)? Have fun laughing your rear end off as you completely demolish Dryad.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The final boss' miasma penatrates through aigis shield.

Hmm.

I guess that makes sense? Talk about ouch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Probably works like curse damage, which I'm pretty sure penetrates Aegis Shield too.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Aerofallosov posted:

I think you have to kill them.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

A Magical Lamp posted:

I think you have to kill them.

You don't.

You lead the dog away in another room, enter the room from the front and then do the worm puzzle.

But if you can kill them the end of the floor is right there.

At least I think that's how it is. Pretty sure I never killed them.

Got caught by a bunch of 5th stratum FOEs and killed them though.

Also, beat the final boss. Success. I actually brought the Answerer for my chainer. He did lots with chain killer, but so did my harbinger.

Black Blade is so good.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 1, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aerofallosov posted:

If it's the room I'm thinking of, remember that you can make the dog dudes teleport away.

Actually you can do that to the worm, too, which I did completely accidentally.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Harrow posted:

If it's the room I'm thinking of, remember that you can make the dog dudes teleport away.

Actually you can do that to the worm, too, which I did completely accidentally.

Ahahaha

I actually though about doing that, but things like that you can 95% screw up.

Because I'm sure it involves battling.

Anyway, I remembered wrong, the key is to lure the dog on the teleporter tile without teleporting yourself. You obviously can't do this if you entered this room from the south side. You have to enter from the north because the teleporter is there.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I should probably stop making new characters. Most everyone in the guild is still equipped with stuff from halfway through the 3rd stratum. I'm on 18F.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Ahahaha

I actually though about doing that, but things like that you can 95% screw up.

Because I'm sure it involves battling.

Nope, you can do it by breaking the upper crystals strategically, it's great.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I don't think any of the FOE 'puzzles' ever require you to fight them, even just to retreat on the first turn. However there are a couple where you'll probably be cutting it pretty close, and an encounter at the wrong time can seriously mess you up. Then there are cases where you'd have to leave the floor and come back, either to reset a couple obstacles, or because you need sunlight (in the case of the 3rd stratum). Which is usually when I get fed up and just make a break for it. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 1, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Meh, I just got super tired of it by the end of the 5th stratum and just beat them up.

What a pain :(

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
same. I don't remember the puzzles being this bad in eo4

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This game definitely puts more weight on FOE puzzles than EO4 did, and it loves to put them together on the final floor of a stratum to see if you can navigate all their different rules simultaneously.

I have mixed feelings about it, myself. I do like FOE puzzles but relying too heavily on them can get pretty tiring.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I just skipped B5's puzzle by killing the FOEs I already murdered in the demo. Sounds like I'll be doing more of that.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
By the 5th stratum, FOEs shouldn't really take that long to kill anyway. I just killed everything for the exp anyway.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
sanctum 2/3/4 aren't that bad. It's only 5 where it becomes a chore to play dodge simulator in every room.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Right so, I made it to the 6th stratum.

I also received a plot accessory that grants both strength and intelligence, who do I give it to?

I rested my shaman into a punisher for the final boss, but I'm re-resting them back to a herald again.

So who else?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm okay with the balance they've struck thus far. It has a loooong way to go before it reaches the level of Persona Q. Then again I haven't reached the teleport puzzles everyone loves so much on 19 & 20F so that may change. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I actually liked the teleport puzzles a lot, especially when you start using the teleporters against FOEs.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
the teleporting isn't that bad. you just shift further to where you're facing. easy peasy and can be solved with simple usage of the single directional arrows.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is the Cradle Edge the best scythe, or is there an even better one I should aim to get for my Harbinger?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Right so, I made it to the 6th stratum.

I also received a plot accessory that grants both strength and intelligence, who do I give it to?

I rested my shaman into a punisher for the final boss, but I'm re-resting them back to a herald again.

So who else?

I still have no idea who should get that accessory so I just chucked it in storage. Maybe on buster cannon dragoon if it affects the fire damage?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It doesn’t. As far as I know all attacks are either totally STR or totally INT. Nobody can really make much use of that accessory’s full stats honestly.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
a bow using smoke botanist

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Could also be good for divine punisher shaman since some of the oracles run off int and some off strength I think.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

KonvexKonkav posted:

Could also be good for divine punisher shaman since some of the oracles run off int and some off strength I think.

None of the Oracle skills use STR, but Punisher Shamans do have one STR-based melee attack. That said, their INT-based and STR-based attacks are sorta mutually exclusive. They all require the Shaman to dispel buffs, either on themselves or others, and the STR-based one (Invoke Gods) requires the Shaman to dispel three buffs from themself. So you're either going to build up to Invoke Gods, in which case your INT doesn't matter, or you're using Dance/Mana Oracle, in which case your STR doesn't matter.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Yeah, I was thinking of Invoke Gods when I wrote this. Wasn't sure about it though since I use a Herald Shaman.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I got so bored of Hell Slash that I decided to remake my party from the ground up and then I promptly couldn't decide what I wanted my new party to be about. :suicide:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

I got so bored of Hell Slash that I decided to remake my party from the ground up and then I promptly couldn't decide what I wanted my new party to be about. :suicide:

I'm gonna suggest the total opposite: Impact Pugilist nuke party. None of this chaser poo poo, no fancy multi-hit moves, just punch things as hard as possible and do it right the first time. Get an Impact Pugilist, a Dragoon to protect them, maybe throw in some passive Shaman healing, and fill the other two slots with whatever you want. (Second Pugilist to bind and save the Impact Pugilist time by using Overexertion for them? Blade Master Masurao to Armor Pierce? Deathguard Harbinger to debuff poo poo into the ground? Throw a Rover in there for the hell of it?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Harrow posted:

Is the Cradle Edge the best scythe, or is there an even better one I should aim to get for my Harbinger?

It probably is the best in terms of damage.

I love my +LUC scythe so much I don't want to let it go just yet.

• Locked thread