Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Think I've still got my Shaman carting around the bow from the first stratum with Aegis Prayer. I forged that poo poo up while playing the demo, (I think) yet it saves me spending any skill points on Aegis Prayer, and even benefits from Prayer Mastery.

I finally found the Master Key while delivering lunches for Jenetta, I assume the enemies/FOEs behind the sealed doors are roughly equivalent to 18-19F?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Rangpur posted:

Think I've still got my Shaman carting around the bow from the first stratum with Aegis Prayer. I forged that poo poo up while playing the demo, (I think) yet it saves me spending any skill points on Aegis Prayer, and even benefits from Prayer Mastery.

I finally found the Master Key while delivering lunches for Jenetta, I assume the enemies/FOEs behind the sealed doors are roughly equivalent to 18-19F?
Some of them are really nasty at that level, but yeah.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well I don't plan to fight any of the FOEs if I can help it. Only reason I survived fighting the turtle is that it just never used its charge-and-TPK attack. Still took like 30 turns to kill though because I didn't have a way to dispell Shell Guard either.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

theshim posted:

Some of them are really nasty at that level, but yeah.

This shouldn't be understated. The 2nd stratum ones, particularly, will mercilessly gently caress you up if you give them any opportunity to do so (or mishandle their mechanics)!

E:

Rangpur posted:

Well I don't plan to fight any of the FOEs if I can help it. Only reason I survived fighting the turtle is that it just never used its charge-and-TPK attack. Still took like 30 turns to kill though because I didn't have a way to dispell Shell Guard either.

When I fought the turtle, I found you had a few turns between shell guard falling off and him recasting it where you could just go full-ham on the bastard. Did I simply get lucky with the AI?

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 1, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Jimmy Hats posted:

This shouldn't be understated. The 2nd stratum ones, particularly, will mercilessly gently caress you up if you give them any opportunity to do so (or mishandle their mechanics)!

E:

When I fought the turtle, I found you had a few turns between shell guard falling off and him recasting it where you could just go full-ham on the bastard. Did I simply get lucky with the AI?

Typically enemies (especially FOEs and bosses) that buff themselves like that have a cooldown on the buffs so that they don't get stuck doing nothing all battle. And from what it looks like, those turtles do indeed have such a cooldown built into their AI.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Secret area encounters have got nothing to do with levels and stuff - they all have some kind of gimmick associated with them.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I got my rear end kicked by the hippogriff a couple of times. My levels are fine, I was running with dragoon/bind-focused pugilist/botanist/warlock/hound rover. I couldn't reliably bind the head or stop the wing shield and kept running out of steam around when it starts lightning storms every turn. I was thinking of swapping out the rover and botanist for a shaman and harbinger to put out more damage and disables, but IDK if that's going to work and I'm not sure I want to grind up some levels on something that won't work. Do you think I should just respec my existing party?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Secret area encounters have got nothing to do with levels and stuff - they all have some kind of gimmick associated with them.

Yeah, but even when you handle their gimmick properly the fire squirrels hit pretty dang hard.

E: to say nothing of the megavolt ones, whom i had to buy volt accessories just to survive the ambush from!

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Jimmy Hats posted:

Yeah, but even when you handle their gimmick properly the fire squirrels hit pretty dang hard.

E: to say nothing of the megavolt ones, whom i had to buy volt accessories just to survive the ambush from!

I used a killing bow to negate the ambush.

No matter which EO it is, squirrels are evil, and a massive pain.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I downloaded the EOV demo even though I'm still pushing through IV (On the Fourth Land, though, so I assume I'm nearing endgame.) because I got curious.

All the classes seem really fun this time around and only picking five out of the ten for a main party is going to be a nightmare.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

LordHippoman posted:

I downloaded the EOV demo even though I'm still pushing through IV (On the Fourth Land, though, so I assume I'm nearing endgame.) because I got curious.

All the classes seem really fun this time around and only picking five out of the ten for a main party is going to be a nightmare.

I picked all. Muahahaha

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
So, uh, how do I unlock the superboss? I'm at the last floor, and there's really nowhere to go.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

Grand Gigas posted:

So, uh, how do I unlock the superboss? I'm at the last floor, and there's really nowhere to go.

You can enter teleports from left and right.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
NVM beat the hippogryph by pumping volt smash to absurd levels.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Oh, poo poo. Nice. Can't wait to own this dude.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Harrow posted:

A couple of the postgame fights are hilarious because they're like gifts for specific party comps. Got a disable-heavy party where you can deal a ton of damage to disabled enemies (Chain Killer, Leading Blow, Frigid Reap, etc.)? Have fun laughing your rear end off as you completely demolish Dryad.

It was glorious.

I loved it.

Edit:

So for chain advice.

How many attacks can go off chain wise in one turn? Assuming you have an incredibly optimal party for triggering chains.

For defense sake, assume the enemy is fully bound / panicked / unable to move.

A chainer, with chain plus and chain double, dodge tank for deft thrust + sylphid, warlork, bow user 1 (probably a shaman), pugalist for overexertion (use oils / thunder fist / prayers to trigger chains).

Oh and for the parts boss you can have chain all + mass area stab attack

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 2, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

So for chain advice.

How many attacks can go off chain wise in one turn? Assuming you have an incredibly optimal party for triggering chains.

For defense sake, assume the enemy is fully bound / panicked / unable to move.

A chainer, with chain plus and chain double, dodge tank for deft thrust + sylphid, warlork, bow user 1 (probably a shaman), pugalist for overexertion (use oils / thunder fist / prayers to trigger chains).

Oh and for the parts boss you can have chain all + mass area stab attack

For single-target, it's something like:
  • Elemental chains - The maximum looks like it's 10 hits. You get a maximum of 5 chain activations (at least one of them necessarily coming from the dodge Fencer's counterattacks), Chain Double activating on each one. Pretty unlikely, but possible.
  • Chain Killer - If you're incredibly lucky and have a Rover, you could also pull off 10 hits: one ailment or bind inflicted per character, and then the Rover's falcon lands a head bind on its auto-attack. That's a really unlikely scenario, though, but it's definitely the "maximum" possible. If there's some weapon that lets a dodge Fencer inflict an ailment on a counterattack or something, that theoretical maximum could be higher, because Chain Killer doesn't have a set maximum for how many times it can activate like elemental chains do.
Once you throw in Chain All, though, all that goes out the window. If we assume an adequate number of targets with enough HP to survive to see all the chain hits happen:
  • Elemental chains - We're looking at 28 hits. Chain All rank 5 gets you 9 extra hits, and if each of those procs Chain Double, that means 18 more hits on top of the 10 you could already achieve. You would, however, need to be ridiculously lucky to pull this off. With 10 points into an elemental chain and 10 points into Chain Plus, you have a base 180% chance to chain off a hit and it goes down by 10% with each activation (Chain Double doesn't make it go down twice, I'm pretty sure). By the 9th activation, you're dipping under 100% chance, and by the 14th (the last possible one) you only have a 40% chance. But it's hypothetically possible. A team of four Warlocks (or just a team where everyone can either hit all the targets with elemental or stab damage) and a Chain Fencer with enough high-HP enemies to survive long enough, and stupidly good chain activation and Chain Double RNG, could see 28 chain hits.
  • Chain Killer - We're going to assume that you land every multi-target ailment or bind you attempt, and again that the targets survive all the hits. So, absolute best case scenario. Take the number of enemies you have, multiply it by four, then double it, and that's the hypothetical maximum you can hit. You have four characters who can land a multi-target ailment or bind (probably with items), Chain Killer will follow up each one, and it can double, with no maximum number of activations and no decreasing chance to activate. If you somehow had a fight with, say, six very high-HP enemies, you could hypothetically see Chain Killer hit 48 times. Realistically, though, Chain Killer hits so hard that no enemy in the game that appears in large numbers would ever survive more than a couple of hits.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Okay thanks.

I'm thinking of making a chain team, and using resonance, but every team I make just ends up being some kind of hybrid team.

I already chain killed a post game boss to death.

Also, it is stupid that the chainer gets speed boost and the dodge tank doesn't.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think chains are the most fun they've ever been in EOV, really. There's not a ton of setup required and the kind of party that can do well with chains is pretty flexible.

My party isn't perfect for elemental chains--my front liners, other than the Fencer, are a Harbinger and a Pugilist--but great for Chain Killer, and my Shaman can help cover up if I need to rely on elemental chains. The Harbinger can proc Chain Freeze with Frigid Reap, and the Pugilist can just use a Shaman's elemental buff and normally punch things. If the enemy resists ice, the Harbinger can use an elemental buff instead and the Pugilist can use Thunder Fist. And finally there's a Warlock, who obviously has no issues triggering chains.

It's a fun setup. Chain Killer deletes threatening enemies in random battles really quickly, and combined with Overexertion and some good ailment/bind luck is pretty good at taking out FOEs before I need to fall back on elemental chains at all. We'll see how this group does against bosses soon, though going by some videos I've seen, I won't be disappointed.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Is it worth putting points into summoning a hawk if I've gone all in on a doggy just for the attacks and head binds? I've gotten halfway through the 5th stratum without needing a bird pal but I was curious if there was any value in just summoning the other pet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Not once you're in the 5th stratum probably. Early on having both is extremely useful but eventually the other is gonna be too weak to be useful and it's not worth putting a ton of points in.

theshim
May 1, 2012

help I have five harbingers

the attack command is my only true friend

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

oh for gently caress's sake

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Nearing the end of the third stratum with Cannon Dragoon| Barrage Pugilist | Omni Warlock | Hawk Rover | Herald Shaman. Currently my shaman is my only source of healing, but I have not touched the Dance Oracle side of his tree at all. Will I eventually need Benevolence and Split Spirits or can Gospel, Appease Spirits, and Heaven's Gift do the trick?

Edit: I have a few points in Animal Therapy too.

Yas fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 2, 2017

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Regy Rusty posted:

Not once you're in the 5th stratum probably. Early on having both is extremely useful but eventually the other is gonna be too weak to be useful and it's not worth putting a ton of points in.

Eh, I'd argue there's value in a single point just for the extra chance that an FOE wastes an attack slapping the bird, since you can pre-summon it before the battle.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Yas posted:

Nearing the end of the third stratum with Cannon Dragoon| Barrage Pugilist | Omni Warlock | Hawk Rover | Herald Shaman. Currently my shaman is my only source of healing, but I have not touched the Dance Oracle side of his tree at all. Will I eventually need Benevolence and Split Spirits or can Gospel, Appease Spirits, and Heaven's Gift do the trick?

I'm running fencer, drag, fencer, drag, herald shaman and have had zero issues with healing. I'm on floor 20, myself. I will say I did put 5 points into the 'heal while walking' skill (I forget it's name) and do a fair bit of my healing outside of battles. I also have the benefit of having a much tankier party than you, so I can't say for certain you won't need more healing later.

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010

Yas posted:

Your current set-up is pretty disable- and offense-heavy, so you should be fine for the third stratum boss assuming you deal with his gimmick properly. Head and Arm binds from the Pugilist, Rover, and/or the Chain Blast Union really shut down most of his really scary abilities, so capitalize on that time to do as much damage as possible.

That said, Split Spirits can make for some pretty impressive healing for a more offense-oriented party. 5 points gets you 50% damage done as healing for 6 TP, which is always a bonus as the TP cost of the prayer skills can really sap your longevity in longer dungeon crawls and mitigates a need to keep spending TP on buffs every fight to get Gospel/Appease Spirits passive healing rolling.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Benevolence is really great, too. It's not a ton of healing, but it basically just takes 20-40 damage off every hit your party takes (any hit that doesn't kill the target, at least) by healing it back immediately. It's great combined with Vitality Prayer and Aegis Prayer for overall defense. It's good stuff.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Trying to turn a shaman into an effective healer is a skill point black hole. Try pairing one up with a deathguard. Atonement covers the healing and the shaman can help ephemeral reap, it's a cute little duo that I find work really well together.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jimmy Hats posted:

Eh, I'd argue there's value in a single point just for the extra chance that an FOE wastes an attack slapping the bird, since you can pre-summon it before the battle.

I mean I had 4 points in the Hound but by the fifth stratum I just stopped bothering summoning it. It died as soon as something sneezed at it and it wasn't worth repeatedly spending 25 TP on it.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

theshim posted:

help I have five harbingers

the attack command is my only true friend

Rangpur posted:

oh for gently caress's sake

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I took a little break from EOV. I think the FOE puzzles just wear on me a little, and there's lots of them. It doesn't help that I'm still figuring out what works well. My chain party seems to be doing well at least. I kinda wanna try a harbringer with something, but I dunno. It's fun reading what others are getting up to.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Aerofallosov posted:

I took a little break from EOV. I think the FOE puzzles just wear on me a little, and there's lots of them. It doesn't help that I'm still figuring out what works well. My chain party seems to be doing well at least. I kinda wanna try a harbringer with something, but I dunno. It's fun reading what others are getting up to.
why just one :unsmigghh:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

theshim posted:

You're a real hero.

I'm eyeballing a Fencer solo run... I wonder if it's possible?

---

In other news, killed 4th stratum boss on the 2nd go. He surprised me the first time by using clear breath 3 times in a row. Cheeky bastard.

Is anyone else having hardware slowdowns on the 5th stratum? I'm on a New3DS XL and getting a bit of lag in open areas with the 3D on. It goes away if I turn the 3D off but what sort of villain would play the game that way? It was messing with my eyes having it turned off.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

theshim posted:

Because I am not on your level. :gonk:

I think part of it is the game's so new, I can't look up good skills and things like I could for IV and stuff.

Also, some FOE puzzles I suck at.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

God the fire squirrels are such a dick move I can't even be angry about it. There doesn't actually seem to be anything of interest in the area though? Except for that one chest I'm not planning to open until I buy volt charms for everyone and the ambush preventing bow for my Shaman.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Rangpur posted:

God the fire squirrels are such a dick move I can't even be angry about it. There doesn't actually seem to be anything of interest in the area though? Except for that one chest I'm not planning to open until I buy volt charms for everyone and the ambush preventing bow for my Shaman.

Not that I found, but I didn't go far because of those squirrels.

I'm still fighting the urge to swap to my chain party or go try and see what a Harbringer do and what works with them.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Rangpur posted:

The squirrels drop good materials

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's a free Ariadne thread in a chest at the end. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The squirrels' conditionals unlock an ultimate armor.

That chest with the thunderbolt of doom has a quest item

And that's about it.

If you solve the tengu puzzle you get some treasure, forgot what it was though.

• Locked thread