Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Here's to another 1000 posts about inputting numbers and getting different numbers output.

Super excited for Untold 2!

Pureauthor posted:

OG Protector 4 life.

Actually I think you'll find that the best character design is
<-- right over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Is Mystery Dungeon gonna have skill point allocation? Because I hate that poo poo and as boring as a lot of Persona Q was at least it got rid of it.

It's kind of the core mechanic of the series so uh no

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Lakbay posted:

I'm excited for EMD, but I think it's a party of 4 max instead of the usual 5. Does anyone know if you control the whole party or just the pointman? Videos of the game make it really unclear.

I think you can switch between 1PC/3AI and 4PC turn based but I'm not certain.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

For as powerful as KoF is, I hope that EOU2's plot focuses more on the actual main character because holy crap while I like Frederica's design she is such a boring character. Also, EOU brought up stuff about the Highlanders early on and to my knowledge it pretty much got dropped and I don't think it was ever brought up again beyond some vague mention later.

Also gruff anime tank is a pretty cool character design.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Rangpur posted:

Yggdroid/Monk gets around the fact that Monks don't have the strength to make good use of the Barehanded skill tree. Take the innate immunity to binds, and combine it with Waking Chakra/Virus Scanner, & you'll also be practically immune to status ailments. The downside is they have neither the TP nor the speed to make effective healers. Neither of those is a dealbreaker if you have another healer, and a Zodiac.

The real problem is that the chaser bots are garbage. Breakfire Fist hits multiple times, but you'll only get one chase out of it. You could put out more than one bot, but then you don't have a 5th actual party member. This part of a larger problem with the chaser skills in EOIII, all of which are equally terrible with the exception of Warrior's Might.

Don't underestimate how crazy people can get when it comes to these games

camcorder warning

Crosspeice posted:

And it shouldn't have taken me so long to realize, but the MC may be a bit overpowered since the 4 other classes are supportive. I don't know of all their skillsets, but it's very interesting that this game starts off with quite a defensive approach. I know everything gets insane later, but this is EO. It always does.

Chloe ends up doing some pretty ridiculous numbers as well. War Magus seems to focus a bit more on the "War" in EOU2.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

The horrible truth of EO3 is that the best armor in the game is worse than accessories.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Should I be putting accessories on everyone, what's the good accessories?

The three amulets you get in the 5th Stratum for Crush/Slash/Pierce are good enough to reduce a specific type down to near-single digits if you have two stacked, so if you know what attacks a boss uses you can almost completely shut down their offenses.

It really only matters once you get to postgame bosses though.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

E: God drat the Jolly Roger rapier does so much damage.

One of the reasons I'm such a huge advocate for Buccaneer is how sequence-breakable it is in terms of equipment. Ace's in the 1st Stratum and Jolly Roger in the 3rd/4th is so ridiculous.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Tyty posted:

You're making me want to grind for the Jolly Roger rapier now. I'm in the 4th stratum but haven't picked up much new gear yet despite hitting all the gather points.

The ghost ship shouldn't be -too- hard if I'm past the guardian, right?

If you have antifire and not-terrible damage you can kill it at almost any point in the game, to be honest. 1st Stratum is pushing it a bit.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Ghost ship was doable on two of the 3 line ups before I even set foot in the 3rd stratum. I got the Jolly Roger when I went back to beat the third one since that was too hard for me earlier (it was the Princess Farmer team because they were utterly useless).

That said, while Jolly Roger is amazing now in the 3rd stratum, I'm not sure it would be worth it for you to grind for it now that you're a full area further along.

The Jolly Roger outclasses like half of the normal drop Rapiers in the 5th Stratum I think

By then you should be able to go for the Guardian conditional that gives you one of the best rapiers in the game anyways.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Ahh it wouldn't be an Etrian Odyssey game without me finding an optional boss that utterly steamrolls me. Golem, Chameleon King, and now Wicked Queen.

I wasn't able to kill Wicked Queen until I beat story mode.

There's another quest that unlocks a boss in the 5th Stratum that you won't be able to beat for quite a while, I honestly find it harder than the trio.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Equipping a dagger could also help with speed.

Also Prevent Order isn't terribly useful until like the 4th Stratum boss and even then I'd say only for Shin.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's almost required for a large chunk of the postgame bosses. It's just not really a thing to invest points into for like the first half of the game.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

If you do solve the puzzle it lets you bypass most of the floor though which is nice.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I tried to figure out how to sneak past the second one that got in my way but I guess I managed to waste one single turn too many. So I just killed him too. Oh well.

Equip the Aegis limit you got from the sea quests. You'll understand, I think.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Honestly if there is a power shift to actual attacks instead of just a flat nerf then I'm perfectly fine with that. I like big numbers and all but setting up for like 3-4 turns in EO3 is pretty painstaking.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also, EO3's postgame is easy compared to EO1 and 2. The random encounters in this one are puppies compared to the first two games.

EO3 doesn't have Allslash/Kienzan, though.

Hurray for trivializing most of the postgame random encounters!

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Rangpur posted:

Only the ones in Gladsheim though, yes? I can see why that would annoying, but it's not a hard area to fully explore.

I think what they meant was that your chest progress gets wiped in NG+ so you can only get the 100% chest icon by getting all the chests in a story mode playthrough.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh god Alraune is in this game oh no

I'm having EOU PTSD flashbacks.

E: She's a bit strong

3rd hardest boss in the game in my opinion.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

SC Bracer posted:

Anyone know how to get to the fourth foothold in EO3? I just made it to the 5th stratum, and I've got every sailing item till that point.

You start from Armoroad and go left then up the left side of the map with the last sail. I think there's a point where you have to go down and up once to stagger the pirate ship so you can get through properly.

Edit: this could be the way to get to not-asia with the Leviathan boss. I don't remember very clearly.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

That gets you to Ugarit. I didn't think you could get there until you got the cannon from the northern continent? E: Actually looking at the map I think you might be right. There are currents in the north ocean that could take you to the foothold. That way might be easier than my route.

Ah yeah it was Ugarit.

Also yeah you don't need the second cannon to get to it. Hell, this is the first time I've heard of a second cannon (I never 100%'d the ocean).

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

The Leviathan quest actually gives you infinite Formaldehydes but better

Lucky Hammer is the final key to unlocking the power that is Buccaneer.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

SC Bracer posted:

That's basically what I meant haha. Lucky Hammer seems broken.

e: wait explain to me how i make my buccaneer a god

The sea dragon FOEs in the 2nd Stratum are super weak and easily killable with Lucky Hammer.

They drop Speed Books.

Pincushion scales very heavily off of AGI. :getin: With the rapier from the 3rd Stratum boss I was breaking 5 digits with charged+buffed Pincushions.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

At least we'll be without Arthur the annoying and Frederica the uninteresting.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Everyman posted:

Good to know. Any other bugged skills out there I should be aware of?

Speed Boost or whatever it's called makes Fan Dance cancel out completely

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I'd put EOU Expert right up there with noncheese EO1 or EO2 without broken classes. It really really hates you.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Honestly, you can replace Dancer with Imperial and it'll probably greatly increase your damage output. Nightseeker gets Swift Edge as their best attack and it hits multiple times which goes well with your links so it can make up for the lack of extra attacks from Dancer. Imperial goes well with Landsknecht and Runemaster because you're probably already opening holes to exploit with elements anyways. Well, if you're going with an Elemental Imperial at least.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

The Trigourd called for allies!

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

What's your N subclass? N/A shouldn't have any problems landing status effects.

Also what level are you?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

It's not so bad! I can usually make my way through B24F without a map now!

...drat it :negative:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I think they respawn after you leave but I'm not sure.

They also respawn once per turn during the boss fight.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

It would be nice if they didn't use the Hexer one though.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

Oh yeah, not sure where her pants went. I thought for a while she was just wearing white pants or something.

I think that's what Yuji's been going for the whole time based on random extra artwork but I try not to think about that

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Whoa, let's not get nuts with the damage here.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Charge Shot or whatever it's called is actually better than Ricochet in pretty much every way for single target elimination. :v:

EOU is less about many hits and more about using weird skills to get big hits to hit many times. Well, the strategies that blow up Expert Core in like 4-5 turns at least.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

You're not allowed to be royalty without weirdass pupils in EO's world I guess

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

It's sort of like a Jenga tower made of Snipers. If one goes down the rest go with them.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

Feel free to ask questions in here. Most of us know EO4 inside out (or at least pretty drat well).

You shouldn't get too stuck though. EO4 is tough but fair. At least you can't paint yourself into a corner with class/skill choices in it. Even EOU is good about that in comparison to the DS trilogy (or at least the first 2).

At least it's easy to grind in EO2. EO1 doesn't really have an "easy" method and that 10 level penalty is crushing in the middle of a playthrough.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

If you're fluent in google translate gobbledygook the sekaiju @wikis are probably the most informed resource for the games.

I'm not sure about Into the Labyrinth's forums but you could also check there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Someone in the EO2 thread I think.

• Locked thread