Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Deakul posted:

Agents of Shield has been loving great since the last half of season 1, this guy should probably go and finish the series.

Yeah, that and stuff like

quote:

demands that you use all of your senses while watching.
tells me that this guy's opinion is useless to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a Daredevil joke.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Barry Convex posted:

Grain of salt: Devin Faraci says he's "hearing very bad buzz on Daredevil." Granted, he's been pretty negative on the show and the rest of the Defenders project for a while, so we'll have to wait until the reviews hit (later this week, I think) to see how much of this is confirmation bias and how much is an accurate summary of critical opinion.

It's a DeKnight show, I'm willing to give it at least four episodes since Spartacus didn't get watchable until the third and didn't get great until the fourth.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Like I said there are plenty of other good runs on the character that I didn't mention that are worth reading. The Nocenti run is fine, the Diggle run between Brubaker and Waid is fine, and the Kevin Smith run is a run that also exists and can be read with your eyes.

It's been something like ten or 15 years since I've read it, but wasn't Smith's run the one with Mysterio as the bad guy? I just remember that being horribly nonsensical. Like Kevin Smith was trying to make the goofy Spiderman villain with the goldfish bowl on his head into some sort of gritty villain.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Smith's major contribution to Daredevil is that he finally killed off Karen Page. Otherwise it is a fairly average story for its time and really is bogged down with a lot of other garbage that was happening in Daredevil at the time.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
OK, so that was the Kevin Smith was the run I was thinking of. Deadpool was being polite. The Kevin Smith run on Daredevil was utter poo poo. I say that as someone who even enjoyed Mallrats, but Kevin Smith cannot write superhero stories worth a drat.

The Kevin Smith run is poo poo. You have been warned.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 1, 2015

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's a DeKnight show, I'm willing to give it at least four episodes since Spartacus didn't get watchable until the third and didn't get great until the fourth.

Pretty much this.

The review mentions that they lead with his origin and they wished it had been mixed in the middle or thereabouts. Uh, that sounds good to me. Lets get that crap out of the way as soon as possible.

Also, loved the Nolan Batman movies but I'm sick of reviewers acting like he invented the 'realistic' superhero and that everyone is now ripping it/him off.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

One thing to note - Netflix outright encourages all of their showrunners to design their show around bingewatching. Individual episodes aren't meant to be satisfying on their own; only taken as a whole are they appreciated. I'm rambling terribly here, but Vox did a good bit on it. http://www.vox.com/2015/3/23/8276029/bloodline-review-netflix

My point is that something like Agent Carter's pilot had to grab me immediately; sell me on the period and the characters and the tone in a whole episode. Daredevil doesn't have that burden, so I kinda expect a slower burn.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Daredevil's showrunner really wants to make a R rated tv series for The Punisher. I don't want to get my hopes up, but it still is exciting to me.

Hey now that Almost Human got canned maybe Karl Urban is looking for work. . . .

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Boru posted:

Daredevil's showrunner really wants to make a R rated tv series for The Punisher. I don't want to get my hopes up, but it still is exciting to me.

Don't get your hopes up. DeKnight is the world's biggest cocktease. See: Incursion.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't blame him, Starz are the ones dragging their feet, he tried to get them onboard for well over a year.

his tweet today cracked me up. Showrunner with no time for dickheads

Steven DeKnight @stevendeknight · 18h
Watch and see. Or go ahead and gently caress off. Either way I'm good. RT @ArsenalPie: I hope Daredevil is more 'early Spartacus' as opposed to the disgrace we got in the later seasons.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 1, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rocksicles posted:

Don't blame him, Starz are the ones dragging their feet, he tried to get them onboard for well over a year.

Watch and see. Or go ahead and gently caress off. Either way I'm good. RT @ArsenalPie: I hope Daredevil is more 'early Spartacus' as opposed to the disgrace we got in the later seasons.

He is great on twitter

Steven DeKnight þ@stevendeknight · Mar 25
No. But I might pick one up. RT @bobkatt013: @stevendeknight @Daredevil Will this costume be in the series? http://imgur.com/IwDrPfv

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Been following him for ages. The love he gets and gives for Spartacus and it's cast is amazing.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rocksicles posted:

I'm without words.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe he's pro-slavery.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

The reviews are pouring in! Here's a positive one from Variety: http://variety.com/2015/tv/reviews/tv-review-marvels-daredevil-1201460066/

E: Spoiler free, it does touch the plot synopsis a little bit.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
More positive reviews, watch out for spoilers.

http://screencrush.com/netflix-daredevil-review/?trackback=tsmclip

http://www.theworkprint.com/marvels-daredevil-review-beautiful-brutal-brilliant/123

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/tv-review-marvels-daredevil---season-1-episode-1-into-the-ring-263

http://nerdbastards.com/2015/04/01/tv-review-give-the-devil-his-due-netflixs-daredevil-series-is-dark-intense-and-mercilessly-good/

Twitter reaction from the News Editor for Variety

Laura Prudom @LauInLA
#Daredevil is ballsy and brutal, but also brimming with humanity. Charlie Cox plays Matt Murdock with such wit, charm & pathos; he's perfect

Laura Prudom @LauInLA
Also, #Daredevil has the absolute best fight scenes on "television," bar none. It's not just cinematic, it's utterly breathtaking.

Laura Prudom @LauInLA
In fact, #Daredevil is so good, it's one of those rare beasts that @blowryontv and I can agree on

lomzus fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 1, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I can't handle all this negative buzz

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Read some reviews of this show, including some minor spoilers.

Can't wait til Mike Murdock shows up.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

mikeraskol posted:

I can't handle all this negative buzz

A lot of critics have yet to weigh in, but while I'm sure there are some people who don't like it, it does seem like that tweet was mainly his confirmation bias talking. Thank god.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Boru posted:

Hey now that Almost Human got canned maybe Karl Urban is looking for work. . . .

And he's probably not gonna be busy with a Dredd sequel since it made so little money!

Oh I just made myself sad :smith:

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

And he's probably not gonna be busy with a Dredd sequel since it made so little money!

:smith::hf::smith: I've watched that movie SO many times. It became "the one" I had to show all my friends, and as such I watched it 6 or so times in a month.

Seriously, it's the perfect action movie. :colbert:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

My dream is that somehow they make a Netflix Judge Dredd series. Urban cant be THAT expensive to hire, he made that robot cop show (which I'm told was actually kind of okay, but dammit the premise was literally Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E from friends) and he apparently would like to do more dredd. Until then I console myself that even if it never gets a sequel, it did get one great movie which did not seem likely after the stallone attempt.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

SiKboy posted:

My dream is that somehow they make a Netflix Judge Dredd series. Urban cant be THAT expensive to hire, he made that robot cop show (which I'm told was actually kind of okay, but dammit the premise was literally Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E from friends) and he apparently would like to do more dredd. Until then I console myself that even if it never gets a sequel, it did get one great movie which did not seem likely after the stallone attempt.

Almost Human was the only cop shop in history where the best part was the two cops bantering in the car on the way to cases. The actual cases themselves were the fairly pedestrian crimes-with-a-sci-fi-twist one would expect, but the chemistry between the two leads was fantastic. Not enough to save the show as it turned out, but still really good. (Also, it didn't help that Fox once again hosed with the broadcast order because Fox.)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jng2058 posted:

Almost Human was the only cop shop in history where the best part was the two cops bantering in the car on the way to cases. The actual cases themselves were the fairly pedestrian crimes-with-a-sci-fi-twist one would expect, but the chemistry between the two leads was fantastic. Not enough to save the show as it turned out, but still really good. (Also, it didn't help that Fox once again hosed with the broadcast order because Fox.)

He also said if Almost Human was cancelled he was done with TV. Too much work for months on end to have it pulled out from underneath you like that

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rocksicles posted:

He also said if Almost Human was cancelled he was done with TV. Too much work for months on end to have it pulled out from underneath you like that

I can see that, though the Netflix TV shows are straddling the line between TV and movies both in the way they're produced and the way they're released all at once.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

There was a terrible april fools article that claimed just this. I was believing it until it said that Stallone was going to play the chief.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
If these shows are huge successes and we get Punisher, Blade and Ghost Rider I would be very happy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

jng2058 posted:

The thing that really killed it wasn't the episode order thing but instead how they advertised the hell out of the premier and then unceremoniously pushed it back by like a month.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Am I the only one pulling for a Moon Knight show? :pervert:

I'd even settle for a few guest appearances.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

jng2058 posted:

The show vastly improves when you watch in the intended order.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Boru posted:

How about ROM? I could use a ROM Spaceknight show

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Boru posted:

I'd love one of these shows for like everybody. I so want a Taskmaster show.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Azhais posted:

How about ROM? I could use a ROM Spaceknight show

Rom's in a weird place legally where literally everything but ROM is owned by Marvel but he himself is owned by Mattel.

It'd be like making a Transformers movie without Optimus Prime, which admittedly is what IDW is doing, but it'd be a hard sell.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Boru posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L58rdhCfDIU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Another really positive review, this one from io9:

http://io9.com/spoiler-free-review-marvel-s-new-daredevil-series-is-b-1695319269

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

lomzus posted:

Laura Prudom @LauInLA
Also, #Daredevil has the absolute best fight scenes on "television," bar none. It's not just cinematic, it's utterly breathtaking.

There's no way this can live up to the episode long fight from Banshee is there? :ohdear:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

mrking posted:

There's no way this can live up to the episode long fight from Banshee is there? :ohdear:

I don't think anything can ever reach Banshee levels, Strike Back and Spartacus are close.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mrking posted:

The showrunner is the guy who created Spartacus, so this'll probably be close

Deakul posted:

I don't think anything can ever reach Banshee levels, Strike Back and Spartacus are close.

The showrunner is the guy who created Spartacus, so this'll probably be close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Hell yeah, really hoping for the best.

Give DeKnight Daredevil season 2, combine the other shows into Heroes for hire, then give DeKnight a co-showrunner on Punisher and maybe add Moon Knight or Cloak and Dagger and that would be a killer "season 2" for the Netflix shows.