Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Yeah looking back at marvel TV, the majority was mediocre to painful.

JJ season one was probably the standout of the Netflix stuff but I was a fan of alias and it sort of did that book justice compared to most adaptations. Second place was d'onofrio stuff on daredevil and a few long take fight scenes, otherwise pretty eh. Punisher season 1 was watchable at times despite dragging the hell out of the season with some pretty pointless subplot stuff. Luke cage season one was also super uneven but had a watchable first half.

That leaves what 12 thirteen hour or so seasons of slog? Yeesh.

Still, having watched stuff like inhumans and
The gifted the marvel TV bar could get much much lower, so silver linings I guess.

Ultimately legion was the most interesting thing they did imo but even that had some ridiculous moments. Literally citizen Kane compared to the rest of it

E: cloak and dagger also had its moments but the leads did all the heavy lifting. Having actual chemistry made that show better then it had any reason to be (let's not get carried away though)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Netflix/Marvel is so weird to me. Season 1 of DD, Punisher, JJ and LC (until Cottonmouth dies) were all pretty solid imo. I didn't hate Iron Fist as much as most goons, but Defenders was a stunning letdown. DD and Punisher are still the only ones I've watched the follow up seasons for, I still haven't watched S2/3 of JJ, S2 of IF or LC or S3 of DD.

Defenders really just broke my ability to give a poo poo somehow.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

zer0spunk posted:

Still, having watched stuff like inhumans

lol I enjoy the fact when folks talk about what the bad bits of Marvel TV were they don't even mention Inhumans for the most part :) I could find scraps of entertainment in all the other Marvel shows, but Inhumans? I think I got one genuine 'hah cool' in the whole thing (where Bolt walks out without paying the commoners for his suit, gets tazed and blows a cop car away)

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

zer0spunk posted:

Yeah looking back at marvel TV, the majority was mediocre to painful.

JJ season one was probably the standout of the Netflix stuff but I was a fan of alias and it sort of did that book justice compared to most adaptations. Second place was d'onofrio stuff on daredevil and a few long take fight scenes, otherwise pretty eh. Punisher season 1 was watchable at times despite dragging the hell out of the season with some pretty pointless subplot stuff. Luke cage season one was also super uneven but had a watchable first half.

I agree. Definitely, the pacing was awful for all of them, even DD S1. Not a single season of any of them needed to be 13 episodes, and I've never heard anyone disagree with that thought. It seems like 8-10 episode seasons have become the norm for streaming shows since, and that would've done wonders for pretty much every one of these.

JJ S1 is the one I recall the most fondly, just because it was the most *about* something of any of them. It'd be so easy to make a female-lead superhero show and fall back onto a sort of lazy empowerment theater (the "she's got help" scene from Endgame), but JJ dove headfirst into trauma and rape culture. It was genuinely about feminist topics, in a challenging and confrontational way. Kilgrave is easily the most menacing villain in a Marvel thing, because of how on point that season was at depicting the disempowerment and violation that his victims felt. It's some top tier stuff...if only they didn't have to spin their wheels for so many episodes in the middle.

Punisher S1 was super impressive to me, on similar grounds. They could've made a shallow exploitation revenge fantasy and left it that. Instead, they made a really sobering story about PTSD. It was great.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I think that's one of the most disappointing things about LC, to me. It's a show with black characters and occasionally comes up to the line of confronting race issues and then backs away before it gets too real.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

A fun fact is that the Marvel jobs were notoriously among the most difficult NYC shows to film in terms of hours (lots of overnights), logistically challenging schedules, and heavily outdoor with NY’s terrible weather in some of the busiest and least controllable neighborhoods in the city. It was very common (in most departments) to start at 4:30 Monday morning and wrap the week on Saturday two hours after sunrise. Union rules make filming more than five days per week prohibitively expensive, but nothing prevents that kind of call time slippage into Fraturdays.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 21, 2020

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Cottonmouth was such a good character. His death might be top 10 disappointing tv moments to me.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Mahershala Ali is way too good of actor to burn on a marvel TV show. Hope he gets a shot in a movie

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Isn't he Blade

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, Ali is the new Blade.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

theflyingexecutive posted:

A fun fact is that the Marvel jobs were notoriously among the most difficult NYC shows to film in terms of hours (lots of overnights), logistically challenging schedules, and heavily outdoor with NY’s terrible weather in some of the busiest and least controllable neighborhoods in the city. It was very common (in most departments) to start at 4:30 Monday morning and wrap the week on Saturday two hours after sunrise. Union rules make filming more than five days per week prohibitively expensive, but nothing prevents that kind of call time slippage into Fraturdays.

Actually shooting these in NY instead of Canada or the LA New York Backlot was one of the few positives.

One of my fav stories comes from dd season 2. My buddy was day playing for 52 on electric side, like most of us he had this notion that union crew = cream of the crop (lol). He's setting one of the twenty million rooftop par cans they used on daredevil and he sees a guy in his 60s and a guy in his 20s. My buddy, who has been actively trying to get his union card or even be able to apply starts up a convo with the old timer.

Guy's been union for decades blah blah, he then asks oh what about the kid next to you. Dude replies oh him? That's my pizza guy, they needed bodies.

My friend said he could feel the moment his soul left his body. That story also made me realize union doesn't mean poo poo, later corroborated by the newly formed "tier 0" :negative:

The other cool thing about marvel Netflix was they'd usually keep the same folks show to show, my friends in hmu on luke all also did iron fist. Those shows employed a lot of people.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Q_res posted:

Netflix/Marvel is so weird to me. Season 1 of DD, Punisher, JJ and LC (until Cottonmouth dies) were all pretty solid imo. I didn't hate Iron Fist as much as most goons, but Defenders was a stunning letdown. DD and Punisher are still the only ones I've watched the follow up seasons for, I still haven't watched S2/3 of JJ, S2 of IF or LC or S3 of DD.

Defenders really just broke my ability to give a poo poo somehow.

The first half of punisher season 2 was alright (and one episode in particular, I think #3, was a solid western movie that you could probably watch standalone) but once they got back to NY I lost interest. Having him deal with an annoying teenage brat sidekick the whole time didn't help any.

Daredevil season 3 was like a greatest hits collection of season 1 and first half of season 2 stuff. A lot of things we liked, but remixed in a way that doesn't quite capture the same magic.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 21, 2020

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I have watched Defenders all the way through twice and I don't remember anything except that it had something to do with The Hand and Sigourney Weaver. I watched the 2nd time because I realized that I couldn't remember anything about the 1st time. It just can't keep my attention at all. I end up poo poo posting here or loving around with a game or something. I still have no idea how the series resolved whatever the conflict was.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
madame gao's smug smile across the various series became a running joke with my friends and i.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm still annoyed they made Madame Gao a member of The Hand.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

I have watched Defenders all the way through twice and I don't remember anything except that it had something to do with The Hand and Sigourney Weaver. I watched the 2nd time because I realized that I couldn't remember anything about the 1st time. It just can't keep my attention at all. I end up poo poo posting here or loving around with a game or something. I still have no idea how the series resolved whatever the conflict was.

Oh, I think you mean Istanbul

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think Defenders is worse than Iron Fist because at least Iron Fist has Ward Meachum.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

Actually shooting these in NY instead of Canada or the LA New York Backlot was one of the few positives.

One of my fav stories comes from dd season 2. My buddy was day playing for 52 on electric side, like most of us he had this notion that union crew = cream of the crop (lol). He's setting one of the twenty million rooftop par cans they used on daredevil and he sees a guy in his 60s and a guy in his 20s. My buddy, who has been actively trying to get his union card or even be able to apply starts up a convo with the old timer.

Guy's been union for decades blah blah, he then asks oh what about the kid next to you. Dude replies oh him? That's my pizza guy, they needed bodies.

My friend said he could feel the moment his soul left his body. That story also made me realize union doesn't mean poo poo, later corroborated by the newly formed "tier 0" :negative:

The other cool thing about marvel Netflix was they'd usually keep the same folks show to show, my friends in hmu on luke all also did iron fist. Those shows employed a lot of people.

I’m definitely not bashing the first job to ever give me film work, they were just notoriously hard, with punishing (heh) hours and locations. Those definitely meant you got better looking shots; watch an episode of Blacklist and all of your baddies of the week are gallivanting and killing in broad daylight but the crew makes it home by 9p every Friday.

As for the 52 stuff, there’s miles of difference between u ion and nonunion crews. DDS2 happened right at the NY film explosion. Chris Christie ended the NJ tax credit and productions were scrambling for everyone with a heartbeat with NY’s very generous one. Sure, Additional Lamp Op #17 may not know much more than how to coil wires, but there’s a very deep bench of talent from the L&O-and-that’s-it days as well as people upgrading from the NM and Louisiana scenes, which ebb and flow.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Another thing I want to pay tribute to is the Getty Oil Terminal, the most scenic industrial backwash ever to exist. They’re tearing down the big stacks and I’m going to miss it. I believe every single Marvel show filmed there (it’s a three minute van from the stages) and you could find spent blanks everywhere from all the gun fights.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Inspector 34 posted:

Sigourney Weaver is in New York, dealing with a unique building with an ancient history, and is trying to find a keymaster to unlock something for her. Only Rick Moranis, Bill Murray, and Dan Akroyd aren't there to make it interesting.

Also, the villains listened to the Doc Terminus song "every little piece" and took it literally.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 23, 2020

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Defenders had the same issue as everything else - Elektra ruins everything she touches. DD season 2 is excellent until the exact moment she shows up and then the show careens off a cliff.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
What was the point of a Black Sky person anyways? In DD season 1 Stick acts like if the kid sees the light of day then it's going to start raining blood and buildings will explode. In that show she just sort of stumbles around like an amnesiac zombie.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

She zombie kicks their rear end for a bit until a building falls on her and mat.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The only iconic scenes from Defenders (as in stick to memory) would have to be everyone cussing at each other in a Chinese restaurant, and some weird roaming camera fight sequence in a cave that mostly stuck to memory for being vaguely interesting.

Sigourney Weaver tried doing her hardass thing, and would have succeeded too if the writing team put any effort forward for her to chew up.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Andrigaar posted:

The only iconic scenes from Defenders (as in stick to memory) would have to be everyone cussing at each other in a Chinese restaurant,

This scene had Stick, so that fits.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Andrigaar posted:

The only iconic scenes from Defenders (as in stick to memory) would have to be everyone cussing at each other in a Chinese restaurant, and some weird roaming camera fight sequence in a cave that mostly stuck to memory for being vaguely interesting.

Sigourney Weaver tried doing her hardass thing, and would have succeeded too if the writing team put any effort forward for her to chew up.

You left out the RTJ fight scene that starts with Danny being dumb and then you eventually get all four of them in by the end of it.

(just the beginning of it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1jWJkRXEj8

It's way better than the final fight and I actually was feeling good about the series after this ep and during the Chinese restaurant stuff that follows...then it got terminally stupid.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Lid posted:

Defenders had the same issue as everything else - Elektra ruins everything she touches. DD season 2 is excellent until the exact moment she shows up and then the show careens off a cliff.

this character will never get any justice in live-action form. ironic cuz "Elektra: Assassin" is right there!

point of no return/femme nikita/long kiss goodnight exists, people can accept the premise..just make this already and double down on the surrealism of legion..the one show that wasn't a chore...

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

All they needed was the ninja turtles to meet DD just like the comics and the whole season would have been saved.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Invalid Validation posted:

All they needed was the ninja turtles to meet DD just like the comics and the whole season would have been saved.

Yeah but then it would probably turn out like the Saban series of ninja turtles where they can't see out of the costumes.

Wait that'd make them get along even more with Matt

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

As Nero Danced posted:

What was the point of a Black Sky person anyways? In DD season 1 Stick acts like if the kid sees the light of day then it's going to start raining blood and buildings will explode. In that show she just sort of stumbles around like an amnesiac zombie.

It's very obvious whatever the initial idea they had for Black Sky it was rewritten to a much dumber and less interesting concept. Kind of like everything about The Hand.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I suspect they didn't have any plan for Black Sky beyond looking for a reason to have Stick want to kill a kid. Making Elektra a Black Sky flowed from there because of course you want an instance of the pro kid murder guy going soft and protecting one kid.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
In DD S2, Stick (I think) states that the danger of the Black Sky is that the Hand will feel so empowered by having her lead them that they will throw themselves into far more daring and dangerous schemes. In Defenders, most of the Hand seems completely indifferent towards her.

Having Elektra become the new leader of the Hand would have been a lot more interesting than just making her a brainwashed assassin.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Lurdiak posted:

It's very obvious whatever the initial idea they had for Black Sky it was rewritten to a much dumber and less interesting concept. Kind of like everything about The Hand.

I liked how DD S1 handled the supernatural magic ninja poo poo. It was inscrutable and mysterious, had an occult Illuminati quality. Then DD S2 went full "inverse ninja law" and all the weight and mystery started to lift. By the time Iron Fist and Defenders happened, the architects of the spooky millennia-old magic ninja cult were revealed to be extremely boring and unambitious. Likewise K'un Lun and the "cities of heaven," which were mysterious and powerful-sounding entities that turn out to be completely irrelevant to anything or anyone.

I'm doubtful that Shang-Chi is going to be much better in these regards. There'll be more money, I guess.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

zer0spunk posted:

this character will never get any justice in live-action form. ironic cuz "Elektra: Assassin" is right there!

point of no return/femme nikita/long kiss goodnight exists, people can accept the premise..just make this already and double down on the surrealism of legion..the one show that wasn't a chore...

Legion had its problems but it really is the best realization of comics in a tv show, imo. The CW's wacky crossovers and constant resetting of canon definitely comes close, but the way Legion presented itself and wasn't afraid to get Weird As gently caress made it one of my favorite bits of media. The only upside to the oversaturation of superhero shows is that we're starting to get weird stuff in the margins like Legion or Doom Patrol, and that wouldn't be a thing if all these marvel shows hadn't come out and kinda sucked but a lot of people watched them anyway.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xealot posted:

I liked how DD S1 handled the supernatural magic ninja poo poo. It was inscrutable and mysterious, had an occult Illuminati quality. Then DD S2 went full "inverse ninja law" and all the weight and mystery started to lift. By the time Iron Fist and Defenders happened, the architects of the spooky millennia-old magic ninja cult were revealed to be extremely boring and unambitious. Likewise K'un Lun and the "cities of heaven," which were mysterious and powerful-sounding entities that turn out to be completely irrelevant to anything or anyone.

I'm doubtful that Shang-Chi is going to be much better in these regards. There'll be more money, I guess.

My guess is there was a behind-the-scenes tug of war between going all-in on the more esoteric/supernatural aspects of those series and keeping them more "grounded" (read: boring) to fit in with the more street-level tone of the other two series, and grounded won.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

As Nero Danced posted:

Black Skies are dangerous because they’re Asians that know martial arts, that’s the thesis of the shows.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Sounds racist, but then again one of my favorite objections to Iron Fist is that he's not asian and therefore shouldn't be good at martial arts

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Too bad they couldn’t find a white guy who can karate AND act.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Invalid Validation posted:

Too bad they couldn’t find a white guy who can karate AND act.

It seemed like he couldn't do either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

aparmenideanmonad posted:

You left out the RTJ fight scene that starts with Danny being dumb and then you eventually get all four of them in by the end of it.

(just the beginning of it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1jWJkRXEj8

It's way better than the final fight and I actually was feeling good about the series after this ep and during the Chinese restaurant stuff that follows...then it got terminally stupid.

God that scene just owns. Even bargain basement Danny Rand pulls it off here, everyone gets a win, that RTJ song is just :discourse: . Why couldn't it have been more of this?