Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

:siren: Netflix Rules Update! :siren:

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours. If you haven't gotten to that episode then don't click on the spoiler. This is just a trial for Daredevil and if it doesn't work we'll just go back to the old way from now on. And now an example post:

So far the show is good. I enjoy this show so far through episode 10. It is a fine television program.

1x10
The thing that happens in this episode certainly happened. And how it tied back into what they were saying in episode 3 was definitely a cool thing. I think the villain that appeared in this episode and did the villainy thing was bad. He should be punched by the Daredevil and have to go to jail.

The 1x10 is just the episode you're up to. You can write all about episode four if you want, but if you let something slip that came out later and you forget and it maybe happened in episode six that's why you still put episode 10 and not episode 4. Get it? Hope it works. And if not sorry!

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Deadpool posted:

:siren: Netflix Rules Update! :siren:

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours. If you haven't gotten to that episode then don't click on the spoiler. This is just a trial for Daredevil and if it doesn't work we'll just go back to the old way from now on. And now an example post:

So far the show is good. I enjoy this show so far through episode 10. It is a fine television program.

1x10
The thing that happens in this episode certainly happened. And how it tied back into what they were saying in episode 3 was definitely a cool thing. I think the villain that appeared in this episode and did the villainy thing was bad. He should be punched by the Daredevil and have to go to jail.

The 1x10 is just the episode you're up to. You can write all about episode four if you want, but if you let something slip that came out later and you forget and it maybe happened in epside six that's why you still put episode 10 and not episode 4. Get it? Hope it works. And if not sorry!

As a spoiler-sensitive whiny baby, I approve.

Do we know if they're going up at 12:00 PST, or was that a guess? Seems odd if we still don't know when they're going up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

12am PST is what time everyone else said. That's why I added it to the thread title. If it's not let me know.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So to clarify, we will only need to spoiler tag things fir the first 72 hours after release?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Correct. After 72 hours no more spoiler tags. That gives everyone the entire weekend. And most people around here blast through a show in a single day somehow. The general feeling in most Netflix threads I've seen is that everyone has completed the shows by the end of the weekend. If you haven't then I'd avoid the thread after that.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Pretty much the only deal with the red costume is the cheeks. Gotta have that downward slant. OBSERVE (spoilery):

http://i.imgur.com/n9SZEV1.png

edit: I am good at obfuscating spoilers, durr

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 10, 2015

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Squiggle posted:

Pretty much the only problem is the cheeks. Gotta have that downward slant.

that tiny change makes it 100x better jesus christ.

i'm taking a half day tomorrow to watch a TV show. don't even care.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool posted:

The general feeling in most Netflix threads I've seen is that everyone has completed the shows by the end of the weekend.

That's really sad.

...I mean I'm definitely going to do that too, but man that's sad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

That's really sad.

This will be the first Netflix show since Arrested Development that I'll actually probably watch in less a than week. Except Kimmy Schmidt, but that was much shorter.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

That's really sad.

Please, it's only ten hours. I've watched more than twice that amount of anime in a single weekend.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Depending on how good the show is, I could see binging it on a weekend... leaking into Monday for maybe an episode or two.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Sadly I work this weekend; I'm still gonna try to watch the whole thing, but I may not have the actual time to do it

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Deadpool posted:

12am PST is what time everyone else said. That's why I added it to the thread title. If it's not let me know.

One of the few times in my life where working 2nd shift is a benefit. I'll get to watch TV before all of you.

:negative:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

This will be the first Netflix show since Arrested Development that I'll actually probably watch in less a than week. Except Kimmy Schmidt, but that was much shorter.

I remember you saying once that you weren't subbed to Netflix so did you sign up because of Daredevil? If a lot of people do that as well, things are looking good for more Marvel on Netflix. I'd be very interested to see how they model sub churn and how it correlates to original programming releases.

Actually, now that I think about it, I guess they don't have to model poo poo. They can straight up see if you sub, binge watch a show, and stay around or not. I really wish every channel had that kind of data.

zoux fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 10, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I remember you saying once that you weren't subbed to Netflix so did you sign up because of Daredevil? If a lot of people do that as well, things are looking good for more Marvel on Netflix. I'd be very interested to see how they model sub churn and how it correlates to original programming releases.

Actually, now that I think about it, I guess they don't have to model poo poo. They can straight up see if you sub, binge watch a show, and stay around or not. I really wish every channel had that kind of data.

I don't keep a subscription to Netflix no. I sign up for a month here and there when there's something exclusive I want to watch. I have no need for it otherwise. Like I signed up for Kimmy Schmidt after the initial good buzz and then let it lapse after that month. I did the same for Daredevil. I probably won't sign up for another month until there's something else I want to see. I mean it's only eight bucks but it's eight bucks wasted if I don't use for anything.

The way I figure it is that I pay 10 bucks for a movie ticket and get maybe two and a half hours out of it. I pay less for a month of Netflix and with this show I'll get somewhere between 10 and 13 hours. Pretty good deal.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 10, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I use the same movie ticket value when buying a video game. Do I get an hour and a half of fun for every :10bux: of game price? If not, the game wasn't worth it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I use the same movie ticket value when buying a video game. Do I get an hour and a half of fun for every :10bux: of game price? If not, the game wasn't worth it.

I have a similar system, but I note that a lot of people just use length rather than "hours of fun". I don't care if your game is 60 hours long for $60. If 59 of those hours are repetitive drudgery, I got ripped off.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deadpool posted:

I don't keep a subscription to Netflix no. I sign up for a month here and there when there's something exclusive I want to watch. I have no need for it otherwise. Like I signed up for Kimmy Schmidt after the initial good buzz and then let it lapse after that month. I did the same for Daredevil. I probably won't sign up for another month until there's something else I want to see. I mean it's only eight bucks but it's eight bucks wasted if I don't use for anything.

The way I figure it is that I pay 10 bucks for a movie ticket and get maybe two and a half hours out of it. I pay less for a month of Netflix and with this show I'll get somewhere between 10 and 13 hours. Pretty good deal.

That sounds remarkably reasonable.

I think I'll do the same to watch this and that kimmy schmidt thing, since I liked 30 Rock and hear it's similar. If I have it for a whole month I'll do some research and see if there are other shows worth watching.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Drifter posted:

That sounds remarkably reasonable.

I think I'll do the same to watch this and that kimmy schmidt thing, since I liked 30 Rock and hear it's similar. If I have it for a whole month I'll do some research and see if there are other shows worth watching.

You can't go wrong with Kimmy Schmidt if you like 30 Rock. Quality varies on Netflix's other original programming.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Squiggle posted:

Pretty much the only deal with the red costume is the cheeks. Gotta have that downward slant. OBSERVE (spoilery):

I don't know, it looks better but doesn't feel as threatening. It's hard to describe, but the mask they use is more pointed and thus more.... confrontational somehow? There's also a sense of continuity in design.

e: same thing with Batman

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 10, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Remember if you're planning on posting as you watch to keep the spoiler policy in mind.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Popcorn made, this poo poo better be updated!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

It's happening!

Episode 1
I CAN'T SEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

1x01
He sure let the devil out all over that guy's loving face.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think it needs to be spoilered, i'm 5 mins in and i'm 500% onboard. This is what arrow wishes it was.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Not even 10 minutes in and I'm :aaaaa:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
1x01

I like how poo poo getting hosed up in The Avengers is why Hell's Kitchen is the grimy, cheap shithole it used to be again

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm 15 minutes in and it's great so far. Gonna try to limit myself to two episodes tonight. Don't know if it'll work.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Inadvertently hilarious episode description from Netflix (1x12):

Daredevil makes a startling discovery about Fisk's financing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also those loving opening credits. Beautiful.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Charlie Cox is an amazingly charming Matt Murdock.

I kinda wanna gently caress him.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This version of Matt Murdock is loving LEGIT!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

I don't think it needs to be spoilered, i'm 5 mins in and i'm 500% onboard. This is what arrow wishes it was.

As much as I love both Arrow and Flash and think they're great it is glaringly obvious going from them or even SHIELD to something like this that there's a pretty big disparity in not only talent but production.

So far this feels like an actual top quality show.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Holy poo poo this is fantastic. It's what I wanted from SHIELD in the first place.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

As much as I love both Arrow and Flash and think they're great it is glaringly obvious going from them or even SHIELD to something like this that there's a pretty big disparity in not only talent but production.

So far this feels like an actual top quality show.

This is a top quality!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Deadpool posted:

... or even SHIELD

Whoa, steady on!!

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

And that's just the intro...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
1x01
Holy gently caress that fight in Karen's apartment was badass. I like how it's longer shots without the shakycam stuff, and it looks like it hurts

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

gon' be tired at work tomorrow. Yessiree.

edit: That first episode was amazing.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

loving HELL

Ep 1
The montage at the end of the first episode has loving sold me on this show, especially the blind drug sweatshop bit. Awesome.