Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's kind of sad that because all of Marvel's movies are doing so well and everything is in a shared universe that means we can't get any tv shows for a lot of the more popular properties. So no Cap tv show, no Iron Man, no Spider-Man and so on. Still, I hope we get stuff beyond street level grim'n'gritty heroes since that seems to be the focus for the first wave of Netflix stuff - Iron Fist possibly the exception. I'd love to see a Runaways tv show. Or Gravity. Or Captain Marvel. Hell, give me a Starjammers tv show. I'm all in favor of lots of tv shows, I just hope they have a bit more variety in tone and genre than the first wave seems to indicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I only said the Starjammers because it was the first cosmic Marvel team to come to mind that wasn't the Guardians. I completely forget the issues regarding rights (hence lamenting no Spiedy tv show too). A Nova tv show or something would be cool too. I just want some cosmic Marvel on my tv essentially. Having something that was about space pirates would just be a bonus.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That trailer is definitely raising my expectations, not just for Daredevil but for Iron-Fist too. If the action is that good in Daredevil, hopefully the action in a show about a character whose super power is rear end-kicking will be even better. I'm really hoping they keep the seven mystical cities and legacy hero stuff that was introduced a few years back, but wouldn't be surprised if they dropped it. Does Iron-Fish have much history or fluff to draw on outside of that stuff?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

e X posted:

As great as that scene [in episode three] is, it would have been nice if we had actually seen something to back this up.

While the scene in 1x03 where the hitman commits suicide by railing spike was kind of fun I was left a little disappointed afterwards that he had spilled the beans and wouldn't rather die than talk like he intimated that Fisk's people aspire to. Having someone say that but no-one actually follow through on it undercuts it, no matter how gory you make the guy's suicide. A suicide that didn't really even serve much of a purpose, because if he thinks Fisk is super clever and going to know he was the one who talked regardless then killing himself isn't going to save anyone he knows, and now there's no one to warn or protect them. On the other hand if he'd left he'd have either been able to start trying to save his folks or just waited to see if anything would come of it.

It's just a scene to be shocking for the sake of shocking really, which robs it of impact. I had much the same problem with all the examples of Fisk buying people off though personally. There were just too many of them, to the point it got kind of stupid and started to make things silly rather than tense or dramatic.

Raserys posted:

Here's the solution to all these problems: A Hercules show.

A Hercules show as the light-hearted, optimistic and silly fun times show a la the Flash to Daredevil's Arrow analogue would be pretty amazing. Him, or She-Hulk, which could make for a really fun episodic comedy show set in the MCU with lots of cameos and lampshading a la some of her better comic runs. And also giving them a female lead show I suppose, since that's probably something they'll want to get on eventually.

WickedHate posted:

She's from K'un L'un, or...Feng-Tu? I'm not really big on Iron Fist lore, but she's otherworldly and her heroin is called Silver Dragon(and has the Silver Dragon symbol), who's an Iron Fist villian. She might not even be human.

Also, ninjas are Japanese, Leland.

Pretty sure Lady Gao is actually [general series spoilers, all episodes - also Iron Fist stuff]Crane Mother, matriach of the mystical city of Ku'n-Zi and that she'll be one of the primary antagonists, if not the primary antagonist of the Iron Fist show. Her champion would be Iron Fist's arch-nemesis, Davos, the Steel Serpent, rather than the Silver Dragon. The fact that the heroin she was selling was called Steel Serpent and had the same symbol as Davos' mystical tattoo would indicate pretty well she's his sponsor, not any of the others.

Not really related, but when Matt started snooping around her factory I thought to myself "if she starts busting out some moves on him I'll nerdgasm". Then she did. So I had to. I started bouncing up and down on my feet a little and clapping my hands like a child with a huge grin on my face. I'm not even that learned on the character, but I'm really looking forward to the Iron Fist show and hoping it'd do the Heavenly Tournament stuff from Brubaker's run, so her confirming it by standing up to Matt, then disappearing quickly and telling Owlsley she's from someplace considerably further away than China made me insanely pleased. And then dismayed when I learned it'll be the last to air and have to wait so long to see it.

Also, maybe not a clue on her identity really, but further proof perhaps - when Fisk asked her what other languages she spoke she answered "all of them", and she was pushing Fisk to adopt, or perhaps re-dedicate to the same detached soldier mentality that Stick was trying to engender in Matt. I was trying to figure out what her stake in things by setting up a heroin shop in New York was, and just realized typing this that maybe she was trying to make Fisk her champion in the same way Stick may have been doing for Matt? If Stick was doing so, I wonder will he replace one of the champions from the comics? Or will they just add another mystical city? Or maybe two, giving the Hand another too?

Regarding Urich, I found it a little weird that, in episode one or two his editor passed on printing a story about company corruption as being something people aren't interested in, because, while it's possible American newspapers are different to those here in Ireland/the UK, those kinds of stories still shift ink because they give people a chance to bitch about how hosed up government/big business is if nothing else. Also, that Urich and his paper in general didn't seem at all interested in stories regarding the Devil in Hell's Kitchen, because there was a short period where he could have been pushing Karen and others for info on that to lead in to the story on Fisk.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

WickedHate posted:

I totally meant to say Steel Serpent. Steel, Silver, Serpent, Dragon, both Iron Fist villians, easy to get mixed up.

Kind of figured that was the case, but pointing it out just in case since there is also a Silver Dragon. Also, forgot to mention that Matt's black mask gives me more hopes for Iron Fist since it works really well visually, and the loose ties behind it along with the brighter color could look real cool assuming they keep it for Iron Fist.

Dogeatdog posted:

I think you're forgetting Agent Carter and Jessica Jones (kind of sad it can't be called Alias, but oh well).

I thought the Agent Carter thing was just a mini rather than a full blown tv show? I was forgetting Jessica Jones though, yea.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Robutt posted:

1x11
No. Karen shot him 5 or 6 times in the chest. She straight up murdered him (with excess) when she could have wounded him or walked out with a gun pointed at him. She sucks and I hate her. Wesley was the best. :qq:

On the other hand, if she had done that he'd have just come and kidnapped or killed her again a few days later and they both know that. He made his intentions pretty explicit. It's preventive self defense really, given what he'd said and that she had every reason to believe he meant it.

Also, she sucks because she murdered a guy. A guy who was himself a stone cold murderer who'd done it far more than she is likely to ever have (even given the hints regarding her past) and with far less emotional turmoil over the act. They were both cool. Two cool folks walked in to a bar though, and only one could walk out. Better it be the one who didn't want to be there than the one who did.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 13, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

XboxPants posted:

11 Didn't Wesley specifically tell her that he hadn't told Fisk yet and he was the only one who knew?

Even if he hadn't, it wouldn't matter. It's better to live, if only for another few hours and warn her friends than to simply accept death at the hands of a murderer and hope it all works out. Sure, killing him might have made things worse, but not killing him certainly wouldn't have made things better.

Robutt posted:

1x11

Bah, I guess I'm just upset about Wesley - looking back at the whole series I do think he was my favourite character. I'm just confused how Karen can be seen as justified or likeable after the brutality of Wesley's murder. I accept that she felt she had no choice in killing him, but emptying his gun into his chest? Not cool, Karen.

She's emotionally distraught and over-reacting out of fear and because she's running on an adrenaline high. It's pretty obvious too. I like Westley as well, but it's not like the show didn't spell all this out.

Valeyard posted:

11 I don't think your good protagonists should be doing stuff the same way as the evil antagonists

Good thing she wasn't then. There's a pretty clear difference between kidnapping someone in their home, and then threatening to kill them and everyone they love over weeks as payback for a minor transgression and killing out of fear and desperation in the heat of the moment.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 13, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Robutt posted:

1x11

I'm probably misremembering but I don't recall Wesley ever showing an excess of force. Sure he's cold and efficient but never lost it like Fisk (or Karen).

I don't know, all I was trying to say is that Karen is a murderer who hasn't admitted to it (even in confidence to Matt or Foggy) and for me at least that wiped away most of the sympathy I had for the character.

She "lost it" (inverted commas very much in effect here), because someone had just kidnapped her and threatened to kill everyone she ever loved before she'd grabbed a gun in desperation. If you're not used to that kind of situation, and we have no reason to believe she is, the rush of adrenaline will cause you to act rather extremely because you're essentially high on the fight or flight adrenaline rush. And while she might not have told anyone it's obviously tearing her up that she killed him given the way she refers to it several times in the following episodes, constantly alluding to how she can't get past what she did. Admitting to killing someone isn't something that you want to just drop on your friends, no matter how good they are. Not even as a case of "what if they turn me in or no longer love me?". Telling them makes them equally culpable for not turning her in should it come out. She's still processing the whole thing herself and kind of has to finish that before she'll be ready to admit it to anyone else most likely.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Apoplexy posted:

Can we all at least agree that 1x11 Wesley's death was a huge loving surprise and awesome moment?

Definitely. I was getting quite sleepy at the time, but that made me sit right up and kept me going for a good while more out of sheer happiness. I half expected it once he put the gun down, but it was still a great moment for her regardless.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Heathen posted:

Why would you not respect an old lady who brought you tons of money? Furthermore if Kingpin meant anything to her why would she, Nobu and Leland talk about him behind his back? They were all using each other for their connections.

The last conversation Gao had with Leland he asked her to ship in more heroin. She declined as she only dealt with heroin because it was convenient for her. Since it was no longer convenient she was going home.

Gao never really spoke badly of him behind his back though. Even when scheming behind his back with Leland, her motive was to get him to rededicate himself to his goals in much the same way Stick was pushing Matt when he appeared and she never spoke about him in any kind of derisive or mocking tone that I can recall. While she did leave once the heroin was gone because that was just a convenience to her, she also left just as Vanessa was recovering and Fisk's plans were spiraling further and further out of control, which may be entirely coincidental but may also indicate why she was ready to cut and leave so easily at that point in time since she no longer had any faith Fisk would recover because there must have been something that she was actually there to do in Hell's Kitchen beyond the heroin at the end of the day.

zoux posted:

Stick's good ninja clan doesn't have any connection to the hidden cities right? At the end of 07 where "Stone" was talking about Matt being ready when the doors open, those were the only doors I could think of.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

But seriously, they could have, at least in the MCU.

Yea, I suspect that the Hand and the Chaste may be replacing two of the Hidden Cities/champions from the Immortal Iron Fist comic, or simply adding on to the number so there's 10 of them instead of 8. Doing so gives more purpose to them and ties them in to something similar very organically where it's kind of odd in the comics that the Hand/Chaste exist entirely outside of those elements (to my knowledge at least) and also ties the Iron Fist/Daredevil characters and stories together really neatly.

e X posted:

Honestly, I thought Foggy's anger was competently understandable, because, unlike other shows, they actually explained why he had such a problem with Matt being a vigilant.

Yea, with the way things were set up Foggy was left trying to reconcile two very different images of his friend in his head and it would come off very odd if he's just gone "Oh, you're that dude I thought was a terrorist...neat!" Him questioning it also felt a lot more thematically appropriate given what the series does regarding guilt. I also just thought it was cool that the show was willing to have an entire episode where Matt and Foggy are arguing in his apartment while Matt recovers, since it showed faith in the characters to stand on their own to me. The fact the flashbacks were so fun helped too.

Hollismason posted:

It's shown that Daredevil jumps out the window into the water to get away, Ninja dude literally get's his legs set on fire then goes after Daredevil again instead of jumping out the loving window into the water.

Can I just say that I absolutely loved that when Nobu was set on fire his first response was "gently caress it, Im'ma get you bitch" and to just run at Matt and keep attacking despite it? Was silly as gently caress, but cool regardless.

BiggerBoat posted:

That's assuming that Fisk would know it was a suicide. The way the guy killed himself made it look like a murder.. Sorry I'm late to the game and only on ep 4.

That's true, hadn't considered that. Still, I find it rather underwhelming and a bad case of "tell, not show" where it'd have worked better if he killed himself instead of giving up the name and Matt had to find it out from someone else next episode or something.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

bobkatt013 posted:

Then you would have had the exact same problem. At that point no one knew who Fisk was and the only people where the ones who were scared of him. You just wanted Daredevil to do what he did in that episode to another guy and have him do the same thing?

No, I wanted someone to actually follow through on the idea of "we'd rather die than say his name", instead of having someone say that but then say his name basically as soon as he was hurt. Yes, it'd have been someone doing the same thing an episode or two later, but at least you'd have had some idea that those goons meant it when they said they'd rather die than do so, instead of just paying lip service to the idea.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Steve Yun posted:

Daredevil finally arrives in the alley way to find a family of five huddled together for warmth, their furniture lazily thrown around them. He was too late to save them! Broken tv, bent lamp post, couch with holes in it. Out on the sidewalk, oblivious to the family's suffering are young 20-somethings laughing and giggling as they walk arm-in-arm, eating frozen yogurt and drinking boba tea, no cares in the world. Daredevil falls to his knees in a puddle, rain coming down on his face. He clenches both fists at the sky and yells GENTRIFICATIONNNNNNNNN

Don't worry, Titus Werewolf was there to save them while Daredevil was off wasting his time with crimelords and ninjas.

Timett posted:

Do comic readers know what's up with Chinese lady and where she might have gone (she said something like 'much further away [than home to China]')?

The way she laid out DD with her funky martial arts move made it pretty obvious to me that she's somebody comic readers would recognize.

Though I thought the same thing about the kid in the shipping crate that Stick killed so I guess everything that feels straight from a comic isn't.

She's more than likely Crane Mother, the matriarch of one of the mystical cities of heaven from the recent Iron-Fist reboot, the Immortal Iron-Fist. There's eight cities each with their own champion, who have been in contest with each other and training champions for centuries. Her champion is the Steel Serpent, which was the name of the heroin she used, and the heroin also had the same brand as the Steel Serpent character has on his chest.

Also, I really, really hope that if the Iron-Fist series is doing the Tournament of Heaven that it also features flashbacks to some of the previous Iron-Fist champions. Some of those stories were cool as gently caress. And the variety in costume design the various champions showed was great too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 13, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm hoping we'll see Fat Cobra in the Iron Fist series. He was a hoot in the comics.

Almost all the champions were great. Bride of Nine Spiders, Amon, even Davos was good. I just love the names they have too. I'm looking forward to seeing Luke and Danny bro'ing it up on screen too. Hopefully they get the fun of that down within both the Luke Cage and Iron-Fist shows.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dexo posted:

Fisk probably grew up Catholic, but didn't he pretty much say during his last speech, that he wasn't religious, but he did remember this one story.

I'm pretty sure he clarifies at one point that neither of his parents were religious. He also notes while talking to Vanessa while she's out in the hospital bed that he's tried praying before but never really felt he got it. He also notes in the SWAT van before his Samaritan speech that he's read passages of the bible over the years, snippets here and there, but I'm pretty sure he adds an addendum that he didn't have one as a child or something.

Matt is Catholic and probably was since childhood, Fisk isn't.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sorvah posted:

I think Jessica Drew will be watchable but I'm expecting Tennant to steal the show and Luke Cage should be good enough with the fella they have playing them. I'll be curious how they differentiate Daredevil and Iron Fist as large parts of Daredevil could easily be an Iron Fist series.

If they're adapting the Immortal Iron Fist stuff then Iron-Fist will be a lot more colorful visually and have a much more fantastic and mystical tone than the down-to-Earth and morally grey/muddiness of Daredevil. It'll be about magical dimensions that connect to Earth every decade and kung-fu champions who can one-punch dragons, infuse guns with qi/chi, heal others magically and poo poo. The kind of kung-fu that Daredevil is doing will be small time compared to Iron-Fist.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wonder will Misty Knight and/or Colleen Wing make it in to either the Luke Cage or Iron-Fist show? They're not entirely necessary to the Immortal Iron-Fist story by any means, but Danny's friends as a gang did play a pretty big part in the whole she-bang and while that could be changed to Luke, Jessica and Hellcat or something, I'm hoping at least Misty Knight makes it in just because (a) afro's are cool and (b) she has a bionic arm and I want to see someone with a bionic arm beating the poo poo out of folks on my tv, especially if it's beside a more mystical ninja man to contrast the two means towards the same objective.

Also, since I'm not familiar with Luke Cage outside of Iron-Fist and some Avengers stuff that's probably close to a decade old at this point, what should I be expecting in terms of tone or story? Is there much there outside the Heroes for Hire stuff to adapt as a solo story even? Has there been something in the last few years comparable to the Immortal Iron-Fist series to make an adaptation from. I know his basic back story and powers, but beyond that and the above appearances I'm really fairly blank on the character.

achillesforever6 posted:

I would like a Runaways series

I want Tina Fey to write a She-Hulk episodic comedy with Hercules as the other major character. Have her work for Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg, & Holliway in some episodes, but not tied to the job and able to go on road trips, time travel and other silly poo poo as desired by the writing team. Want to do a story about the two of them punching nazis in 1940's Marvel WWII? gently caress it, road trip through Germany it is. Hercules and She-Hulk, Agents of SHIELD? Go for it. Hell, have them do a crossover episode with the Guardians of the Galaxy animation, where she defends them before the Tribunal in SPAAAAAAACE, with the entire episode bar the opening minute where she's kidnapped for the trial animated and using it to poke even more fun than usual at it's cast.

Most everyone is looking for gritty or dark series like Blade, Moon Knight, Punisher etc off the back of Daredevil, but while I'm definitely in favor of those I'm hoping there's more fun stuff on the way too. Give me a ROM: Space Knight series (though I think there's some legal debacle surrounding the character), Deadpool (though I imagine he'll get a movie instead if anything), Gravity as a psuedo-Spider-man, Runaways like you suggested and more sunny, light-hearted tv shows too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 14, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hollismason posted:

Scott Glen is amazing and wonderful.

edit: I still can't believe that Marvel has not done a Shang Chi foreign film. Now that would be amazing. With how huge the market is in China it'd be incredibly popular.

Get Steven Chow to write and direct one please and thanks.

Edit: Is the Sam Alexander Nova stuff any good then? I loved a lot of the Cosmic Marvel stuff but haven't read many new comics in 6 or 7 years at this point so I'm kind of out of the loop. I know the Sam character was created by Jeph Loeb though so I kind of avoided any mention of it purely on principle.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 14, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hollismason posted:

That's exactly who I would get.

It's kind of a pity he isn't working on Iron-Fist honestly, since the contacts he has with a lot of the wuxia actors would make him perfect for casting the various members of the mystical cities. Sure it'd mean a lot of subtitle work or translating, but poo poo, Daredevil already had some of that and I'm honestly not bothered if half the show (or more) is in subtitles if it means a lot of the cast have the kind of skill they could bring to the martial arts. As is I've no idea who played Madame Gao or how skilled she actually is, but I don't know if they'll really be able to find all that many folks who can act and do martial arts for the show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What are the chances they could get Jet Li or Jacky Chan to play some of the elders in the series? One of them as Lei Kung the Thunderer would be pretty cool.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

Just go all in and make him English.

Tom Wu is Chinese British - best of both worlds?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't Doris actually encourage Ben to go out and use the internet to spread his story when the Bulletin refused to run it? That doesn't really jive with 'internet bad' at all-the only reason it didn't actually work was because Fisk showed up and murdered him (which arguably wouldn't have happened before he could get the story out if he'd not gone to the Bulletin first where the mole could figure out what happened-I don't think Fisk found out about the visit to the nursing home from his mother).

Yea, Fisk only found out about Ben's visit from his mole in The Bulletin - it's why he had to ask if Ben went there alone. I assume Barry Convex was referring to Ben's attitude regarding internet journalism though, not the show's as a whole. It's just, Ben is essentially the sole view in to journalism so he tends to eclipse any others that pop up occasionally. It's definitely an intentionally crotchety view however, because he's the old and set in his ways avatar of a dying medium.

I would assume that, if there is a second season Karen would take over his role in the story and become the dogged journalist tracking down a story because both Ben and his wife note on multiple occasions that she has the persistence and desire for it, just not the skill as of yet. Plus, making her the younger and more open-minded avatar of internet journalism gives her something to actually do in a second season beyond be Nelson and Murdock's secretary or a love interest for Matt, which wouldn't give her much to do on it's own.

Also, I really hope season two has a bit more focus on the lawyer aspect of Daredevil's character. In thinking about it, I'm pretty sure Foggy and him only appeared in court all of once in the entire season, which is kind of a shame. I don't know that a 13 episode season is really enough to fit in much in the way of courtroom drama though given how much screen time all the other elements need, which is kind of a shame as it could be really interesting if there was more of it and help give the show something more to set it apart from other superhero shows. Not that it really needs setting apart I suppose, I just want more courtroom stuff in the show at the end of the day.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 14, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Aphrodite posted:

They're all old.

Fisk isn't, not any older than Karen at least, but he is someone who doesn't want to believe that criticism can touch him so it makes sense he looks down on it. He looks down on the news full stop, partially because he's bought off any outlets he feels are relevant to him to ensure he's unlikely to be affected but also because he probably believes that print papers are old and dying, television is too focused on glamour (he talks about people being distracted by Hollywood at one point if I recall) and internet news is too young and to him, not credible enough, both because he's not been touched by it or had to buy it off and because he hasn't had any reason to pay attention to it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mikeraskol posted:

Fisk is in his 50s isn't he?

He would have to be actually yea, given his flashback. My bad. I assumed he was a similar age to Matt, who would be a similar age to Karen without thinking about it, just because there's so much similarity between the two.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Aphrodite posted:

She's a former porn star.

Wasn't it just that she shot someone else before Wesley, since I think she even flat out says during that scene that it isn't the first time she's shot someone. Granted, it could be a bluff, but given all the hints about a shady past that would discredit her as a source I figured she was involved in gang stuff and had shot someone before taking that as impetus to get out because it had traumatized her or something.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And now I want Reeves as a villain in Iron Fist. Thanks a lot.

Well he will probably be beating up a training post at some point or other to show off his martial arts and body, so that's kind of close I suppose.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

bobkatt013 posted:

The new Bill and Ted is just a kung fu movie.

After looking that up, they really are making another one. Holy poo poo. No George Carlin though, so it's already looking bleak even if it wasn't a film about two teenage idiots made 25 odd years later than the last film.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sorvah posted:

Makes you wonder who is making the biggest difference, people like Cap protecting the world from threats it never knows about or people like Daredevil who are stopping that kid getting sold to slavers.

Or people like Ben, who are trying to expose the kind of corporate problems that a superhero normally doesn't deal with unless there's a kingpin involved. Which is why I've always wanted to see a Batman story where he actually passes the cape on to one of his proteges and starts taking the business and charity aspect of his character more seriously because he realizes he can do more good for more people as Bruce Wayne than as Batman given that there are lots of folks who can punch good, but not as many socially minded billionaires. Sadly, it's unlikely to happen. Even Nolan's Dark Knight just hosed off to have a wife and kids in the middle of nowhere instead, and that's probably about as good a shot as anyone was likely to get. Batman Beyond's Bruce Wayne probably did it for a decade or two off-screen I suppose.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Worse actually because of all the supervillains.

Someday there'll be a mental health professional who'll go to Arkham and not be insane or driven insane by the experience of working with disturbed patients. Or a state that will legislate execution for repeat offense super-villains and just given them a cyanide jab when they go to jail instead of a good night's sleep and a place to plan their next move. Or just some concerned citizens calling for such measures because they're tired of losing their homes to random attacks every few months. And someday the Avengers/FF might start advocating for mutant rights in an active manner by holding rallies and making tv appearances and poo poo, rather than just taking on some mutants occasionally and calling it a day.

Really, their worlds are pretty loving lovely places to be living.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Ballz posted:

Except for the part he donated his mansion to the orphanage. Almost all of his money was taken by creditors.

One orphanage doesn't really make much of a difference in the end, and I was talking as much about the authorial decision as the character one. Whoever wrote it decided to have Bruce leave his money and it's responsibility to Alfred rather than doing anything with it himself. And Alfred is probably too old to do much in the way of serious work, at least for long anyways.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sorvah posted:

Reminds me of a question asked by a random EMTin..again, civil war I think. They were at Stamford and they were taling about when it becomes Spidermans fault that the Green Goblin kills people because he keeps sending them to prison, they keep breaking out and seeking revenge, then he sends them back to the prison they just broke out of etc

It's never Spider-man's fault, no more than it's a cops fault that a serial killer escapes jail to kill again. Spider-man is essentially just a civil servant going out and catching the guy who did it. If it's anyone's fault it's the fault of the people for not asking for better measures or appealing for the death penalty to deal with those people on a permanent basis, same as with any killer. Spider-man might be a vigilante, but that doesn't mean he is or should be an executioner. It's not up to him to decide what to do with Green Goblin or whoever when he stops him, it's up to the system. And the system fails every time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BrianWilly posted:

Does this count as a spoiler? Jessica and Luke Cage on set.

If her series is supposed to air before his, does it mean he's already powered up a this point, or maybe she knew him before, or...either way I'm pretty hyped for this.

Maybe he's just wearing a helmet because it's still the law and if he didn't wear one he'd inevitably be pulled over by some cop who doesn't know him for not wearing one. Better to just put it on and ride in peace frankly. Also, I was watching Brooklyn 99 last night and I'm kind of sad that Terry Crews didn't get cast as Luke. I've never seen Mike Colter in anything to pass judgement on the guy, but he just doesn't have quite the same physical presence as Terry and that seems to be handy in a guy with superhuman strength and durability.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BrianWilly posted:

Tony: "Hey why didn't you call me during the Hydra takeover"
Steve: "...Because we're not actually friends?"

There.

You realize that makes Steve look like a total tool right? And also doesn't explain why he'd even be in the Avengers if he needed to be friends with all of them to agree to save the world beside them. Not that he didn't appear to be becoming friends with Tony by the end of Avengers regardless.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I love the little disbelieving glance Wesley gives down and then back up after the first bullet hits.

dj_clawson posted:

I was a fan of whenever the comic touched on this - which was rarely, and only if the writer was interested in blind culture - and it was one of the few things that stood out about the movie. Like how does Matt pick his suits? (they're labeled by color) How does Matt use money? (They're folded differently) They had a blind guy on set as an advisor, talking about how stuff in the movie was written after stories he told to the crew. He talks in the making of doc, which is funny unto itself because you see what a disaster it becomes as it goes along in development because the director was so incredibly bad at his job and they hoped they could fix it all in post, and they couldn't.

I haven't seen the movie since it came out and don't believe I've ever seen the director's cut. Is it worth tracking down a cheap copy to listen to this for the tidbits on how they integrated blind stuff in to the character and stories about how hosed up the film was? I'll probably try and do so regardless, because I don't recall particularly hating the theatrical cut, just finding it mediocre and the director's cut is decent according to most.

dj_clawson posted:

No it's real. Printed braille is disappearing because of computers, actually.
http://www.baum.de/cms/en/pronto40/

There's an SA gold thread where a blind goon answers questions about this sort of thing. He blew our minds when he told us his computer had no monitor.

Huh, just went looking one of them up on Youtube to try and get more of a sense of how they work and this honestly looks pretty useful. The demonstrator is wearing it on her hip while she walks around early in the video and it looks like it might be possible to use it while on the move, even if only a bit awkwardly if you were moving around a lot.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Unmature posted:

Claremont's stuff from the 70's is great.

While I've no idea of the quality, he does have another series out right now it could potentially crib from I suppose. Between the mask and the inclusion of minor mystical and ninja elements they seem to have been testing the waters for Iron-Fist pretty heavily with Daredevil, maybe to see how much they could get away with. I am wondering if the mask he wears the majority of the series is meant to deliberately evoke Iron-Fist not just as a nod to him, but to try and tie the two characters together more strongly if they're going to work the Hand/Chaste in to the Heavenly Cities stuff as Stone talking about the doors opening would suggest.

Kurtofan posted:

Foggy I want you to touch my face

I kind of felt bad for Foggy in that scene, even before the building next door exploded. On a date with a really hot, fun girl and she's obviously thinking about your best friend while he tries to make the best of it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

While there was mention of the director being interested in blind culture and asking questions of the consultant, there's nothing in any of the 6 parts of that that I can see regarding folding money or organizing clothes or what not. Since I'm not seeing anything on Youtube after a quick search either any chance you remember what the extra was called?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Steve Yun posted:

Where is this? I tried digging through goldmines and couldn't find a blind ask/tell

I went looking for it myself earlier, and while I'm only a few pages in there's some cool stuff there.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Oasx posted:

You are much more likely to fear Daredevil than some vigilante in a black mask.

While that might be true in a "criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot" comic book sense, I don't think it's true in general. I'd imagine I'd be more scared of a guy dressed head to toe in simple black clothes and with bandage wrapped hands who is referred to in a mythological way as "the devil in hell's kitchen" than of someone dressed in a gaudy, if practical outfit called Daredevil. The former name feels less real and in some way scarier because there's no name as such - just a description, like he's still a rumor I guess. Once that rumor solidifies it becomes less scary. I cannot verify this having never experienced both in a vacuum apart from each other, but it's my feeling regardless.

And while intellectually I can recognize that the increased body armor is of course a better idea and even makes him more threatening when thought about, it's just not as frightening in an immediate sense - especially visually. Losing the bandages on the hands takes away as much as losing the black I think, because those bandages have a really simple, practical threat to them that anyone can immediately understand that a pair of gloves just doesn't do as well.

I don't mind the show changing those elements and giving him the suit I suppose, I just don't agree that it works as well in real life as it does in comics. While they're both visual mediums, they're still different and I don't think the red works as well on television as it does in a comic book. I can buy red being cool and threatening in a comic book almost regardless of tone, but it doesn't carry over 100% to television for the same reason I wouldn't expect adaptations of a live action final fantasy movie to give it's protagonist's several hundred belts. It works in the games, but it doesn't on film. Or in cosplay - though some people have made great efforts.

Saying that it's not a comic book show if it doesn't have those elements or I don't want a comic book show if I don't like those elements in this format is just being dogmatic. I love those things in something like Flash that revels in them, here it just feels slightly weird given the tone the show generally strikes. Context is important after all.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 16, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

I think the suit looked great in motion, but static it's a little awkward.

And jesus, the people saying 'make it not red and lose the horns' would fuckin' love it if they'd ditched the ears and cape in The Dark Knight, then? Just had Christian Bale in hockey pads and a balaclava?

Depends on how it looks, but I'm open to the idea. Why not? Batman isn't defined by his suit and neither is Daredevil. It's iconic and a fairly big part of it sure, but not essential to me and I'm curious to see what could be done with the characters if creators didn't feel beholden to include every single element every single time. Change is good after all, and frankly comics could do with a bit more change being encouraged. Or do you think Daredevil should still be running around in a yellow body stocking with a red leotard over it? If that change was okay because people felt it didn't work in the medium, why is another not if some people feel the comic design doesn't carry over that well?

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 16, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

Also, please change thread title to Netflix Marvel: Daredevil, Avocado At Law

EDIT:^^^ Then yeah, you don't want a comic book show. Which is fine, but you should probably not watch one and torture yourself with how much more you'd enjoy it if it wasn't what it is.

Oh gently caress off. I enjoy comic book shows just fine, this one included. Flash is great tv most of the time, I enjoyed the first two seasons of Arrow. Just because I have different criteria than you doesn't mean I suddenly magically don't enjoy them. Him wearing a suit I don't like isn't going to kill my enjoyment of the show, just like him wearing one I do like isn't going to guarantee my enjoyment of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

That was a combination of Welling's neuroses, and the producers for the first 7-8 years being terrified of the source material's 'silly' parts.

And I very much disagree that the contrast of the Catholic lawyer and the vigilante in devil horns isn't as iconic as the bat. One of the most enduring images from the comics and the Affleck film is Daredevil draped over a cross. Doesn't work as well if he's a dude in a black bandana.

Plus, the entire point of the subplot with the priest is to justify the look of the suit, in the same way that him being cut to poo poo constantly justifies the armour.

The entire point of the subplot is to justify Matt's vigilante actions, suit included, not to justify the suit specifically and you're deluded if you think that's true. And while the image of him draped over a cross works best if he's in a devil suit, it doesn't really matter if the image never shows up. Why can't the show be free to define it's own iconic moments or aspects instead of having to ape the comics' ones, even if only in spirit? Even if you team wanted to include that image, then whoever sticks him on the cross can add some horns and/or red paint for extra humiliation based on his nickname. Job done.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 16, 2015