Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Actually, what codename is she going by now, given that there's a teenager running around as Ms. Marvel last I heard? And doing well critically and commercially from what I gather. Will they make her Ms. Marvel again around that time I wonder, call the movie Binary or whatever, or just not care about the difference in name? I hope that film goes well, I liked the run she had a few years back when I was still buying comics and think she's a fun character in general, though I wish she was used more for cosmic stuff.

In thinking about it, I don't know that there's really all that much that's iconic about her character either, since her outfit has changed fairly radically over the years, as has her name, as has her place within the comics universe, both physically and socially. I guess it'll be about an air force pilot who gets superpowers from an alien army of some kind, but beyond that they could make her terrestrial or cosmic, have her be the strongest character in the MCU or generic strong woman below Thor's level, a militant feminist or a more archetypal military woman etc. and it'd all be true to the character's history. That's pretty cool to think about as I writer I would imagine, since it gives you a lot of freedom to make the character your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Abner Assington posted:

... Batman isn't defined by his suit? Are you on drugs?

No, I'm just pretty sure his origin story regarding shot parents and obsession, his true personality being Batman while Bruce Wayne is a front, his obsession with training, solving crime and catching bad guys dominating his life to the exclusion of a real personal life, fun or family until it's forced on him, his rogues gallery, Gotham, Arkham etc are all pretty important aspects of the character too. Even the Brave and the Bold, the most fun take on the character in about 50 years at this point kept every part of that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Musluk posted:

^^^ dressing up as a bat is in there somewhere chief, can't just say nah that's not a thing ^^^

Good thing that's not what I said then. I never denied it's also a part of what defines him, only that it wasn't the only thing that defined him, and put forward the view that I would be open to creators picking and choosing from that list of elements what they feel is suitable for the story they want to tell and the medium they're telling it in to make the product they want to make. Not only might it help give comics the shake they desperately need, but it would make it easier for new iconic elements to develop for future creators to pick and choose from, instead of keeping the list of what is and isn't iconic basically static in perpetuity.

Characters always having to stand by the full list of things that define them is why Spiderman sold his pregnant wife to the devil in order to save a woman who would not only be disgusted by the knowledge he had done so, but would, in real time probably die within a few years anyways.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 16, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Musluk posted:

Feels more like you're disappointed with the comics in general, by the way.

Thank god I have you to interpret my statements and tell me how I really feel then I suppose. No, I'm not disappointed in comics. Some are great, some are poo poo. Same as anything. I don't read them anymore, but that's got nothing to do with costumes, silliness or adherence to icons and more to do with cost versus actual enjoyment. I could afford to start buying them again now, I just haven't bothered because I've been finding the various comic adaptations through games, cartoons, film and tv really enjoyable so paying for them just doesn't seem worth it when the comics are generally much the same thing. I think the suits work in some shows (Flash, Arrow), I don't think they work in others. I think some comic elements transfer seamlessly to screen adaptations and others work case by case. Consequently I'm open to seeing them or other elements be ditched in some shows if the creator wants and it fits the tone.

Please, do be sure to tell me how this means I hate comics or comic adaptations once more though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

grapecritic posted:

Oh my god did he just decapitate a guy with a car door

Now go back and watch that scene, but turn on the audio descriptions for the blind - then close your eyes and let the magic happen.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Richard Gere's best role was as himself in "Make Love The Bruce Campbell Way", and he didn't even voice himself in the audio book. That's not even a knock on him honestly, since I've barely ever seen him in anything so I've no real opinion on him, it's just a really fun book made better when it's read by Bruce Campbell.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

greatn posted:

No, it isn't. On a conspiracy board the king card is pinned to the top though, representing him. Maybe he'll get the name in prison.

I like that Matt's card on that is a black jack - a jack with a black mask drawn on it. Though perhaps a Jester/Joker would have suited his position in the whole thing more.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Stick and Matt beat up multiple ninjas when trying to stop Black Sky though didn't they? Matt did most of it on his own even. Nobu really gave Matt a run for his money, but he was probably reasonably high on the skill/authority ladder within the Hand and not every Hand member is going to be on his level.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Wolpertinger posted:

Those seemed more like just low-level gangsters working for the Hand instead of genuine Hand ninjas.

Possibly, but Wilson only promised to keep attention away from the docks, he didn't supply any men to protect Black Sky or anything going by the argument he and Nobu have following Stick's killing of the kid. The inference is he brought his own people in on the ship to protect the crate. I don't know if that's boldly stated anywhere in the show, but if there's a ship coming over from Asia to America with a valuable package on it, why would they not have some of their own men on the ship to protect it?

All the guys on the docks with Nobu in that scene are Asian heavies dressed the same as he normally dresses, and including how he's dressed in that scene. I suppose Nobu may have hired some Yakuza himself or something to help protect it, but if the delivery was that important, why not use Hand ninjas instead? It just seems to make more sense that even the Hand have low rent guys that aren't as well trained or equipped as the higher echelons, both because it gives a reason for them to have expendable mooks when they become a larger presence in things later on and because it just makes sense logically that not everyone is going to be of the same caliber within the organization.

An interesting thing I realized after skimming the episode though is that when Matt asks Stick why he's in Hell's Kitchen, Stick replies that it's because of the "never-ending war", and that it's "for now, the Japanese, mostly". On it's own that doesn't really mean anything, but Stick referring to a never-ending war with a group that are mostly Japanese at the moment but has other possible foes could be taken as him talking about the conflict between the various cities of heaven. Especially with Stone talking about doors opening later in the episode. I'm probably just seeing what I want to see though, because I'm really hoping the Chaste/Hand are folded in to that whole mythos within the MCU, since it just makes sense to do so given their similarity in terms of how they operate, their look and so on.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 26, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't really enjoy Bullseye as a guy who can throw a toothpick through a window from a few hundred yards away and kill someone. (That was Kevin Smith's writing, I think.)

I love that interpretation of him personally, since it makes him a lot more threatening in a world full of heroes who can benchpress mountains and throw punches from the punch dimension through their eyes. In the comics it's a perfect fit. In something like this though yea, that'd be out of place and he's more like to just be a really, really good sniper who also is good with throwing knives or something.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

surc posted:

Yeah, this show suffers from TV-foam-weapon syndrome, but they did better than a lot of shows do, they do have claire there as a "what the gently caress is wrong with you" voice (I think she specifically calls out the fact that yeah he didn't kill a dude, but basically only technically and guy's in a coma or whatever), although she justifies what he's doing more the longer she's around him.

I don't know, Claire comes across as someone who was only a small step away from all that anyways. She tells him exactly where to torture the guy without prompting after being in Matt's presence for only a few minutes. That doesn't really speak to someone reluctant to partake in all his crazy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Snak posted:

I actually liked it. There's a trend in modern ninja things, like Mortal Kombat and Ninja Gaiden for ninja's outfits to made of a ridiculous number of custom shaped pieces to look cool. Nobu's looked like it was mostly made of cloth and mostly functional.

GI Joe is one of the few things I can think of off-hand that has done a modern ninja well in my opinion. It's really refreshing to see a modern ninja actually utilizing modern arms, equipment and ideas as well as older stuff.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They were pretty silly, but I enjoyed them as mindless action films. I just liked that the two ninjas in them used guns and modern armor frequently, rather than relying solely on swords and ancient Japanese skills. Their big fights mostly came down to those elements, but at least they made good use of other stuff.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BottledBodhisvata posted:

God I love comic books. Literally every possible storyline has been done, regardless of how stupid it is.

Ms. Marvel possibly has the absolute topper. She got knocked up by her dimension hopping/time-traveling son, gave birth to him and then had this absurdity explained, including that he had messed with her memories and made her pregnant without her consent before she suddenly decides to go with him to his home dimension to get married and live happily ever after. I have no idea how someone plans that out and thinks "yes, this, this is a good idea."

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 5, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Stugazi posted:

Early episodes DD was super agile bad rear end with pre cognitive fighting and still took a beating. It was good action and believable edge of your seat stuff. Last couple episodes he got hit by a fat rear end kingpin, an old lady and roughed up by street punks. That was disappointing/lame.

The old lady was more than likely the head of a clan of mystical ninja from another dimension and could probably kick the rear end of both Stick and Matt at the same time even on their best day without breaking a sweat. Even if you're just talking about the visual image, devoid of any in-universe context she just gave him a slap when he wasn't really expecting it and then disappeared. It's not exactly the end of the world given that it happened in the span of seconds and was far from the linchpin of even the scene it takes place in, never mind the episode. The fat rear end kingpin had also been built up pretty well by watching him no-sell and then beat a Russian mobster to death among other things. He was hardly a lightweight in the punch department. The world's strongest men contenders are almost always rather tubby looking fuckers too, so it's hardly unrealistic that Fisk could be hiding a lot of strength under that suit and doughy image.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hobo Clown posted:

I guess I'm just not sure what whatever transformation occurred is supposed to change about how he operates, since it sounds like it was already pretty brutal.

I would imagine it's less about how he operates and more about what his goals are and how he goes about pursuing them. In the first season he was under the illusion that what he really wanted to do was reform Hell's Kitchen and make it something beautiful under a guise of benevolence, even to himself. He shattered that illusion though and what he really wanted was to burn Hell's Kitchen to the ground because he didn't feel anyone there deserved happiness or good things. He'll be pursuing criminal interests for their own purpose, rather than under a veil of good will most likely.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BiggerBoat posted:

What are everyone's thoughts about crossing this Netflix style stuff into the Avengers, Downey style, Thor universe? Me? I'd rather they'd keep it separate and mostly ignore the outer space/cosmic things.

As in, no sci-fi cosmic Netflix show? If so, then I'm going to have to disagree. Iron-Fist is the currently scheduled show I'm most looking forward too and hoping that goes full on mystical ninja, seven dimensional cities silliness and if I can get a cosmic Netflix show then I'm even more on board for that, because I love me some sci-fi comics stuff. Mind you, I don't really care about whether they're interconnected or not. I'd assume they're all in the same universe so long as Netflix/Marvel are making them, but that doesn't mean they have to mix the shows and have cameos between Daredevil and the Guardians cartoon, which I'm assuming Netflix will be producing or Starjammers or whatever.

Snak posted:

Which actually reminds me, with Steel Serpent (complete with logo) being a brand of heroin in the MNU (can we call it this?), does this mean there will be no "real" Davos/Steel Serpent in the Iron Fist series? I mean, they could just fudge it and be like, yeah, Crane Mother was distributing Davos's heroin because she adopted him, and he put his logo on it because he has no shame, and people called it Steel Serpent because it has Davos's logo on it. But it's also possible they aren't going to do Davos, and they want to use just Crane Mother since they've already kind of set her up as a villain. I don't really see Hydra making an appearance, since they are kind of Agents of SHIELD's thing (or so I hear, haven't watched past the 4th episode of that poo poo). Anyone have wild speculation on what they might do for Iron Fist?

The Steel Serpent isn't Davos, so much as Davos is a Steel Serpent. It's just the name of K'un-zi's champion. I would assume Crane Mother used the name as a personal joke or whatever in-uiverse. Alternately, she used the name because Davos isn't in the picture yet, she was looking for a champion and the heroin was her method to do so. Out of show it's obviously it's just a nod to Iron-Fist to get some anticipation built. And I have no doubt that Iron-Fist is going to use Davos, because Davos is his biggest rogue as far as I know. It'd be like questioning whether there'd be a Spider-man show without Green Goblin or whatever. He's also one of the big parts of the Brubaker/Fraction Immortal Iron-Fist run, which Crane Mother was also introduced in, so if she's in, he almost certainly is just based on that alone.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Snak posted:

Do you think Defenders will feature a new villain, or will it be a villain teamup as well as a hero teamup?

The general assumption is that The Defenders will be facing off against The Hand, with Stick, Stone and the child that Stick killed in Daredevil being the start of a setup to that. If so, then presumably each series will have one episode centered around that plot with The Hand, building up the threat.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Burning_Monk posted:

One of the fun things in the 2099 comics was the Thorites, which were just that, a gang of Thor inspired zealots.

It also happened in the Ultimate Universe as well. Ultimate Thor was an environmental warrior who was cult worshipped as a Norse God, while most of the world viewed him as a nutcase with delusions of Godhood. The first volume played up the "is he really sane or not" angle quite well, only really answering the question in the final issues.

dj_clawson posted:

I wouldn't really care of it's magic or not. I would just care if it WORKS. "Oh, okay, this hammer can definitively tell who is worthy of ruling Asgard. I gotta give it a try. Oops. Well, no Asgard for me. Can we have one of these for the US? Can Odin make another? It doesn't have to be a hammer. It could be a club or whatever."

The US one would be a handgun that fires nuclear bullets painted with the stars and stripes but is only usable by the President because democracy.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 11, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dj_clawson posted:

Imagine how much easier our elections would be. Granted it would take some time to find candidates who were qualified to run, but once we were over that hurdle we would get a really great President.

No, no - I meant that being President is the criteria that allows you to use it, not being able to use it is the criteria to become President. Hence why I mentioned democracy being the thing that decided who used it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dj_clawson posted:

Or whatever, Loki's just really good at running poo poo. He's intelligent and a good schemer, so he could probably keep the peace and manage a kingdom without breaking a sweat. Certainly almost anyone could do it better than Odin did.

He's also extremely arrogant and self-centered, so is more likely to abuse a position of power, either deliberately or through callous misuse for self-indulgence. There's roughly zero chance he'll be shown to be a beneficent ruler of Asgard, even if he's shown to be good at scheming to get the throne.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

wormil posted:

A characters value to the story is not dependant on how interesting they are.

It's also not dependent on whether they live or die at the end. Wesley's role in the story was to be Fisk's first and only true friend, but one who was kind of bad for him despite his intentions because he enabled Fisk's worst tendencies by insulating him from the world where Vanessa, his replacement in the story, pushes him to come out in to the light and become a better person. Well, a stronger and more confident and social one anyways. He was there to give the audience insight in to Fisk, indirectly, by showing the kind of man that would give his loyalty to him and that Fisk was on some level a good, human person because he had an actual friend who cared deeply for him and not just underlings. He was there to be the stooge for the season, so that Fisk didn't have to do the dirty work or mingle with the mooks - he had an underling who did that street level poo poo for him. There had to be some intermediary in the show between Fisk and the street, and he was it. He was probably filling other roles too, but those at the least anyways.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Nah, that'd be diluting the show by adding lots of other people who just exist to be get beaten up. Having characters who go nowhere like that is just terrible writing. The show should obviously have been 10 straight hours of Daredevil shadow-boxing, only interrupted by his training breaks where we get insight in to his deep character by watching him pick his nose, scratch his balls and in one particularly intriguing and controversial sequence, take some vitamins with his water.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Maybe it'll refer to his dialogue as well, and he'll speak in very purple prose. I imagine he gets his name from just being "that man in purple: the purple man" though, yea.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm presuming they're doing that simply because Netflix doesn't release viewing figures for their shows since they calculate them in-house and don't need to publicize them or put them through a third party of any kind, so that's as close to viewing figures as sites can get. The fact it has a higher quality ranking than some well loved shows is about the only kind of story they can make out of it, so they are.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kheldarn posted:

You just had to do it, didn't you? You knew what would happen. This is all on you.

The dirt on her chest looked like chest hair out of the corner of my eye. Why not add some for maximum horror?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

zoux posted:

Which comic is that and apparently he has a giant neck tattoo

Looking forward to seeing Punisher Dog introduced to continuity. I feel he'll bring a lot of pathos and gritty realism to Marvel's TV universe and enhance Frank's character immensely.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They're making an Ant-man film, I assume at least partially because he was one of the founding creators of the Avengers, and while talking to ants is kind of a silly power dude can still shrink and presumably at some point, grow, which is visually dynamic/cool and can make for some good action scenes. Talking to ants is no more silly at the end of the day though than your team's heavy hitter being a dude who can turn in to the jolly green giant on steroids with an anger management problem.

And personally, I wish it was Hank Pym who was the main character and not Scott Lang. I have a soft spot for his Science Adventurer days though, and hate that the Janet slap is essentially what he's most famous for these days when other heroes have done far worse over the years. Including more famous ones. I'd like to see a version of him that just ignored that poo poo and concentrated on him as a manic scientist who likes to go around having adventurers and doing oddball poo poo for it's own sake. I suppose that's kind of Tony Stark, but Tony is more of a business man and reluctant hero looking to the bigger picture than a guy designing gear that allows him to miniaturize anything and then going off to the middle of nowhere to see what he can do with it for the fun of it and screw the money.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

Hank Pym wasn't just a human garbage fire because of the slap though. The huge bulk of his career has been spent being a human garbage fire. His science adventurer days were far eclipsed by him being a human garbage fire.

That's true of a lot of characters though. I mean, even keeping it to the thread relevant Netflix stuff Luke Cage and Danny Rand have had a pretty awful history until the last decade or so by all accounts. If you go wider though, Mister Fantastic was a boring character for a good chunk of the history of the Fantastic 4, many of the X-Men have rarely ever had good stuff for them, even lead characters like Cyclops and so on. Carol Danvers has rarely ever had anything good in her 40 odd years of comics and she's headlining her own film, as the premier female Marvel stand-alone heroine no less.

You don't judge a character based on the bad, because most, if not all of them have had some awful, awful dreck littering their history - you judge them based on their potential and the good that does exist. And Hank Pym has had some cool stuff over the years. Not much, but some. He discovered and harnessed a new form of physics for all intents, utilizing it to help the world. He has an interesting character, because he has some psychological issues that can be taken advantage of, between his inferiority complex and the physical personification of that in Yellowjacket along with his rather manic love of science and adventure.

Scott Lang's a fun character, but there's no reason he has to be Ant-man because his character works based on the fact he's a rogue done good, not because of the powers he uses or anything like that. You could make a Scott Lang film using almost anything in Marvel. You could only really make a Hank Pym film using Ant-man or Goliath, which is just reverse Ant-man. And how many other characters exist where the character could conceivably be the villain in a part of his own trilogy/franchise while a secondary character like Janet becomes the heroine in said entry?

If the groundwork had been laid right Hank could have been the hero of Ant-man, become the villain Yellowjacket in Ant-man II while Janet becomes the hero and had both as equal partners in the third Ant-man or something.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 7, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Edgar Wright didn't sign on for 3 years after production started on the movie - though production in this case is basically just the company going "we want to make one". The rights were bought up and announced years before the MCU was even a real thing but was about the time those movies were starting to become in vogue in general as far as I can tell, so he was presumably just taken because he's one of the founding Avengers, the rights probably didn't cost too much compared to others and not because Edgar Wright anything.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

While this is true in general, it's really true of Hank Pym. The dude didn't just have One Bad Story. He went down the slap train to Ultrontown and on a long trip down West Coast Avengers Lane before a brief stopover in Skrulltown. Dude worked HARD to be a fuckup.

Which is only really a matter of degree, making him at most the low point of a long line of other characters and not any kind of exception. And honestly, if we're going to talk low points, Carol Danvers has a strong contender for the single worst story in Marvel history and then spent years as a voice in Rogue's head once she was brought back from that low point before finally actually getting to be a B-list Avenger member. It's only in the last maybe 10 years that she's gotten to be a big name character. She could have easily become just another Z-list heroine no-one remembers for most of her publication history. Several writers put in some care and thought to her though, and she eventually began to shine. Which I think can happen with any character.

I mean, if we're talking bad stories, Spider-man possibly has the most of any Marvel character. Clone Saga, One More Day, Sins Past, Maximum Carnage, The Other, Spider-verse and you could probably go on at length more than for any other Marvel character. And some of them aren't even that old. Having bad stories never hurt his character too much. It's probably because he was liked well before any of those came out, where Hank was mostly just dull and there for much of his history. And then get infamous for something silly, which writers continually revisit to try and make him relevant or something. Still, there's some cool stuff lurking there I'd like to see more of personally despite all the bad is all I'm really saying.

Aphrodite posted:

Ant-Man's rights were originally sold most likely because he was cheap, but that deal fell apart and has nothing to do with the current production except that it's where Wright became involved.

The current Ant-Man production is 100% Marvel, so they're neither concerned with him being cheap, or being a founding Avenger since in the MCU he isn't. They decided to hire Wright because they liked the work he had already done. So were it not for his script, the movie would have gone into limbo like Morbius, Longshot and Power Pack.

It's got nothing to do with it beyond being the reasons that it exist in the first place. Which has something to do with it. And probably happened because he was the cheapest of the founding/headlining Avengers to buy.

And while we'll never really be able to settle this in reality since we can't just straight up ask Feige or someone in a position to answer, I still find it highly unlikely that Marvel Studios wasn't hoping to push out an Ant-Man movie before or around the fist Avengers film given that he was the only founding Avenger's member without a film or public recognition. They couldn't as it happens, but I personally don't think that doesn't mean they weren't trying at some point. As is, it's known that Feige spoke to Wright in 2006 asking him to make an Ant-man movie for the first slate of movies to be put out. It's not definitive proof he would have been in the Avengers had it actually come out in a remotely expeditious manner, but it's pretty suggestive. Wright even says that they considered having a flashback to a 60's Hank Pym using the Ant-man gear before the story settled in to a contemporary setting for the rest of the film.

Rarity posted:

People in this thread not showing enough respect to Earth's Scientist Supreme :colbert:

God that was dumb

I'd be alright with Scientist Supreme if it was just Hank deciding to make it his own title because he thought it sounded cool (it does) or as a statement of intent towards Reed and other scientists who've given him stick over the years. I know it isn't that, but it could have been a fun bit of characterization on his part to have him trying to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy and/or some more delusions of grandeur.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 7, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's a pity the few well known thief characters in Marvel are all under Sony control as part of the X-Men and Spider-man contracts, because reading up on Ant-man has enamored me to the idea of a Marvel movie that isn't a superhero film, but instead a film following some thieves pulling a heist, Ocean's 11/Italian Job style, on a known Marvel character, where the heroic figure only appears for a few minutes total at best. Black Cat or Gambit leading a team or z-list comic thieves on a heist to steal from Tony Stark or SHIELD could be cool as hell. I suppose they could do it on the Fantastic Four instead, but Sony don't seem to have quite the touch with films that Marvel has at the moment. Not to say they're perfect, but they're at least always entertaining action films.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is there any actual Luke Cage comics? I know he's been in Heroes for Hire stuff and been leading his own Avengers team for a while, but has he had any solo stuff in the last decade to go with his new prominence?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
As much as people are clamoring for a Punisher or Moon-Knight show in phase two of the Netflix deal, I would absolutely love to see a She-Hulk one instead. It'd add a nice bit of levity to contrast Punisher or Moon-Knight and she already has a good setup for an episodic show given her job as a lawyer, specializing in meta-human cases once she becomes more comfortable with her powers. Bringing in Hercules as a comedic foil would just be the icing on the cake.

A good Fantastic Four replacement team doesn't need two super-strong folks though, so either she or Cage should be swapped out for someone. I'd recommend Amadeus Cho, but the thought of a child actor in a regular show is not a good idea. No idea who else would be a good replacement for "intelligent person" off hand though. On the other hand, they could just do a Runaways tv show or something instead.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

PerniciousKnid posted:

Season 3, Daredevil vs She-Hulk: 13 episodes of them in court, arguing about legal procedure.

Season 4 is her adventuring in space, but every episode just focusing on a legal case she happens to fall in to along the way, culminating in the biggest case of her life against the Living Tribunal just so she can go around in season 5 calling herself a Space Lawyer.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Soonmot posted:

Actually happened already

Oh I know, that's why I was suggesting it. I was tempted to add in that bit about one of the cases resting on a witness testimony about her having the biggest bust in the universe. I wonder would a She-Hulk tv show break the fourth wall often? And what would happen if she met Deadpool in that case?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sir Potato posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that the purple in the trailers and title for Jessica Jones is kinda similar to the red for Daredevil, and I hope this is a trend throughout all the shows: yellow for Luke Cage and Green for Iron Fist. And then for Defenders they mash all the colors up for like a really gross brown.

I'm certainly assuming that that's the plan. Each of them will also presumably have a specific place to stand in the moving posters they make in that same street in Hell's Kitchen with the Avengers Tower in the background, with all 4 of them standing together for the one they make for Defenders.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mover posted:

Yeah, Fraction/Brubaker/Aja on Iron Fist is one of my favorite stories and it would own if they just adapted the seven capital cities of heaven straight up, but there's definitely some tonal whiplash involved in going from a dark, intimate examination of ptsd and trauma in JJ and the line between good and evil in DD right into 1930s pulp Mortal Kombat except with superhero wizards in Shangri-La.

It's not diving straight in though, because Luke Cage is coming in between those two shows and is almost certainly not going to be as dark as Jessica Jones. And while Daredevil might have been about the line between good and evil, it was also a show that included straight up ninjas and mysticism on top of it's superheroics.

Snak posted:

I know it's not super-popular with Iron Fist fans, but the most recent Iron Fist run "Living Weapon" was pretty grimdark. They might draw from that stylistically and Immortal Iron Fist story-wise. Living Weapon fits the tone that we have for DareDevil perfectly.

I hope not. I enjoyed the poo poo out of Daredevil and will quite probably enjoy the poo poo out of Jessica Jones too, but I don't want all the Netflix Marvel shows to be the same in tone and atmosphere. I want comedy shows and stuff with more humor and color in them as well as those dark and gritty ones. I want a The Flash to Daredevil's The Arrow. poo poo, I want a straight up sitcom using superhero characters, from either company. I want space operas and police procedurals and all kinds of wacky poo poo set in these universes, not a string of almost identikit shows using a different set of characters.

Not that Jessica Jones looks like it's going to be that compared to Daredevil, but I don't want Luke Cage, Iron Fist or any other shows that follow them to feel they have to ape those shows to achieve maximum success either at the same time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm not sure how you can look at the history of Luke Cage and Danny Rand and think that they're not light-hearted characters. Sure, Danny's books bear similarity to Mortal Kombat, but it's often missing a lot of the gore, or at least the focus on it. Even then, Mortal Kombat might have a lot of death, but it's not exactly serious and it's tone is, at least in my passing familiarity with the franchise mostly geared more towards black comedy. Goofy black comedy at that.

Sure, there might be some Iron-Fist that is closer in tone to Daredevil, but that doesn't mean it'll necessarily go with that angle and I really hope it doesn't. Iron-Fist is the series I've been looking forward to most since this whole shebang was announced and I was looking forward to it primarily to see something more akin to Immortal Iron-Fist than to Living Weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

howe_sam posted:

You're in luck, DC and Marvel are both developing sitcoms, with remarkably similar premises.

Seriously? Which ones? I've been hoping for a Plastic-man sitcom for a few months now.