Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LORD OF BUTT posted:

e: Also, fairly sure Mrs. Urich has Alzheimer's.

They really do not say but its end of life stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

Will we ever come to a point where a super hero movie/show can be done realistically/gritty without saying they are just ripping off Nolan?

What makes it even better is that they are both using Frank Miller material.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The best thing is how Kingpin has always been like this. You can gently caress with his business, but god help you if you gently caress with Vanessa. She has actually been the cause of him going into self imposed exile a couple of times. They also point out that he often looks the fool, as no one will suspect him. He is cold calculating and if you gently caress with him then all bets are off.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shageletic posted:

She's always played an ambigious figure in the comics, like a more sympathetic Carmelo Soprano (is that too much)? Hope the eventual season 2 (which HAS to happen) covers that ground. Daredevil never really sure where she stands.

She also is a contender for Mother of the Year!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Snak posted:

The whole Marvel Netflix/MCU franchise is going to get me buying comics again like a huge nerd. Thank god I only read Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and not a bunch of mainstream stuff...

There is a connection

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

That's odd, I wonder what's behind that. I was kind of hoping that we'd see Ulrich across all five series as he has ties to street level stories but nope!

I assume since you think that he is safe and has plot armor.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Stumpus posted:

For someone who reads absolutely no comic material, the death of Urich was something that made complete sense to me, and would have felt odd otherwise. There was no significance attached to him beyond an over the hill motivator for the blonde girl (I still don't know her name and I watched every episode recently, LOL!!!!!!!!). The only reason I knew he had some other significance was because of this thread.

As far as Fisk, I thought he was a super interesting villain, and having him end up in jail felt anti-climactic for the grittiness of the show up until that point. I realize that he's "The Kingpin", but I feel like he should've died. I just don't buy him as a long term villain as his character is too polarizing. I found myself sympathizing with him and wanted him to simply be free of his tortured existence. Instead, I have to sit with the knowledge that they'll keep bringing him out and having him do things ineffectually.

Oh do not worry Fisk will return and he will be effectual

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

For one thing she's best friends with Jessica Drew and Carol Danvers, and I don't think either of those characters are gonna be in the show.

They have Patty Walker in it instead.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Snak posted:

~$70 is a little steep...

What about Iron Fist? He sounds like a big departure from what current TV/Movie Marvel feels like. Is there recommended reading for Iron Fist?

Immortal Iron Fist by Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction with artist by David Aja

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

surc posted:

*Why was it retarded? let me restate the part of my post you did not quote in clearer ways:The kingpin killing him while he has a history of being one of the few reporters who doesn't drag family members through the mud in his stories (See: that conversation with the mobster in the scene we're introduced to Urich in) which the kingpin is probably aware of considering how much else he has on Urich is loving retarded and hurts both characters. Why would the kingpin expect him to do anything that would compromise his mom when he has a history of doing exactly the opposite? Killing him off also means that they are messing with a bunch of potential plot-arcs from the comic that Ben Urich plays important roles in (Alias/Jessica Jones as well). They can write around it, but it's just loving retarded shock-value/raising the stakes, which is kind of a classic way for the "kill off the token black character" to go.

Yeah but Fisk was never shown to be rational when it comes to people he thinks can hurt his family/girlfriend. He does not care that Ben is not writing about his family, he visited her when he worked so hard to hide her. They were also told that he was going to die, so it did not matter what race he was he was going to die no matter what. They killed him to show that characters you think are safe are not. Who knows what they plan to do with Karen, but they did give one of his defining attributes to Foggy. Remember Foggy did not figure it out until around issue 350, Ben knew in the 100s.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Then when it comes to organized crime killing him would cause a power vacuum and someone worse could take power.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

That's what she wants you to think.

No he's not. He's saying "not only did they make the character a different race than in the comics, but they also killed him, which is also different from the comics.

Killing Ben sucked. Not because he was black but because he's awesome and a great piece of the Daredevil narrative in the comics. Without him, it's harder to explore a lot of really cool elements of some of the more classic Daredevil stories and I wish they'd kept him around. It would have been better to have the Kingpin off his wife or one of his kids or something. In the comics, Ben is a pretty important character. His race has nothing to with anything really.

In fact, one of the biggest changes they made in the series is that Ben has always been a chain smoker and Matt can always smell him.

They can always bring in Sally Floyd! She can ask Matt when the last time he went to Nascar and watched a YouTube clip!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

All the stuff with Ben Urich made me wonder how they could do JJ for Spiderman believably, given that in this decade New Yorkers would post thousands of pictures of Spiderman on the internet every day, taken with cellphone cameras.

They had Peter working in IT in the Ultimate Universe.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

^^ I doubt it. They might have him in jail pulling the strings as they mentioned Elektra and Bullseye for season 2

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is all I want out of season 2

That would be like season 5 or 6. Season 2 Elektra, 3 Born again 4 Bendis run 5 Bru run 6 Waids.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Snak posted:

Well yeah, I was just using a general term for escaping justice in general, because it's hard to know what direction they are going to go yet.

He is the Kingpin of crime. He is going to get someone to take the blame for it as he is just an innocent man who was trying to save the neighborhood.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Snak posted:

Maybe he'll pin it all on Wesley.

Or Leland Owlsley

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

NutritiousSnack posted:

Going to say while I like Waid's run, it isn't actually "great". He just broke the trend and livened things up with a lighter take, giving some breathing room before we go back to Grim and Dark stuff. Can't really remember a great storyline. TV wise it wouldn't fit themes and mood of the show, which is fine for a comic book run or film series...is really, really bad for a tv series.

There is the whole poo poo with Bullseye

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

I just hope that killing Ben was enough for them to let Karen live instead, because it'll be irritating to have a great female character around that's just a ticking time bomb till she gets fridged.

Oh do not worry she still gets to Sell Matt's identity for some heroin. then the fridging.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

I've looked up some Daredevil villains and found one called Typhoid Mary, from her wikipedia page:

Well she has three personalities. One is nice, the other sort of crazy, and the third is holy gently caress batshit insne.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if they have plans for Karen besides that. The fact that it looked like they were about to fridge Vanessa, only to juke into Wesley getting gunned down by Karen, tells me they see a little more potential in the female characters than most comic book writers.

Frank Miller has a very special view of women.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Danny can be serious when the time calls for it, but he's a fun character most of the time and does joke around quite a bit. Especially when around Luke Cage.

Its still crazy to think that Luke Cage is going to be involved in the next three series plus Defenders.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

edit: also this show is amazing and if it doesn't get a second season, and just gets absorbed into the MCU I'll be bummed.

How can it absorbed into something its already part of?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Daredevil is basically The Wire if McNulty was a ninja.

The suspect is most likely a white male in his late twenties to late thirties, who is a college graduate, but feels superior to those with the ability to see, and is likely employed in a bureaucratic entity, possibly civil or public service. He has a problem with authority and a deep-seated resentment for those that have impeded his progress professionally. The sexual nature of the killings is thought to be a secondary motivation and the lack of DNA or saliva in the bite marks suggests possible postmortem staging. He may be struggling with lasting relationships and potentially a high functioning alcoholic with alcohol being used as a trigger in the crimes. The suspect’s apparent resentment of the homeless may indicate a previous personal relationship with a homeless person or the targeting may simply be an opportunity for the killer to assert his superiority and intellectual prowess."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Snak posted:

I know this one. He's killing homeless people and draining their blood because someone he cared about got an infection during a blood transfusion because of tainted blood.

The only person he cared for that this happened to was infected not by a homeless person but her cousin. (He still banged her and it was after the transfusion)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Snak posted:

I was actually describing the pilot of Forever Knight

Oh I was talking about a way to bring in She Hulk.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Xealot posted:

In some alternative reality, Michael K. Williams is Luke Cage.

He already was in Hulk.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

surc posted:

Your avatar made me realize that the real question now becomes: How long do we have to wait after these shows are wildly successful to get the Hawkeye show we all wish we deserved?

When the last issue is released.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Snak posted:

Haha what? I don't know who that character is, but Stick was talking to him about Black Sky, right? I'm thinking he's a little more on the mystical-ninja-warlord side of things than what we think of as organized crime.

It is Stone. He is higher up than Stick in their little ninja group.

I was joking about how the last issue has been delayed so so much. There is already another Hawkeye series running and the old one has not ended yet.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 24, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Snak posted:

I've heard that in this thread, but I don't know who that is. I generally avoid going on a wiki-rampage about character's i'm not familiar with in new adaptations. That way if they don't do anything really inventive, I still get to learn about the character naturally from the story. Wiki open season on characters I know, like Kingpin.

The way that he is on the show and the comics is he is Stick's higher up in their little group.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

dj_clawson posted:

The comics are actually down to his granddaughter now. She was a recent villian in Matt's San Francisco adventures.

Right now she is his ally

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

dj_clawson posted:

Wasn't she the one who blinded over half of San Francisco? To be fair I read that graphic novel REALLY fast when I was in Barnes and Noble today.

That was in the future. Currently Matt is helping her save him, and since he is Matt Murdoch his life has gone to hell and he is asking help from the Kingpin.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Burning_Monk posted:

Not in the last comic I read, he just decided to nix the costume and go with a flamboyant red business suit and now is lawyer'ing it up as Daredevil [Esq.]

Read this weeks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Daredevil is blind Jack Bauer.

I think the actual daredevil costume ended up being dumb looking. I liked the mask more.

Jack Bauer already has a superhero costume

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I was kind of expecting this to be one of those "blown out of proportion" things but, uh...nope. Nope it's just some weird-rear end poo poo, straight up. I can't even parse this logically, so I can only assume that this was a time in the Marvel offices where everybody was high on loving something. Cocaine, maybe. Or printer ink. It's both rapacious, incestuous, and seemingly pointless. Why even? To what end does this serve, to have Ms. Marvel leave the Avengers? Surely she could have just, I dunno, broken a leg or something?

It was the editor in chief at the time who wrote it, who was writing comics since he was 14 years old. This storyline was so bad that a writer created a character named Rogue and during a fight between the two, Carol had everything about her erased. The plot was so bad that the only way to save her was to start her from zero.
The Karen poo poo was just Kevin Smith trying to doing his version of Born Again but making it all edgy. It was a bad storyline and the only reason that its not ignored is due to the fact its Kevin Smith and later writers used some elements and created better stories.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Luke Cage is the reason why Nicolas Coppola chose the name Cage

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

dj_clawson posted:

It has stretched them creatively, and Waid's done a great job with it, but sooner or later they're going to need a reset.

Its been out there for 14 years and its still going strong.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Man Without Fear from the mid-90s already feels like a parody of his earlier stuff (no adaptation will ever have young Matt accidentally kill a prostitute). I also really don't like Romita Jr.'s art.

It turns out that she did not die and was infact Typhoid Mary!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I agree. Urich's character is central to DD and I'm wondering how they'll go about replacing him. Killing him was a huge mis-step because, for one thing, the writers have missed out on the "Ben discovers Matt is DD" storyline. He was great character. If they needed to kill someone for the sake of drama, they could have Wilson off his wife in the hospital or something like that. Then Ben throws himself even further into the story, newly motivated, discovers Matt is DD, etc. and finds himself in danger.

They have Foggy for that, as Ben knew a long time before Foggy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

True, but if you've read the comics you know that Urich is the first one to discover that Matt is DD, has the story, could make a lot of money with it and then decides to sit on it. It creates a lot of dramatic tension and moral ambiguity that the think the writers will miss out on by killing off Ben. Foggy is RIGHT THERE in Matt's world and is with him all the time. Ben is (was) an investigative journalist operating through the looking glass with what's becoming an outdated sense of journalistic integrity.

I don't really see Foggy filling Ben's role. You can use him for that but not in the same way. For one thing he already KNOWS about Matt/DD. For another, he's not going be tempted with having to sell Matt's story and find himself caught up like Ben did (remember, Ben died).

They might use that cop friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

We already have that character arc in House of Cards and it ended the same for both characters.