Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Valeyard posted:

I liked her up until she shot Wesley, it has taken the wind out of the sails. And Foggy seems to be getting on fine without her anyway

1 x 11 Hilariously or not so Hilariously, which goes back to my " Wilson Fisk is Corruption made manifest" . Wesley dies BECAUSE of Wilson, that's Wilson calling him I'm pretty sure. Answering the phone to Wilson calling is so second nature that Wesley doesn't hestitate and that is why Karen is able to shoot him. Wilson causes the death of Wesley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Robutt posted:

1x11
No. Karen shot him 5 or 6 times in the chest. She straight up murdered him (with excess) when she could have wounded him or walked out with a gun pointed at him. She sucks and I hate her. Wesley was the best. :qq:

1x11 She was dead regardless because Wesley knew that she had visited Wilson's mother, she wasn't really given a choice. If she hadn't killed him then he'd have basically have corrupted her as well

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

1 x 11 That's what I loved about the episode. I mean don't get me wrong, I loved Wesley's Character, but I also really like Karen, so that just sucked.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

e1 x 13 Karen Discussion Karen straight up tells his wife she cause Bens death which was a interesting scene, she is also pivotal to bringing down Wilson, and what's hilarious is it's not some made up skill. She worked in a Accountants office as his secretary, so the way she figures it out is actually in line with her background. It's also heavily implied that she had a messed up past and got through it.

To me Karen is the most interesting, because he is the pivot on what everyone else revolves around. She's actively going out and trying to bring down Wilson Fisk. She doesn't have ninja training either.

Karen actually almost plays the role of Wilson in the show, everyone else moves around and because of her in a way.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I thought the 72 hour thing was a good deal. I enjoyed not having it spoiled and still being able to talk about things.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I do like that they don't beat you over the head with it , but it is pretty straight on that Matt is Catholic, although he may not be a " practicing" Catholic it's obviously part of who he is which I thought was a really cool part of the character.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think that's what actually makes me like the character more, for whatever reason. I find Matt's Catholicism believable, and a driving force for his character.

Like take Captain America's origin. We're given no real reason why Steve Rogers is a good person. Like was he born good, who did he idealize. The story starts as a scrappy guy who never gives up. So was he born with a indomitable spirit? It's just basically through years of being beaten on Steve Rogers is a good person.

Matt clearly has a influence on who he idealized, who raised him, etc..

It's more believable that Matt would be a hero than some others.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

1 x 13 Costume is actually pretty interesting when you look at where the black is and it specifically designed to take a bullet. I like the costume. It's probably one of the better looking ones and it's based on a previous Daredevil costume as well

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

XboxPants posted:

general costume You know, I did start noticing eventually that he was wearing something more like underarmor, but I thought I was just picking up on a detail I missed before. But I bet you're right; his old poo poo was constantly getting sliced up, so he would have thrown away his first shirts. That'll be something to look for on the rewatch.

General Costume I'm pretty sure his costume change goes , regular black shirt - Black Shirt with Red stripes along the arms then Daredevil costume.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 13, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I actually really loved the Flashbacks to Foggy and Matt in college and the episode where it's just Matt and Foggy after Foggy finds out. I thought that was more believable. I mean no ones going to be " Okay great you have been lying to me all of our friendship ".

Also, I wanna rewatch the first dinner date again with Fisk and Vanessa, but I'm pretty sure she orders Zuppo? Not sure the same desert his mother gave him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well actually if they keep with the normal Iron Fist Danny Rand thing, Danny Rand owns a lot of property in New York city and I'm pretty sure real estate is his main income.

I was and still am upset about the Ben Urich stuff but can see why they did what they did to show that their doing their own thing .

Leland Owsley has a son named Lee ( pretty sure he said his son's name was lee) and he could be the Owl when he comes back to New York.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if in the next month and before AKA Jessica Jones they announce a season 2 . Every body is going nuts over the show and claiming it the best thing since sliced bread so it'd be crazy if they didn't.

They still haven't actually said "we're making Daredevil season 2"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I think it explored the aspect of heroism beyond what other films have and actually brought a strong moral center to the show. Cause you can definitively say why Daredevil doesn't just go and kill Fisk.

They actually stated it was the intent that mattered. Also, Ninja dude could have saved himself possibly.

It's shown that Daredevil jumps out the window into the water to get away, Ninja dude literally get's his legs set on fire then goes after Daredevil again instead of jumping out the loving window into the water.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, I thought that was the point of him offing himself like that.

Whatever reason this link doesn't work for me.

Although I realllllly hope they don't go the date rapist route for Purple man.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah actually there's a actual Marvel Knights mini-series that is just that. Daredevil and uh some other guys hunting down The Punisher.

The Punisher would be a excellent antagonist and would be really interesting to see some different interaction between Fisk and Daredevil. The Punisher going after The Kingpin and Daredevil trying to stop Fisk from being killed would be pretty drat good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Is it me or did they mention 53rd and 10th as the location for multiple things, going back through and I swear I've seen them say this more than once for more than one location.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

This is what 53rd and 10th looks like:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...f749e67!6m1!1e1

Did Jack Kirby live in Hell's Kitchen when he wrote this character? Because every time they said something like "I have to protect my city - Hell's Kitchen!" my roommate and I about died laughing. It's like ten blocks! Aim low, Fisk. Aim low.

Yeah , I thought Hell's Kitchen was rather small as well. Anyway I think they mention ..and 10th so much.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think the conversation with Potter when he gave him the suit was kind of funny " Make me a suit out of this material , I don't like getting cut with blades" , " I made this suit uh some of it's bullet proof and it might stop a blade".

Like what was the point of that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, Stick was pretty amazing and needs more love, favourite Episode probably.

Also, loving Foggy " Wait you were trained by a blind man that's the plot of Kung Fu".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

zoux posted:

I get why some people might not have liked the way they portrayed Kingpin, but it's about the most interesting take on a comic book bad guy that I've seen.

How many times were y'all sure they were about to say "kingpin" and then they never did.

Another thing I liked about the show is that they never really held your hand. Like, in the flashback episode where Bill Fisk sits Kingpin Jr down in front of that wall, you go, ooohh that's why he really liked that painting in episode 4 and hung it on his wall. A lesser show would've had some throwaway expository speech to Vanessa or Wesley spelling it out.

There's also a counterpoint to that with Matt , where it is suggested to him by stick to try Meditation and where Matt tries to meditate and fails. Like Matt even mentions he meditates to heal quicker.

Fisk practices meditation but not for the reason Matt is doing it, his meditation drives him. Matt's meditation relaxes him.

Like Matt and Fisk basically have the same father.

Here's just some points

Matts father - Gives Matt a drink of Whiskey
Wilsons Father - Gives him a drink of beer
Matts Father - Goal is to be a prize winning fighter and that's his ticket out.
Wilsons Father - Goal is to be a politician and that's his ticket out
Matt's Father - " Always get back up"
Wilsons Father - " Don't Stop Kicking them when their down"
Matt's Father - " Focus on my voice"
Wilsons Father - " Stair at this wall and imagine who you want to be"
Matt - Goes to a Orphanage to be raised by others
Wilson - Goes to a Farm to be raised by others
Matt- Mother is Absent
Wilson - Mother is there but absent in spirit?

Sure there is more. Oh here's one Matt and Fisk probably went to the same school. They're both in Hell's Kitchen so Matt and Fisk probably went to the same school.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 13, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Black Sky is a vessel for The Beast the Daemon that The Hand clan of Ninjas work for.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

He can't see colours but they did non chalantly throw in his sense of touch is so good he can feel and read print. I did like him using the assisted Keyboard and system. I thought that was cool.

Overall as a Disability Advocate and someone who worked with the blind for a while, he actually got some of the nuance to the character down and wasn't like crazy head waving around talking acting. Just something that annoys me and he didn't do.

Like every time you see a actor who plays a blind person they tilt their head and a large majority of people who were previously blind don't do this at all. People who are born blind generally have some other congenital diseases and disabilities so they'll have a different gait or they'll tilt their head back some what.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 13, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It would be really terrible if they didn't because previous to Fraction Iron Fist was not that interesting of a character , and Fraction really turned the whole character around and added a shitload of Mythology.

I really hope we get Alias Luke Cage and not Brian Azzerello Luke Cage.

Also, Jeph Loeb is apparently a writer or at least had input on this, but how the gently caress that happened I dunno.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I just liked that they weren't to heavy handied, the one thing I would have liked is a scene with a younger Fisk and a younger Wesley becoming friends similar to Matt and Foggy. Oh here are some other stuff:

Fisk lies to Wesley about speaking Japanese
Matt lies to Foggy about being able to "see"

I'll write it all down when I do a rewatch of it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I kind of wonder if Fisk and Matt are both Catholic. Like it'd make sense but I don't recall seeing any religious imagery in Fisks house are remember any other sounds.

Also, I'm pretty sure those Gangsters that talked to Matts dad are also the same Gangsters that Fisk's dad owed money to.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Daredevil : A Christian warrior comes into conflict with the Devil and has to regain his faith.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Here's the best review for Daredevil yet:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2015/04/13/daredevils-vigilante-injustices-come-at-the-wrong-time/

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That's what I took away from it.

quote:

But if the killings of black men, teenagers and boys that have gripped this country in recent years have taught us anything, it should be that such fantasies of certainty are dangerous delusions. And even if someone is guilty, delivering penalties outside of a courtroom has an ugly way of escalating the punishment for crimes. Walter Scott is dead because he had a broken taillight on his car. Michael Brown is dead because he was suspected of robbing a convenience store. The crimes in “Daredevil,” including trafficking and attempted murder, are more consequential, but the show is still awfully blithe about how violently Matt deals with them.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 13, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I have long waited to see Iron Fist literally punch a Dragon to death. It better not be metaphorical. I want him to beat a dragon to death with his bare hands and then punch through it's chest.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

zoux posted:

Uh is there another way to become an Iron Fist?

No, but they could do a whole "vision quest " thing or whatever. I want there to be some Man on Dragon action and they should lead with that.

The first scene should just be him punching a dragon to death.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

A martial arts / mystic kung fu style television series sounds like something Marvel will take a chance on it makes sense as well. They seem to be taking some big chances right now with Ant-Man, The Netflix television series and Doctor Strange so I think it'll be full on mystical. I mean they have Stone in the Daredevil series.

Also they already introduced the concept of "Realms" with Thor so there being 7 Magical Cities isn't insane it's already been introduced that there are multiple realms.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 13, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, he has a glowing fist that he punches things with that he's summoned with his Chi, it's probably why their doing his series last so that the other series can slowly introduce concepts from that and get really far out there.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Can we have a moment to appreciate just how loving good Scott Glenn was as Stick.

Scott Glen is amazing and wonderful.

edit: I still can't believe that Marvel has not done a Shang Chi foreign film. Now that would be amazing. With how huge the market is in China it'd be incredibly popular.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 14, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

tsob posted:

Get Steven Chow to write and direct one please and thanks.

That's exactly who I would get.

My dream plan would be

Blade - Bring him back to his British Roots and make him actually British ( which the movie ruined), team up with Union Jack

Elsa Bloostone - French Foreign Movie

Shang Chi - Chinese Foreign movie

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Actually Matt only saves Karen once, I'm pretty sure. Foggy helps out the other time, then she saves herself.

She's not shown as some weakling which I actually liked and liked that it was her that ultimately brought about Fisks end.

Actually I think the show's 3/3 for strong women characters in the film.

I really hope they can swing getting Black Widow to show up as they had a thing for a while.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 14, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait they still haven't named who is playing Danny Rand have they?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Need to figure out how to get Steven Chow.

Edit: Did anyone notice the cover change on Daredevil on Netflix ? I don't remember him being in the suit and now he's in the suit. Or am I imagining that.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 14, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I hope they revamp his origin, it's pretty uh... bad.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

Can I confess that even though I've read all of Daredevil through 2013, it was binge-reading and I couldn't keep track of the 8,000 Marvel characters who wandered into the comic over the years? I thought I would be good on references in this thread, but I'm not.

The fanfic out there is really hosed up, too. You have to know every character ever, then imagine them all genderbent, blind, living in a hospital, and also they're all gay.

Why are you reading Daredevil Fanfic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

He died, but it wasn't intentional. Matt was deflecting his sickle and it struck a light right over the gas-soaked man. Self-defense.

I think this is what actually happened maybe I just rewatched the scene so it look like it was matt trying to distract him so kind of not Daredevils fault, although he does say he's going to kill Wilson.

Gif of the guy getting torched please.