Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Abso-loving-lutely knocked it out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Who's playing Matt's dad. He's pretty loving great so far too.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Agents of shield would have been much better if it could have just started closer to Winter Soldier's release. The monster of the week crap is just filler before the main event could actually start.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

A rich black guy/kid would work as well as a rich white guy/kid, but anything other than bald loving happenstance connecting Danny Rand to all of this weird poo poo and mysticism would hurt the character at least a little. Best if no one can read any spiritual/racial destiny stuff into it at all.

Hell make the character a fat black gay woman.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

dj_clawson posted:

Daredevil clearly takes place in an alternate reality Hells' Kitchen.

Holy poo poo.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's weird, but after this, the only Netflix marvel show I have any real worries about is Luke Cage.

No reason to fear for Iron Fist at all, and while Jessica Jones is going to contain some stuff that could well be mishandled I have genuine hope that they'll be able to make it work without stepping too far over the line in either direction and loving it all up.

No, it's really only Luke Cage that I worry about. I mean, what themes or ideas are they going to be able to find to really drive it home and make it special?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Gao was probably just forming connections and getting a feel for the "real" world. Her whole deal was likely just setting up and intelligence gathering for some future endeavor.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

You don't think there's a veritable trove of themes to mine from, in this day and age, for a story about a bulletproof black man who is wrongfully sent to prison?

More just worried it'll be drat boring really.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So I'm starting to wonder if Luke Cage is going to end up being a romantic comedy/love story that'll build on whatever relationship Luke and Jessica start in AKA Jessica Jones. It'd give them their humanizing hook plus allow for an un-tread angle in super hero (well at least cinematic) stories.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So would Danny then be the "wrong kind of asian" for certain important characters in his story instead of the "wrong kind of everything"?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Here is the thing I think it's more important that the character be useful for telling relevant and interesting stories that will appeal to as large an audience as possible than it is to fulfill anyones racial or national pride.

While Danny's origins as a white man definitely owe to racism it's ironic that his status as a white man is likely a better hook for stories about racism, othering, and alienation than if he had been asian the whole time.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

He also gets himself shot because a) Fisk is a huge baby who cannot take care of himself and b) Wesley is both extremely servile and protective of the guy to a fault.

Basically neither of them can or will really let Fisk be his own man and people die because of it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Modus Operandi posted:

His behavior is that of a person who has a severe mental handicap the acting is a bit over the top in some ways.

You've never actually met anyone with a severe mental handicap have you?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

etalian posted:

I thought his mom remembered Karen, it's how Fisk made the connection back to Ben.

The lady at the newspaper who was working for Fisk told Fisk it was Ben. Fisk has totally no idea that Karen or any woman at all was involved, and his mother was totally useless as far as information about "who she met" goes.

This is all pretty explicitly shown on screen.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Modus Operandi posted:

Aside from you?

Wait who are you and how do you know me?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

etalian posted:

Nope in a previous episode Fisk's mom in one of few lucid moments remembers getting visitors such as pretty blonde woman.

Wasn't that what she told Wesley? I could swear she utterly failed to give Fisk any information at all.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Karen clearly clearly made a mistake going to that home and dragging Urich along.

But when the whole point of the show is that these characters are very human and do in fact gently caress up and make bad choices I can't really find it in me to HATE Karen for this.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Peter will provide JJJ with pictures of spiderman smoking cigarettes or scratching his balls or vomiting in the gutter.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

*takes picture of self holding a bag of oregano*

"Mr. Jameson I think I got a picture of Spiderman smoking the reefer here!"

"Hot drat now everyone will know how much of a no good hoodlum that Spiderman is!"

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Maybe someone else paid Bullseye to gently caress up the kill shot?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Couldn't Phillipe be being courted for Bullseye?

That's a possibility but based on what the guy looks like Iron Fist is simply way more likely.

To say nothing of Dany Rands identity as a spoiled rich boy who learns humility and Phillipe's own performance history.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 30, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Nobu was in deep poo poo with "his people" because of the loss of The Black Sky. He almost certainly expected to die, and knew Fisk was setting him up.

I mean, even if he did kill Matt and also managed to escape from Fisk, he was more than likely a dead man anyway.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

this is really good and i am really digging the way it's been shot too

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

1x08 so yeah my skin is basically doing it's drat best to remove itself from the rest of my body

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

1x12 so all the interactions between Luke and Jessica were controlled by Kilgrave from the start?

no just that episode and a tiny bit of the one before

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

This show is really good but yes, the complaints about the shooting of the fight scenes are valid, especially when the rest of the show is shot so drat well.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's a really good show, at least as good as Daredevil. But it's flaws are more glaring than those in Daredevil.

It does make me very happy that I'm not the sort of person to dwell on specific flaws when the whole is so good.

Also, I have to say that a whole bunch of Doctor Who fans only just now realizing that The Doctor is a delusional narcissist because Tennant played a delusional narcissist in this does make me chuckle a little bit.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Like seriously, Jessica wasn't being dumb. She was trapped by the circumstances and unable to act and Hope recognized it and remedied it. In the end it was Hope that saved Jessica, directly, using the first bit of agency she's able to get her hands on. And this, Hope's self sacrifice in order to save Jessica from the cycle of violence she's trapped in makes all the loving difference. Hope doesn't simply demand Jessica do violence, or admonish her for the refusal to do it, or attempt to do it for her.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

like loving seriously, while we the viewer know that Hogarth cannot be trusted in this situation, Jessica has no real reason to believe the woman would do something so god damned loving stupid.

Like Jessica has no loving clue that Hogarth's divorce situation is going quite as badly as it is, she really doesn't know how desperate Hogarth is becoming.

Do you really have this much trouble separating what you, as the viewer know, from what the characters can or do know?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Drythe posted:

She also got her loving phone back after she knocked him out at her house, how did she not realize she sent a text that says "bitches, right?". God drat it. She knew Kilgrave knew there was a weakness he could exploit and she still leaves her alone with him.

Jessica has no loving clue that Kilgrave knew anything about that, she is never aware that Kilgrave saw the text or that he responded to it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Hogarth never tells her what's actually up, instead just repeatedly pressing her for help.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Lets not forget this is also the women who took the fetus for medical reasons, as she wanted to see if the power could be replicate.

And Jessica never had any loving clue about that.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The way the fights were shot and edited was loving awful yeah. You'd figure they would take a page from noir and keep the shots clean and simple but nope.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Anyway, I really do have to say, the "I would not have made that mistake!" is just about one of my all time favorite criticism of any sort of entertainment ever and I really want to hear more of it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Anyway, I know exactly why Luke left.

Nurse lady's (forgot her name) talk to Luke at the end was dead spot on, dude realized he's got some poo poo to work through, and left to do that.

Luke isn't exactly the most complicated of people, in fact he's about the most level headed guy around, it's part of what makes him a good and/or fun character. Sane and stable man in an insane world.

So I'm just going to assume he's left to do what he has to do.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

His wife also had a connection to what's on that drive, and apparently never told Luke a drat bit of anything about anything before she died.

I'm thinking themes of past mistakes and secrets and lies are on the table for Luke's series.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Until Hope sacrifices herself Simpson's insistence that they Kill mudercorpse isn't even the correct course of action, and arguably still isn't the correct course of action afterwards.

Just because he's correct in the end doesn't mean he's correct in the moment.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Good first season but why didn't she just wear headphones every episode?

Did you miss the part where the easily knocked off headphones got knocked off? Or maybe you are also unaware that Killgrave can just order other people to kill you if he cannot give you orders?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Earplugs of basically any kind are totally poo poo for a lot of these same reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I'm only just getting into episode four but I still find myself getting stuck on that dude punching Luke in the face and breaking his hand.

I mean, that's ridiculous and I'm not just being stupid again right?

People break their hands and fingers punching things far softer than Luke Cage all the time.