Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The one I remember specifically is she tries flying through the window of a club to save Spider-Woman, (No, not that one. No, not that one either. The other one... n-no, the other other one), and they end up bouncing down a Manhattan street on landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mr.capps posted:

Do you guys think Purple Man is going to do a Kevin Spacey impression when he monologues to the audience?
"Now watch this, I am going to use my mind controlling powers on this senator"

First of all, you made me imagine Tennant trying to do a Southern accent and you need to be aware of how bad a person you are for that.

Secondly, I doubt it, but it'd be an interesting take on the comics, given that one of the ways that character is made unnerving in Alias is having him address the reader.

nelson posted:

How the gently caress did that end up in a Marvel book? It seems like something that should have stayed in Japan with their perveted comics.

Except that in this comic it's treated as really hosed up and the whole story is about her getting past it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jason Aaron's Punisher was good. As was Greg Rucka's.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the issue is that it's a weird fit for what they seem to have in mind. Jones, Cage and Daredevil all work in this small, ubran area of New York. Iron Fist COULD, but the most successful run of stories from the comics were globetrotting, dimension jumping adventures. Even his origin is a lot harder to squeeze into the Hell's Kitchen vibe, because it involves Himalayan mountain climbs and magical kung-fu cities.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mover posted:

Living Weapon went really action-oriented body-horror at times, it was an interesting genre blend. However, it had zero Fat Cobra which was a pretty big problem.

Yes, but the problem with the Brubaker/Fraction/Aja run as a basis is that it's A) not really possible to do and have the whole thing shot in Brooklyn, and B) as a result expensive as all gently caress to actually do and not have look silly. It's one thing to have a woman lift the back wheels of a car off the ground, it's another to create a believable dragon for Danny Rand to fist fight, or a woman who can summon spiders or a dude made of fog.

Not to mention how it clashes with their seeming conception of this group as a small-scale, street level thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gyges posted:

Actually, what you could do with Iron Fist is have him Kwai Chang Caine his way into Hell's Kitchen and have the over arcing plot be retaking his father's company from the mystic extra dimensional kung fu dudes who currently control it and are using it's resources for evil. Dare Devil already had the Hand as one of the gangster factions, so just expand on that.

And Carrie-Anne Moss can be either the lead henchmen, or more likely, the old friend/employee of his dad's who is trying to help Danny stop them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
gently caress it, make Iron Fist about that one lady Iron Fist from China who blew battleships up with chi-arrows. It can be a period piece and she can be after the McGuffin from Defenders. If you're going to be totally impractical, go the whole hog.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

The hell is this nonsense?

The truth? I suppose you could stretch to Ultron, but you really find Jeff Bridges Yells A Lot or Chris Eccleston Under A Ton Of Latex compelling as characters?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

computer parts posted:

Oh yeah, one touch I did like was Matt praying at Elektra's bedside. We hadn't really dipped into the explicit Catholic-ness in S2 other than the priest meeting.

There was Matt crossing himself when he said to Frank that killing the Blacksmith might be the right call.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

I just think they missed a big opportunity when Matt told Elektra that the whole Black Sky thing is a myth and Elektra didn't respond with, "and your Jesus Christ isn't?"

Stick said it, pretty much, something like "Don't believe in coming back from the dead? Isn't your whole belief system based on a guy pulling that off?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Yeah, upon viewing four seasons of three different Marvel Netflix shows, it's pretty obvious they'd all do better with 10 episodes instead of 13. Especially if some of those spare episodes could be donated to The Defenders.

That would actually have left enough episodes for a fifth show like Punisher (or to allow Daredevil to be renewed without having to do a new contract with Marvel Studios), as the original deal was for 60 eps, I believe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

McDragon posted:

That was some good stuff. Roll on Iron Fist.

Spoilers for the whole lot: Diamondback was way better than I was expecting. He seemed a bit too much of a cliche when he first appeared, but then he got interesting and the actor really made him come alive. And Shades, and Cottonmouth, they got way more interesting as things went on. Most of the characters I guess. And Claire got a bigger role. I hope she keeps being the person to bandage up all these superheroes when they get battered.

Oh, and I was thinking Diamondback might need to come up with less of a "we are the baddies" name than Judas Bullets to sell the idea to the cops, but no, they're fine with just yelling it on the streets and sticking holes in everything. That was a bit silly.

I liked the final showdown, it was very comic booky and the crack about a pimp stormtrooper made me laugh far too much.

And really, all the punching, and wrecking of places, and explosions and shooting, I liked those a lot. Some drat good action in there. And any time Luke put someone to sleep with one of those casual taps. And I love that nobody ever got the idea that maybe shooting the bulletproof man was a bad move. Oh, his best move is the "leisurely lift a guy into the ceiling" though. Always my favourite.

Well, Diamondback's supplier seems to be tied to Justin Hammer, and remember that MCU Justin Hammer is Sam Rockwell as a wannabe Tony Stark, so I totally buy that he or his company gave a sci-fi high-ex round a silly name like that

Rocksicles posted:

1x12 Method Man getting held up and meeting Luke was pretty awesome.
I don't know enough of Method Man's music to know, was the track he did on the radio show a pre-existing one with altered lyrics or did he write a new one for the show?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 2, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hope Claire sleeps with all the Defenders

I'm half-convinced the only reason she doesn't make out with Jessica Jones is that she and Ritter only shared like 30 seconds of screen time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

Isn't that because the show runners don't have any idea what's happening on the other shows?

The showrunner on Defenders is the guy that does Daredevil (from s2, and he was a writer on the show in s1, I believe)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I dunno, take away the flashback episode from Daredevil season 1 and we know about as much about her as we would know about Fisk.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Firstborn posted:

The joke is that the roster consisted of: 1 hero that doesn't have a current running series, 1 hero that is being pushed by Marvel, 1 hero that is a personal favorite of whoever is doing the book, and 1 hero added on a dare.

Interestingly, there's a current Defenders comic featuring the line-up from the show, and all of them have comics right now. (And are all personal favourites of the person doing the book)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

The only worthwhile thing to come out of this season is the picture of Charlie Cox being taught how to knit:

I now want a scene in JJ season 2 of Trish trying to get her to use knitting as a way to stop drinking and Jessica knits her own gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MrJacobs posted:

Every lady student Coleen had was part of the hand. the students who capture her to kill her were part of the hand.

And there's a bunch of lady Hand goons in the cave fight in the Defenders finale. Unsurprisingly they only fight Jessica.