Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Everything I've seen from Daredevil makes it look pretty sweet. Marvel's TV has been kind of lackluster thus far, with weird character priorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I liked the show but hated the Kingpin. He was a cold cartoon villain at one second and then a raging retard the other. What is this "I want to make the city a better place" crap? Why do I need to walk through half a dozen mega-awkward love speeches? Why does the character keep whining all the time?

Every other villain and the supporting characters were on point though.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BiggerBoat posted:

Did you miss the flashback scenes with his family, especially his father? I think it pretty clearly showed why Wilson is the way he is. I love the portrayal of Kingpin in this series and can't get why some people don't

I get why he is what he is, but what he is lame. "HURR...you ruined everything...I KILL YOU! RARRGH!" It's absurd.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Aphrodite posted:

He's emotional. That's different in a villain.

Have we been watching the same Marvel stuff? From Loki to Ronan to Red Skull all of the villains have been megalomaniac whiners. And that's fine when you command armies and do magic and all that. Kingpin is street level, he is cold, he's calculating, he's not some lovestruck half-baby who flips out in autistic rage.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"Give me a red." :aaaaa:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

uPen posted:

Daredevil had Russian gangsters, a Japanese ninja and a wise Chinese lady.

Uh, not to slam on Daredevil (I liked it, except I still think that the Kingpin was horrible in the show), but aren't all those basically huge mostly negative stereotypes

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Two episodes in but this is already way better then either Daredevil or Jessica Jones.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
All I got to say it's refreshing to see a Marvel show where the character doesn't spend too much time loving around. Best one yet for me.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jerusalem posted:

"All that counts is you can't stop me. I'm stronger than you, so I can do anything I want. Isn't that the way it works?" from The Slavers is still one of the most hosed up things I've seen in a comic.

I definitely hate many parts of Ennis Punisher (mainly the same things I hate in every Ennis comic) but I don't know why people want satisfaction or redemption from Frank Castle. He's a brutal murderer, a broken man who doesn't get to ride off into the sunset or become a hero. His only redeeming factor is that he kills bad people but you know, he is still a hosed up psychopath because mass murder is generally considered wrong. The show was pretty good about those elements and Ennis' Punisher was great about them. Plenty of opportunities to explore healing and PTSD survival and becoming a functioning member of society and so on, even in the show, just not specifically with Frank "bodycount of a small military conflict" Castle. Dude is way past gone.

Also granted this is still kind of a "Young Punisher" story, Ennis' Punisher was like pushing 60 or something. Even Karen Page wouldn't be defending that dude (oh my God shut up Karen)

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 22, 2017

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cythereal posted:

Why is it so wrong to have empathy for a hurt, broken man and want him to heal?

It's not wrong, but I feel it is misplaced in this case. The Punisher as a character is about a lot of themes, some of which are pretty complex, but redemption is not one of them. I mean look at Frank's own stance on it - we don't have empathy on all the people he mows down without a second thought, even if they are not a threat at the moment.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Davros1 posted:

https://twitter.com/ThePunisher/status/1080841307973607424

Was expecting Jigsaw to look a lot more messed up

Sweet, the only Netflix Marvel show who deserves some extra life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BiggerBoat posted:

They both just fell off a loving cliff somehow.

Is this not every single Marvel Netflix show? You know, aside from those that started out terrible. To this day I still haven't finished a single one of these shows. I don't know what the gently caress happens but they all suck at least by season 2. Daredevil is where I got to the furthest but Jesus gently caress you have to pay me to watch any of these shows from the beginning to the end. What a squandered opportunity.