Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

HIJK posted:

Yeah. All of this is why I didn't think he was all that great. It felt like a missed opportunity to see a character like this come to grips with his own weakness.

Honestly for me it all comes down to that moment in the hallway where he's cool with Trish. We could have had it all but they needed one more fight before the Kilgrave showdown.

The problem was he wasn't doing that out of any particular need to come to grips with his weakness.

He was compelled to show Trish that he was a great guy and not like the crazy person Killgrave made him seem like he was.

He was doing it out of his own ego and desire to make himself feel like less of a monster. If he truly cared about Trish in those moments he could have easily just apologized said it's not me and walked away from the situation, without having the need to be validated, if she doesn't immediately allow him in.

Maybe it was just me but that entire scene of him sitting in the hallway continually wearing her down came off creepy as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Sharmat posted:

He wanted forgiveness. That's selfish, sure. But almost everyone is selfish in that way. Jessica wants the same thing. Jessica sleeping with Luke Cage under false pretenses is creepier than what Simpson does there.

Didn't she forgive him(at least say she did), and then ask him to leave, and he still didn't?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Malcom, and Suit guy.

Edit: Nevermind. Suit guy attacked Jessica too.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Malcolm spies on Jessica in exchange for drugs. Suit guy is convinced to beat her up by a crazy person.

To be fair He was still under Kilgrave's control at that point. Financial, and control via addiction are still valid.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Snak posted:

I accidentally read comments on a reddit thread about Jessica Jones. I need to wash my brain.

Just take the red pill you'll be fine. Only one though. Take more than one and you will dive waaaay too deep.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

:goonsay:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Oasx posted:

I wish we had been shown more of how Matt "sees", i thought that was a cool part of the first season. I don't understand why they didn't do it at all in this one.

Nah that seems just like a waste of budget.

Ending Spoilers

Only one time I can think of that it would have worked and enhanced a scene and that's when Stick is telling Matt to focus on the breath of the enemies

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Nephthys posted:

Yeah, this. Foggy was pissed because Matt was straight up ruining his life. If Foggy hadn't stepped up and impressed people so much, he would have been absolutely screwed. Matt tanked their careers after forcing Foggy into that situation and didn't even give a poo poo about it.

Personally I thought the season was fantastic. I loved most of it, even the Elektra stuff, but the ending was weak. My problem wasn't that they went into ninja poo poo, its that they didn't go in hard enough. The hole was so intriguing it hooked me and then the zombie ninja's reeled me in and all they had to do with clinch it. If they'd have gone balls out and a loving demon had come out of the coffin and started clowning Matt it would have been pretty great. But instead the season just builds up to.... Nobu? Nobu is a side-villain. He WAS a side-villain last season and Matt had already beaten him. Why should I be invested in this guy who I know nothing about, have no personal stake in, who has no real personal beef with the hero and who the hero has already bested before? They needed to go bigger.

Nah, they should save all of that for Iron Fist. Let Iron Fist go balls to the wall crazy mysticism, Daredevil only setting a loose stage for it is fine. If Ironfist isn't fighting a dragon or some poo poo in the first season it's a failure. Especially since Strange is out before Iron Fist airs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

marktheando posted:

Nobu was given a lot more characterisation in the season where he's Kingpin's sidekick than he is in the season where he's the main villain.

Nobu isn't the focus of the season though. It's fine to have a "final villian" that doesn't have characterization. Just like DD:S1 was essentially an origin story for the Kingpin, Matt got like very very little character development or changes throughout the season.

DD:S2 is more focused on Matt and the struggle between holding on to both Matt Murdock(Foggy) and Daredevil(Elektra). And Matt utterly failing at both.

Mostly this just appear to be further ground laying and setup for the hand in Iron Fist.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Okay, how many of the writers would like Daredevil to deal with real life problems like the ones you face every day?
*cheer*

And who would like to see them do just the opposite, getting into far-out situations involving ninjas and magic powers.

*cheer*

So you want a realistic down-to-earth show that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic ninjas?

And that is how we got Daredevil Season 2

To be fair that is pretty much Daredevil to a T in the comics. Mystism, Ninja's and seeing how lovely we can make this man's life.

Matt Murdock is only rivaled by Peter Parker in how much the writers poo poo on him in his personal life. And at least Peter got an extended run being a happily married man before trading in his marriage to the devil.

Honestly we are pretty lucky Karen hasn't been killed...yet.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

To be fair she only just found out about his identity.

That's the plot for S3 obviously.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Xealot posted:

Based on Daredevil and Jessica Jones, it seems pretty lovely for all the Netflix Marvel characters. I can only assume Luke Cage gets evicted from his apartment after losing his bar, and Danny Rand develops pancreatic cancer.

Seriously: Karen, Foggy, and Jessica Jones seem like they're all legit alcoholics, and Matt is only slightly less obsessive and psychotic than Frank Castle. MCU Hell's Kitchen is apparently a sad, terrible place that breeds despair and madness. Not the oasis of New American cuisine and gay bars I understood it to be.

Luke Cage and Danny Rand are only broke, they really aren't so dour usually.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dacap posted:

I thought Danny was a billionaire?

Didn't Danny lose access(or Forsake) access to his family's money.

I could be mistaken about this, I only loosely followed Iron Fist comics.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Oh yeah through that whole Claire quitting segment I just had no idea why in Gods name I was expected to care about the PR of Claires hospital. Such a bizarre scene.. I guess they wanted to give Rosario Dawson some drama to chew on but it was just another break in momentum.

To explain why she ends up in Harlem with Luke Cage.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

zoux posted:

Lol, yeah it's true that I couldn't diagnose a concussion via watching a TV show. I know that NFL players lose all their hearing and radar sense when they get their bell rung, so I should've known better.

http://i.imgur.com/YbfXOTE.gifv

Ah yes, textbook concussion. The clinical scream you can't hear yourself and where they bang on a wall.

Temporary Hearing Loss and other hearing issues are common with concussions though?

And Since hearing is kinda how Matt sees thing, you can see why he would start banging his hand and trying to get sound.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 22, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Less than 5 white people seen in the trailer.

This show is gonna loving own.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Doesn't show a lot of confidence in it if they take it to the one not available anywhere else in the world.

The US deal is probably the only one they announced. They can negotiate separate deals outside of the states if they would like.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

Somewhat doubtful the show peddles respectability politics as much as it does in order to appeal to (probably largely millennial) black viewers.

Nah, (i'm assuming here so I could be wrong) you are just probably seeing black people of differing generations/opinions and views talk to each other when they are just talking to each other. I have heard something close to the exact sentiment uttered by a barber at my barbershop when a teen said it to him. He doesn't peddle respectability politics, he knows whether the kid uses it or not nothing will change he just doesn't like to hear a word that he heard his entire life in a different context used so freely now.

Respectability politics being pushed is more "If you don't say the N-Word, If you wear a suit, If you do *insert bullshit thing here*" You won't get shot by the police or You'll be "one of the good ones, yo'll get those white people's love and affection" or whatever trash they pushing.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 4, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Wanderer posted:

Perez.

Also, it's probably significant to note here that the lady who reads Misty the riot act about "trusting the system" is also the one who regards Mariah as her "soror," and who is practically vibrating with excitement at the prospect of letting Mariah entirely off the hook.

Misty's grieving and furious simultaneously at the moment, and besides, she shouldn't have to in order for the audience to understand that motivation. Misty "went rogue" because she couldn't trust anyone, and rightly so.

She wasn't vibrating with excitement, she even said she didn't really like Mariah all that much after the hug. She also delayed Mariah from getting her phone call while Misty was finishing up elsewhere. Priscilla was the one who held back the cops until the last possible moments at the night club. She was also the one who pulled Misty back whenever she strayed too far out of line with her emotions.

She released Mariah because who cares. If they find more evidence on her she's not going to be hard to find at all. She's a councilwoman, and Harlem lifer. She's not going anywhere. It also means less issues legally for illegally detaining someone that might bite them in the rear end later.

She is the personification of the platonic ideal of "the system".

She held back the cops until the last possible moment. and was able to all the hostages besides that one dude, and not fire a shot.

She went where the evidence told her to go. But still allowed and gave Misty cover to follow her hunch and get more evidence, about what really happened without stopping her.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

tsob posted:

Perez wasn't her partner was he? I thought he just worked with her for a short stint and that that other white guy she chastised for interrupting her interrogation of Mariah in the finale was her new partner? His name escapes me currently. Also, Misty's new boss didn't seem excited to let Mariah go to me. If anything she seemed frustrated at Misty for blowing the case and disappointed, since while she was reluctant to bring her in, she seemed happy to do it so long as they had the right evidence.

Perez was who she was working with temporarily to find out what happened to Scarves or whatever his name was.

She trapped him up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

raditts posted:

Speaking of Shades, why is nobody at the end concerned with the fact that a guy who is out on bail for assaulting and holding a police officer at gunpoint (and may be suspected of murder) never had to return for trial and can freely hang out with an elected official? Why was he allowed bail in the first place? I know the answer is PLOT DEMANDS IT but still. I just didn't like anything about the way things ended.

Just because they're based on a comic book doesn't mean they have to be cartoon characters. They're not wearing the goofy costumes, after all.
It's out of place when it's half-way like that, if they want it to be cheesy and cartoony then they have to go full-retard or not at all.

It's not like normal people know who Shades is just by looking at him. He doesn't have a bracelet for tracking so they wouldn't know where he was at. Misty already knows he's guilty as gently caress but she needs more info on Mariah so she's not going to push yet.

Like sure he probably would have been denied bail, but once you ignore that part it makes enough sense.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

Bobby Fish calling Diamondback a pimp stormtrooper had me crying, that was a great line

Diamondback calling that one dude "Diet Obama", and all of his Obama references had me loving rolling.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I couldn't identify with the blind guy or the lady or the black guy. I really need Iron Fist because I can identify with a rich handsome white guy who is super good at punching.

What are your thoughts on interracial dating?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mariah -> Misty -> Cage = Shades -> Inspector Pricilla

Mariah was the best character easy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Misty was wrong though?

She should have trusted her boss. Her boss was someone who like Misty actually gave a poo poo and was able to weigh things properly. Her hesitation and understanding of what bringing those weapons onto the streets would mean was smart as hell. And that hesitation is what saved Luke and every one's lives in the end.

Unlike Misty her boss was able to maintain control in every situation besides with Shades, and when Mariah used the beating of that chess club kid to try and push her goals forward.

In Police custody Candice's probably would have had a detail on her and maybe cameras. It would have been possible to kill her. but wouldn't be so easy as sending her a text message and rolling up behind her and shooting her with no resistance. Mariah hasn't had time to start paying off cops, and they already had a list of everyone on Cottonmouth's payroll. Diamondback didn't seem to give a poo poo about anything but Luke at that time and was already being dealt with.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 5, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

They literally had a line where Diamondback said the real money is in mass producing them. "They don't quite pack the individual power of my super bullets or whatever, but they can be mass produced and put into assault rifles"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

LeafyOrb posted:

I honestly get the feeling that the mass produced bullets don't do anything to Luke, he's never with hit with any and Diamondback doesn't even have enough confidence in them to attempt to use them on Luke. Why would Diamondback give weapons that work on Luke to the police when he wants to kill him himself?

It's not great writing wise if that was the intention and they never explained it, but I can see Diamondback selling the police placebo bullets to make them feel safe as an explanation for them possibly not working in the future.

Because he likes money?

The money that he would obtain from a lucrative weapons contract with a police department.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheDefenders/status/793090985123127296

https://twitter.com/TheDefenders/status/793452570459054082

Sweet Misty's gonna be around in the Defenders.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I mean Jessica hating and dunking the poo poo out of Danny is canon even to the comics.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

It doesn't appear they bothered to introduce Finn Jones to a gym / weightlifting program for the show.

edit: I seriously hope one or more of the other Defenders, when introduced to him, makes some witty remark about "this scrawny loving twink is a magical kung fu superhero??"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

tbf he's a billionaire who spent his formative years being indoctrinated into a cult.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

shouts to them putting the yellow filter and finding the most blackity rear end black music they could find whenever Luke Cage is on screen in Harlem.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

it seems that you and i, we're both the same.

we aren't so different, you and I

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tokelau All Star posted:

I might be dumb, but I don't understand how the bad guys' plan was supposed to end with the destruction of the city.

It seemed like they just wanted to get the dragon bones.

Like there were literally multiple times where they stated that the hole they were digging and working in were causing earthquakes and would have eventually caused a geological event that would destroy most of the city.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Gao and Bakuto don't get along even in the Defenders

But when it comes to poo poo like remaining immortal they are willing to otherwise work together to get their dragon bones.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Why did Claire leave Misty Knight's amputated arm behind? That poo poo probably could have been reattached. Dumb idiot.

building was about to go boom?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Diamondback worked for me because he, Shades and that story was such a throwback to Blacksploitation movies, that I has a stupid smile on my face the entire time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

That Mariah scene is still the funniest thing ever.

"The police need to stop beating our black brothers in the streets!"
Yeah!
"And people like Luke Cage are making us collateral damage!"
Yeah!
"So let's arm the police with even more powerful weapons!"
Yeah! Wait, what?

I mean that has literally worked before sooooooo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I always cringe whenever I see cops affiliate themselves with the loving Punisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

James Bond?