Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Deadpool posted:

If anyone is interested in catching up with the character the runs you want to read are Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, and Waid. There are other fine installments but those are the ones you want. Miller is the foundation. Bendis and Brubaker are the runs the basically tear the character apart and put him through near endless poo poo and Waid's run is the light at the end of the tunnel that puts him back together.

The Death of Captain Jean DeWolf is also good, and as it's a Spider-Man/Daredevil story that defines both those characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Deadpool posted:

1x01
Holy poo poo the ending of this episode is amazing.

Great visual metaphor for the fact it's just the first step in fighting something much, much bigger than a single man. All trouble ultimately for nothing

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
1x03:

YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST KILLED ME, YOU COWARD
:stare:

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I am utterly blown away by the leeway Disney/Marvel gave this show. Jesus loving Christ

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So season 2 comes out next week right?

:f5:

That was the moment, more than anything else, that made me want Daredevil to loving RUIN that fat sunuvabitch.

His death was assured the moment he walked into that nursing home given the foreshadowing we got in his first episode. "I was always grateful you left my kids out of this. Go home". He broke a rule that let him be untouchable.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Just binged watched all 13 today, gently caress that was good!

Can't wait for the next three, especially Iron Fist.

I want season 2 of Iron Fist and Power Man to be Heroes for Hire drat it.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Petr posted:

1x05
Even if he develops later, I'm still going to have some problems. That guy who fumbled his way through the meeting with the other three gangsters? There's no way that guy corrupts the NYPD to the point where they execute snitches. There's no way he fills a swanky restaurant with his own lackeys so they all jump up in unison at the Russian guy. It's like the show couldn't decide whether he's the Kingpin already, or on the way to becoming the Kingpin.

It's both. Fisk has the power of the Kingpin, but he hasn't used it or molded himself fully into what he's going to be become

1x13

Glad Fisk wasn't killed off or written off. Hope Kingpin comes back to season 2 or 3. Electra and Bullseye kinda rely on his character. Speaking of which, I hope we get PunisherMax Bullseye

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I still think that Cage and Iron Fist should be folded into one show called Heroes for Hire, but maybe that's because that rocks and I want season 2 of Daredevil like now.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Eddain posted:

Does Daredevil have a steady girlfriend or is he a revolving door? It seemed like Karen had a thing for him halfway through the series but then Foggy was always with her, but then Foggy went back to Marci.

In the comics he's a total manslut.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

tvb posted:

It was a great payoff to his "I'm getting my stun gun out of storage" line, too. I was devastated when we lost Leland.

There were a lot of just random things that had great payoff, but that was the best.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

dj_clawson posted:

In the end the truth that got him killed was some unverifiable gossip about Fisk's father's death that he couldn't print because of lack of corroboration (and other tiny details about ethics in journalism) and so he just went to randomly post poo poo on the internet to get people upset. Ulrich's life/career didn't exactly end on a high note.

It was all Karen's fault, really. And I blame her for it.

Yeah, I mean he was posting conspiracy theories on the internet and had been told by Silvermane a couple of months ago that the one reason he helped Ben was because he kept his family out of it. He was a dead man.

So are we getting Owl next season plus Fisk's return to the top? I hope we get Bullseye and Electra soon too.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 22, 2015

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Holy poo poo that was Silvermane? I didn't catch that.

Does it count as a return to the top when he was only really on the top for like a couple episodes max?

I think Elektra kinda seems like a must but what the gently caress do I know about making good TV.

Yeah, had the same name.

I think a "return to the top" is the proper way to say it if only because of the nature of the character arc. I know we're getting Hand poo poo because of how heavily they hinted it but the way they ended the season seems primed to not only say Fisk's story isn't over but that it's just beginning too. Great time to introduce Bullseye or Electra if we're getting a gang war next season.

Also season 2 confirmed for next year :unsmith:

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 22, 2015

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

What if all the Hand stuff is mostly there for the Defenders miniseries?

Would make sense and be cool poo poo for a crossover.

I hope that's where they go with it.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

More Fisk backstory
More Fisk current story
More Vanessa
More Wesley
Bullseye
Elektra
Stick
Spiderman shout outs

Wesley :smith:

There's nothing more I want than a Daredevil/Spider-Man crossover doing the Murder of Jean DeWolf or handling Spidey's more gritty less wacky adventures.

Honestly there's nothing more than I'd want to see than Punisher be a Daredevil villain or supporting character/foil, I think that's something to explore a little later in a series run. Establish Fisk becoming the Kingpin and a new status quo then bam during season three or four, have Punisher come on the scene and change all the rules for the heroes. Now there is a lunatic gunning down people for the sake of justice, getting poo poo done but in a frankly horrifying reprehensible way. Matt gets to see what he could have become if he decided to waste Fisk.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 22, 2015

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

dj_clawson posted:

But them freeing himself and beating everyone up with a hockey stick. "Hey Matt this isn't so hard when you can see!"

Foggy Bear: season 1.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

That would be like season 5 or 6. Season 2 Elektra, 3 Born again 4 Bendis run 5 Bru run 6 Waids.
Going to say while I like Waid's run, it isn't actually "great". He just broke the trend and livened things up with a lighter take, giving some breathing room before we go back to Grim and Dark stuff. Can't really remember a great storyline. TV wise it wouldn't fit themes and mood of the show, which is fine for a comic book run or film series...is really, really bad for a tv series.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 22, 2015

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

Waid's run was what got me into reading Daredevil in the first place though, so it is important - without it, a summary of Daredevil reads like just a bit ridiculously excessive endless spiral of death and depression and everything and everyone that Matt cares about dying or worse. You're right that some of the Waid stories would be pretty inappropriate for the TV Daredevil, but if this sticks around for a few seasons, I don't think that letting some of the lighter elements/stories drip in a bit occasionally so the excessive grittiness doesn't get tiring would be good.

I'm not saying it isn't good (I have nearly every issue he did) or even necessary, just that it isn't an iconic run or whatever and isn't appropriate for this type of series as an entire season of material even in it's grounded stories.

But yeah as something that comes in during subplots or B stories, it would be cool to lighten things up and not become self serious to the point of parody

bobkatt013 posted:

There is the whole poo poo with Bullseye

.Okay yeah, that was legit amazing stuff. I really wish I hadn't misplaced those issues.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh do not worry she still gets to Sell Matt's identity for some heroin. then the fridging.

Do we have to Spoiler tag this?

It's kinda funny I hope SOME variant of that happens but she isn't iced at the end. It leads to a lot better story material, because holy poo poo a lot of comic runs tease that poo poo but never ever do it and that is going to change a relationship permanently.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

So Iron Fist is actually a relatively average white guy that gets accidentally caught up in some kind of crazy mystical Kung Fu war? Is Ironfist going to be Big Trouble in Little China: The Television Series?

Because I'd watch the poo poo out of that.

This would be the best tone to take honestly

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Modus Operandi posted:

You'll have a hard time convincing anyone that asian, indian, or middle eastern males matter one bit in american society. That's just the current social climate in the U.S. at the moment. Real talk: It's all about the money. The audience demographic wants to see white guy karate so there will be white guy karate with probably an asian female love interest and oriental sifu who gets killed at some point.

Empire did really well, I really kinda doubt this. I mean Hollywood and European racism is a Thing but I think Netflix or tv series are now exempt from this mostly.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

Honestly, as long as they just cast a good fit for the role it doesn't matter. The only really important bits in his origin are that a. he's an outsider and foreigner, and at least somewhat unwelcome in K'un Lun, and b. he's from a rich, probably American family. You could do that with an asian-american, sure, but it's pretty silly to do that to avoid calls of racism and for no other reason. I'd care more about getting a really good lead than making sure he's the right race. Hell, he could be Latino for all I care, it would certainly be funny to see the reactions to it.

It's be hilarious to have the dude be Japanese or Vietnamese or some other Asian culture with vast nationalist and racial tensions to fill out that foreigner bit.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

spite house posted:

I've been parsing her as a dedicated, lifelong, very successful opportunist who's tickled to death that her best opportunity came in the form of someone she actually likes and feels tremendous affection for, and I'd also love to see how she got that way.

I'd like explanation best.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Gyges posted:

Jessica Jones has some Avengers auxillary level powers but quit to be a P.I. because some really hosed up poo poo happened to her. Later on she and Luke Cage got married and I think they have a baby girl. I actually don't know very much about Jessica Jones.

Pretty much 100% accurate though.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh I thought you were just talking about this part of the comic

Johnny Storm: Black Man's Nightmare 3

Burning_Monk posted:

Oh man, the dichotomy of Matt and Frank is going to be awesome.
Between him and Electra being introduced this season, this is great. The temptation of not pursing justice and the temptation to it too far in one season is going to make for compelling poo poo.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 9, 2015

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I just hope Fisk is coming back.

We have Punisher going nuts and shooting up criminals because he was partially inspired by Daredevil, but what the hell is Electra doing back in town?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Dapper Dan posted:

Why is everyone so confused as to the motives of the Punisher's family's deaths? Watch the last episode again. The Blacksmith invited Frank to be part of his awesomely profitable heroin trading scheme. Frank refused. The Blacksmith knew Frank was a loose end because he'd been exposed and Frank is a very real law and order type. The Blacksmith gets wind Frank is taking his family to the park, sets up a fake drug deal between three very twitchy gangs, tips off the DA to the deal and then doesn't show. The Blacksmith knows the gangs are super loving twitchy and the DA is heavy handed. Frank is there in the park and then a fire-fight occurs. It was specifically done to kill Frank. His family was inconsequential.

Frank knew The Blacksmith's identity, knew how profitable it was and had a chance to reveal it. The Blacksmith needed him eliminated. Getting him caught in the cross-fire was part of the plan. What wasn't part of it was Frank surviving.

Also, if they wanted to tie Frank to 'The Hand' storyline, they could have made the Blacksmith part of the Hand, and had everything in a neat little bow. Then he shows up with a mini-gun and just massacres some ninjas.

Pretty much. It's the last part that bothers me, because it would have been so easy to do.

mikeraskol posted:

This doesn't make any sense. If he knew the Blacksmith's identity, as soon as he got out of prison he would have booked it upstate and shot Clancy Brown in the face. He only figured it out by following Karen.

Castle has brain damage and memory issues

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

From the way the attorney talked, It didn't even sound like Fisk had a trial yet, let alone convicted. But the show is really bad in the legal aspect of things so its best not to think too hard about it.

They said it was going to be a "few months, maybe even a couple of years" when discussing his release. It's sounds like season 3 or 4 Fisk is back, more likely 3 with them doing an adaption of The Man Without Fear story line. Probably replacing Nuke with Bullseye.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

DrNutt posted:

I loved The Punisher when I was a retarded lolbertarian but he has a lot less appeal now that I've grown up and matured. Re reading the MAX stuff is mostly unpleasant and I can't imagine "Frank Castle gruesomely murders disgusting rapists, murderers, and pedophiles" being a compelling season of TV without something more complex added to the mix. That's why I loved the Tom Jane Punisher. It was a little cheesy but giving the character a little humanity wasn't a bad idea.

You're kind of missing the point of the Ennis run on MAX, especially when he fights the human traffickers, it's only the light hearted wall street guys run that is supposed to generate this reaction. That arc literally ends with the activists laying into Frank and calling him a serial killer/monster no different than the rapists he's fighting and accomplishing nothing but satisfying himself, and him admitting it

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

Seeing Danny get told off for being a spoiled white guy is really fun. I think he works pretty well in the group and it's nice seeing him actually take some of the criticism to heart.

Danny grew up being tortured and beaten into the Iron Fist. The criticism was insanely too meta and didn't bear out his story line/character, which is immature traumatized manchild, who's conflicted by the Western and Eastern values he's been taught and refuses to make a decision between them.

lmao he really should have been cast White or Asian

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 18, 2017

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
ep 8 What is Elektra plan? She's trying to kill Matt and embrace the darkness where she feels alive...but also is okay with being with it because he'll be at her side?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Their all bad friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL spend 30 seconds googling "Daredevil Jessica Jones viewership" and you might be a crackerjack investigative journalist just like me some day!

Iron Fist beat them all soooo