Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Squiggle posted:

Pretty much the only deal with the red costume is the cheeks. Gotta have that downward slant. OBSERVE (spoilery):

I don't know, it looks better but doesn't feel as threatening. It's hard to describe, but the mask they use is more pointed and thus more.... confrontational somehow? There's also a sense of continuity in design.

e: same thing with Batman

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Inadvertently hilarious episode description from Netflix (1x12):

Daredevil makes a startling discovery about Fisk's financing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
(1x02)

The pseudo-Oner, fuuuck.

This show owns.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
(1x03)

"It makes me feel alone."

Yup, they nailed it. The emphasis on corrupt, impersonal systems that devour everyone shows what they can do with a miniseries.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Unlucky7 posted:

1x01
Do we know the name of the guy who is in the beginning fight who got the ground and pound, and appeared in the ending montage with the weapon shipment? For some reason I keep thinking he will end up being movieverse Bullseye. That said, 'he primarily uses a gun in both appearances' is flimsy at best. No future episode spoilers, please

He's another character from the comics, he's named later.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
1x06
Goddamn loving intense. I do hope for a change Murdock actually kills Kingpin, there's only so many times we can do this song-and-dance.

This show seems to be taking a healthy stance towards the police.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Starting to feel there are too many conversations about how well-connected and influential the villains are.

1x07
Stick is a wonderful rear end in a top hat, but his goony "no girls no friends only war" shtick (lol) is kind of one-note.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I realised what was bothering me about 1x07. It felt like an episode of Arrow.

1x08
The monologues on this show aren't good in my opinion. Like Urich's article and Wilson's public speech.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 10, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

less laughter posted:

1x03
Why did they still need the hung jury to get Healy acquitted? I thought he was just going to walk free anyway after Matt's closing speech.

His speech seemed like just rhetoric, like Healy thought, but it actually exhorted the jury to think for themselves. The hung jury shows that they're not a lost cause, I think.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

What no? That head jury lady was very clearly under pressure. She had been gotten to as well.

I remember that, but I guess I misread the scene because I forgot how American justice system works. Like juries need unanimous verdicts.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
1x13
The finale felt anti-climactic after all the build-up, honestly. Fisk's downfall was long in coming, but it felt pretty easy when it came down to it. You can see that it was a product of the characters' choices and struggles, but it didn't have the impact I think it should've had. Like if there was a lesson it should've taken from Arrow, it's to have big two-part finale. The series feels like it weakens towards the end after a great start, but it was still a great ride.

I do love that in his red suit Daredevil looks and acts so much like Batman, but when you actually see him in action, he's the farthest thing from Batman.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
1x13
The more I think about the finale, the more overall disappointing it was, but it did give satisfying closure to the characters if not the whole story, mostly.

Karen knowing Spanish is also a nice nod to the comics, but make me worry a lot about her backstory.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Apoplexy posted:

That all sounds needlessly grimdark for a Marvel Cinematic Universe show.

(Whole series + comics)
They might have already sneaked bits of it in - I think Ben Urich referred to her "past activities", she claims to have shot someone before, and she speaks Spanish (in the comics, she was living at the streets in Mexico at her lowest).

e:

Srice posted:

So I am tired of Marvel movies what with how incredibly safe they play everything, how the third act is always the same and they manage to all blend into a generic style and etc etc. And I'm also tired of origin stories. I mean, hearing that this serves as an origin story for both Daredevil and the Kingpin already makes me wary about it!.

So instead of just jumping into Daredevil, I'm just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me and if so, did you enjoy it or not?

It's an origin story in the sense that Batman (1989) is. Not just origin + third act. Their origin stories are more about solidifying their already existing characters.

The biggest difference and probably the greatest strength of the show is that Daredevil is an actual underdog, and the show has the time to explore that.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 12, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gilok posted:

Those panels make me want to punch Joe Quesada in the head.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Wait, so the Hand has a connection to the hidden cities?

Uh,, they're Japanese. :rolleyes:

But seriously, they could have, at least in the MCU.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Haha, when I read it, there was an article on gentrification at the bottom. It's like they're not even trying.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's how Sherlock is better than Sopranos :ughh:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sorvah posted:

It's true, even on the ridiculous scale of things, for all the genius of your Reed Richards and Tony Starks the general quality of life seems to be just as poo poo in comics as it is in reality.

Worse actually because of all the supervillains.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ShineDog posted:

The soul searching is a big part of comic Matt. It ended up really dragging in the midway however. Perhaps I've just had enough of the "WE'RE THE SAME YOU AND I" that features in literally every superhero fiction.

It's not cliche if it's actually true and not just a weak rhetorical flourish on part of the villain.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 14, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

NowonSA posted:

True, but in his position I'd rather have a cane closet than go rooting through garbage every week or so.

I would have liked his blindness to have seemed like more of a disability. The Daredevil movie did a lot wrong, but I liked that it showed how Matt kept track of what bills were what value, organized things with braille labels, and generally had his home life set up like a blind person has to. For me it was a humanizing moment that shows that despite having crazy reflexes and senses that make up for his lack of sight, he still has limitations. When 90% of your movie or T.V. show is your hero hearing things from halfway across the city or smelling nails in a box, it's nice to see the downside of things, rather than be told about it.

That's a minor complaint though, everything else was good, and I liked that they didn't leave anything on the table. They told a thorough story with a clear beginning and ending, weren't afraid to kill off characters, and gave Daredevil a clear origin that sets him up for whatever else he may do in the MCU, whether it's a second season, showing up as a member of the Defenders, etc.

I was really surprised they didn't explore the downsides of his sense more beyond the flashbacks. Even the movie showed him getting overwhelmed (granted, because it was very overstuffed).

LORD OF BUTT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybTJ7kUdb4

The blind people narration is seriously really cool, guys

Awesome, they straight up turned the show into a pulp novel.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

XboxPants posted:

Hahaha:

Apparently there's a bowling-themed supervillain named "Tenpin" with the same name as the assassin that Daredevil defends in 1x03, Healy, the guy that killed Prohaska with a bowling ball. Because of course there is.

:staredog: And I thought Silvermane was kind of out there

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Barry Convex posted:

JESSICA JONES PREMIERES IN FIVE AND A HALF WEEKS, WHY IS THERE NOT A PROPER TRAILER YET, goddammit Marvek

I am sure your prayer will move the corporate overlord to act.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
They spent some much time building things up that they forgot to have a satisfying conclusion that actually ties together the show's themes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

TheJoker138 posted:

It's almost as if it's just a season of a TV series and not a standalone thing, and they planned on continuing it in a second season or something. Too bad that's not happening and what we have is all that exists, though.

I am talking about the season's storyline, genius.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, I hated how in Breaking Bad they didn't wrap up that whole meth thing, or the cancer thing, at the end of the first season. I'm sure they'll never go back to any of the themes, characters, or events of season 1 ever again with Daredevil either, just like that show completely abandoned all that at the end of it's first season. It's all just going to be forgotten moving on.

Basically what you are arguing is that an initial season of a show shouldn't function on its own as a storyline or story arc.

What makes this even more absurd is that Breaking Bad S1 was cut short, which is why episode 7 is such an odd finale. But Breaking Bad S1 had a climactic episode (6), unlike Daredevil S1. Obviously the story isn't finished, but the first season is still satisfying as a story. Having story arcs with proper beginnings, middles, and ends is a basic part of storytelling, and it's just as important in a serialized format.

Daredevil's season 1 ended very badly because they built up a climactic battle of wills, and then didn't include it. it's more like if Luke and co destroyed the Death Star while escaping it in Star Wars, or if the Brothers Karamazov covered the murder and the trial in just one of its 12 "books".

While bringing down Kingpin's lieutenants one-by-one was good, Kingpin didn't have a proper "downfall", even if you view the whole season as it. The star witness who brings down Kingpin is only brought back in the same episode where his criminal empire is dismantled. It's a matter of scenes between him being mentioned again and Fisk's arrest. Daredevil S1 spent more time on talking about how outclassed the heroes were than actually showing them outclassed. Episode 13 simply isn't a satisfying enough of a finale. They didn't actually have the struggle of monumental wills that defines the characters' relationship in the comic. Daredevil calls the cops on Fisk, and then beats him up, in one episode. That's it, see you in season 2! Now obviously it's all going to come back, but the season simply doesn't have a proper climax.

Now this is all just so many words for a pretty simple problem: everything in episode 13 should've been expanded to cover two episodes.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 13, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Like you say, the story is essentially about class conflict. S1 constantly underlines the corruption of New York, establishing a class conflict between exploiters and the exploited - but then it completely drops it. FIsk is defeated by making him an outcast, even though it's his class that's corrupt, and not just him.

They made the story too radical for the MCU, so they probably never could end it satisfyingly.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The series establishes that society is wholly corrupt, and even people like Fisk are bound by its structures (compare his powerlessness in face of Vanessa's poisoning to Urich and his ill wife). Murdock and co win by calling the FBI on Fisk, but it's established that the FBI is also subverted by Fisk's operatives. Daredevil seems to be actually a defender of a corrupt status quo, as opposed to the socially radical Devil of Hell's Kitchen.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I think that's part of the problem myself, the show's Christian dimension also promotes a kind of status quo. Like the priest telling Matt how killing Fisk would poison his life.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Punisher is really a logical development of the Devil of Hell's Kitchen.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snak posted:

If by decent you mean full of hilarious and offensive stereotypes and with really obnoxious cliches. My favorite example from the first season:

*Bones and Angel go into a middle-eastern person's home and see a crucifix on the wall* "You're a Christian?!?!"
"Yeah, I converted after I moved to the states!" (because there are no middle-eastern Christians)
later, they search his house again and find his hidden Koran. "Oh my god, he's not a Christian!" and it turns out he is the terrorist.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that a nerd is a fascist weirdo. Just see Avengers for more proof.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zythrst posted:

What does Bones have to do with Avengers?

Hah, I misread and thought it was about Angel (by Joss Whedon). This being a Marvel thread.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Frank is so right he can't make left turns anymore.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I too trust reviews structured like Cracked clickbait.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Oh wow, finally an adaptation of Naoki Urasawa's Monster.

But seriously, that trailer makes it seem like it's all about Kilgrave's wacky shenanigans. I guess they just wanted a strong hook, because I doubt it's going to fill 13 hours.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

mikeraskol posted:

What do you think a trailer is supposed to do?

Laboriously explain the show and it's characters, provide thorough episode synopses, and inform that if you're interested you should consider watching the show, no pressure though.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 23, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"That torture wasn't dark at all"

:goonsay:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
But will the humour punch up instead of punching down? Really makes you think

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

Because rich white men making jokes about rape is hilarious all of a sudden?

Not "all of a sudden", but yes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

There's nothing political about not being an rear end in a top hat.

That is a weakness, not a strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
SJWs do it again.