Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Hinted but not in the least bit demonstrated.

You don't count the tiny old lady with superpowers as a demonstration of something supernatural?

(In an otherwise preternatural show, no less)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've always thought the biggest problem any potential Iron Fist series would have to overcome would be dealing with a white dude running around being a ninja or whatever -- particularly after Daredevil didn't do a fantastic job either. (Asians are all ninja assassins who want real estate. Great job guys).

But to fix that, you'd just cast an actual Asian dude in the lead role. Problem solved.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

tsob posted:

I agree with you on the whole, but I'm always going to be stumped why Reuben had a diaper on in the first place. Kinky sex isn't the only explanation, or even really the best one, but the fact he has it on does make it seem more likely regardless.

Because he actually is ill and can't look after himself. I'm not sure why Goons are making this more complicated than it is.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Deakul posted:

That's surprising coming from that cess pool of a website.

Sava will probably be doing weekly reviews though, so don't count your chickens.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Given that tripe is a bad thing to be described as, thats a good stance to have :confused:

Tripe is a noun. Nothing can be "less tripe" anymore than something can be "less stomach" or "less finger".

But you can describe something that you think to be poo poo as "utter tripe" or "a load of tripe", that's fine.

I suspect the word the original poster wanted to use was "trite".

Like, look, I'm not being a grammar nazi when I explain this, I'm just assuming you want an actual explanation.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ufarn posted:

It mainly annoys me because DDs1 seemed to get those things right, which made it feel someone started slacking off at some point. Or maybe that stuff just went away with Steven S. DeKnight.

The television industry boom might also be to blame. There have been a number of reports indicating that television has becoming increasingly short staffed in the various technical departments. I imagine good stunt people are getting stretched pretty thinly on the ground.

But I also imagine that losing DeKnight had something to do with it. He's always been particular about his action sequences, ever since his Buffy/Angel days.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Maluco Marinero posted:

It feels like one of those cases where either it got censored out or they couldn't execute it for whatever reason. Considering the violence of other punisher scenes it doesn't really feel like the former.

It's a budget thing. Netflix isn't exactly splurging on television anymore; they're going for quantity over quality.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Jessica Jones was good all the way through, though I think it suffered from having an OP villain who peaked in Episode 10 and who couldn't really escalate any further without becoming a cartoon. I cared about the characters, completely bought the drama, and enjoyed all the character work that the episodes involved. Arguments about killing Killgrave off partway into the season miss the point the show was making about violence and cycles of abuse, and furthermore miss a very basic plot point: Jessica isn't just trying to neutralise Killgrave, she's trying to prove he even has superpowers in the first place. A failure to do that would mean that she'd have condemned a woman to a lengthy prison term for something she didn't do, and, subtextually, represented a failure for Jessica to escape self-condemnation for the crimes she committed when under Kilgrave's mindcontrol. It has problems, of course, but I think it's by far the strongest actual show to come out of Netflix Marvel.

On the other hand, Luke Cage was complete rubbish. Episodes bled into each other with little in the way of structure and distinguishing content, the show fundamentally couldn't handle the fact that it has an overpowered hero driving the action (Mariah's off quoted speech about drowning Cage is remarkable not only for how logical it is, but also for the fact that no-one then tries to do any of the things she suggested!) and instead has characters repeat their various character motivations and interactions quite a number of times while winding down the clock on the season's length. The reason the early episodes are better than the later ones isn't because the plot is better in the early episodes; it's because we haven't heard Cottonmouth and Mariah have the same argument about not being seen at her club plus five times. The show was structurally confusing (why waste time on suggesting that Diamondback's a legitimate threat if you're going to dismiss him as a loser so thoroughly in the finale?) and ultimately quite boring. Mariah's psychodrama worked for me, and given that it ultimately ended up being the actual climax of the show, you have to wonder whether most of the stuff Luke did was even that useful in the end. (Which, yes, it deliberate irony on the part of the show, but also aggressively dismissive to the show's entire season.)

I'm actually interested in seeing where Scott Buck takes Irony Fist. I trust the critics, in that they don't like the early episodes of Iron Fist, but a) show's often take time to improve, b) critics can often be wrong, and c) I remember back when Scott Buck was a really respected writer working for Alan Ball's Six Feet Under and HBO's Rome. His Six Feet Under scripts are particularly good -- he wrote the Christmas episode, for one, and also 'That's My Dog', one of the most loving upsetting and disturbing episodes of television to ever be produced. Yes, latter Dexter is absolute poo poo -- but latter anything on Showtime is absolute poo poo. Those network executives are loving crazy, and are clearly meddlesome fuckwits determined to run their shows into the ground. I'm absolutely willing to give this show a chance based on all of that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So where should I watch AoS if I'm a big Marvel fan who was kinda meh on the first few episodes and just lost track? When does it start to shift from monster of the week to real story stuff?

Start with 13. 15's skippable, if that's what you're into, but 13's where the show gets quite good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Two episodes in, and it's pretty fun.

It's got better episodic structures than a lot of Netflix Marvel, that's for certain.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

VanillaGorilla posted:

Not to mention that Colleen is probably the best character on the show so far (I'm 4 episodes in) and is an extreme badass. Also worth noting that Danny is "instructing" her on a completely different martial art than she practices, and ends up being shamed by her for being a dickhead to her students in the same episode.

I dunno. I get that there are a ton of problematic aspects to the character of Danny Rand and Iron Fist, but it seems unfair to lay that at the feet of the show - they're working with the material at hand. Unless the argument is that Iron Fist is just a bad character, and shouldn't have been brought into the cinematic universe, which I guess could be valid.

He's also (episode five) somewhat controlling and selfish. They're deliberately troubling the relationship between the two, both out of the fact that he's rich and likes to throw his money around and because he's had some arrested development. He's half a young child, half a thoughtful, experienced adult. My guess is that he's going to gently caress this relationship up, and it'll be the show's way of navigating the fraught cultural baggage it's inherited.

Colleen's great, that too, though I'm really loving Tom Pelphy's performance as borderline psychopath Ward. (He's basically inherited his brother's role from Banshee).

Apparently Ward's a common name for psychopaths in the Marvel universe. Who knew?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Stagger_Lee posted:

I love the visuals, the music, and most of the actors in Luke Cage, but I've never watched a show with such dire dialogue. I'd rather watch Danny try to remember a character motivation for 1000 hours than deal with that show endlessly iterate on the same "philosophical" arguments, or try to spin catchphrases out of common words.

Or would repeat the same bits of dialogue with minor changes.

You know, it'd be far easier to believe that Mariah didn't want to be seen talking with Cottonmouth is she didn't go to his club every other episode seemingly just to tell him that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well in GoT he has, what, 20 minutes of screen time? And most of that was front loaded in the first three seasons.

Did he even have much of a reaction to Renly's death? I feel like that would be a go-to scene to judge his relative skills as an actor, but I don't think we get that much of a sense of him over the course of the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

adhuin posted:

Pretty much.
There is a good reason why most actors don't poo poo on their past jobs and co-actors publicly.
You look like hard to work with and lose future opportunities.

He's all but confirmed on Twitter that he's back next season, so this is super dumb.

Hell, even if he's not he's back, he's still making GBS threads where he eats. The only reason he's got a name as an actor is because Iron Fist had a poor reputation. If the show had been better, he'd not be getting nearly the same level of attention.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SHOAH NUFF posted:

There was a scene early on where the Japanese hand leader (who hunts bears or whatever) starts to put his gloves on to kill Sigourney Weaver's character after telling her she has failed and sucks, but gets interrupted by something and neither him nor Weaver mention it again in the show. Kinda weird and dumb

He was going to kill her because she was. in his opinion, chasing after a fool's errand by investing so much into Electra capturing the Iron Fist. So when Electra turns up with the Iron Fist he's not actually got any real reason to start a coup.

(Also, that episode makes it pretty clear that the five leaders of the Hand have made more than a few attempts on each other's lives. You can imagine that they'd be a bit more casual about it. Plus, Alexandra's permanently dead not ten minutes later, so it doesn't really matter.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's not exactly offbrand tbh.

But I guess it does show up this kind of cancellation gesture to be genuinely hollow, at least where Marvel's concerned. Sure, cancel a panel, but why lose money? Gun violence is just the cost of doing business. Fuckers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nah, he killed the mobsters too. It happens the next scene after the kid climbs out of the concrete hole. It's how Micro gets introduced, watching Frank on some CTV or whatever.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Granted they probably blew the entire seasons SFX budget on Ghost Rider, but he looks good.

I read that the most SFX intensive episode was the second last episode last season (the one where AIDA learns about rejection). Presumably because it has the flooding base sequence, the robots, and AIDA's amazing teleport sequence.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wooooo. Janet McTeer being in this season is what I'm most excited about.

(Shame she's not a regular, so she's probably not playing the season's villain. Booooo!)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

Surprised they still haven’t announced casting details, though.

Uh, not quite. They've not given away who most of the new actors are playing, but we know that Janet McTeer and David Tennant are recurring this season, and Leah Gibson and J.R. Ramirez are going to be new regulars.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

quote:

“With great power,” intones one character, in a line that I hope was at least a little tongue-in-cheek, “comes great mental illness.”

Author has lovely critical skills, so I'm not inclined to trust their judgement. Particularly as they seem unable to trust their own.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Also he was a marine who did Bl-Ops for the CIA, then he quit, so the CIA has his family murdered and put him in a coma and he woke up thinking it was a mob hit because that’s what they wanted him to think. It’s actually not that complicated.

By comparison: “what is the plot of Daredevil S2?”

Your Punisher description cuts out a lot -- it's basically all backstory -- but if you want to simplify DS2 similarly,

"Daredevil goes up against two rival figures that test the limits of his ethical code. He is eventually caught up in a conspiracy involving one of those rivals, and though he defeats it he is ultimately isolated from everyone in his life."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I forgot: why is there a hole in Jessica's wall that Malcom is fixing, again? Couldn't he fix it better than that? There's still a hole there.

The first part's been answered, but in terms of the latter; he's not repairing the wall back to being a wall, he's turning it into an open plan design.

(It's a metaphor, probably. Jessica's house isn't having it's door constantly caved in, but the internal stuff still needs work and she's not doing it.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I'm still blown away by how lovely the Whizzer's power effects were. 90% of these shows budgets is shooting in NYC I guess.

I'm certain this was the joke.

He's an overweight, lovely Flash.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

So he's a bad speedster so his effects work was lovely?

Yeah? It's a visual representation of his crapness. It's meant to make you laugh.

I mean, you clearly thought it was pathetic and laughable, and that was an essential part of this guy's character. It's classic show-don't-tell.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

The fact that a remake of a game from 2005 has better choreography than nearly the entire show is sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwHlln1ohKk

I mean, not really? Even mocapped, it's still digital choreography, it's not the same.

Iron Fist had some terrible choreography regardless.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

If Gotham doesn't have a shout out to this next season, it'll be an utter waste of the opportunity.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Awwh. I really liked the second season of Jessica Jones. I remember the thread reaction being initially negative, but I'd hoped that people would have warmed up to it over time. Apparently not?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

JJ S2 had its moments, but it should've been half as long and the end was mindboggingly stupid.

I found it interesting and tragic -- and also drat ballsy. Instead of a villain who's primarily defined by being a physical threat (pretty much every Marvel series villain) or an emotional threat (Kilgrave) you've got a villain who's largely defined by being psychologically damaging. Sure, Alisa can pack a punch, but she neither wants to be violent nor is in control of her violence in the first place. She's a victim of circumstance, and of the complete inadequacy of the Marvel universe to come to terms with the paradigm shift that presented by the emergence of superheroes.

Jessica, who's all to aware of this new brand of bureaucratic inadequacy, and who's still traumatised by the role she played in the death of Kilgrave (and Hope) is uniquely vulnerable to Alisa's influence -- and it's an influence that Jessica ultimately loses out to. Over the course of the season she shifts from trying to work with (or around) the law to finally breaking with it entirely, and ultimately (in what ends up being a recurring theme for the season) enters into a dangerous and destructive state of codependence. Hell, she becomes so psychologically dependent on recreating her childhood that she ends up voluntarily reinacting her enslavement to Kilgrave, without even realising it. Though she thinks she's doing good, in actuality Jessica's only acting to mitigate and enable a cycle of violence -- Alisa's mental state is destined to round and round like that Ferris wheel -- but this is something Jessica just can't see. Jessica doesn't end the season by beating up a bad guy because she's become the problem, and the only person she has the chance of saving is herself.

So I absolutely think there was a villain in the season. It's just bleaker and nastier and ultimately more personal than any other superhero show has tried to be.

(I also think it'll play out really well in future context, since a lot of the season seems to be positioning Jerri and Patsy to be future antagonists. I'd certainly not recommend skipping it.)

Blazing Ownager posted:

Even Ward's dumb plan to just walk up a mind control alien makes sense when you think back and realize he was trying to ally her with Hydra and that he was literally using May for cover, there was no love triangle.

He's also looking for an excuse to try and off May -- the first major hint we get to his double agent status is when his mind control takes longer to "wear off" than anyone else's, because he's using it as cover to neutralise his most dangerous opponent.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 31, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I think the show very deliberately was avoiding the "Frank Castle guns down minorities street thugs petty criminals and gets away with it and is a hero for doing so!" aspect of the character, and good on the writers for doing so.

It struck me as odd that Frank didn't kill that poor builder dude in the first episode. He was an armed gunman. Surely it's part of the Punisher's philosophy to kill people for violent crimes regardless of how sympathetic we might find them?

I mean, I didn't want Frank to kill the guy, but I was confused that he didn't -- particularly given the way this thread talks about the character. It also struck me as a bit safe.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

So how does Disney buying Marvel affect the Netflix MCU? Will all the Netflix IP's be ported to the Disney stream thing? Will they stay here? Like will all 8 Netflix MCU just be cancelled immediately?

Disney already own Marvel.

From what I understand, the Netflix shows are independent enough that they're staying where they are until Netflix's contract for those shows runs out. Netflix can continue to make as many seasons for the various series it already has for as long as it wants. It won't be making any new shows or spinoffs though -- those will probably turn up on Disney's independent streaming service.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

docbeard posted:

JJ S2 is the best thing Marvel Netflix has done and it's not an especially close margin.

I'd argue that it's definitely the most interesting thing. But I've not seen many commentators -- certainly not here -- who'd argue that it's the best. Could you say more?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

docbeard posted:

I was possibly trolling the teensiest little bit, but it genuinely is my favorite thing they've put out. I can totally see why others might not like it, though, especially if they were looking for something closer to a traditional superhero story.

It kind of hit the same beats for me that The Long Goodbye did (and, again, I suspect that it's not most peoples' favorite Chandler novel but it is mine). Jessica works so well as a fuckup who's trying to do the right thing whose biggest enemy is herself, and that's the kind of protagonist that really interests me, because that's the kind of protagonist who feels most real to me. The tension between who everyone thinks she should be and who she is, and between who she thinks she should be and who she is, it just really works.

Most of the conflicts are internal, or at least have their origins there; the reasons that Jessica, her landlord/love interest, Trish, her mom, Trish's mom, etc. clash with each other are entirely because their own inner demons splash out all over everything good they're trying to accomplish (Sometimes almost literally, specifically in the episode with the Kilgrave hallucination.) And sure, I love a good THIS PERSON IS BAD AND I MUST PUNCH THEM story as much as the next goon, but I also love this poo poo, and it's not something you often see in genre fiction.

I'm probably not articulating this very well. But yeah. There it is.

Nah, I think I follow you.

I think my favourite scene -- or at least the second season's most memorable scene -- stems from exactly this. The sequence where Patsy is "dying" in hospital while her mother is tying to comfort her is so loving disturbing. Not because you think Patsy is going to die; she's obviously not. I found it fundamentally upsetting because Patsy's mother can't seem to understand that everything she's telling her daughter, in what she thinks are her daughter's last moments on Earth, are the last loving things she'd want to hear. She loves her daughter, and desperately wants to comfort her, but she's probably only driving her further into sickness. Literally all she needed to say was that she loved her, and Patsy's too weak to fight through the bond the two share and deflect her mother's influence.

It's remarkably bleak and upsetting, and it's basically the final conflict between Jessica and Alisa expressed in a single scene.

Frankly, it's hard to imagine any other Marvel show that'd be capable of pulling off something similar. None of them are that interior, or place their hero's internal stakes on a similar level as their external ones. (Except Daredevil 2, like you said, though that ends up falling into the typical cliches of kill / not kill, and ends up, I'd argue, less interesting. It's a solved issue in a way I don't think these conundrums are.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

I stopped reading right there because that's some bullshit and Vincent D'Onofrio loving crushes every god drat scene he's in. His performance single handedly elevated the entire series from good to great.

His performance is great but the characterisation could often be broad. Those flashback scenes to his homelife in season 1 were weak.

D'Onofrio is very, very good though, particularly in Season Two.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

Well, it would be very hard to do worse :v:

Thus speaketh the man who has never watched Olympus. Or Inhumans, Runaways. Or, like, a lot of television.

Both Iron Fist and Defenders had some crap in them, but there's a lot worse fight choreography out there. And a lot of worse shows.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Serf posted:

into the badlands manages to put on 1 decent wuxia fight per episode with what looks like half the budget of these netflix shows.

Badlands does a lot of exterior filming, two fights every episode, a lot of extras, huge sets, Nick Frost. It's not cheap.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nearly finished the second season of Luke Cage and I can't decide whether the gender reversed Macbeth stuff with Mariah and Shades is OTT or on point.

Shades has an entire blood on his hands scene, complete with Mariah telling him to suck is up and get over it.

I'm interested to see how much of her arc maps onto Macbeth, actually. Could Cornell match King Duncan? Hmm.

Edit: Oh look! Ghosts! This rules.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 24, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

HIJK posted:

What's the over/under on the Punisher showrunner being pushed out so they can replace him with a Marvel yes-man

Well, they've finished filming Season 2, and apparently Netflix has that wonky deal where Luke Cage Season Three might be the last of their original Defenders content, so... less than zero?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kegslayer posted:

So going by the comments it seems like the show still isn't worth watching?

Rule of thumb: goons are generally very quick to claim something that they liked is now bad, but very slow to do the reverse.

I've only seen the first two episodes, but the show's entertaining and shows potential. For what that's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

he punches the bottom edge of a table to send it flying at one point

That's a pretty great practical FX shot, all things considered. It looked like they built a wobbly, bent of shape version of the table just to have it go flying through the air.

Edit: Toa Fraser, the episode's director, was pretty good throughout. I loved all the isolated close ups of the actors when Davos and Joy turned up to the dinner party in Episode Three. He also did the Blind Cannibal Assassins episode of Into The Badlands, so I'm keeping an eye on him.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 11, 2018