Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

radlum posted:

Can someone remind me why Kilgrave had Jessica kill Reva?

She was sniffing around Kilgrave's past I think, trying to tie it into the experiment that gave Luke his powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Paddyo posted:

The poster who brought up Power Rangers costuming was dead-on...

If you're going to make a comic book show you have to go all-in and respect your audience. I kind of thought the MCU understood that by now.

These are contradictory statements. The only way Diamondback's costuming could be more comic book was if it was in brighter colors.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

gninjagnome posted:

I thought it was because the Judas bullet also exploded and fragmented, not just penetrated his skin. I figured the mass produced ones wouldn't explode, so they'd be like normal bullets to Luke - able to break his skin, but would do less overall damage. The cops never even shot at Luke with the new ones, so we don't know if they'd even work.

I am pretty sure they did once, like right before the cop who got his hair cut at Pop's let Luke go. They shot at him, missed, and a chunk of wall exploded.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

bloodychill posted:

I'd argue it is mainly about corruption of a person by their actions or the people around them and where the line is that a person becomes ethnically compromised.

Somebody is caught up on The Good Place.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I thought they did a good job with how they handled Inspector Pricilla. She's introduced as this real officious, cliche internal affairs type, but by the end you realize she's a good cop trying to do right by the people, and isn't looking out to protect the department first.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Marvel released some details about casting for Punisher. They also said it's coming out next year.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I think it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that Turk is going to stumble across the four Defenders and then just nope the gently caress out.

What will be weird about Defenders is seeing Matt in the daredevil costume alongside all these superheroes who just wear what they rolled out of bed wearing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That sure is a glowing fist and dragon tattoo.

I'm in on the show obviously, but that was pretty generic Marvel Netflix

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

LadyPictureShow posted:

Is that Walton Goggins as a Neo Nazi?!
Among other things, go watch Justified right now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think part of Guy's complaint (and mine too) is that we're told that Diamondback is this guy above Cottonmouth who is his secretive, discrete supplier and that the mere mention of Shade's employer is enough to make Cottonmouth nervous, and that Shades is really only there as a go-between between Diamondback and Cottonmouth. But when Diamondback finally does appear, he clearly has lost his grip on reality outdoing even Cottonmouth's most cartoonish moments.

Well would you want to be around a guy that cuckoo bananas?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

DuhSal posted:

I noticed that too. They spent all that drama on getting the chest bullet out and then completely forgot about the one in the stomach. Unless I missed something.

Other way around as I recall, but basically yeah.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

tsob posted:

At least it'll be harder to break up couples like Reed and Sue Richards or Luke Cage and Jessica Jones since they have kids, and those would be more awkward to write out or break up.

The current Jessica Jones book seems to be putting that theory to the test.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

CainsDescendant posted:

I'll never understand the serious criticism of dumb superhero shows so many posters engage in round these parts. I guess I just like liking things.

Well like you said, Marvel Netflix does take itself seriously so it's to be expected that people will level "serious" criticism at it.

There's also nothing wrong with liking to like things.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Drifter posted:

Yeah, the laugh track in Iron Fist will be made up of an in studio audience. You only get one take, and one audience reaction.

They're filming thirteen'ish hours of content in the same amount of time it takes to make a feature film. Cheap, fast, good, pick two still applies.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

(it's the X-Men universe)

It might not even be that! All we know about Legion is that it's set in a world with mutants

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

HERAK posted:

Any links to the reviews then?

Here's Sepinwall take, he also says it is bad. On all levels, bad acting, bad writing, bad fight scenes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm really curious to see if they actually addressed any of that stuff in the show or whether they completely ignored it and carried on. You'd hope they'd be smart enough to incorporate it somehow.

Based on the review from Polygon. No they were not.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think the success of DD S1 is that they had one showrunner that had a consistent vision. For whatever reason, there seems to be two or three plot lines that run throughout DD Season 2 and they barely interact with each other until the very end.

The first season of Daredevil had multiple showrunners. First was Drew Goddard, who left early on to direct the never made Sinister Six movie, then Steven DeKnight came on board as his replacement.

And the second season of Daredevil had multiple plot lines as a response to the criticism of the first season, and Jessica Jones, of trying to stretch out a single plot over 13 episodes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Drifter posted:

Uhhh, with the caveat that FRINGE is actually good, though.

...people trying to compare AoS to Fringe for gently caress's sake... :rolleyes:

Yeah I like AoS a bunch, but the cast of Fringe acted rings around it. Everybody except for Pacey played at least three different versions of their characters. It was also a decidedly weirder show right out of the gate. In the pilot they tap into a comatose guy's memories with the help of home brewed LSD. Fringe was awesome.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I did like that Joy hired Jessica Jones to get dirt on the rest of the board.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Gyges posted:

Which is all ignoring that nobody involved in the show has any goddamn idea how companies work. Theoretically 51% owner Danny Rand could do all that since he can virtually run the company like a dictator, if we disregard the timeline. However the show believes that 51% owner Danny Rand can be power played by his board of directors and the 40%+ owning Meachum siblings can also be played while Danny is in control of his shares and not helping out with the play. Danny, Ward, and Joy should individually be able to tell the board to go gently caress themselves. They sure as poo poo can't be kicked out of the building and offered take it or leave it severance packages that totally removes them from the company.

I'm not entirely sure Ward & Joy controlled any stock in the company. At one point it gets mentioned that Harold left them hardly anything in the will, obviously because a) he wasn't dead and b) it was how he could control Ward.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

What the gently caress was Joy even doing. Why does she want Danny to die now, after meeting a random man.

This show makes no SENSE.

Joy had a pretty decent bead on her life until Danny shows up and then it's a never ending siege of weird, hosed up poo poo. Like her dad comes back from the dead, then he dies again, and ninjas shot her, and life was so much easier with her cabinet full of m&ms and a brother with a low grade addiction problem. So obviously Danny's got to die.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Miguel Prado posted:

I think we are getting a season of punisher after defenders, then DD S3.

Shouldn't the second season of JJ be next up after Punisher?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sounds like the second season of Jessica Jones is getting close to start production, if it hasn't already, since they've started to make casting announcements

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Piell posted:

Daisy is the worst and I hate her and her dumb dad

:staredog:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Longbaugh01 posted:

I'll bite back even though like I said above I don't have cable or watch things live, but if I did and had to make a choice between watching Agents Of Shield live and watching The Americans live ummm I'm definitely choosing The Americans. No question.

Except The Americans repeats itself immediately after every new episode, so you can watch a new episode of AoS and follow it up with a new episode of The Americans and not miss a dang thing. :eng101:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Longbaugh01 posted:

Honestly, I'd be fine with just hours of all four eating Chinese food and baggin' on Danny. Glad Stick/Scott Glenn will be back too (and also baggin' on Danny) because I think it's now scientific fact that Scott Glenn makes everything better. I'm a little wary of resurrected Elektra, but we'll see. Also, someone above said she might be an antagonist, but in that hallway fight scene it looks like she's with The Defenders.

Looked to me like she was stalking them in the hallway fight, and at one point kicks Matt through a door.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, no lockjaw?

I'm guessing Lockjaw is still rendering

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Why is Molly not wearing a hat? :argh:

In the trailer Hulu showed at their upfronts, she was wearing a hat.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

AngryBooch posted:

Leopold Fitz, not Nazis.

Giving Framework Fitz Richard Spencer hair and well-tailored suits was a real deft touch by the production staff. He was a total nazi

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Chill Penguin posted:

Just popping in to say that I own a Hydra t-shirt, copped on SA-Mart several years ago, and nobody has ever called me a nazi for wearing it. I wore it to the airport once and the TSA dude was like, "Hail Hydra."

Remarkably on brand for TSA

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I've been slowly rewatching Luke Cage when I'm at the gym, and I really do love Mariah and Shades' respective arcs in the season. Mariah unleashing her inner Mama Mabel, and Shades looking for a boss who isn't a complete loon.

And yeah, from the jump Diamondback is from a completely different show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Parkingtigers posted:

https://twitter.com/geeksofcolor/status/888061248251625472

There's a possible spoiler at the end. But I think you should watch it anyway. HYPE. It's Punisher

It's not a Defenders teaser, watched the English version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW0zzgdrPMA it's a promo for all the Marvel Netflix shows, including a taste of Punisher.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That looks real good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

marktheando posted:

Please can we have a moratorium on villains saying "we aren't so different"

In this instance at least it doesn't look like she says that to our heroes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/890927322664062976 Sepinwall says the team up stuff is good, but it takes too long to get to. JJ is great, Sigourney is great, Glenn is great, Danny remains the worst. He has reservations but will watch the remaining four episodes that Netflix didn't send out for review, unlike Iron Fist which he didn't finish.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Gyges posted:

Considering who kicked off the Netflix Marvel series and the identity of one of the main apparent antagonists it's is kind of surprising that Daredevil is apparently not the team anchor. He also seems like the most natural connective character after Claire to reasonably bring them all together.

It's because Matt has retired. But other than that, you're right, more roads lead through Matt than Danny.

Also, this was fun
https://twitter.com/TheLewisTan/status/891039468588683264
What could he possibly be referring to? :thunk:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

I know Jones has talked about having fifteen minutes to learn choreography, but what caused the mess in the first place?

Keep in mind that's not necessarily sign of dysfunction, it's apparently how most tv shows handle fight choreography. When you only have a week to film an entire hour of television you can't have your star spending days rehearsing one scene.

Now you could argue that since IF is a Netflix show they didn't have to shoot it like NCIS, but :shrug:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I dunno, Thor in the pet shop demanding a horse, or a dog of equal size, is pretty dang funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

An article is one thing you could have at least brought in someone to write pretty easily though.

Daredevil writer's room: "It's writing, we're writers, what could possibly go wrong?"