Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

I think the resources do draw from a pool, didn't they say they have XX number of episodes left in the original deal that have to be split between the shows?

The original deal was one season of each show capped off by Defenders wasn't it? I'd love to know what the original plan was for Defenders, because so much of it builds off of that second season of Daredevil, which was not part of the original plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Looks like Jessica Jones and crew get to keep making terrible life decisions.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/993490890051194880

I'm sure it will fall into all the usual Netflix traps, but drat that's a nice trailer.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He’s not credited on IMDB but was that Reg E Cathey as the preacher in the trailer?

Yes, it's apparently his last performance, and he's playing Luke's dad.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

esperterra posted:

I still haven't finished it tho so maybe it gets more fun and campy in the back half but I'll prob never bother with it.

Well Diamondback is certainly campy...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

There's some good stuff going on in the Defenders, but it's entirely the characters pinballing off of each other, the actual plot is extremely blah.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

in episode 6 Luke actually saying "Where's my money honey?" made my night.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

It'a also Strike Back!

Strike Back made me actively question Alan Sepinwall's taste. What a loving ugly, odious show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

We promise guys, the fights will be better this time.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1034810720460963840

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I finally got around to watching the last couple episodes of Daredevil season 3 and it was fine! I especially liked how Vanessa is still all "Hell yes let's do crimes, that's hot" it's a nice twist on how the love interest of the crime boss reacts. And it felt like a perfectly fine series finale too, resetting back to a classic status quo for continuing unseen crime fighting.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Hellcat's backstory is a bit of a mess. As far as I recall, she started as a fan-girl for superheroes, so that checks out in the TV series too. Eventually she got hold of some super suit. Later on, she was trained by some alien in psychic combat, then later on, I think she died, and came back with supernatural powers.
It's even more weird, the only Marvel properties older than Patsy are like Captain America and Namor. The first Patsy Walker comic came out in 1944.

I thought there was some pacing weirdness to the season, but on the whole I liked season 3, and I really will miss the characters and the actors who played them. The writing didn't always support them, but there was some amazing work being done in these shows.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I put on the first episode of the defenders the other day and was surprised at how good it was. It's very efficient at catching you up with the characters and you don't yet know what a let down the actual threat to the city is going to be.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I will say this for all the seasons of JJ, it was committed to the exploration of the effect of trauma, and specifically abuse, on people, and how some people can rise above it, and others get subsumed by it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Glass of Milk posted:

That's a great way to put it. I just think LC and JJ suffered from being cancelled and trying to wrap everything up at the end quickly.

Iirc, none of the shows knew they were going to be cancelled when they were making their ultimately final seasons, though my recollection of the timeline of what came out when and what got cancelled when is fuzzy. And I certainly wouldn't say LC wrapped everything up quickly, that was definitely a show that was expecting a third season. I believe Melissa Rosenberg said she was leaving JJ after the third season, so that sort of naturally had a concluding feel to it, but even there it was left fairly open to more stories.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I still haven't finished the last season of Punisher.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm still annoyed they made Madame Gao a member of The Hand.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I suspect they didn't have any plan for Black Sky beyond looking for a reason to have Stick want to kill a kid. Making Elektra a Black Sky flowed from there because of course you want an instance of the pro kid murder guy going soft and protecting one kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It is sort of wild to think that a single season of any of the new Disney+ Marvel shows costs roughly the same as the original five shows across sixty episodes deal with Netflix.