Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Apparently iron fist blows chunks. Early reviews are brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

IGN, Verge, Variety, Hollywood Reporter among others gave their reviews.

That trickle has now been a goddamn avalanche. Just type in "Iron Fist Reviews" and its hard to find a positive review. At all.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Luke Cage vs Jessica Jones brawl in JJ was pretty solid though. I enjoyed that more than most of Luke Cage's action sequences. Bring the Ruckus was incredible and a great companion piece to Daredevil's hallway scenes.

But holy poo poo, the final Diamondback vs Luke fight scene is AWFUL. Really, everything with Diamondback feels like it was shuttled from a different, worse show. Particularly liked how there was like five times where the show presented him dead to rights with his enemies finally pinning him down... and then he pulls out Two guns and dives and suddenly he's got Plot Armor.

Every Netflix Marvel show has had pretty huge pacing issues, which is a trademark of Netflix's development cycle across all genres. I'm just shocked that there's no point of view in Iron Fist whatsoever.

Like as much as I had issues with Luke Cage, I totally understand why the showrunner was given a pile of money and told to go nuts. Those early barbershop scenes alone...

Daredevil spliced its traditional "white dude punches things" with Catholic Guilt and a really interesting dosage of class issues. And while JJ is indeed the most polarizing show (great word for it), it felt so totally created by a team that had things to say and wanted to say them OUT LOUD.

Iron Fist just seems to have totally missed the memo. Arrow was pitched as "Batman Begins but for a TV show and with a small budget". And that premise? Worked goddamn well and spawned a whole side universe of batshit crazy stories.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Drew Goddard wrote the pilot and left fairly early in Season 1's development process. I remember reading that he left when they had VERY roughly outlined the first half of the season.

DeKnight then came in and provided a clear vision for the season.

Season 2 had a "clear vision" from two dudes and it totally failed to cohere. We can all debate if the Punisher/Elektra stuff worked or not, but there's a consensus that the last 1/3 was a trainwreck.

I also felt like Season 2 had no idea what it was "about", largely losing the gritty urban feel of the first season for a generic superhero tale.

Castle's monologue in episode 4 might be my favorite moment in the entire Marvel franchise, but Punisher's Lethal vs NonLethal Force is a well-worn cliche.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

As written, Danny is incredibly unlikable. A great actor (or a well cast one) could rise above that with enough charisma,

Finn Jones is not that man.

A 100% misfire from casting. I don't necessarily think that the Netflix Marvel Universe has great actors, but they've all been incredibly well-chosen and meshed well together.

This is basically Arrow with a bigger budget but markedly worse writing and an utterly unappealing cast. Arrow's dialogue has never been the best, but at least its characters motivations (particularly in early seasons) have always been clear and reasonably well thought out.

On the plus side, this has made me appreciate Stephen Amell's performance 100x more than before.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Fun Note: Its a longstanding practice that Marvel doesn't send out sample scripts for auditioning actors. Instead, interested agents visit Marvel's Super Duper Secret Script Room where they are allowed to read the Sides and then later submit their best actors.

A friend of mine worked in the industry and has some fun stories - its how I ended up reading the Black Lightning script a few weeks ago. (Short version: Its not great).

Anyway, quite a few agents went to Marvel's Script Room, read the Iron Fist pilot, and.... went back to their stable of actors and told them all to stay away from this dumpster fire.

I've watched every season of 24. I know bad TV.

How do you cast an actor who clearly has no martial arts background? I'm watching Nikita right now, and to be fair the writing is basically jargon mixed with terrible platitudes, an inane cast, an anemic budget - but goddamn Maggie Q as the lead. Her experience shows in each and every episode.

Same thing when Arrow cast Caity Lotz.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq6TlH7ABkc

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The best part has been every fight scene reminded me of a vastly superior action sequence from another show.

So far I've rewatched chunks of Banshee, Arrow, and Nikita. Anyone else have some good suggestions?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The No Killing rule is especially odd given that Daredevil's first season handled it well. He won't actively try to murder people, but he's also not going to cry himself to sleep because some shitbag took a header down some stairs.

Then Season 2, with new showrunners, suddenly he's pleading with Castle like he's goddamn superman. Murdock should have a problem that The Punisher is shooting up his neighborhood and mass murdering folks left and right, but that was tonally off from the get go.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My favorite piece of action storytelling is how Matt changes his fighting style as he fatigues. He always starts with fancy flips and poo poo, before eventually curling his body into a boxing pose.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I don't get why people poo poo on Jessica Jones' fights.

Her fight against Luke Cage was great, as was the Patty vs Captain Roided apartment scene.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

In retrospect, Diamondback's "character" is far more damaging to Luke Cage than the Hand suddenly wrecking Daredevil's season two. Just a spectacular tonal misfire.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Defenders should give us a good idea if Finn Jones can portray a decent Iron Fist. I'm hoping for something similar to the Avengers, which redeemed Thor after Hemsworth had to swallow the awfulness of the first Thor film.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just watched the Iron Fist pilot. I want my money back. Or my time. Or really anything at all.

I'd love to know how Scott Buck pitched the show to Netflix. Like, what was his original vision for the show?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Finally watching Iron Fist because a) I hate myself and b) I have a lot of data entry for work to do, and need something mindless to watch in the background.

The first two episodes are atrocious across the board. But episode three perks up, and might as well be the pilot.

What caused this sudden upswing? I had to look it up and confirm, but its the first episode not written by Scott Buck.

How that man gets work baffles me.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its incredible how unlikable Danny Rand is. And well most of that is on Finn Jones, its not like he's given a ton to work with.

Danny's childlike glee would be more believable if he had been swiped as a toddler, not as an adolescent. He's just repeatedly an entitled twat, and I don't think the show has any awareness of it.

Like how he wants Rand Industries to sell a medication at cost. Fighting price gouging is great, but bankrupting the company is not. They even have a board member mention that a good chunk of profits go towards new research, but Danny just sashays in like a shithead and then leaves.

The biggest issue is that I have NO IDEA why he actually returned to New York. I thought he was sent there to fight The Hand, but when he first hears about them he's apparently surprised they exist at all. So he just like.... showed up? To... run his Dad's company? And.... forget his Iron Fisting?

Its just weird, man.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Are there any good comprehensive accounts of just how cocked up Iron Fist's production was? I know Jones has talked about having fifteen minutes to learn choreography, but what caused the mess in the first place?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Daredevil's suit allows an actual stuntman to stand in for Charlie Cox. Therefore, Iron FIst should have some sort of face covering just to give poor Finn Jones a break.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That's a better costume than Danny "Just Got Back from My Gap Year" Rand.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Jessica's costume is the sweet smell of bourbon.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Thor 2 is actually decent. Its literally just a generic Marvel movie (mileage may vary), but its entertaining enough and uses its characters well. The first Thor movie is probably the worst mainstream Marvel film by a fair margin for a ton of reasons.

Iron Fist has a bafflingly terrible first two episodes. Almost unwatchable and a true miss across the board. It then picks up a bit and falls into a "tolerable enough to watch because I'm a completist" category.

On another note, I've literally no idea why anyone thought an Inhumans TV show was a good idea. They're a tremendously hard group to portray well in any format, let alone television.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So when does this actually release?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

poo poo. I still got six episodes of Iron Fist to crank out. :(

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm going to assume that the opening scene is a homage to Iron Fist's horrific choreography and not a sign of how bad the action will be.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Through the first three episodes, and they've gone after Iron Fist's flaws with surgical precision. He's even damned impressive in a fight.

The action is on point too, with the exception of that bone jarringly awful episode 1 sequence. Like holy hell, how did anyone think that was a good idea?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The action sequences are the most inconsistent thing I've seen in ages. They're almost all either Daredevil-tier goodness or completely terrible Iron Fist jump-cut horror.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

It takes a good long while to get going, but the middle section (3-6?) deliver upon all the promises that The Defenders held.

And then the final two episodes poo poo the bed. Hard.

Where the hell did the budget go? The dragon bone set looked like it was made out of styrofoam. And was I the only one thrown that our heroes never actually throw down with ninjas? Daredevil's second season had a goddamn car chased by literal ninjas with bows and arrows. Instead they just fight like... dudes with sticks. Shaky cam bullshit indeed.

I've got to seriously consider if "heroes throw punches in the dark" is worse than Diamondback, and that should say it all.

And man alive, did they lose the thread with Matt during the finale. Again. He's fighting Elektra but then they talk? And then they fight? And then Matt decides to commit suicide by explosion, for reasons unknown.

That said, a special award should be given for the parking garage fight. That is the most incoherent clusterfuck of an action sequence I've seen in years.

So basically, this ends up sitting roughly next to Daredevil's season second. Some really great material and moments right next to the occasional awful dialogue and nonsensical plot choices. All of which lead to a frankly gently caress-awful finale.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Why does Defenders not have the team fight actual ninjas at ANY point. All of a sudden all the mooks are dudes in suits for no reason.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If "embracing their comic roots" means borrowing dragon bone sets from Power Rangers I think I'm good.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I liked how the Defenders first handles Karen and Foggy. Treating him like an addict is great, especially because it lines up so well with Matt's own reasons for being out there.

But then the poo poo hits the fan and they literally have to hide everyone's loved ones in a random police room (drat does that room get a lot of use in this season) just to keep them alive. And Karen is STILL there whining about how Matt's doing it for cheap thrills.

If he was punching random street mooks I think that concern is warranted; the scene between Foggy and Matt at the bar is a perfect distillation of their friendship. But now that we've got ninjas and dastardly plots, it would have made way more sense for Karen and Foggy to get on board. Plus, it would've demonstrated just how serious the threat is.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

"CW Level Production."

You mean, like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvTPpP58SaE

That's the big fight for their big rear end crossover last year. And while there's a lot of cheesy CGI, I can at least tell what the drat hell is happening.

Which is more than I can say for anything in the last two Defenders episodes.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Nerd fandom spends a lot of time bitching about how planned out the new Star Wars universe is.

The Defenders is what happens when no one coordinates with each other. As mentioned, the Hand is presented entirely different in each series. Its a shame too, because I thought the early entries did a good job building up this corner of Marvel's world.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Someone mentioned that the fight coordinator from Daredevil's first season peaced out and left. Where did he go? Because I'll watch anything that man does, because holy good goddamn is that legit.

Arrow had a related story where they keep giving more creative control over to their stunt coordinator and the results have been fantastic. The show still has a tendency to lean on shaky cam here and there, but their best stuff can keep up with Netflix's inconsistency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOzUvw4kEIM Clearly done on a network budget, but damned solid.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

But the hits are really impressive hits; I would actually consider that clip to be one of the more generic action scenes on the show and not one of the better ones.

It's just unfortunate that you have to endure the rest of Arrow's...considerable foibles...to get to those scenes.

What do you think are Arrow's best fights? They've done so many over the years.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

1/2 the thread: The plotting in The Defenders blew, and the fighting scenes are a clusterfuck, what happened with the entire franchise?
Other 1/2: The CGI on that hand looks awful.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its kind've impressive that the Hand's bland shittiness wrecked a full half of the Netflix Marvelverse.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That Mariah scene is still the funniest thing ever.

"The police need to stop beating our black brothers in the streets!"
Yeah!
"And people like Luke Cage are making us collateral damage!"
Yeah!
"So let's arm the police with even more powerful weapons!"
Yeah! Wait, what?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Hand > Diamondback.

I said it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Punisher video game is a loving blast too.

It starts out with generic "Frank Castle murders mobsters" but quickly goes nuts. You travel to a tropical island to kill rogue russians with Nick Fury. You shoot up Stark Industries and fight bootleg Iron Man suits. Its legitimately awesome and a drat shame it doesn't get more love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

JawKnee posted:

oh poo poo you talking about the old arcade side-scroller? I remember that game, that game loving ruled

I was talking about the original xbox/ps2 entry, but I forgot about the badass sidescroller too.