Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The best part is that the Danny Rand in Defenders is a massive improvement from his own show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm like eight episodes in and we've had one real major action sequence.

I'm not necessarily complaining, its just a fascinating choice to make. I think Jessica freakin' Jones had a higher amount of action.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Cythereal posted:

This version of the Punisher is so goddamn human. Which is a real rarity for the character, Marvel lucked out hard with the casting.

Is the "going home" scene where Frank breaks down in the graveyard?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There's more character development in Netflix's The Punisher then almost decades of comics stories. Ennis' run is good stuff, but its all too often more about how The Punisher impacts the world around him.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Bernthal is easily the best Netflix lead, much as I like Mike Colter. And looking at Bernthal's stature and physical build, you'd never think to choose him over some 80s Steven Seagal beefcake.

Bernthal captures elements of Frank Castle that I've never even thought existed. Yes, he's good in an action scene. The way he ROARS and grunts is gratifying and deeply upsetting.

But notice how good he is when he's with Micro's family. Frank is a hollowed out shell, but Bernthal gives special care to those sparks of humanity that flicker ever so faintly.
----
Charlie Cox isn't an outstanding actor, but he gives a great performance as Murdock. He finds the three trifecta's of Murdock's personality immediately - charm, assholery, and guilt.

Kristen Ritter is good stuff too, and I'm most curious to see her take on season two. She did a good job of exploring Jessica's trauma, but next season will hopefully call on her to show a few different notes.

Colter probably has the toughest task since Luke Cage is such a morally upright kinda dull dude. He's okay I guess, more than able to carry his weight but not quite good enough to carry Luke Cage through its weaker moments.

Finn Jones, bless his heart.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its fun how we used to have some diversity with conversation drift, now it just inevitably turns into making GBS threads on Iron Fist.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Alan Sepinwall's criticisms are roughly mine though. The pacing issues have only gotten worse, and The Defenders was a rambling mess of a series.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Watching the latest seasons of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones simultaneously. Holy poo poo is Jessica Jones slower than even Netflix's "gently caress You And Your Sense of Basic Structure" design.

I could not give less of a solid flying gently caress about the conspiracy that the season keeps throwing at me. I'm only a few episodes in but I'd be 100% happier if the show just went in a more episodic direction with her solving cases and the season's thread slowly gaining prominence.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

People forget that Daredevil season 1 had some fantastic commentary on gentrification and the way that fathers pass on violence to their sons. I particularly loved how they tweaked parts of Matt's origin to really drive home their thematic weight while still making Matt into the catholic rear end in a top hat we all know and love.

I just love the idea that Matt's Dad always wanted better for his son, and Matt largely achieves that - but then he throws on a costume and beats the poo poo out of random criminals. The way that Season 1 depicts how Matt's fighting style slowly degrades into boxing slugfests is one of the best "Characterization through action" riffs I can imagine.

I came to post here because I'm still chugging through Season 2 of Jessica Jones and gently caress this nonsense. I peaced out of Iron Fist early (And I've watched every season of Arrow, for reference), which had absolutely nothing redeeming. JJ has Ritter's goddamn great presence, but at this point the pacing is actively loving me over with no rhyme or reason.

I've seen the first few of Luke Cage season 2, and it is also paced... leisurely. But there's an intention to the show's pace, and why it wants to sit you down at Harlem's paradise for a few scenes.

Meanwhile, JJ somehow spends loving eons on duller than dull material, while whizzing (hah) right past any of the more interesting beats. Malcolm trying to hold down Alias investigations while Jessica is gone for an episode or two? DOWN. But instead we've got the writers depicting every.single.moment of Trish's relationship with Griffin - and yet it skips over the actual breakup because gently caress you, that's why. That missing link and completely repetitive scenes mean I'm suddenly watching Trish as an addict with very little build up or justification. The actual inciting incident is at the 100 minute mark, for gently caress's sake.

And then! Then! We FINALLY get some movement chugging along and there's real suspense being built. And episode six climaxes with a legitimately great and earned payoff. Huzzah, I say! Huzzah!

And the entire next episode is a repetitive and duller-than-poo poo flashback episode. gently caress. This. Noise.

Defenders went off the rails hard, but Jessica Jones' second season can't even find the loving train station.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What shows even offer good solid action scenes outside of Daredevil and Banshee?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Goddamnit Luke Cage, what is it with Netflix deciding to go with some pretentious rear end in a top hat director for key episodes?

Episode 12 of Luke Cage is basically the climax of the season and the directing is total poo poo throughout. Super distracting "artsy" shots throughout, and the big action setpiece is all over the place.

Alfre Woodard is like the only reason why this season works as well it does; her character arc is stuttery as hell.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What night does this actually premiere? Is it midnight on friday night?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I work in politics and am currently having an 94 hour work week but to hell with it, I got some Bud Light and I'm ready to rock tonight!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

First two episodes are definitely slow, but I think they're justified. The show needed a chance not just to check up with every character but really reset their arcs after the clusterfuck that was season 2.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What was up with "Hello Karen, nice to see you again" at the end of episode six? I thought those characters hadn't met.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm super OCD with TV and watch everything with subtitles. I can't really multitask so if I'm watching anything deeper than basic reality tv or game shows I constantly have to rewind and watch everything intently.

Drives my girlfriend absolutely insane.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If for whatever reason this is the last season of Daredevil than I'm a) sad but b) happy that we got relative closure.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

It bums me out that the season two version of Punisher would now have totally murdered the poor construction worker kid in the first episode of the series.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've mentioned this before, but a friend of mine periodically works as a casting assistant in Hollywood. And yeah, Marvel is notoriously strict with how they handle their scripts.

Even for TV, agents/assistants walk over to a random location, hand over their cell phone, and then have a limited amount of time to read the side for whatever side they're currently looking to cast.

Marvel's contracts are pretty heinous and super-limiting, to the point where actors occasionally ask to not be considered for the roles. They also don't pay all that well either.

Anyway, pretty much every agent would go over and see the Iron Fist excerpt and immediately tell everyone else to avoid the project like the plague.

To be fair, Jessica Henwick has had a pretty great run from IF, so its not the worst career move to make.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Cinemax's Warrior, though a period piece, does fight scenes exactly how Iron Fist should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I feel bad because I hear great things about Daredevil season 3 (and I even liked season 2 and parts of Defenders!)... but every time I try to start I forget how loving slow these shows are.