Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

esperterra posted:

e10 (and also born again I guess ??): I'll admit my butt was kinda clenched for a lot of the church fight b/c while I do not believe they will kill Karen on this show, there was still the slim chance they might!! I really dug the imagery of her cradling Matt after the fight, ffs as she does it she even says 'he's gone' in relation to Bullseye getting away. Clever girls, DDS3. Clever girl.

For all the chatter right before the season started that they were only using Born Again as a loose inspiration, they sure are taking a lot of poo poo directly from it lmao. It's definitely doing it's own spin but way more faithful than I expected. Little tings like having Rev. Paul jump in front of Karen instead of Karen in front of Matt. Hell, they even worked in a Karen on drugs storyline by making it her past lmbo, and had her simply confirming Kingpin's suspicions about DD being Matt rather than having her sell the information for drugs and it get to him that way. I appreciate an adaptation that moves things around/does mostly its own thing but keeps it faithful in other ways.

Also in general all the stuff w/ Maggie is v good. I haven't felt bored or like my time has been wasted yet in 10 episodes.

I don't really read the comics, but based on what you're saying, every single change from the comic book saga is a huge improvement.

Anyway, I dunno how I feel about Daredevil season 3. It was "okay", but very reactionary, and I really didn't enjoy their take on Bullseye (should I even spoiler this? going to, just to be safe). Admittedly, it might have been accurate to some saga/rendition of the character, Daredevil definitely wasn't one of the superheroes I used to read, but all in all, I just think the character didn't quite work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Considering how much of a wet fart Russo's arc was, I wish all of season 2 was about Pilgrim. The character wasn't exactly extremely well-written (felt pretty underwritten to me, to be honest), but he grew on me largely due to the actor's performance. They could always keep the psycho therapist and cast her in a different role story-wise, like... I dunno... an anti-Curtis who makes Frank indulge his worst impulses.

I mean, at the very least, that would help me rationalize why they decided to end the show on a triumphant show of the Punisher shooting low-level criminals. I guess they think that the status quo is actually VERY GOOD? But that doesn't explain why Madani became a CIA operative. It's a mess in terms of tone and politics, feels like a 180 from the first season.

There are still a whole bunch of aspects of the season that I enjoyed. Episode 3 was incredibly good. Curtis was a great presence. Pilgrim chews the scenery every time he's in a scene. But I dunno. Overall, a disappointment.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 18, 2019

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Davros1 posted:

One thing that bothered me was at the end, when Madini calls and asks Frank to join her at the CIA, and he says "Nope", and that's the end of it.

The very first arc of the Punisher MAX series was Frank being taken into custody to try and persuade him to join the CIA and kill terrorists. It was a brilliant story, and they flushed it down the toilet.

Two weeks and I didn't notice that I hosed up the spoiler tags there. :argh:

Anyway, I have to admit I don't know much about comic book Punisher and his story arcs, but I'm kinda glad he just rebuffed Madini there. For all that I really disliked Frank's arc in this season, the TV character doesn't seem like the type of character who would work for the CIA, given his history and morals*.

* granted his morals and code didn't make any sense this season, so heeeeeeeeyyyyyy

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mulva posted:

Like that will always, always be the most baffling choice for me: Why in the name of unholy rear end did they think it was a compelling choice to make their lead character a petulant moron that doesn't even know how their own magic powers work?

I think if handled right, this could have been compelling. Danny would have bene not the big white savior who explains kung-fu to people who've been practicing it all their life, but someone who lucked out into his powers and had to learn how to use them responsibly and balance the philosophy they represent with his own understanding of the world. I think it could have been a fresh take on Iron Fist.

None of that requires bad choreography or any of the creative choices made with Netflix Iron Fist, by the way.