Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In regards to the child not being resurrected I have a few potential explanations. First he has no training so it's worth more to just forget about him and find a different Black Sky. Second they realise Stick is active again and decide Elektra is back on the table, they knew she was with him and were waiting for him to show his hand. Third they need to prepare people beforehand for the normal resurrection methods that Nobu and the Hand use but the Coffin is special, they dug the hole because the Coffin was lost there in ancient times or it's some sort of ninja Magic hotspot that will allow the Coffin/Black Sky ritual to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Part of the stuff about Bruce Banner's Hulk is it's meant to be representative of repressed rage at his father and the fact that he had to stand there and take abuse without having the strength to act on his anger. At least that's the version I always liked. I'm pretty sure in the MCU he was trying to replicate the Captain America process, which was described to take what was inside and put it out. Good becomes Great, Bad becomes Monstrous, Anger becomes the Hulk.

So if they really want to drive this angle they could totally make Amazonian She-Hulk reasonable, if the entire thing is she's confident and in control and mentally healthy then why wouldn't she get a perfect body like Captain America, but because the process isn't fully correct it gives green skin and bigger size.

The whole thing is this is what she always was on the inside, but the process made it the outside and she loves it, which is why she doesn't turn back unlike Bruce. Who is deeply disturbed by how much repressed rage he has and how it manifests.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The worst part of the finale is there was a potentially amazing scene where Frank Castle picks up that Gatling Gun in the shed and just murders a whole bunch of Ninjas, it absolutely should have been in the show, and it isn't.

I could've forgiven a lot of the ending if the literal army of Ninjas just got mowed down by a Gatling Gun.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I will say that this show at least does 1 on 1 fights pretty well, a couple of them are really great too, and I'd argue that one particular fight is in the contender for best 1 on 1 fight any of these shows has had. It's the Drunken Master fight.

Also I think this show really does get weighed down by the choice of actor for Danny, because he just doesn't work as well as another choice probably would've. It doesn't help that I'm so used to actors looking really close to how I imagine the various Marvel people should look and Danny just doesn't match what I think when I think Iron Fist.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I enjoyed the entire thing a lot, having just finished it. Not too happy about Sigourney Weaver's character as I'd heard rumors that would've been more interesting than what we got but she was still great and the show as a whole is consistently above average for a Netiflix Marvel Show.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Lurdiak posted:

In what universe was Sigourney Weaver's character an exciting new villain?

The universe where instead of being a normal immortal leader of the Hand she's actually Mefisto summoned using the Black Sun's power. You can keep the Elektra Resurrection by the Hand stuff and explain it as Stick was using specially enchanted Arrows to remove the Black Sun power from that kid he killed and thus Elektra being taken means they can resurrect her with the Black Sun Magic still in her. Makes the Black Sun something more than just a better Ninja Fighter too and explains the Hand's Evil as being a cult to Marve's Demon Ruler of Hell.

Also remove the Dragon Bone stuff and instead have their Immortality etc all be Demon Ninja Magic. Black Suns are "children" of Mefisto somehow.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I’m pretty sure the point of that scene is they’re both drunk and happy and they’re wondering what seeing faces is like for Matt, I recall them both doing it and at no point does Karen pretend Foggy is Matt.

I could be very wrong and have misread the scene a whole bunch and forgotten some of it and if so I apologise for that. They both just seemed to be interested in how Matt perceives the world and people to me. Foggy even wonders how Matt always finds the attractive women.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 15, 2017

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It's a good thing Jessica Jones is not primarily or even secondarily an Action show then. It's a psychological drama about superpowers.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Billzasilver posted:

Inhumans are distantly related to space aliens. Jessica jones, daredevil, and Luke cage all got their powers from crazy science experiments and chemicals.

In the comics, 99% of those crazy science things are an attempt to either create a new captain America or a new hulk.

And sometimes making the Hulk is an attempt to create a new Captain America.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Sigourney Weaver should have been Mephisto and the Demon worshipped by The Hand. Have their plan be using a resurrected Electra as the Vessel/Sacrifice for the Summoning. Keep the hand unrelated to K’un Lun and don’t make Madame Gao one of the members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I still can't believe they cast Sigourney Weaver in the Defenders and didn't have her be the mortal shell of Mephistopheles. Which sets up the perfect reason for the Black Sky to matter, it's a human who can safely house Mephistopheles, which the Hand need because Sigourney Weaver's character is about to finally pass away after like, several centuries of leading. Remove the other Hand Leaders and focus down on this conflict where the Hand revive Elektra so she can become the new Mephistopheles host.

Of course, that does ultimately mean the show still has Elektra in it, but I can't imagine this story being worse than the one we got and it totally gives a great reason for the Black Sky to be important that isn't can do magic kung-fu real good.

It even manages to kind of tie into at least three of the characters story beats. You have the obvious Iron Fist vs Hand thing going on, you have Daredevil fighting what amounts to Marvel Satan (Catholicism yo) and Jessica effectively is trying to save a woman from a traditionally masculine character taking over her life quite literally. Just need some way to get Luke Cage a connection and the entire thing is thematically golden, or at least a well polished bronze.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 1, 2021