Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

But will the humour punch up instead of punching down? Really makes you think
Because rich white men making jokes about rape is hilarious all of a sudden?

The political correctness gone mad crew out in full force today.

enraged_camel posted:

I just don't get why people like you have so much fun making GBS threads up TV/IV threads with their nonsense political correctness bullshit.
Case in point.

I know it's threatening when people who don't agree with you express concerns that something might not be handled in the best way, but when you ragepost about it or get all glib and dismissive, you don't also get to claim that the person expressing concern is the one making GBS threads the thread up.

I agree that the trailer looked great, and I'm hyped as all gently caress, but I am also concerned about how the show is going to handle PTSD. Those positions aren't mutually exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

And who is the arbiter of that difference? You?

I've seen this a million times on the internet. Somebody voices concern. A million voices cry out "RACISM ISN'T A THING ANYMORE!" or some equally flagrantly false bullshit, and when the initial raiser of concern responds, you get to yell "STOP ARGUING! YOU'RE MAKING EVERYTHING HOSTILE!"

But it wasn't them. It was the other people. And the blame gets shifted to somebody who just had a few misgivings about some poo poo.

It's happening right now. You're doing it as we speak.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

Can you look at it from my perspective, please? I know nothing about Jessica Jones, I came into the thread looking for information about the show, and instead I have to wade through some loving bullshit debate about the show's portrayal of PTSD and whether it's politically correct.
There's nothing political about not being an rear end in a top hat. Somebody is concerned that a thing they like might not like them back, and you're telling them to shove it, because it's inconvenient for you to ever have to consider other people's feelings.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

:stonk:Yeesh, project a little harder. I cant quite picture whoever it is in your personal life that marginalizes your feelings on a regular basis

Dude literally said that his position was that it sucked for him (or her) to read about peoples' opinions and feelings about the art he likes. His whole argument was basically that scrolling past other people's feelings was too hard for him. The other person's feelings were that a serious medical condition wouldn't be treated with respect by something he or she wanted to like. I didn't make it up. It's not even subtext. It's text.

So your theory is that I would only defend somebody on the internet if it somehow related to my personal experience, and that furthermore, said defense would be invalidated BECAUSE it related to my personal experience.

Ok, I guess? Like, I don't want to get super glib here, but I'm super glad I don't live in your bleak-rear end world.

Furthermore, everybody had dropped it for a whole day, and you brought it back. So when you, or somebody like you inevitably start blaming the SJWs for ruining the thread, remember that. Because it's an incredibly important part of this argument that is widely ignored, and an integral part of my point.

If you don't want to see pages of discussion about something, don't cause pages of discussion about something. Either nod your head, or shake it. But you don't get to be half of an argument, and blame the other half for the argument's very existence.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

SJWs do it again.
You've said some dick-rear end poo poo, but I can't even deny that the placement of this has me all :golfclap:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gyges posted:

I believe he exclusively refers to other super black ops team guys as "my boys" as well. He's like pure patriarchy. Becoming more and more unhinged as Jessica and Patsy subvert his power and authority.
This was one of my favorite parts of the show, and that's saying something for a brilliant season of television that manages to talk about abuse and mental illness without getting all exploitey.

This show was deeply personal for me. I'm often painted as a gigantic SJW killjoy because I don't appreciate how a lot of shows deal with issues like this, and the responses I get that move beyond just :rolleyes: :jerkoff:, are often akin to "do you just want every show to be sunshine and rainbows? God, I hate that YOU PEOPLE always need to talk about this stuff."

It happened in this very thread to a few people concerned with how the show was going to treat PTSD.

So to have a show that talks about it, and treats it with respect, and isn't just "here's some shocking poo poo for shock value," it's a rare and incredible treat, and this was a genuine pleasure to watch.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

HIJK posted:

So basically all the people who said "watch the show before freaking out over the portrayals of trauma and aftermath" were proven correct and the handwringing amd teeth gnashing was all for nought? Imagine that.
Or the people who expressed calm concern had entirely founded fears based on a lifetime of media consumption almost never getting it right, and were shouted down for worrying aloud, and got to enjoy a good thing that probably didn't hurt them like they feared it might, only for you to dismiss and belittle their feelings again because a show wasn't terrible about mental health and abuse for once.

In any case, I was really hoping that (Complete season spoilers) Daredevil would show up, because I'm a sucker for split-universe stuff. But mentioning him, then having Jessica dismiss the idea of needing to meet him immediately really fit the show's narratives quite well. I left very pleased with not getting what I wanted. It would've been a huge cop-out for Matt Murdock or Daredevil to show up and fix a problem out of nowhere, and even though it would've been fun, the show reminded me why my idea was terrible.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Sharmat posted:

Or sometimes people don't agree and that's ok and you're really sensitive.
Yes, the person who admitted he liked a thing and was happy it was done well is sensitive. Not the guy who started throwing poo poo.

Are any of you listening? I said it was good. Put down the pitchforks.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

There's a bit in Preacher where the bad guy sends foreigners against the protagonist, since his power is if he commands them to do something they MUST do it, but he only speaks American :xd:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Sharmat posted:

This show is not remotely PC and it's very cool. Lesbians and sex are two things that are also cool.
It is, though. You, like most of America, have just been grossly misinformed about what political correctness is.

Rush Limbaugh got to define what it was in the 90s, and we're all worse off for it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Sharmat posted:

I too have words that frustrate me by no longer meaning what they used to mean for various sociopolitical reasons but you just gotta accept that words change meaning over time.
But I don't want to. :(

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This show is only related to Gamergate in the sense that nearly every woman on planet Earth has to deal with lovely and creepy dudes pretty much all the time, including women on the internet.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Junkfist posted:

I'm upset the anal wasn't as implied as it was in the comic.
Comic spoilers: Didn't she get pregnant from that encounter?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

NowonSA posted:

It's worth noting that Tennant could come back for another season or appearance if they really wanted to. It's not like we see his whole body messed up or cremated, and you can go with explanations ranging from "He told himself never to die and that let him survive" to "The Stem cells gave him super healing!" There's always good old flashbacks too.
"You will all think you saw me die."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

tin can made man posted:

I love how the Armchair Vigilantes in this thread seem to forget that the position of "He keeps killing people, so Jessica Jones needs to kill him you loving idiots!" was literally espoused, many many times, by the series' secondary villain. Like, do people think that Officer Nuke Simpson - the black ops badass who's always hangin with His Boys and looks like Captain America and argues "Why doesn't Batman just kill the Joker? What a pussy" - being a mentally-incapable, degenerate monster is an accident?
I want to marry this post and start a family of little posts.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Guy Goodbody posted:

That owns. I want somebody to do something like for Jessica Jones and Daredevil too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nsDv_lkaLw

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

They managed it in season 1! That guy was the ninjaest ninja ever, and he fit right in.
Right, but that was taking into account the conservation of ninjas principle:

Lone ninja: total badass.

Many ninjas: total mooks.

There is only so much ninja power to go around, and if you spread it too thin, all ninjas are basically just the putty patrol.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The important point was that somebody had a weapon that could hurt the invincible man.

It doesn't really matter to the story what bullshitium they were made of, but they chose to tie it into Avengers 1 as a shorthand.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Boy, remember when Marvel Netflix was just Daredevil and Jessica Jones' first seasons and it looked like they couldn't do any wrong?

The Hand's greatest victory was destroying several seasons of TV. And as has been said, being ninjas who are boring.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oasx posted:

Starting episode 7 and so far the season has been a big disappointment. There have been no really good fight scenes, the plot is boring, Dex is just not that interesting of a character, and the idea that Wilson Fisk is suddenly a master manipulator feels silly. The whole plot of Matt being wanted is just not very interesting.
How in god's name did you witness the prison fight and walk away feeling like there were no good fight scenes?

I really liked this season and thought it was a great return to form after the wet fart that was literally everything that had anything to do with The Hand.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They can absolutely say Captain America or Hulk. They just don't. It's stupid.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Don't worry, Daredevil punched him a few times and that made all his blackmail and corruption of the system vanish.
Better than the end of the Ben Affleck movie where since the lawyer and crime investigation stuff got left on the cutting room floor, the cops show up at the end and arrest Kingpin for the crime of losing a fight to Daredevil.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

That team also had a dude with super incredible accuracy with a bow and arrow, so Bullseye using bullets and other objects to the same effect isn't really all that notable in their world.
Lebron James isn't not notable because we already saw Jordan.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

One of the reasons you barely see negative portrayals of cops is that every exterior shot with guns or whatever requires officers on location to supervise. So, good luck getting the NYPD to cooperate with you on a show that acknowledges how loving awful cops are.

Ditto with the US millitary.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The only thing I find profoundly disappointing about Daredevil outside of the obvious season 2 woes is the lack of courtroom drama. I had the same problem with Jessica Jones. Courtroom drama but with a superhero and private investigator drama but with superpowers are awesome premises that are getting wasted by getting lost in the superhero part.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I just wanted hard-drinkin, former superhero Veronica Mars.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Phenotype posted:

maybe... maybe if they bundled all the streaming services together and just charged a high monthly rate for all of them and you couldn't opt out of any of them to save money
It's cable. You've invented cable.

:thejoke: ?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Seems one of the things Disney bought from Fox was a propensity for cancelling popular genre shows.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Invalid Validation posted:

They like money first and foremost and you can’t maximize that if you’re splitting it with another company.
Considering ABC Studios shows air on different networks all the time, no. This is more about the pissing match between Marvel TV and Marvel Studios. It's so, so, so stupid.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Okay, so now there's rumors that Marvel cancelled Daredevil and not Disney.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Phenotype posted:

What about LOSThahahhahahaha
Lost answered almost all of the mysteries it proposed and the ending that people keep saying happened didn't actually happen.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Phenotype posted:

Well, Lost's issue was that there was a lot unexplained. The island was a vague bottle (or was it the cork?). The weird stuff that happened was all just magic. Which is fine if your show was about the journey and not the destination, but that show went on for years and was one of the most talked-about and speculated-on shows in history, and they had to know that their audience was expecting solid explanations. It was kinda lovely to watch all these people try to connect the dots for all those years and it turns out all the dots just made up a scribble.
Spoilers for Lost. Minor spoilers for Battlestar Galactica.

The island is the source of life, death, and rebirth. This is stated in the show incredibly clearly, in those words, but people still go "but what was the island? This show sucks!" mostly because despite the show literally starting with a loving magic smoke monster, they thought everything would be explained by science when a clear goddamn throughline from like, episode four onward is that in order to grow, you need to have some measure of balance between science and faith.

It was a magic island. Magic things can happen there.

Battlestar Galactica had this exact same loving problem. It dealt with themes of faith and religion and people willfully ignored that, and then got mad whenever it came up and dismissed it as a hail mary by the writers or a plot hole when it had been present from the very beginning.

Joe Chill posted:

Viewers guessed the ending after the first season of Lost, which the creaters denied in an interview around that time.
No they didn't and that isn't how the show ended. Why do people still think this stupid bullshit? The island wasn't loving limbo. Jesus Christ. You're bad at watching things.

Joe Chill posted:

Close, everyone was in purgatory was the big theory. The show's finale ended up more complicated than that but that's what basically happened.
No it didn't. Holy poo poo. How are people this bad at watching television? A character, at the very end of the show, asked out loud, "so did that island poo poo actually happen?" and the show itself turns to the loving camera and all but shouts, "yes, you loving idiots, it wasn't loving purgatory. They didn't die in the crash. That poo poo all happened."

And people STILL thought it was purgatory. That's not on the show. The show straight-up said it wasn't purgatory.

I am shocked, SHOCKED that this didn't happen more with Daredevil, honestly. Maybe it's because Matt's religion has been a part of the comics from the start so it wasn't a surprise when it became part of the show, and maybe it's because we're not given any concrete evidence that god exists in the show, but any time any show deals with religion, grognards get all insufferable about it.

I'm a queer person on HRT. A TON religious people want me dead. I unabashedly hate religion for giving cover to lovely people who use a book that tells them to be nice as an excuse to murder people like me, but I don't get all militant atheist about the shows I watch dealing in faith and calling any act of god a plot hole. In the fiction of some shows, there is a god, and fine. Whatever.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Joe Chill posted:

Wow Vividliquid. I won't have brought up Lost if people are angry about it holy poo poo.
I get accused of being angry on the internet all the time because I like to rant about poo poo that bothers me. I'm not fuming or anything. It's just cathartic. Don't worry about it. Bill Hicks I'm not, but it isn't rage. It's just a rant.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Vividliquid is pretty perceptive, I think.
Can I ask if there's a reason people are calling me this?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

By Blade 3 he was having other people do his scenes and wouldn't leave his trailer, so maybe reboot Blade, because Snipes is a massive diva.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dr Christmas posted:

I don't think we've seen the new breed of young, relatively affluent shithead reactionaries explored in popular fiction other than, what, that SVU episode about incels? Lord knows we've had enough triggered millennial snowflake SJW characters screeching about microsggressions to last a lifetime, even from liberal shows.
Thank you for this. It's posts like this that give me hope.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They made a show about a detective who never does any detective stuff.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ubiquitous_ posted:

At least we have Veronica Mars Season 4 coming out next month.
Is Kristin Ritter coming back as Gia?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

esperterra posted:

She died in the movie.
Good lord that movie was forgettable.

I rewatched the whole series, movie included, two months ago and I can barely remember the movie except how disappointed I was in Wallace for sticking around Neptune to be a loving gym teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

No. None of the TV properties have anything to do with the movies anymore.

The movie division even started its own second TV division which will, presumably, have something to do with the movies.