Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bbf2 posted:

I don't understand the "Thor (not that one)" joke in the title. Did one of the actors involved in this play a character with the first name Thor in a movie at one point or something?

Have you never seen Adventures in Babysitting?

Irish Joe posted:

Respectfully petitioning the mods for a less awful thread title.

OP's choice. For now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's really hard to do a thread for Netflix shows for sure. Most of them I watch I don't actually check the thread until I've finished the series because it's almost impossible, even with the best of intentions, to avoid spoilers entirely that way.

Compounding that fact is if there is one thread for all the different shows, it's one tricky policy to set.

None of them will be airing at the same time so it's not a big deal. We'll come up with some decent spoiler rules for this thread and if it works we'll apply it to future Netflix threads as well.

Also as for the grittiness of Daredevil, if there's one character where that's not just a buzzword it's Daredevil. Grittiness is a core part of the character and it defines most of the classic stories. No superhero gets dumped on like Daredevil. His life is hell. And it's entertaining a as hell. And I say that as someone that normally doesn't care for dark and gritty comics. Daredevil is the exception.

X-O fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 12, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If anyone is interested in catching up with the character the runs you want to read are Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, and Waid. There are other fine installments but those are the ones you want. Miller is the foundation. Bendis and Brubaker are the runs the basically tear the character apart and put him through near endless poo poo and Waid's run is the light at the end of the tunnel that puts him back together.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Like I said there are plenty of other good runs on the character that I didn't mention that are worth reading. The Nocenti run is fine, the Diggle run between Brubaker and Waid is fine, and the Kevin Smith run is a run that also exists and can be read with your eyes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Matt is the last voice. Night Nurse right before him. The line about Hell's Kitchen needing to die was Fisk. The one about no heroes and villains was Ben Urich. The first female was probably Karen Page.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

HERAK posted:

So what has he thought of other shows? What is he like as a critic?

Devin Faraci is an alright news source for certain things, but he's hardly an arbiter of good taste. Some things he's right on about and some things he's way off. Like most critics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Anyone involved with making any part of Southland is good news to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Starjammers are almost certainly under the Fox agreement as the ties to X-Men are pretty much universal. The Starjammers are great and if Fox were smart they would have started thinking of how to get that property onscreen after Guardians of the Galaxy. They're not known for being very smart though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

thrakkorzog posted:

Considering how much they ruined your character in Wolverine: Origins, I'm inclined to agree.

"Hey, let's take a popular character who is known for never shutting the gently caress up, but we sew his mouth shut."
"loving brilliant plan, only let's also give him a bunch of random superpowers he has never shown in the comics."

I just assume there was copious amounts of Cocaine involved in those decisions. Because then that would make more sense than sober people making that film.

Well they're making up for that with the solo film so we can all put that nightmare behind us.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI2JWIN1zMQ

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Alias invented JJ.

Actually JJ invented Alias. Not long after Felicity.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

:siren: Netflix Rules Update! :siren:

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours. If you haven't gotten to that episode then don't click on the spoiler. This is just a trial for Daredevil and if it doesn't work we'll just go back to the old way from now on. And now an example post:

So far the show is good. I enjoy this show so far through episode 10. It is a fine television program.

1x10
The thing that happens in this episode certainly happened. And how it tied back into what they were saying in episode 3 was definitely a cool thing. I think the villain that appeared in this episode and did the villainy thing was bad. He should be punched by the Daredevil and have to go to jail.

The 1x10 is just the episode you're up to. You can write all about episode four if you want, but if you let something slip that came out later and you forget and it maybe happened in episode six that's why you still put episode 10 and not episode 4. Get it? Hope it works. And if not sorry!

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 10, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

12am PST is what time everyone else said. That's why I added it to the thread title. If it's not let me know.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Correct. After 72 hours no more spoiler tags. That gives everyone the entire weekend. And most people around here blast through a show in a single day somehow. The general feeling in most Netflix threads I've seen is that everyone has completed the shows by the end of the weekend. If you haven't then I'd avoid the thread after that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

That's really sad.

...I mean I'm definitely going to do that too, but man that's sad.

This will be the first Netflix show since Arrested Development that I'll actually probably watch in less a than week. Except Kimmy Schmidt, but that was much shorter.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I remember you saying once that you weren't subbed to Netflix so did you sign up because of Daredevil? If a lot of people do that as well, things are looking good for more Marvel on Netflix. I'd be very interested to see how they model sub churn and how it correlates to original programming releases.

Actually, now that I think about it, I guess they don't have to model poo poo. They can straight up see if you sub, binge watch a show, and stay around or not. I really wish every channel had that kind of data.

I don't keep a subscription to Netflix no. I sign up for a month here and there when there's something exclusive I want to watch. I have no need for it otherwise. Like I signed up for Kimmy Schmidt after the initial good buzz and then let it lapse after that month. I did the same for Daredevil. I probably won't sign up for another month until there's something else I want to see. I mean it's only eight bucks but it's eight bucks wasted if I don't use for anything.

The way I figure it is that I pay 10 bucks for a movie ticket and get maybe two and a half hours out of it. I pay less for a month of Netflix and with this show I'll get somewhere between 10 and 13 hours. Pretty good deal.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 10, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Remember if you're planning on posting as you watch to keep the spoiler policy in mind.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm 15 minutes in and it's great so far. Gonna try to limit myself to two episodes tonight. Don't know if it'll work.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also those loving opening credits. Beautiful.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

I don't think it needs to be spoilered, i'm 5 mins in and i'm 500% onboard. This is what arrow wishes it was.

As much as I love both Arrow and Flash and think they're great it is glaringly obvious going from them or even SHIELD to something like this that there's a pretty big disparity in not only talent but production.

So far this feels like an actual top quality show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

1x01
Holy poo poo the ending of this episode is amazing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cox, Henson, and Woll are all so drat likable in their roles.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have no idea how so many of you have gotten through so many episodes. I barely made it through three last night.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

osietra posted:

The Punisher seriously needs to have a gender reboot.

They've had a couple female characters in that role before. It's been fine, but there's no substitute for Frank Castle.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If they wanted to and they had the budget for it they could easily fit in another season of Daredevil before Defenders. Since the cast and crew are not going to be tied up in the other shows. The only roadblocks are money, actor availability, and if it fits into their plan. They are in the middle of filming the Jessica Jones series now and I would probably expect it out later this year. With Cage out early next year and Iron Fist late next year.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also something to keep in mind is that The Defenders is not a full series like the other four. It's only going to be somewhere between four and eight episodes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Viginti posted:

Who the gently caress is the Iron Dragon? I'd watch that show, whatever it is.

Netflix, with its last two shows, has really gotten a hang of its distribution model. Or, more likely, the writers have gotten the hang of it. It feels so weird and yet so right to watch a show that doesn't stop and start with every act break - even if there aren't ads - or feel the need to slow down and revamp between episodes. A part of me misses having that downtime every episode, like I don't think Matt appears for stretches of hours at a time, but on the other hand it makes this seem like the most extreme two-parter, like the whole season is a super-length finale and that's great.

When I first saw Joe Carnahan's proof of concept trailer for a gritty, seventies style Daredevil I loved it but thought, no way will we ever get that. Then here we are, not three years later. As for season two, I'm a bit worried where the show goes without Drew Goddard. DeKnight is doing a great job, but he doesn't have the best record for consistency and I can see the violence losing its appeal if it doesn't have the weird, extended Red Dragon-esque Date Night scenes to temper it. I really wish Goddard would stop pogoing from project to project and just picksomething to write.

Drew Goddard wrote the pilot and was an executive producer but outside of that I believe he didn't have much to do with it. He had to step away to prep a Spider-Man spinoff movie that never materialized. Yes, he set up the tone with the pilot but pretty much the rest of the show was under DeKnight.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Stunt Rock posted:

I don't know, it would be nice for Marvel to have more movies or shows featuring heroes who are buff white dudes.

And Punisher would be one of the easiest ones for them to gender switch. Rachel Alves played by Jessica Chastain would be really sweet, actually.

Or I dunno, make something with one of the many great female characters they already have. Maybe that's too easy though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WarLocke posted:

So I'm only on episode 2 but I am really liking what they're doing with Foggy. It would have been so easy to fall back on comedy relief with him but the actor is owning it.

Well he is the comedy relief but the good thing is that he's not only the comedy relief.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm still taking this slowly. But Jesus Christ the end of episode four. Also D'Onofrio is the goddamn best.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hollismason posted:

I'm kind of curious as to what the budget was for the series.

I believe the entire budget for all five shows is $200 million. Which for 60 episodes of TV is $3.3 million per episode.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hollismason posted:

That's pretty impressive. Although if the total of all 5 are 60 Episodes then that means 1 of the series isn't going to be 13 episodes.

Yes, the Defenders is a mini series. It's going to be between four and eight episodes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

feedmyleg posted:

Anything more specific, like issue numbers or trade names? I find superhero comics to be wildly confusing if they're not stand-alone books, I wouldn't even know what to search on Comixology.

Here's the "must read" list for Daredevil

Frank Miller
Daredevil v1 158-191, 227-233 (Born Again)
Daredevil: The Man Without Fear

Brian Michael Bendis
Daredevil v2 26-81

Ed Brubaker
Daredevil v2 82-119, then Daredevil 500

Mark Waid
Daredevil v3 1-36, v4 1-current

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The deal on season two is this, the entire Marvel/Netflix deal was already budgeted for five shows at $200 million. There would be time to do another season of Daredevil before the Defenders team up if they wanted, but it would have to be a separate deal that would have to be funded separately. They also would have to worry about oversaturation of the Marvel brand on Netflix and whether a potential season two would mess up whatever they have planned story wise for the other shows. So yeah they could do it if they work out the money for it, but we probably won't know that for a bit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Petr posted:

They can't integrate them into the MCU though, can they?

Marvel recently made a deal with Sony regarding Spider-Man and will be producing the next movie. Spider-Man is now part of the MCU and will first be seen in the next Captain America movie.

X-Men, no chance.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PunkBoy posted:

Series spoiler because I'm not sure when it occurs:

What episode mentions the orphanage Matt grew up in by name? Isn't it Saint Agnes, where Skye from Agents of SHIELD was raised as well?

Yes, the same one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Remember starting tonight at 3am EST we no longer have to use spoiler tags. I'll be taking a vacation at that point as I'm only done through episode seven. But I'd like to ask everyone that has posted how well you like this policy for spoilers and would you like it to continue for other Netflix shows? I think pretty much everyone understood it and did exactly as it was laid out and in that case I'd call it a success but I'd like to hear feedback from you guys as well.

C-Euro posted:

Found this show earlier today and my fiancee & I are on episode 4 so far, pretty good but hot drat is it dark and violent. Also I'm only a little familiar with Daredevil the comic book character, is the Catholic part from the comics or did they invent it for the show?

Daredevil is Catholic Guilt The Superhero.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

1x07
Stick is awesome and it was a real shock seeing Stone at the end. Was not expecting him to be on the show. My guess is that since the Stick story is pretty much a one-and-done thing is that it's setting up something for the future.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

dj_clawson posted:

How is it on this show EVERYONE looks more blind than Matt? Did the actor just refuse to wear the contacts or whatever? Because I heard the convincing ones do actually blind you when they're in, but it seems like a major part of the role.

The few blind people I've met all had natural looking eyes that were pretty much indistinguishable from a person that wasn't blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We're a few minutes shy on 72 hours but I'm going to go ahead and call it.

No more spoiler tags!

Goodbye for a day or two thread.