Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I forget the run but he kills a bunch of Hand ninjas and I vaguely remember him killing Bullseye once.

Eh, ninjas are like aliens, monsters, or robots in that you can kill them without moral repercussions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

My dream is that somehow they make a Netflix Judge Dredd series. Urban cant be THAT expensive to hire, he made that robot cop show (which I'm told was actually kind of okay, but dammit the premise was literally Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E from friends) and he apparently would like to do more dredd. Until then I console myself that even if it never gets a sequel, it did get one great movie which did not seem likely after the stallone attempt.

There was a terrible april fools article that claimed just this. I was believing it until it said that Stallone was going to play the chief.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Error 404 posted:

I love the show, and I always will, but man...I just did a full rewatch like, last month, and it was pretty silly.

The last season was Start Every Fight By Jumping!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Popcorn made, this poo poo better be updated!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Not even 10 minutes in and I'm :aaaaa:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
1x01 speculation: Nobu had better be part of the goddamn Hand. It's not Daredevil if there are no ninjas!

I have 20 hours before I need to be awake for work. I can finish this.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
1x02

Oh gently caress!!! This is brutal.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I love the fight scenes. They look painful and exhausting, and seeing Murdock get more tired and sloppy as they go on is awesome. It kind of reminds me of the end of Polanski's Macbeth.

So true, he just gets beat down but keeps going anyway. I love this.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have no more words/

1x03 I actually thought the guy was going stick his head through the barbed wire coils and jump.

Marvel needs to step up their movie game, this a *good* show.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Zaggitz posted:

1x04
HOLY loving poo poo THE END.

edit: I'm going to bed now but after 4 episodes my expectations have been loving nuked out of the water. A++++ Can't wait to get back into it when I wake up.

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck.

Everyone is so good in this. Everyone.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

1x05 (and also some speculation)
"Remember the promise you made to me... and those I represent."

and then even Fisk respects it. really buying the idea that he represents the hand.

the name of the guy who founded the hand was Kagenobu Yoshioka :V

I loving called it!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
end of 1x05 You done hosed up, Matty!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
End of 1x06 THE GODDAMN OWL?!?!?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I love seeing people from The Wire show up in my shows.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Episode 1x09: THE GODDAMN HAND!!!!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
1x09 dragon on the heroin packets is very similar to Iron Fist brand

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Oh crap there are 13 episodes?

I thought it was 10

1x11 here we go.

Right there with you, buddy!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
1x11 HOLY poo poo!!!

2 more episodes to go. This is crazy.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
1x12

I loving called it! The heroin is called Steel Serpent, which is Iron Fist's bad guy. loving Davos!

Edit, still 12 "a considerable distance further" oh yeah, seven kingdoms of heaven!

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 10, 2015

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
1x12 ending
they just killed Ben Urich!!! Omg

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just finished and was blown away. The characters, the acting, those fights!!

Amazing job, and thete was so much stuff seeded for comic nerds.

All episodes spoilers: Owlsley has a son who can the Owl. Melvin had plans for his Gladiator buzzsaws drawn up. Davos the Steel Serpent. The Hand. Electra. Whatever the gently caress was going on with Stick and the mystery man. Probably more that I forgot or missed.

All in all, this exceeded my already high expectations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

1x09 (Comics speculation spoiler)
That is definitely Davos/Steel Serpent's mark on Madame Gao's heroin. The K'un Lun Connection.

:allears:

Wait until you find out what they call it on the street.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

NotALizardman posted:

Just finished and GODDAMN what an incredible show. I didn't plan on watching it all today, but it just sort of happened.

I didn't realize that Claire was supposed to be Night Nurse until someone pointed it out to me.

I'm not super knowledgeable about this stuff, but I'll try my best. The japanese dude was a member of the Hand, a clan of evil ninjas that are ruled by a demon. The boy was probably supposed to be a host for said demon. Why were they bringing him to New York? Who knows! It also looked like Stick was working for a member of the Hand (Gorgon????).

As for the Chinese lady, I don't know much about Iron Fist, but I guess the logo she used on her heroin was a reference to one of Iron Fist's bad guys. Her home, I'd guess, is K'un-Lun, the place where Danny Rand trained to become Iron Fist.

series end spoilers relating to this She's probably not from K'un-Lun, at least, I hope not. There are seven different hidden kingdoms, each with their own Immortal Weapon (of which Iron Fist and Steel Serpent are an example). Basically, I just really hope to see Bride of Nine Spider and The Prince of Orphans on screen.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
His last wife was driven insane.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was hoping that Urich would be the MCU's Coulson for the Netflix shows. Plus, that actor killed in in the role.

Here's what I want to explore: What was Fisk's relationship with Gau? She was the only one of the crime bosses he respected, something that was pointed out in show a number of times. Someone earlier wondered if Gau was grooming Fisk in a similar fashion to what Stick was doing with Murdock, I think there might be something to that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Xtanstic posted:

What's Gao deal anyway? I know people have said that she's an Iron Fist mystic voodoo magic character, but why specifically would such a person be interested in controlling the NYC heroin trade? (even at the end with Leland she's all like "well I don't really care anyway so I'm gonna go home now!")

Mystic kung fu character, not voodoo. The heroin was a means to an end, Fisk may be her earth realm champion or a pawn to prepare earth to merge with her dimension. I don't know, but I agree that we'll find out in Iron Fist, with mayeb more clues sprinkled throughout the rest of the series.

Wesley is probably the reason Fisk was able to amass his criminal empire. I can't imagine that anyone outside the other heads ever actually met him in person. RIP Wesley, you were too good (bad) for this world.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
But if it was only the heroin, why did Fisk constantly go out of his way to treat her with respect and consult her? Leland was the only other crime head Fisk interacted with to the same degree amd he was constantly treated as an underling. Fisk meant something to Gau (Gau or Gao), otherwise why would she waste her time on Earth running drugs instead of awesome inscruitable evil kung-fu things?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Can someone take the clip of the hallway fight and put that terrible evanessence song from the movie on top of it?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

I thought the intro titles were red wax, like the candles in a Catholic church, not blood. Fits more with the theme of the show. Plus it didn't look like blood at all.

Also I think the suit looks great.

Yeah, it's wax. It's really obvious on the shots with bridge where it dries exactly like a melted candle.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Boogaleeboo posted:

Just say magic kung fu dimension and move on.

This really is the best policy.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Officer Farva posted:

They should make another Blade series for Netflix, but bring Wesley Snipes back for it.

No, Sticky Fingas is the best Blade.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Snipes also made Blade 3 which negates that phrase and all of Blade 2.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Well, it was in that shape, yes, but it wasn't actually a bow, it was a laser sword, capped at both ends, the way a "real" laser sword would have to be. it's the most baffling element of the movie, because the Blade movies have always been relatively down to earth except for the ridiculous vampire poo poo. Then Jessica Biel has a laser sword that Kris Kristofferson made in his garage, or something.

WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

Season 4 is her adventuring in space, but every episode just focusing on a legal case she happens to fall in to along the way, culminating in the biggest case of her life against the Living Tribunal just so she can go around in season 5 calling herself a Space Lawyer.

Actually happened already

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I am infinitely less interested in Angry Shootmans than mystical kung-fu action.

Yes, as much as I like Punisher Max, I really don't want a TV show where Frank is the protagonist.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Midnight PST so you just have to stay up until three.

Aw man, I was hoping this would be like Fallout, where I got to play at 11pm (or, more accurately, when I got back from Hunger Games tonight)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FourLeaf posted:

I see. But this means that there's even less excuse for it being as clumsy as it was.

Oh another bad thing I forgot was the episode where the couple was trying to get revenge on all superpowered people. What the gently caress was that?

That was there for comic nerds because I almost poo poo the bed when Simpson said "give me a red". It was an even bigger holy poo poo moment than Nobu's reveal as a Hand ninja in Daredevil, because that was so telegraphed. Nuke came totally out of left field, which made it kind of exciting for me since " crazy captain America" outclasses "a bit of super strength and lovely flight" as far as powersets go.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Kainser posted:

Squirrel Girl is a mutant in theory (marvel retconned it recently because they hate fox but that doesn't matter for rights) but she has always been much more connected to non x-men properties so who knows. The Marvel/Fox rights can get pretty esoteric at times. Like the Skrull rights which are dumb as hell with Marvel owning the race and Fox all the named Skrulls or something like that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I think she's just supposed to be a human being. I think that we aren't really meant to be sad about Ruben, but we are supposed to be sympathetic to Robyn and Jessica's sadness over his death. I thought the point of them was kind of "even weird, annoying, abrasive people are still just people". We shouldn't wish ill of them or cast them aside because they are different or annoy us. Jessica avoid's Robyn's pain because it makes her uncomfortable. It makes Malcolm uncomfortable too, but he works past that and tries to help her heal.

Yes,her breakdown over her brother's death was a gutpunch for me. Before that I was all, " lol I hope this annoying Bitch gets kilgraved"

After that, I was forcibly reminded that this was another human being and petty revenge can have long ranging consequences. I felt terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So here's 100+ posts worth of replies:

Snak posted:

I guess my point is that "Simpson was ultimately right" is only true if you think the conflict being solved is stopping Kilgrave. Stopping Kilgrave wasn't Jessica's goal until the last few episodes. Jessica's goal was to help his victims.Everything Jessica did was with that goal in mind. Simpson completely ignored that goal. So in a way, Simpson was right that killing Kilgrave would stop him from making more victims, but he literally did not care about his existing victims. Jessica's plan would have helped his existing victims AND prevented him from victimizing more people.

Simpson is like the War on Terror or The War on Drugs, where he is only concerned with neutralizing the enemy and does not give a gently caress about the victims. Operating under the false premise that removing the enemy will make the world a better place and is therefor the correct course of action. Not concerned with actually making the world a better place.

I disagree with the bolded part. Jessica's goal was to assuage her own guilt over what Kilgrave did to her. Aside from Hope, his other victims were tools she used to further that goal. The way she used Malcom before AND after she helped him break from Kilgrave's control. The way she used the support group to gain information on Kilgrave. The way she used his parents to expose his powers, even assuming everything went to plan. Her saving of Hope was nothing more than her saving herself, it was a totally selfish act. It's only as time goes on and things go to poo poo that she realizes that working WITH people is better than just using them, and even then she's still a bad and selfish person.

This is part of why I liked this show so much.

The Sharmat posted:

I like how Simpson gets no sympathy for breaking down after being mindraped because he's a dude and the only ones that do sympathize with him miss the whole point of the show.

His breakdown is also responsible for his transition from well intentioned mansplainer hero in full on MRA psycho. It was his desire to regain control of his life after Kilgrave so callously used him to attempt to murder an innocent that led to him placing the bomb the ultimately blew him up. Then, he felt his only option was to get back into the Weapon + program (or whatever created the drugs, IGH, I guess). Remember that Simpson bailed from that program before, that Kozlov was surprised that he was contacted again, something about that super soldier program didn't sit right with Simpson in the past, but he still went back because it was the only way to take his life back again.

zoux posted:

I think actually a lot of the dissatisfaction with the character stems from this, as you want to like him in the beginning, and he's cast as the reasonable, nice standard protag character so it's hard to reconcile with what he becomes. You could write an opposite show that was story beat for beat Jessica Jones but with Simpson struggling against well meaning women that just don't understand what Good Men Have to Do Sometimes casting Simpson as the protagonist, and in fact we're trained to identify with this type of character since he headlines 95% of movies.

Also: This.