Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is entirely my own fault, but I remember back when Sigourney Weaver was first announced as being cast, somebody said,"Hey wouldn't it be cool if she was Mephisto?" and basically after that in my head anything else they did was going to be a letdown.

Turns out the letdown they chose to go with was just making the show terrible and her character interchangeable with all the other uninteresting Hand characters (even Madam Gao got pretty poor by the end) then killing her off in favor of somebody even less interesting than that, so I guess it's a moot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Iron Fist's 1st season includes a scene where the man who has spent a lifetime training with ancient monks to the point where he was able to fight and defeat a literal dragon has to have calming techniques explained to him by a night shift nurse while having a panic attack.

Edit: It also features a scene of some archival footage of one of his predecessors fighting, and he's so much more accomplished than Danny (including being able to use all his limbs as "Iron" as opposed to Danny's one) it is hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh wait, that last season was only HALF the season and now the rest of it is out? I didn't even know it wasn't "complete", I figured they just left it on a cliffhanger like they seem to enjoy doing with other seasons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just literally make all of season 3 the subplot from the comic where J Jonah Jameson hires her to figure out Spider-Man's secret identity, and she just spends the money/time on doing a bunch of charity work instead. He gets pissed off and threatens to sue and Robbie has to quietly remind him that suing somebody for volunteering her time to sing to sick children is probably not a good look for the paper.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lid posted:

So yeah if JJ season three has a villain of substance itll be fine.

Jerusalem posted:

Just literally make all of season 3 the subplot from the comic where J Jonah Jameson hires her to figure out Spider-Man's secret identity, and she just spends the money/time on doing a bunch of charity work instead. He gets pissed off and threatens to sue and Robbie has to quietly remind him that suing somebody for volunteering her time to sing to sick children is probably not a good look for the paper.

Glad we're in agreement :hai:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

edit: tbh Jessica Jones is also kinda an rear end in a top hat.

It seemed like the takeaway the writers/showrunner of Defenders got from JJ Season 1 was that Jessica is an alcoholic, so they just wrote a bunch of scenes where she drinks and kinda left her character development at that.

Edit: And the takeaway from LC Season 1 was,"Just play some loving hiphop during the fight scene" and then you don't need to bother with good choreography or editing or anything resembling a reason for any of this stuff to be happening.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 30, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm still mad Sigourney Weaver wasn't Mephisto, then they completely wasted the character they wrote for her on Hand bullshit anyway and THEN did the same tired old twist of "Turns out there was another baddie all along who isn't anywhere near as interesting as the first one!"

Davros1 posted:

THE SON OF SATAN!!

"In this crime procedural, the NYPD gets a consultant with a twist! Join us every week to see how he helps them solve a new case! And maybe romantic sparks are flying between he and the no-nonsense lady detective!?!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They used up all of their "this potion makes you not die" stuff so they could put all their eggs in the "Elektra" basket, a plan that made zero sense since they were going along stronger without her and all they needed was Danny being unbelievably stupid and easy to manipulate to get access to more of the "this potion makes you not die" stuff before what they ran out.

Outside of maybe one story early on, the Hand stuff was always super boring in the comics, and it mostly sucked in the Netflix stuff too so it still blows me away that their big Defenders thing they'd spent so much time building to was just more of the utterly boring Hand crap.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

When Miller first brought them in there was a bit of interest, but they didn't maintain any sense of menace at all and they simply weren't particularly interesting past any early appearances, the diminishing returns set in hard. It got to the point where complete nobodies (including dudes with zero training or powers) were beating multiple highly trained ninjas in fights which just made them a joke.