Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Hype Status: Intensifying :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So I can't watch this until later tonight. :smithicide:

Can I assume by the reactions I'm seeing in here that the fights are as/more brutal than Banshee's?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Holy fuuuuck the opening to Episode 1.

The little head dip as he hears the slide catching... :vince:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Is it just me or does this really not feel like part of the MCU? The quality is just ridiculous. Maybe it's how gritty it all is.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Musluk posted:

Jesus gently caress.

I came here to post exactly that in regards to the Ep1 ending montage and "Come on, Mattie. Get to work." :ssj:

God drat is it great to see non-shaky-cam fight choreography.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So I'm only on episode 2 but I am really liking what they're doing with Foggy. It would have been so easy to fall back on comedy relief with him but the actor is owning it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

01x02
No loving way was that hallway fight one long take. There has to be a hidden cut in there somewhere, jesus gently caress

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

So I assume this is worth checking out?

I wouldn't even call this a great superhero show. It's just a plain great show period.

That's a yes if it wasn't clear, watch Daredevil.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

General spoiler/question:

I can't tell if they're going with 'sonar hearing' or super-senses or whatever or not. I mean, I can kind of get him maybe learning to listen for heartbeats, and then a little physiology/psychology handles the 'is this guy lying' bit. But telling if someone is conscious by listening? Smelling a dude's cologne through walls on a different floor? Hearing people calling for help across the city?!?

Maybe this gets explained at some point, idunno.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

01x03
So I'm watching, and I'm like "Oh cool I know what's gonna happen, he's gonna get the guy off, then track him down and beat the poo poo out of him, just like in the comics". Man, I was pretty drat smug at that closing argument.

And then "You should have just killed me." :stonk:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

01x05
Foggy loving dismantled his ex in Landman-Sachs, goddamn :stare:

Foggy really is the best. :allears:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's The Defenders. Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist are full series, The Defenders is sort of a mini-series with all of them.

13, 13, 13, 13 is 52, which leaves 8 for Defenders.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

So does that mean Daredevil isn't getting a season 2? Or is that a 'to be determined' thing?

I don't think they planned on making multiple seasons for any show.

But hopefully the acclaim/response they're getting will change their minds?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Wow, I went into the first episode of this not knowing anything about Jessica Jones. Was not expecting it to get so implicitly rapey so fast. :stonk:

Kristen Rytter is pretty baller when given an actual dramatic (as opposed to comedic) role though. :3:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Speaking as someone who only has the most basic understanding of Daredevil comics and who finally got around to watching the second season, the ninja stuff was pretty bad.

And I don't mean just ninjas being there was the bad thing - Stick and Nobu worked fine in the first season. The ninja stuff was bad because for a season and a half every fight DD got in was tense and brutal, and then suddenly he's fighting dozens of faceless mooks straight out of a Power Rangers episode and with about as much tension as you got in fights with those putty guys.

The problem is not that Daredevil was trained by a ninja or that ninjas were in the show. The problem was that the ninjas in the show were done shittily.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Wheeee posted:

I don't know anything about these IPs, does Luke Cage have any interesting villains that can carry his season like Fisk or Kilgrave?

Someone post the image of Luke Cage beating Dr. Doom's rear end for his $200

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

tsob posted:

Having seen Civil War a week ago I kind of want a War Machine series about Rhodey dealing with his new disability while heroing in a big, beefy suit with lots of guns and missiles and stuff in it.

Netflix Spider-Man (even if the new actor has a weirdly square face)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Gyges posted:

You're getting dangerously close to talking poo poo about Terry Crews here.

Does Luke Cage like his pickles?

Because Tiny Terry loves his pickles!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Actually, though, the real disappointment of the show was that Jessica was immune to him. It basically made the "how do you stop a person with this power?" problem completely moot, redirecting the plot entirely to "is it ok to kill him" and reducing the opportunity for cleverness.

I don't think she was immune so much as she had built up a resistance. I can't cite specific scenes right now, but I'm pretty sure a couple of times when she's under his power she kind of twitches a little when given an order, or manages to resist it for a few seconds/reinterpret it creatively.

I took it as that she had spent so much time under the influence of his spores or whatever that she eventually began to resist them/acclimatize to them, and that possibly this would happen eventually for anyone, and that's why he has a habit of making his puppets kill themselves. He just couldn't do that with JJ because of his obsession with her, and it eventually resulted in her building up enough of a resistance to his ability to result in the "Smile :unsmigghh:" scene.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Gyges posted:

The only animal that should be on peanut butter is a cartoon elephant.

Or Peter Pan

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Buschmaki posted:

But he's presented as being totally in control of Harlem, the heir to the fat lady's legacy, and Diamondback's top distributor. For Cottonmouth to be incompetent every other criminal in Harlem also has to be because he's presented as the top guy.

The implication seemed to be that he inherited it all to me. Yes, he wasn't beyond shooting guys in the head to prove his power, but he didn't build all that from scratch.

And it bites him in the rear end when his obsession with Cage fucks everything up for both him and Mariah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Only 5 episodes in but I like it so far. The yellow silk shirt/headband thing was awesome. Only thing I don't like is how invulnerable Cage is. He never seems threatened like Matt was in DD so, like others have said, for the most part he just loving barges into a mob meeting and stands there rather passively. I think the tension is supposed to come from the idea that, yeah, he's invulnerable, but his community, his friends and his neighborhood aren't and he can't be everywhere at once.

I thought they did a good job of showing his powers as being a double-edged sword. Sure, he's virtually invulnerable - but the one time someone gets a bullet through his skin, the very changes that make him so 'super' complicate the relatively mundane action of removing a bullet from a bullet hole to the point that he very nearly dies. If they hadn't found that doctor dude Luke would have ended right there, 'super' or not.