Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

OldTennisCourt posted:

Also for those who have seen it most of the way through, is this Punisher worthy of his own show?

I am not a huge Punisher fan, but I would definitely watch a show based on this version of him.

I'm surprised by just how graphic his scenes have been so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I finished Season Two yesterday, but then immediately went to bed. Spoilers are for the entirety of Season Two.

I have three gripes with the Punisher 1) the guy shot up a hospital full of innocent people. The writers try to handwave the hospital scene by saying nobody was hurt and if he wanted Karen dead she would be. Bullshit. This highly trained military man knew how to find Grotto and could've easily waited until a better opportunity. Even if nobody was injured there were still people in those corridors and a lot of unnecessary property damage done to the hospital. At this point in the story he had remained a mystery to everyone while taking out large numbers of organized criminals, but he's just going to waltz into a hosptial guns blazin' for one guy?

2) he hung the Mexican Cartel on meat hooks. That's not punishment or vengeance or justice or any other term vigilantes would use to justify their actions. That's just sadism. Every other instance he either shoots his victims in cold blood, or interrogates them first and then shoots them. The Punisher didn't torture anyone else or make an elaborate spectacle over their deaths so why the Cartel?

I get that some people like the Punisher because he is a Bad Man that does Bad Things to Worse People, but much like the first gripe I think the writer was trying too hard.

3) after being such an important part of the story for the first four episodes he did gently caress all at the end. He deserved a much larger role in the last few episodes. They should've found a way to tie him into the main story versus the Hand.

That said I would love to see a Punisher Netflix. Bernthal did a wonderful job. The word choice, the delivery, just everything. He sold the Punisher well as a mean bastard that is completely broken, but still functions.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

2x09
The newspaper clipping in the folder on the desk.

Mystery Accident Causes Teen Fatality

16-year old teen died in a single-car crash, in Windler County on Friday, authorities said. The unsolved death of this young man is currently under investigation.

According to a Vermont Highway Patrol report, the young man, Kevin Paxton Paige, of Fagan Corners, veered off the roadway while heading east on Vermont Route 12 from the Hill Road exit ramp off Interstate 89.

For an unknown reason, Page's vehicle went through a chain-link fence and ran into an embankment on the north shoulder at about 1:40 pm.

Vermont Highway Patrol found Page dead at the scene. His body was taken to Windler Medical Center where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The young man's death as well as the cause of the accident remains under investigation.

Fun Trivia: The rest of the article is text from War of the Worlds. The text above the picture is from Moby Dick.

Karen sobs and asks if they read it. Ellison responds he and Ben both read it and didn't care. Ben must've found something linking to her, because that's pretty loving cold to say you don't care her little brother died in a car accident.

More Fun Trivia: In the comics Paxton Page is Karen Page's father aka Death's Head and the obituary on the right of the article mentions a Penelope which is Karen's mother.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Sure he references Captain America, but will Dr. Strange reference Luke Cage? He better or this show will be poo poo. I can't like a thing unless it's validated by another thing I like.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Acid is not a magic space liquid that dissolves everything it touches. Different acids react to things differently.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

First guess is she'll be Harold Meachum's wife/daughter (or like Jeryn Hogarth a genderbent version) and current CEO of Rand Corporation.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

We find out in Season Two that he did it intentionally.

"I let those bullets be inside me."

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

There are theories that connect facial symmetry to attractiveness. Matt can notice if his blind mind waves break evenly across their nose that they're a hottie. If they go all weird and jagged then he knows he's talking to Kylo Ren.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

PerniciousKnid posted:

One would think that sort of thing could be covered for by hiring writers.

You would think competent writers could do that, but apparently it's not their fault. Eight is the maximum number of good episodes any show is allowed to have.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So where should I watch AoS if I'm a big Marvel fan who was kinda meh on the first few episodes and just lost track? When does it start to shift from monster of the week to real story stuff?

S1E16 End of the Beginning, then Winter Soldier, then E17 Turn Turn Turn.

Honestly just start at the pilot and watch them all. You're not watching them for the plot, you'll be watching for the interactions between the characters. It makes the twist in E17 better.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I've watched the other four and this one will be no different.

Iron Fist is so hated he doesn't even get his own thread title.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

bbf2 posted:

(episode 1)Is it just me, or do Faramir and his son look like they're maybe 10 years apart, tops?

It's not just you. David Wenham is 51 and Tom Pelphrey is 34, but they don't look 17 years apart.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

The first episode has pretty rough dialogue with all the "Is it Danny? I think it might be Danny. It's crazy to think this is Danny" nonsense, but it settles down by the end of the second episode.

Ten minutes in on the fifth episode and the plot is moving along okay. It's uneven in parts and you just have to accept Danny is dumb for convenient plot reasons, but the show doesn't deserve scathing reviews.

People just mad about White Man Kung Fu.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Arist posted:

Yeah, I could not have cared less about any of the "is it Danny" poo poo, but now that we're out of that even the business stuff, which I was dreading, seems fine.

To be fair, though, some of the White Man Kung Fu poo poo is real egregious.

Egregious how? Kid sees his parents die in a horrible accident and deals with his trauma by concentrating on Martial Arts. Substitute Martial Arts with Stopping Crime and you get Batman.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Arist posted:

Having Danny show up and give Colleen, the head of a dojo, advice on how to be better at martial arts is pretty bad.

Ah, yes, the esteemed head of a dojo versus some random white guy off the street. Training for fifteen years cannot possibly compare to the arduous task of being born Asian. This continues to be the dumbest (i.e. most racist) complaint.

Arist posted:

Also the further I get into this the more I feel Danny should definitely be Asian especially if they're setting up a relationship between him and Colleen like they seem to be.

So Danny should be Asian because you don't like the idea of interracial couples? Holy poo poo.

Iron Fist is not awful. The first episode is kinda bad. The second episode is less bad. Episodes Three to Six so far is fine.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Well Iron Fist ends with a cliffhanger, but this could be a hook for a second season and not just a lead in to Defenders. I see how Daredevil and Iron Fist would team up, but I don't see how or why Jessica and Luke would be involved. At this point Claire has more motivation than they do.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

It's a standard movie fight scene. Fighter A spars with Fighter B. Fighter A criticizes Fighter B's techniques and easily defeats them. "You're good... but I'm better. *wink*" I guarantee there is a page on TVTropes that lists a hundred examples of it.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

And we're live. I already know I won't binge this one. Maybe the first two episodes and save the rest for the weekend.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Episode Three is a good place to call it for now. They've established the big bad and the entire team is together. If it's like the other Marvel Netflix shows this is where the quality starts to drop off.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Karen will do undercover journalism and pose as a heroin addicted prostitute. She'll get information and her pimp Francis Castligione will murder them. She will use the information for her articles and Frank will follow the trail to more bad guys.

Karen will use her leads; Frank will use his lead.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I said before I would've liked a Marvel Knights of Punisher, Moon Knight, Blade and Ghost Rider.

Squirrel Girl would also work but she's going to be on another show already.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I'm completely turned around on Marvel Netflix. When they first announced I was most looking forward to Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Jessica would be generic detective stuff that ties them all together and Daredevil was added because people have actually heard of Daredevil.

Instead Daredevil came out real strong, Jessica has next to nothing to do with the others and the most serious story while Luke and Danny were disappointing. Defenders was forgettable and now here I am ridiculously excited for a Punisher TV show.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

As a Turkish person I was annoyed she called Istanbul "Constantinople". :argh:

How far is it to Batman from where you are? And why do you not live there?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Marvel vs. DC! Netflix vs. Cinema! Punisher vs. Justice League!

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Well that’s the whole thing, right? Most of the time it doesn’t matter what race a character is. Adding some positive diversity is free, and they still don’t do it.

Probably because when they do it's ignored. The nice prison guard doesn't count apparently because she might've died. Why does the nameless prostitute count against the show but Nichelle doesn't count for it? If representation is the most important thing then why does a complaint about lack of diversity fail to mention the single most positive black woman in the show?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm on the fence about watching this season, can someone do a spoiler-tagged paragraph of what happens? I don't mind knowing what's coming, but I wish I'd known what to expect about the first season before watching it and getting bored.

There are three stories this season:

Jessica Jones' mom didn't die in the car accident. Doctor Malus from obscure comic fame put her in a coma for a few years and she's healed up, bald and She-Hulk for some reason. Lots of rage issues and mommy issues this season. They had three years between JJS1 and JJS2 and the best idea they could come up with was "Trish has troubles with her mom so what if Jessica has trouble with hers?" Trish headshots Mom-Hulk in the last episode because they want to tease a heel turn? Maybe? It's dumb.

Patsy Walker is clean, employed and dating someone. Nuke comes back for an episode to die at the hands of Mom-Hulk and give Patsy an inhaler. Said inhaler temporarily gives her enhanced quasi-super powers. Patsy is a recovering addict; Patsy gets addicted. Patsy is jealous of her journalist boyfriend and when he proposes she shoots him down. Patsy quits her job, flakes at the fake CNN job interview and decides she'd rather have super powers instead. Patsy kidnaps Doctor Malus who takes her back to IGH where Jessica and Mom-Hulk got their superpowers. Patsy undergoes a procedure, almost dies, but as she's entering the elevator in the end she drops something... which she catches on the tip of her foot! Hooray! Super powers! It's dumb.

Also, Patsy's mom pimped underage Patsy to a movie producer, yet Patsy is still on speaking terms with her mom for reasons. Trish is the dumbest character on the show, but kind of has the best arc of the three. It's still dumb.

Hogarth has ALS. Hogarth gets conned by two scumbags who "heal" her and steal her poo poo. Hogarth gets her revenge and then quits her law firm to start one of her own. This was completely pointless as it's only there to give Carrie Anne Moss an excuse for being on the show. It's dumb.

And there are no black women in this show about feminism.

Heathen fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 18, 2018

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yes, there is. She exists to push back against Jessica's freewheeling approach to justice and then die without anyone ever taking into consideration why she might be, you know, completely right not to trust the drunken catastrophe of a protagonist. So it's worse than there being no black women in this show about feminism.

There was another character who didn't trust the drug addict catastrophe of a deuteragonist Malcolm. When he goes back to his old college he runs into his ex-girlfriend Nichelle who immediately and politely tells him to have a nice life. She doesn't take any of his bullshit and makes him own up to his own actions. Why did she act that way? Because she saw Malcolm for who he really was. And if you think that she was being too harsh on him - I mean, dude can't make a mistake? - she was ultimately proven right because he stole her student ID card. What was her big character flaw? Nothing? She had him pegged from the jump. I mean she did hug the guy so I guess she has good instincts, but too forgiving?

You have a young black woman who's book smart enough to graduate with her Masters and is street smart enough to distance herself from sketchy people that might try and drag her down, but there was no white woman in the scene to validate her so she doesn't exist either. And who wants to talk about her when we've got such important, scene stealing characters like Black Prostitute and Tinder Date #3.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I just finished watching the seventh episode so I think this is a good place to ask if I should finish watching this? I don't necessarily think it's bad, but it's just not pulling me in. I still really like Shades and Shades / Comanche was interesting, but I just get the feeling the big mid-season poo poo swerve is coming and they're going to do something dumb like Bushmaster kills Shades and hooks up with Mariah in the last episode. I don't really care about Luke / Claire or Luke / his dad or Shades / Mariah or Misty / her arm or Bushmaster / Mariah's daughter. The way they just Cottonmouth'd Comanche has me wondering if I really want to bother with the last six episodes. I could just as easily start watching Cloak and Dagger instead.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Supercar Gautier posted:

All black people are Luke Cages. There's regular Luke Cages and female Luke Cages.

This isn't as hot a take as you think. Remember the trailer for the first Thor where he does a standing dropkick to a security guy? That big black guy was totally Luke Cage. If Hawkeye is in it, then sure Luke Cage is too.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Ben and Julie had their date in the coffee shop. Five minutes later Julie is killed by the painters while Felix holds her phone up so the security camera can see. Five minutes later Ben's number is blocked by "Julie." We saw the whole thing play out on screen in the span of ten minutes, but who watches ten consecutive minutes of TV anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Erik Oleson was the showrunner of Season 3:

https://twitter.com/erikoleson/status/1054814739639918592?s=19