Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I agree. I thought the Daredevil body armor was kinda cool looking, but I did prefer the 'homemade' outfit, especially the bandanna

I might need to go back and rewatch like a sperg, but (general costume question) did Matt's costume keep 'improving' as the episodes went on? It seemed like he went from like, a black sweater to black underarmor, to some sort of tactical shirt. I don't know if he was refining it, or just throwing on whatever long-sleeved black shirt that wasn't cut to Hell

general costume You know, I did start noticing eventually that he was wearing something more like underarmor, but I thought I was just picking up on a detail I missed before. But I bet you're right; his old poo poo was constantly getting sliced up, so he would have thrown away his first shirts. That'll be something to look for on the rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

The Iron Fist costume is probably gonna be really drat great since it's pretty much going to be what Matt wore, except green with a symbol on it and eye-holes.

Also, as someone raised Catholic, I can say this about how they portrayed that part of him on the show: They nailed it. Now I think they just need to throw in something about him feeling bad about premarital sex to really knock it out of the park.

What, he doesn't get a pass because he's blind? I figure that'd be the equivalent of closing your eyes, so then it wouldn't count.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

kater posted:

Just got through ep 10. That was one of the most excruciatingly boring missteps I've ever seen. At no second was I interested in Froggy's drama poo poo and desperately wished Matty would either slap him or laugh at him or just point out how loving pathetic he was being.

Only felt so bad though because of how loving amazing the show had been otherwise. I really wish they just decided they didn't need to step into that cliche.

I mean sure, there's a case to be made that the 1x10 Matt/Foggy will they/won't they drama was cliche and mediocre, but I thought it made a great opportunity to put Matt on trial and examine everything he was doing as a vigilante, ask some very direct and pointed questions about the morality and ethics of it, and give some direct answers, too. It was convenient.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

They could easily give him contacts that make his pupils always appear the same size. But, as is, I never even noticed any variation, so to me it's not an issue.

Actually, would pupils that are totally unresponsive to light even stay a consistent size? Don't your pupils dilate in reaction to other things, like psychological stimuli?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Xealot posted:

All I mean is, I hope this Netflix experiment is wildly successful and encourages them to trust this format for other properties. Because I can't describe how much better this was than some Daredevil rebooted feature, and it cost WAY less than that would have...in theory 1/5th of the $200 Million Defenders price tag.

I saw someone suggest once that the best way to adapt Spider-Man isn't a movie, but a serialized TV series. And I found that I had to agree. Even though it was just a couple years ago, back then it seemed an impossibility. And it's surely not something happening any time soon.

But... slowly, all the right pieces are moving into place. I can now see a potential future where there's a high-quality serialized live-action Spider-Man TV series that's integrated into a larger Marvel TV & movie universe.

God drat would that be cool.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Zythrst posted:

I'm 100% sure they'll just put him in movies instead.

Well yeah, they're already talking about the new Spider-Man joint-studio movie. That's the plan for now. But, 10 years from now? If they keep putting out hits as good as Daredevil, if these shows catch fire like Game of Thrones but with an added Marvel franchise boost? And now that Marvel actually has the legal ability to do it? It's a super longshot, but it's enough that I'm now willing to entertain the possibility.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Here's just some points

Matts father - Gives Matt a drink of Whiskey
Wilsons Father - Gives him a drink of beer
Matts Father - Goal is to be a prize winning fighter and that's his ticket out.
Wilsons Father - Goal is to be a politician and that's his ticket out
Matt's Father - " Always get back up"
Wilsons Father - " Don't Stop Kicking them when their down"
Matt's Father - " Focus on my voice"
Wilsons Father - " Stair at this wall and imagine who you want to be"
Matt - Goes to a Orphanage to be raised by others
Wilson - Goes to a Farm to be raised by others
Matt- Mother is Absent
Wilson - Mother is there but absent in spirit?

Sure there is more. Oh here's one Matt and Fisk probably went to the same school. They're both in Hell's Kitchen so Matt and Fisk probably went to the same school.

There's a great scene in maybe episode 8 where they're slowly panning up silk sheets... I thought it was going to be Matt, 'cause we just had the discussion with him and Stick about how he sleeps in silk sheets. But, nope, it's Fisk. They both sleep in silk sheets, kinda funny.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Counterpoint (I'm defending a scene I thought was ok way too hard), the paddy wagon raid was a very fast 'realistic' (for a comic book) scene rather than a twenty minute rocket launcher chase. It was just a really great speech followed by "WOOPS IT'S ARMED GOON TIME"

That said yea, very clear 'hey guys Batman was cool, right, Daredevil's like Batman!' moment there. There were others but that was probably the most blatant.

Have they talked season 2 at all? It feels like this was made to be a one and done thing but since nearly everyone is saying 'holy poo poo this is great' I could see them doing a second. Maybe get Elektra in the mix and redeem THAT terrible movie for a full circle?

Everything's totally up in the air, and who knows if they'll even make a second season (I do, they will) but DeKnight has shown interest. Here's the most concrete thing that's been said so far:

quote:

“Looking forward, there are so many stories to tell,” says showrunner Steven DeKnight, speaking exclusively to SciFiNow. “The Hand, Elektra, Bullseye… with a 13-episode arc you don’t have to rush it; you can explore. That’s not to say we are going to do Bullseye and Elektra, but it’s on the radar.”

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I think this is what actually happened maybe I just rewatched the scene so it look like it was matt trying to distract him so kind of not Daredevils fault, although he does say he's going to kill Wilson.

Gif of the guy getting torched please.

At this point Matt was still thinking he was alright with committing murder. Personally, I have no question that he purposefully deflected that blade into the lamp to cause the fire. Bouncing stuff around like that is a big thing for Daredevil, that's one of main uses of the billy club thing he has, like what Stick did with the bottlecap. Think Cap and his shield.

Maybe he had it thought out that Nobu could jump into the river and survive if he wanted to.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

In the end though, there's a pretty big difference between desperately lashing out when someone is literally seconds away from killing you, and ending up killing them instead, and deliberately killing someone when you had the option to not do so. Same reason he doesn't get incredibly guilty if gangsters end up killing each other when trying to shoot him, and miss and hit another gangster. It's enough of a distinction that you probably can say that he's not a 'killer' or a 'murderer', much more than you'd start throwing that at someone who ended up killing someone in self defense, at least. Chances are, if he saw any way to disable Nobu nonlethally, he would have.

Oh yeah, definitely. It maps well to the legal definitions of what would be considered "murder", which is pretty fitting for the character.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybTJ7kUdb4

The blind people narration is seriously really cool, guys

I checked it out earlier and it was good, but this is really great. It's like an audiobook. If these guys put 13 60-minute episodes of this together in, like, the 5 or 6 days since there was outcry, they're freakin' amazing. I would subscribe to a service like this just to use as a substitute for podcasts.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

No. I think it's an "inaccurate" rating, like getting a B- on an essay or something, but I agree that I could have worded that better. I still can't come up with the word I'm looking for. Maybe "unfair"?

It's easiest to just say "wrong" if you don't agree with them.

If you think their score didn't match the text of the review, though, then I guess you could go with "unjustified".

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Holy poo poo, I just realized the old mobster Urich talks to in episode three (the one who felt indebted to Urich he didn't drag his kids through the mud when he reported on him, and was also the same guy that Urich mentioned later a possible source who could corroborate Marlene's story about young Wilson Fisk and had "moved to Florida") that was loving Silvermane.

I checked the credits and sure as poo poo, he's credited as Silvio. Silvermane's friggin' great on his own, but that also opens the door for Silver Sable and other weird poo poo.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Snak posted:

Yeah, but it's the same kinda thing as Batman: most of the people he's shown beating up are just street level guys or people who Kingpin has threatened to torture and kill their entire families if they don't work for him. And I'm tired of shows where torture is shown as justified and effective. And here it's not just occasionally. Like "this guy's really bad, and we really need to know what he knows" it's like "welp i need to know some stuff, lets just start beating people until I learn it all." And it works. every. time.

So, in this interpretation, how did Matt end up in the dumpster in the beginning of the second episode? Is this some kind of oppositional reading thing, where you ignore the parts that don't support your interpretation?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Snak posted:

I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about. He ended up there because he was lead into a trap. But every time he needs information, beating still works. Maybe only offscreen beatings provide false information? Who knows! But can you think of a torture scene where he doesn't get correct information by beating someone senseless, stabbing them in the eye socket, and threatening to throw them off buildings? Even if you're right, and I'm wrong about it working every time, my point still stands that this show can clearly be put in the "pro-torture" category.

Sure that's fair. But it's not as cut and dry as you made it look if he almost dies because some of his tortured information was bad and led him into a trap. Even if they don't show him getting bad info, which you're right, that's a meaningful distinction, they still spend a lot of effort showing how hosed up he got because he got bad intel from torture.

Actually, how did he get led into fighting the Ninja? That was a trap too. What was he even looking for, I don't remember. Fisk, maybe?

Also, I don't believe Vladimir gave up any intel because of torture. That's a case where he needed info, and beatings didn't work.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 16, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

edit:

EgoEgress posted:

In fact I think a lot of what this show does is play well-trod plot elements straight but in a competent enough way that it's still engaging.

Lately that's my favorite kind of story.

Sorvah posted:

The whole point is that you DON'T have to artificially produce cliffhangers or rely on 'monster of the week' guff in order to get people to watch the next episode.

Instead you can keep to the important stuff. I much, much prefer it this way.

You could still totally have cliffhangers; it's just that with this method, a "series" is reframed from 13 smaller individual stories to one very long one. It's taking serialization to its most extreme point.

So, since it's only one long story instead of 13 short ones, and cliffhangers by definition can only happen at the end of a story, it means that your cliffhanger has to happen at the end of the season. But it could still happen.

In some ways it's almost as if it's just a a single 13 hour episode.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I hate the suit.

I hate that it looks dumb.

I hate that we're losing the black t-shirt over his face, which looked way cooler.

I loved that Matt got stabbed and beaten up all the time, and the suit takes that away, which I hate.

It'll be fine if he just fights a slightly higher class of opponent. Instead of gritty fights against 3 common thugs/one unpowered professional, it'll be gritty fights against 3 unpowered pros/one powered dude. It lets him fight slightly stronger people while keeping the tone of the fights the same.

Also, regarding the name, wasn't that just something the newspapers made up? Or did Matt do a big "I'm the loving Daredevil" speech, and I forgot?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Why isn't the thread title Avacados At Law?

Truly the greatest miscarriage of justice. Those we trust to protect us have let us down again.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hahaha:

Apparently there's a bowling-themed supervillain named "Tenpin" with the same name as the assassin that Daredevil defends in 1x03, Healy, the guy that killed Prohaska with a bowling ball. Because of course there is.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 17, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I just got a rewatch this week, and I think what's more believeable is the way that he eventually becomes Daredevil is more organic in nature and there's not one singular event that causes him to go " I must become the night!"

Like he has tragedies but not one singular tragedy, him being blinded, his father dying, Sticks training, makes him go " I must become the night".

It's finally him just being fed up with poo poo and wanting to gently caress poo poo up.

What's most interesting to me is that his inspiration to help people comes from his literal inability to tune out the pain of others.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Maybe this has been posted before, but I've never seen it. From an interview with Stephanie Maslansky, the costume designer:
http://fashionista.com/2015/04/daredevil-costume-design

quote:

What about the final red iconic costume that blew up the Internet, via Marvel's tweet?

I have to be honest about this: I did not create that costume. That costume was conceptualized by Marvel, and it was a huge deal. Fabrics were created, pieces were manufactured. The costume was created by utilizing a variety of craftsmen — let’s put it that way — and it really came together over time. What I've been led to understand is it’s typical of the superhero costumes in the Marvel cinematic universe that they are more or less created by comic illustrators themselves, because they're the ones that conceptualize these things. It’s kind of an odd way to work. I have the feeling that if it happens again, then I will get more involved. I told them that I want to. I think that it would be more efficient that way, but that said, I am really happy with the costumes that they came up with.

So in other words, she was trying to find a nice way of saying it was "design by comittee" and it sounds like the main costume designer wasn't even allowed into the process. Pretty much what I expected to begin with.

Please, Marvel, you're getting so good at loosening your grip on everything else, just loosen it on this too. It'll end up in a better costume for your purposes, too, instead of the Homer Car of superhero suits.

(okay it wasn't that bad, but it really wasn't very good and is probably the worst Daredevil costume on film, including the actually quite good "put on random clothes from my dresser" costume and the Ben Affleck trainwreck movie costume)

She also goes into some blindness stuff, like "how does he coordinate his outfits if he can't see colors" and what her answers were for that and they're pretty good if you wanted to see that topic addressed.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 17, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Musluk posted:

Wonder if this is because of pricing for Brazil and uni students in UK/US.

Yeah, Netflix seems to just blindly use the same price everywhere. So it's still ~$8 USD per month in Brazil, despite them having a fifth of the USA's average income. This made for an amusing article when Netflix was made "available" in Cuba to the, like, 3 people who could both afford it and had the internet/media setup to watch it.

BiggerBoat posted:

That's a good point and another perfect example of how Matt's powers are inconsistently portrayed in the series (and often downright ignored) and only featured when it's convenient to the plot. I hadn't thought of that but you're right.

Is that when she had her Hot Lady Shower Scene? Scrubbed away all the smells.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

SomeIdiot posted:

Just finished watching the show a few hours back. Reeeeeally great. Best thing out of the MCU yet, yadda yadda.
I like the costume as it stands, but mainly from the standpoint that's it's pretty obviously meant to be just a step above his first costume, y'know? It looks solid for its role.

Also, on that note, could someone get a gif of that part where Melvin Potter's hella stoked about his Yoohoo? :allears:

Speaking of that, they did a pretty good job keeping the product placement low-key in this show. I never even notice it anyway unless it's really obscene (it usually just makes things look real to me; stupid fake brands can stand out just as bad) but I haven't seen anybody complain about it here. There was some Reese's stuff at one point too, like an ad in a browser or something. I hope they brought in some good money 'cause hey, these guys fuckin' deserve it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

McNerd posted:

Right, and he also had a struggle to beat the bowling ball guy. Pretty lucky nobody in that hallway was the bowling ball guy, or had a taser, or was fat and angry.

edit: I mean it's pretty clear that fight pushed him to his physical limits; if one more guy had come out of a back room with a gun, he'd have been dead. Which is fine, it was a great scene! But obviously he can't do this every day and get away with it.

That bowling ball guy was a professional assassin though, so he was a few steps up from "random thug". Similar class of fighter as Rance, guy that tried to kill Karen.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

mr.capps posted:

If Dazzler could somehow be in this as well, this show would have my three favorite comic book super heroines.

Despite the fact that she's an mutie-rear end X-Man, technically I think MTV may still have her movie rights (and Marvel has even been rumored to have them back already I believe), so theoretically this could be possible.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

surc posted:

*Why was it retarded? let me restate the part of my post you did not quote in clearer ways:The kingpin killing him while he has a history of being one of the few reporters who doesn't drag family members through the mud in his stories (See: that conversation with the mobster in the scene we're introduced to Urich in) which the kingpin is probably aware of considering how much else he has on Urich is loving retarded and hurts both characters. Why would the kingpin expect him to do anything that would compromise his mom when he has a history of doing exactly the opposite? Killing him off also means that they are messing with a bunch of potential plot-arcs from the comic that Ben Urich plays important roles in (Alias/Jessica Jones as well). They can write around it, but it's just loving retarded shock-value/raising the stakes, which is kind of a classic way for the "kill off the token black character" to go.

It did seem like DeKnight's comments basically translated to "Marvel wanted to kill him off 100% because it would be shocking to comic fans" which is like, not exactly the most artistically valid reason. DeKnight & the writers kinda made it work in the show; it made sense that Fisk's decision to kill him was irrational and emotionally-driven, that's the core of who he is. But it felt so telegraphed to me that it didn't have any impact and overall just felt forced. Which, big surprise, it was.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah they go way out of their way, in fact you might argue it's the central internal conflict in the show, to say that the murder of Fisk is a moral issue not a practical one and the killing of Fisk would taint Matt irrevocably and cause more damage than Fisk ever did. (and would in fact make him into a super ninja Kingpin)

So, uh, you missed the whole point of the show.

Yeah, this was what that whole "poisoning the well" speech from the priest was about. Yes, it'd be good for Fisk to be gone. But a human has to actually do that, and when they do, it does terrible damage to them and then society has to deal with THAT person instead. You'd be replacing one murderer with another.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Fasdar posted:

Depending on the fabric used, it is entirely possible to see through what looks like opaque material on the outside.

This isn't just a hypothetical, the costumer did an interview and talked about making sure that mask was see through because, as said, there are very few real-life blind kung fu masters doing stuntwork in Hollywood.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

1x13

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Or she could have just told Kilgrave during his brief flirtation with heroism, "YES, your actions CAN wipe out old debts! Let's go tell the DA to drop all charges!" and then put fifteen bullets in his skull.

But saving Hope wasn't about saving Hope, it was about saving Jessica. Jessica only superficially cares about Hope and whether she ends up in jail or not - what she really wants is for Hope to be redeemed and forgiven in the eyes of society, so that Jessica can also be forgiven, and so that she can forgive herself. Just busting Hope out of jail somehow (including the way Hope eventually got released) doesn't actually achieve what Jessica wants at all. Neither does killing Kilgrave.

PantsBandit posted:

I'm about halfway through the season now. It's mostly been pretty great, though the episode where she thought she was going to go to supermax was way cheesy for some reason

Primarily though I wanted to say that David Tennant absolutely kills it as Kilgrave. Best casting decision in the show, easy.

edit: Oh also it's very silly how often Jessica gets shoved around by normal humans.

This was my biggest problem with the fight scenes. Not just were they :mediocre:, they did a really awful job of showing Jessica as having any kind of heightened strength or other abilities, especially early on. Later they got a bit better with it, but not much.

Well, that and the really really obviously ADR'd in dialogue was super grating and the super jumps looked stupid as hell almost every single time. God, that dubbed in stuff was maybe the most annoying part of the show for me.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 22, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Where would a second season even go? I mean Tennant basically carried the show and I can't imagine watching 13 episodes without him.

I'd be perfectly ok if this didn't get another season. Just leave this as a one and done 13 episodes show.

You may have a point. Give Jessica some more time in Defenders (and maybe in Luke Cage too), and then instead of making another Jessica Jones season right away, shift the main focus to Trish next and do a season of Hellcat, with her investigating IGH and Jessica's origins. Jessica can still be a major character, but her issues won't be the spotlight. Then maybe rotate back to Jessica for the season after that.

Snak posted:

Maybe after Luke Cage's first season they team up and just have one show called Jessica/Cage.

Also this.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

McNerd posted:

The question of whether killing Kilgrave is The Right Thing To Do is obviously not clear-cut, as evidenced by the controversy in this thread alone. But more importantly, it's totally irrelevant. Jessica is not out to save the world, and she is not making decisions based on what will lead to the best world for the most people. She's psychologically incapable of shouldering that kind of burden (or at least she believes herself to be, which effectively amounts to the same thing).

The idea of Jessica asking "What will save the most lives" and consistently making decisions on that basis is laughable, as if Iron Man walked up to Malcolm while he was chained to the toilet and invited him to suit up and fight terrorists. Suiting up and fighting terrorists is obviously the morally superior choice compared to sitting at home and struggling with addiction day after day. But it's also totally out of the question.

What Jessica is capable of--again, in her own mind--is fairly modest. She can work a case to help one person at a time (like Hope) and later a few more (like the support group). She can try to fix a few problems for which she feels personally responsible. And in the process she can do some good, beat her demons back, and work her way up to taking on a little more. Trish may or may not feel differently (I don't recall) but she's following Jessica's lead.

Good show. Wish I could have said it this well.

Like, in a sense the people who are saying that killing Kilgrave right away is the best thing to do are right, and it's what Jessica 'should' have done, and it's a mark against her for not doing it. But that doesn't make the show badly written, and it doesn't make Jessica badly written or even a bad or dumb person. She's trying to work through her poo poo as best she can.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 27, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Snak posted:

Nah, I liked it too.

:shrug: I liked it, but it wasn't anywhere near my favorite element. Almost everyone else was more interesting to me. (that's not an insult, this show had a really great cast, and Moss and Weigert did very well with what they were given) But then, I don't have a lot of life experience with the queer urban professional scene. I'm sure that plot resonates much more with a different crowd.

Also, as others have said, Jeri's plot fit really well thematically, but didn't contribute that much to the narrative in the end, so I understand why people feel like it was a waste. If Jeri never shows up again, that'll be a valid criticism. If they were using this opportunity to build up an interesting character for Iron Fist, though, then that explains why her story hasn't paid off yet, and I'll be able to forgive them for it.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 28, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

I wonder if they could use Tombstone, normally a Spider-Man villain and adjust him for Luke Cage.

Keith David voiced an incredible Tombstone on an animated Spider-Man, where he was sort of a stand-in for Fisk. Far as I'm concerned he could still handle him in live action, too. :colbert:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Takei is Okay posted:

Just finished the series. Overall I liked it a lot! I took breaks, only watched 1-2 a day, so the constant "Killgrave captured / Killgrave escapes / Killgrave hurts more people" loop didn't bother me so much.

Looking back on what people have said, and how I watched the series, I think this applies to me as well. When Daredevil came out I binged the poo poo out of that poo poo as fast as I could. Every episode is out on day 1? No need to wait!

But in the end I found it really reduced the quality of the experience. A decently rich show like this needs some loving room to breathe. I need some time to consider what I just saw, decompress what just happened, get ready for what's next. At least, if the show is doing it's job I do. You don't chug a single malt scotch.

So I made a very conscious decision to only watch 2, 3 episodes max at a time with JJ, and this time I didn't start to feel impatient for the overall plot to get resolved as the show wore on, didn't feel like I was basically rewatching a scene I just saw an hour or three ago. I got a lot more out of it. Don't get me wrong, more power to you if you can keep up 13 hours of marathon watching, but I'm definitely gonna keep spacing stuff like this out in the future.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

He wanted forgiveness. That's selfish, sure. But almost everyone is selfish in that way. Jessica wants the same thing. Jessica sleeping with Luke Cage under false pretenses is creepier than what Simpson does there.

Sure, probably. Like others have said, Jessica struggles with similar issues. But she was aware it was hosed up, felt bad about it, and eventually felt the need to try to stop and maybe even make up for it. Nothing like that can be said for Simpson. Looking back, his almost meet-cute esque hallway scene has a lot of messed up elements, like the not-so-innocent barbie dreamhouse inferno. Originally it seemed like it reflected really well on Trish as a really forgiving, kind person, but it probably reflects more on her tendency to allow abusers into her life.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

mycot posted:

It did though, I'm quoting here.

If it helps, I believe the toxic masculinity quote was one of those "joke" things you hear about sometimes. (at the very least, intentionally facetious)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

mycot posted:

The original toxic masculinity comment didn't really feel like a joke, and neither did the one saying I had backwards worldviews about violence and women. But, like, you're already making fun of me so I don't think I can do anything more other than claim I have heard of the concept of jokes before.

Point taken, I'll ratchet it back. I'm not sure what all else was a joke, and it sucks that someone assumed you (or whoever it was, I often ignore usernames) was a white dude (honestly I'm glad if the forum has diversified because there was a time when it truly WAS almost entirely white guys), and we could dig into these issues if you like, but at some point we're not even discussing the show anymore and just having a discussion of forum politics.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

Well there sort of is. From a pharmacological standpoint, pills are designed to release at a certain point in the body to reach whatever effectiveness level they're intended for. If the pill dissolves too early or too late, it will be less effective.

Sure, but "less effective" is kind of a relative term. Maybe those pills are meant to gradually release over time to produce a prolonged, but reduced, boost; and by dissolving them all at once like that, he gets the full dose instantly. Less effective at functioning for 4 hours at a stable level, but great at if you want killer boost for like 10 minutes and then maybe almost get a heart attack.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Apparently Buck also has some experience with Rome, as a writer and EP? That's probably a good thing for the action angle I guess, though I've never seen it myself. How were the episodes he wrote on that show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Gyges posted:

The Spider-Man franchise invasion of Jessica Jones was really pretty good and would make a good season 2 if they can work it out right with Sony.

I don't know if the MCU age difference makes it not work, or just makes it funnier. Play it like Ultimate Black Cat. (Who was an adult woman grossed out to discover she has a crush on, and was hitting on, a young teen) With how much of a gently caress up Jessica is, that could work as a comedy option.

Or alternatively it could be INCREDIBLY skeevy borderline pedophile horrible poo poo. The Black Cat stuff kinda was in the comics. But I think these show runners could pull it off, with a light enough touch. They've earned a lot of trust from me.