Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Raserys posted:

It's the lesser of two evils. Do you make the first Asian guy a magic

Personally I'm hoping for Indian, like from India. Like a rich American/British Indian. You miss out on a lot of the negatives from both sides, but you still get the positives. He's still Asian instead of just another white dude, but not "racist caricature Kung Fu Asian". But by making him both Indian & also culturally western European, you also get to keep the "Stranger in a Strange Land" origin in a way that feels authentic. I think it'd really work well.

I don't know much about Indian actors (other than the dude that plays Ravi on iZombie), but I bet there are actually a bunch of really good people just dying to get work.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

broken clock opsec posted:

What, southeast Asians still not good enough for the white man? Gotta mix it up a little with the British white man too because God forbid we get somebody who's not coded as lily white European savior of savages right?

gently caress you. That's actually worse than just reprising American Ninja.

Nah Southeast Asian would be pretty great too.

Also, if Daniel Rand is American born then whether he's Indian, Caucasian, or Thai, you're still gonna have some element of the westerner being the savior of the "savages". I don't see how you get around that unless they just set the entire show in the Kunlun mountains in China itself, make all the actors Chinese, and make them speak Chinese with subtitles the entire time.

(I also disagree that just because they're not portrayed as western & modern, the society of K'un Lun would automatically classify as "savages", though I understand how it evokes those kinds of stories and racist coding and why you bring it up)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

adhuin posted:

Or just commands you non-verbally to take off the headphones (His power is based on pheromones, not audio)

OR YELLS THE COMMANDS REALLY LOUDLY! (good luck blocking that with cheap headphones).

To block his powers, you need something hermetically sealed like a Hazard suit or the Iron Man suit.

Why didn't she use one?

A: She's not that smart

They also didn't know how the powers worked until relatively late into the game.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

oh poo poo is this happening toNIGHT, not tomorrow in the middle of the day at some point?

loving crazy, I feel like we just had the last season. Marvel's going wild all-in with these series. Far as I'm concerned it's a better investment than the movies anyway, that format's slowly dying while this one's in bloom, and the longer narrative arc available in a full season is just better suited to comic book adaptations anyway.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't disagree about TV, but each loving superhero movie keeps making more money than the last so I dunno how you can say this

True, but:

Movie Theater Attendance Hits 20-Year Low

The revenues are going up, and in particular the superhero movies seem to keep doing better each year, but it kinda seems like people are very gradually going out to movie theaters less and less. It's an exaggeration to say that industry is "dying", sure, but with the massive explosion of popularity of media in the home and mobile spaces it doesn't seem like a good look to me.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Why not? At the end of the day, studios are about gross profits on a title. Whether people watch the title in a movie theater or at home doesn't really matter.

Yeah, guess that makes sense. I did just hear about some kind of initiative to release first-run movies directly to viewers homes.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

:killdozer::killdozer::killdozer::killdozer::killdozer::killdozer::killdozer::killdozer::killdozer::killdozer::killdozer::killdozer::killdozer::killdozer::killdozer::killdozer::killdozer::killdozer:

:boom:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Frank was the target of that shootout all along. And it's heavily implied by his talk at the end with Blacksmith it's because Frank didn't join up with him after the war. Blacksmith chose the place for the deal because he knew that's where Frank took his family. It probably went south because of one of his men. Frank was targeted with a shot to his head. Frank realized who Blacksmith was at the docks when one of his former war buddies called out "Long time no see, Frank!" That's the same guy Karen saw in the photo who was getting put into a body bag at the docks. The DA tried to cover it up because she had an undercover there and could have saved the civilians but didn't, and didn't want any of that falling back on her, which is why she erased evidence of Frank and his family being there, and put the DNR on him.

all series

Ah, yes, the double secret conspiracy, always a good choice that doesn't lead to confused audiences.

Still, 'twas a good season and as everyone has said they did a good job with Castle. I was very skeptical of giving that character a show, and it still wouldn't be my first choice, but they've earned a lot of good faith towards a project like that.

Great season for Foggy, too. Hope he shows up in Iron Fist.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Season 2 Spoiler Anyone notice that the whole series is about killing vs. not killing and Matt just straight up kills Nobu at the end?

Wait, which season are we talking about again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I'm catching up for Defenders and I've heard so much bad poo poo about Iron Fist that I never touched it. Is it worth watching any part of it? I was thinking maybe, first and last episode? Any particular standouts?