Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

gon' be tired at work tomorrow. Yessiree.

edit: That first episode was amazing.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

The TV IV › Daredevil: WE ARE FILLED WITH MIGHTY EEL STRENGTH

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 10, 2015

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

I've never been a huge daredevil fan or anything, but I really liked the show.

My only real concern is that like Arrow they're going to start bringing in supervillains who are progressively more and more ridiculous. Right now it sits comfortably on the realistic side of the realistic/fantastic divide, despite some mystical ninja poo poo. Matt's super abilities are definitely abnormal, but he's not, say... throwing a magic hammer around or flying. I hope they don't gently caress that up by importing crazy poo poo that needs to be backed up by CGI effects.

From what I recall of DD's villain stable, there aren't any really crazy superpowered ones, except for the mystical ninja poo poo so hopefully it stays low level and violent.

I basically want the opposite of the Marvel Universe films.

Series: I would have liked to see Fisk throwing daredevil around a little more, but I think that at this point he isn't really the kingpin. I remember a comic in which he fought off a bunch of ninjas as his after-waking-before-breakfast workout, and I don't think we're there yet.

Edit: I would really really like a punisher show, Netflix. While you're, you know, soaking up marvel properties. I would even settle for a foolkiller show.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 12, 2015

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

Watched it all. I liked it. Not as much as Daredevil, but it was very good. My only complaint is that I would have liked a couple more not-Kilgrave cases in the beginning before ramping up to the main plot. But I appreciate that they only had a limited amount of episodes to work with and they had a lot of story to tell.

I had only the vaguest of ideas who most of the characters were before watching the show. Whatever series jessica jones exists in, it was not in any of the comics I ever read, though Cage showed up occasionally. So I wasn't expecting to be as engrossed as I was.

I'm digging the hell out of netflix's marvel deal. Looking forward to Punisher and DD2.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

Man, I can't get over how good the soundtrack to this show was. I mean, the show itself was pretty good, especially Shades, who I think had a more interesting personality than any one else- But holy poo poo that soundtrack. The soundtrack and Harlem itself were the stars of Luke Cage and it was pretty loving well directed. The dialog had some weak parts, and some of the side characters seemed to be "Angry Gang Member #1" and "Angry Gang Member #2," but even the weak parts were still pretty good.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

Jesus gently caress this is awful. And I hate that it's awful, because I've liked them all so far and I'm worried that this one bombing so bad will cause netflix to pull back on future marvel shows, either lowering the budget or canceling them completely.

I'm on episode 8 now and I'm forcing myself to continue out of sheer stubbornness.

The most disappointing part is that Jessica Henwick is alright, even though everyone's dialog is terrible. A show about her character- cage fighting for money to keep her dojo afloat while she fights The Hand for the safety of her stable of young gay martial artist apprentices would at least be interesting. Instead, we got Not-Oliver Queen stumbling around bumping into poo poo and announcing to literally anyone who walks by that he's from a mystical land where there are dragons and how he can do magic if he focuses his chi, and then getting inexplicably furious when nobody takes his naruto bullshit seriously.

Everything is terrible. The writing is terrible, the special effects are terrible, the fight scenes are terrible. It's a movie about a kungfu master in which the fight choreography is laughably awkward, with Not-Oliver Queen flailing around in slow motion as stunt men do their best to hit his fists with their faces. I do not understand how we went from the Daredevil stuff to this nonsense. There's a different director, i guess, but is the rest of the crew all new as well? How did this go so wrong?

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

Ugh. Episode 10. I'm not sure I can do this anymore.

I think when making a show that revolves around martial arts, it would have been a much better idea to get an MMA guy or somebody who is in the business of face punching, and then help them with the acting, rather than the reverse, which is what they did here (arguably- the acting isn't great either). I would have been perfectly okay with a blank-faced MMA featherweight dude in a hoody hamming up the lines arnold-style if the fight choreography was on point.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

I thought LC2 was fantastic. Once again the music is the best part of a good show though. Doing "live" performances throughout the series was a good idea. My only real complaint is that while I understand that they are showcasing how strong Luke is by having him just tap people and sort of lightly toss them around while fighting, I really wish they would at least do a little fight choreography. The scenes where he's fighting bushmaster were pretty weak on Luke's part. Again, I get the point of it- he doesn't have to worry about jujitsu normally because of the super strength, but he was trained as a cop, so I mean... at least convincingly throw some punches. It wasn't all terrible but the fighting wasn't that great either, especially compared to Bushmaster who seemed to be pulling out some moves.

Also, I was catching up on the thread...
Ghostrider chat from about 10 pages back: Danny Ketch is still the best ghostrider, and his comic run is panel-to-panel made for a Crow style tv show. I can't understand why they keep going to the Johnny Blaze well. He's the least interesting of all of them. The Robbie Reyes cameo episodes on AoS were the only moderately interesting AoS episodes to date, but that isn't saying a whole lot.

Arrowverse chat from 7 pages back: The only good Arrowverse show was season one of Arrow, when he was basically punisherbatman. Once they decided to make it more light-hearted and goofy it went completely to poo poo. The other shows all started out as kevin sorbo hercules inspired romps and so have never been good. The flash is the worst. Wentworth Miller manages to make LoT not complete poo poo for one season but then he leaves and it turns into even more retarded Doctor Who and the scooby gang for three more seasons or whatever. I don't want to say I'm mad at the CW but I wish they wouldn't have made season 1 of arrow so good so that I got invested. I was prepared for pretty people with problems and they tricked me into thinking it would be something else with a bait-and-switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

I never read the Iron Fist comics. Was it just a whole bunch of awful family drama? Is Iron Fist related to all of his antagonists in some way?

I'm on episode 4 and so far it's pretty much as bad as the first season. Maybe with slightly better fight choreography, but not by a lot.